San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Puro Pinche Loteria

Kermit

It's painful to watch but this is more of what I expected out of this team all season. The first couple of months were enjoyable and they clearly overachieved, but this output is more consistent with their talent level. Also, it seems like they got away from their bubble style of play and have reverted back to their old iso crap. I don't know how much of that is on Derozan - I think it's more Pop. They have got to let the young guys get out and run and play at pace.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's painful to watch but this is more of what I expected out of this team all season. The first couple of months were enjoyable and they clearly overachieved, but this output is more consistent with their talent level. Also, it seems like they got away from their bubble style of play and have reverted back to their old iso crap. I don't know how much of that is on Derozan - I think it's more Pop. They have got to let the young guys get out and run and play at pace.

I guess I thought Pop would push that talent level over the edge. Either he's not capable at this point or has quit trying or the talent level is worse than I thought. Or we lack any semblance of leadership and winning veteran presence. It doesn't really matter what the case is. This is a bad basketball team right now. 

It's time to rip the band-aid off.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:54 PM, Radical Larry said:

We have a chance to lose a close one instead of getting blown out.

Nailed it. 

Fuck this team. Not the Spurs - I love the Spurs - but this year's team (including Pop) can fuck off. Make up your mind and fucking do something. It's like they're trying to play .500 ball. And I'm not sure anyone has demonstrated that they are irreplaceable or integral to this team's future. Dejounte and Keldon have flashed from time to time but if you told me we traded them I'd almost be indifferent. Maybe that's why we suck.

And I know we're up 19 on the Suns after half - and yet DeMar and Patty aren't playing. But guess what - I bet they'll play plenty in the next game! Where's PatrickBateman to tell me how unappreciated DeMar is and how he's by far our best player?

Edited by ztejas

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Nailed it. 

Fuck this team. Not the Spurs - I love the Spurs - but this year's team (including Pop) can fuck off. Make up your mind and fucking do something. It's like they're trying to play .500 ball. And I'm not sure anyone has demonstrated that they are irreplaceable or integral to this team's future. Dejounte and Keldon have flashed from time to time but if you told me we traded them I'd almost be indifferent. Maybe that's why we suck.

And I know we're up 19 on the Suns after half - and yet DeMar and Patty aren't playing. But guess what - I bet they'll play plenty in the next game! Where's PatrickBateman to tell me how unappreciated DeMar is and how he's by far our best player?

tenor.gif

You seem plussed....

I've given up the dream of them catching Nola for the 11th seed. And Sacramento and OKC aren't even pretending anymore. Last night was a big blow. I guess it's still possible but the Pels don't seem capable of getting their shit together. Ultimately the difference in lottery chances is what, 1 or 2 percent? So I guess it isn't a big deal. This team is making the play in tournament I'm afraid. Hopefully we can get in and somehow fuck Dallas over. That's kind of the dream scenario outside of a lottery miracle. 

I haven't really started my deep dive into the draft but my initial impression is that there is an absolute dearth of big men. I hope I'm wrong but they are going to end up with another wing or backcourt player, or have to reach for a big. At some point they are going to have get off their ass and make a trade to fix the roster imbalance. 

So I actually went to the game last night -- it was a bit surreal but it was fun to see live basketball. The piped in crowd noise is off putting at best, but it would probably feel like a morgue in there otherwise.

The Spurs looked really good until Miami went to that zone trap and then they completely fell apart. I can't recall an NBA team just coming utterly unglued at a simple coaching adjustment. Miami is the more talented team by far, but that was fucking ridiculous. They had no clue what to do. None. I can't recall Pop just getting schooled like that, pretty much ever. 

I’ll give credit where it’s due. Patty was fucking awesome tonight. Dude came in a played his ass off on defense, hit some huge shots, and wasn’t a shitstain. Sucks to lose Derrick, but next man up. Devin can get some shine. 

3 hours ago, Kermit said:

I’ll give credit where it’s due. Patty was fucking awesome tonight. Dude came in a played his ass off on defense, hit some huge shots, and wasn’t a shitstain. Sucks to lose Derrick, but next man up. Devin can get some shine. 

Who are you and what have you done with Kermit? 

Sucks for White. He has been playing well the past few weeks. Prior to that, I thought he had regressed this season. But whatever. Banged up early in the season, now banged up late. I don't know how dependable he is long term. On another note... Derozan has been great the past few games. I'm not a fan of the hero ball, but dude has been clutch down the stretch.

Also... I've started digging into the draft and barring a lottery miracle, I don't see any bigs that are going to slip to them. It's slim pickins to begin with. Mobley is probably the #2 pick in the draft and really the only other lottery guy left is Kai Jones -- and I don't know that he lasts until 12-14 where they should be picking. I'm trying to talk myself into Isiaiah Jackson from Kentucky who seems uber athletic but brain dead. He's a 'put him in Austin and call me in two years' guy. I'm very intrigued by Alperen Segun - he's like the Turkish Kevin McHale. He had more up and under post up moves on his highlight reel than I've seen in the last 10 years of watching the NBA. If he were two inches taller, I would be all over him. I might be all over him, anyway just because he would be fun to watch and he's got a great feel for the game. I don't know if he's going to be able to establish post position against the kind of guys he's going to face in the NBA, but he's really, really skilled.

If they draft another backcourt guy without moving somebody currently on the roster, I'm going to lose my shit. From the bigger wing department, I do like Moses Moody from Arkansas and Scottie Barnes from Florida State, if they think they can fix his shot. I've seen lots of mock where those two are gone by the time they pick too. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Sucks for White. He has been playing well the past few weeks. Prior to that, I thought he had regressed this season. But whatever. Banged up early in the season, now banged up late. I don't know how dependable he is long term. On another note... Derozan has been great the past few games. I'm not a fan of the hero ball, but dude has been clutch down the stretch.

Also... I've started digging into the draft and barring a lottery miracle, I don't see any bigs that are going to slip to them. It's slim pickins to begin with. Mobley is probably the #2 pick in the draft and really the only other lottery guy left is Kai Jones -- and I don't know that he lasts until 12-14 where they should be picking. I'm trying to talk myself into Isiaiah Jackson from Kentucky who seems uber athletic but brain dead. He's a 'put him in Austin and call me in two years' guy. I'm very intrigued by Alperen Segun - he's like the Turkish Kevin McHale. He had more up and under post up moves on his highlight reel than I've seen in the last 10 years of watching the NBA. If he were two inches taller, I would be all over him. I might be all over him, anyway just because he would be fun to watch and he's got a great feel for the game. I don't know if he's going to be able to establish post position against the kind of guys he's going to face in the NBA, but he's really, really skilled.

If they draft another backcourt guy without moving somebody currently on the roster, I'm going to lose my shit. From the bigger wing department, I do like Moses Moody from Arkansas and Scottie Barnes from Florida State, if they think they can fix his shot. I've seen lots of mock where those two are gone by the time they pick too. 

It hurts Whites trade value too.  He’s older so there has been speculation about trading him.  Issue is Lonnie hasn’t really progressed much beyond scoring every 4th game.  I really don’t know what the Spurs do besides make a play in game and get beat there or in the first round.

Good thing we held on to these expiring guys and didn’t get anything for them.