San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Puro Pinche Loteria

Kermit

This game is coming down to rebounds and free-throws. Unfortunately, tonight the Spurs suck at both. I’m sure the game won’t come down to a controversial foul call. 

Is Poeltl really this bad at rebounding? He’s had his hands on numerous balls without bringing them down. Dude is constantly fumbling the ball away, and with his distaste for dunking the ball he’s going to surpass Patty as my least favorite Spurs player. 

Edited by Kermit

DeMar seems to be reverting back to frustrating DeMar from last year as the season wears on.

I'm at the point with Patty where I'm irritated every time the play called has him as ball handler.

For the life of me I don't understand why DJ doesn't get more run as the primary ball handler. Good things happen when he does.

Patty was getting abused, and I swear this is the 3rd game in a row that I've seen Patty dribble the ball off his fucking foot. What the fuck mate, have some shame, you're a fucking point guard (supposedly). 

Poetl with a big step back last night. I have noticed the progress, he's becoming great on defense, but that shit on the boards was horrendous. 

2 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Patty was getting abused, and I swear this is the 3rd game in a row that I've seen Patty dribble the ball off his fucking foot. What the fuck mate, have some shame, you're a fucking point guard (supposedly). 

Poetl with a big step back last night. I have noticed the progress, he's becoming great on defense, but that shit on the boards was horrendous. 

I'm not worried about Poeltl. He's was excellent before the ASB. He's allowed to have a bad game. 

Patty needs to go. I don't care what his shooting #s are - it's 2021. We should be able to replace his minutes with similar shooting and better defense pretty easily. Pop surprised me by buying out/trading LMA which I didn't think he'd do - he could stand to do the same with a couple other guys.

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm not worried about Poeltl. He's was excellent before the ASB. He's allowed to have a bad game. 

Patty needs to go. I don't care what his shooting #s are - it's 2021. We should be able to replace his minutes with similar shooting and better defense pretty easily. Pop surprised me by buying out/trading LMA which I didn't think he'd do - he could stand to do the same with a couple other guys.

Well, our starting back court was 1-7 from deep last night (everyone else shot well) and together shooting 32% from distance....... so maybe not.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Well, our starting back court was 1-7 from deep last night (everyone else shot well) and together shooting 32% from distance....... so maybe not.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe outside our roster. Murray and DeMar being not good from 3 ties our hands a bit.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, I was thinking maybe outside our roster. Murray and DeMar being not good from 3 ties our hands a bit.

I was talking about Murray and White, but hell, good point.  Add DeMar in there and we're at....... 32%.  Nice.  Now White has been hurt and it's a SSS but he's not a great shooter from distance either.  If he can up in that 35/36% career number then that's functional but I think folks were hoping he'd take a little step forward.

Interestingly enough, our best 3 shooters are mostly old guys.  Not going to count Luka or Tre Jones as they have a SSS, but Patty, Rudy, Lyles, Walker, and LMA are our best shooters from distance.  So....... caught in a quandary there.  LMA is gone.  Rudy may be on his way out.  Trey Lyles is like our 10th guy.  So, in the constant balancing act of pushing for the playoffs or looking toward the future, the franchise is probably keenly aware of it's situation.  Only Vassell and Lonnie are in our top 6 shooters from 3 and Devin's still wet behind the ears and the light still hasn't come on for Lonnie.  Interesting rock -- hard place.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I was talking about Murray and White, but hell, good point.  Add DeMar in there and we're at....... 32%.  Nice.  Now White has been hurt and it's a SSS but he's not a great shooter from distance either.  If he can up in that 35/36% career number then that's functional but I think folks were hoping he'd take a little step forward.

Interestingly enough, our best 3 shooters are mostly old guys.  Not going to count Luka or Tre Jones as they have a SSS, but Patty, Rudy, Lyles, Walker, and LMA are our best shooters from distance.  So....... caught in a quandary there.  LMA is gone.  Rudy may be on his way out.  Trey Lyles is like our 10th guy.  So, in the constant balancing act of pushing for the playoffs or looking toward the future, the franchise is probably keenly aware of it's situation.  Only Vassell and Lonnie are in our top 6 shooters from 3 and Devin's still wet behind the ears and the light still hasn't come on for Lonnie.  Interesting rock -- hard place.

Lonnie is such an enigma. There are games/stretches where he's our best threat from deep - and there are games/stretches where I just pray that he hits the backboard. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Lonnie is such an enigma. There are games/stretches where he's our best threat from deep - and there are games/stretches where I just pray that he hits the backboard. 

Yea, he came in as an out of control player so he needs to be broken in and shows stretches where he plays smart disciplined ball, but far too many games, he's just playing rec league out there.  My biggest disappointment with Lonnie is he doesn't do enough beyond try to score.  He has great athleticism, let's see some more rebounding.  He sees the game okay, how about creating more offense by passing?  Steals..... blocks.  He doesn't do enough dirty work and if you're not efficient at scoring then you're sort of not that valuable.  Not sure if he's every gonna get it or just be Jonathan Simmons.

I'm glad they are moving LA for his sake. They should've done it sooner and got some value for him but I understand why they didn't. As bad as the nephew fucked the whole organization, LA got the ass end of it too. He signed up to be the second banana and make runs at rings and got put in the middle of a rebuild because of that petulant cunt. I hope he goes somewhere (other than the Clippers) and gets a ring. People dogged him when he first got to San Antonio but he acted like a pro the whole time. I wish it had gone differently for him in the black and silver but I'll always respect the dude. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Me: "that sucks but at least we'll get to see DJM run the offense more"

Pop:

happy gregg popovich GIF by SB NationProud Nba Playoffs GIF by NBA

Dejounte has looked mediocre lately. Forced shots, turnovers. Not looking so hot to start this game either, but then again neither is anyone else.

Can somebody walk me through the Spurs organizational strategy here? If you're moving on from LMA, you have to be looking at Patty and Gay as guys who are taking minutes from your developing core. Seems like an obvious time to move on from Lyles as well. He is what he is and that is not championship level basketball. Is Eubanks really the best you can do in the backup big department? They seem to be on the cusp of being really good but not making any moves to take that next step.

Can they not make some sort of play for Drummond? I know he doesn't seem like the typical Spurs culture fit, but he's a talented big who may have just never been in a functional organization before.

If the Pistons are going fire sale, what about Jerami Grant? Hell, Mason Plumlee would be a decent short-term upgrade in the frontcourt.

Atlanta is in the midst of a disappointing year and might be looking at a re-org after firing their coach. They have some attractive pieces. Can the Spurs put together any sort of package for a guy like Collins or Huerter?

3 hours ago, Kermit said:

You went, right? How was it? 

Awesome. Started slow. Missing bunnies. White in foul trouble. 

but then we kicked it in gear. 

Good to see Mo Bamba. At times he didn’t look happy. 

I got 5th place on the arena wide Trivia. won a goodie bag. Blue tooth speaker. Patty bobble head. 

I missed 1 question. Where in SA is NIOSA held..... 

Edited by kingkoopa6
  • Like 1

How I fix my photos ?

[img]https://i.ibb.co/X8TDdH4/8-AF272-F9-359-E-41-F8-952-B-3105-C56-B0325.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/x35ZR3B/68-C01-AD3-0-B34-4-D15-A186-BF82-BAC0-A81-F.png[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/RvF7L4z/66466-CE2-AA6-A-4613-99-AB-6-E395845508-F.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/Vmd8zkK/20548276-F29-A-42-BB-B04-C-AA24-EB36881-A.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/yswXTF7/DB6-C0-E8-F-B543-4-C62-A1-C4-445296276718.jpg[/img]

8 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

How I fix my photos ?

[img]https://i.ibb.co/X8TDdH4/8-AF272-F9-359-E-41-F8-952-B-3105-C56-B0325.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/x35ZR3B/68-C01-AD3-0-B34-4-D15-A186-BF82-BAC0-A81-F.png[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/RvF7L4z/66466-CE2-AA6-A-4613-99-AB-6-E395845508-F.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/Vmd8zkK/20548276-F29-A-42-BB-B04-C-AA24-EB36881-A.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/yswXTF7/DB6-C0-E8-F-B543-4-C62-A1-C4-445296276718.jpg[/img]

Use other media and insert image from url.

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

Can somebody walk me through the Spurs organizational strategy here? If you're moving on from LMA, you have to be looking at Patty and Gay as guys who are taking minutes from your developing core. Seems like an obvious time to move on from Lyles as well. He is what he is and that is not championship level basketball. Is Eubanks really the best you can do in the backup big department? They seem to be on the cusp of being really good but not making any moves to take that next step.

Can they not make some sort of play for Drummond? I know he doesn't seem like the typical Spurs culture fit, but he's a talented big who may have just never been in a functional organization before.

If the Pistons are going fire sale, what about Jerami Grant? Hell, Mason Plumlee would be a decent short-term upgrade in the frontcourt.

Atlanta is in the midst of a disappointing year and might be looking at a re-org after firing their coach. They have some attractive pieces. Can the Spurs put together any sort of package for a guy like Collins or Huerter?

I think they are moving on from LMA to do right by him. I don't think they necessarily want him to leave and I don't think it represents anything fundamental in their strategy. Poetl has surprisingly become a winning player for them and LMA wants more time or to start or to play for a title contender or whatever.

I think they are riding out the season, trying to win as many games as they can, and developing the young guys as best they can.  But they aren't going to tank. They aren't going to bench vets that contribute to winning. They want to continue the franchise's winning culture and hope that one or two of their young guys make the leap.

Now they obviously need bigs and I would be a big fan of Samanic getting more minutes, but they aren't going to make any big moves, especially in season. I think I read the last time they made an in season trade was in 2014 when they sent Nando de Colo to Toronto for Austin Daye. Grant is probably the only piece the Pistons are actively trying to hang on to. Trey Lyles is meh but he's still only 25 and has some skill. Andre Drummond? Lol. 

9 hours ago, Llogg said:

200.gif

I don't think they know.  The culture of winning I guess is their strategy, but we've long questioned whether they have the right outlook to do this on the fly without a superstar foundational player like the Admiral or Timmah.  The early analysis would be we don't.  

As far as Drummond, there's not real upside because he's a UFA.  I posited maybe doing something small for him and then trying to package him in the offseason in a S&T to gather more assets but working asset margins isn't really what PATFO has tried in the past and anytime they've tried to engage in a strategy around the cap is to stretch guaranteed money into the future for older vets for the current season (Dick Jefferson, Pau, Timmah, etc).  It appears they want to make a push at a first round exit for the benefit of..... who the fuck knows.  Pistons came out a couple of weeks ago and said they weren't interested in moving Grant.  LMA?  I think they both wanted to move on and as already written, they waited a year or two long to move him and get any real value for him.  We're 3 years post-Kawhi and I have no idea what they're doing besides acquiring nice, solid young players but you can't win championships building around those.  Maybe they get lucky in this year's draft?

I'd love to get Collins, but what do you give them?  Demar and something?  Would Atlanta take that?  Would PATFO sacrifice this year for a guy like Collins, who isn't a superstar either?  Probably not.  It's sort of intriguing to watch it play out.  Again, I don't think anyone really knows what their long-term strategy is.  It's almost like they just do things year to year.  A challenging ownership issue really bogs down any accountability or outlook for the organization too.  Again, maybe we get a surprise or maybe we luck out in next year's draft but I think for restless folks like myself, one just has to sit back and try and enjoy watching some of the young, role players develop.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Awesome. Started slow. Missing bunnies. White in foul trouble. 

but then we kicked it in gear. 

Good to see Mo Bamba. At times he didn’t look happy. 

I got 5th place on the arena wide Trivia. won a goodie bag. Blue tooth speaker. Patty bobble head. 

I missed 1 question. Where in SA is NIOSA held..... 

La Villita.