San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Puro Pinche Loteria

Kermit

2 minutes ago, Assman said:

The depressing part is we'll probably be worse next year.  Truly wandering the desert.

Maybe we could stand to REALLY suck for a year or two to turn this thing around. 

I mean the last time we REALLY sucked we got 5 titles out of it. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Rudy was not our problem tonight. 

If you don't think a 34-year-old Rudy Gay taking 21 shots is a problem, I dunno what to tell you.

That said, this roster is so broken, getting rid of DeMar and/or Rudy wouldn't be enough. Mills is dead weight. DJM is never going to be a true point guard, Poeltl should be depth off the bench, White's future is uncertain, and on and on.

It's not that San Antonio lacks a true No.1, it's that it also lacks Nos. 2-3.

But I don't really have faith in PATFO to dig the team out from where it's headed. The more time goes by, the more I wonder if they just lucked out with guys like Tim and Manu.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'll just conclude by saying: Fuck Kawhi.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

If you don't think a 34-year-old Rudy Gay taking 21 shots is a problem, I dunno what to tell you.

He shot above the team's FG% and his last miss was a desperation heave. Of course we shouldn't have Rudy taking 21 shots but that's just the reality of this team right now. If we're looking at "reasons why we lost" Rudy Gay's shooting performance wasn't very high up the list. 

Just now, ztejas said:

He shot above the team's FG% and his last miss was a desperation heave. Of course we shouldn't have Rudy taking 21 shots but that's just the reality of this team right now. If we're looking at "reasons why we lost" Rudy Gay's shooting performance wasn't very high up the list. 

Well, his everything else is always high up the list.

To quote everyone's favorite warden, how can you be so obtuse?

Rudy needing to take 21 shots is definitely a problem. Not with Rudy as a player--he's just doing his job--but the fact that the team "needs" him to shoot that much. Or be on the floor that much at all at his age and current ability.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
third try's the charm (shawshank quote)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Rudy needing to take 21 shots is definitely a problem. Not with Rudy as a player--he's just doing his job--but the fact that the team "needs" him to shoot that much. Or be on the floor that much at all at his age and current ability.

Yeah. We're saying the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Well, his everything else is always high up the list.

Well he rebounded better than DeMar and I'd find it hard to believe anyone on the team played worse defense than DeMar did tonight. 

Yeah. We're saying the same thing. 

Well he rebounded better than DeMar and I'd find it hard to believe anyone on the team played worse defense than DeMar did tonight. 

Can’t they both suck? I’m not interested in debating which sucked worse. Rudy and Demar can both go and suck somewhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1

As much as DD shit the bed tonight, letting him walk without getting anything in return is going to be a real kick in the junk.  I know Kawhi had a gun to the head of PATFO and they took the best offer they could get, but once DD is gone, the reality hits that we let a top 5 player go and have nothing to show for it (Poeltl doesn't count).  No FA worth a shit will ever sign with this team, so our only way forward is to build through the draft, which at this rate, will be a long process.  The odds of us hitting on another TD or Kawhi in the draft are extremely slim.  Time to wander the desert.  Or comb it.  Whatever it takes.

1 hour ago, Assman said:

The depressing part is we'll probably be worse next year.  Truly wandering the desert.

Disagree. If Dejounte continues to progress, White gets healthy, and they get a jump from either Keldon or Lonnie they won't miss Demar or Rudy at all. I'm still bullish on Samanic as well. They should be better. If they can get a journeyman 3 and D guy on the Avery Bradley level in free agency they'll be considerably better.

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Disagree. If Dejounte continues to progress, White gets healthy, and they get a jump from either Keldon or Lonnie they won't miss Demar or Rudy at all. I'm still bullish on Samanic as well. They should be better. If they can get a journeyman 3 and D guy on the Avery Bradley level in free agency they'll be considerably better.

DD carried this team several times this year.  I don't think it's necessarily addition by subtraction.

2 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

So do we get a lottery pick now or what?

NBA Draft Lottery 2021: Odds to win No. 1 pick for every team involved

By Sam Quinn   May 18, 2021 

The 2020-21 NBA regular season is officially in the books, and while the bulk of the league will now look ahead to the postseason, the NBA's worst teams are focused on a very different prize. The NBA will hold its annual draft lottery on June 22, and with Sunday's game now complete, the teams occupying the bottom of the standings know their odds of securing the No. 1 pick and the right to, potentially, select Oklahoma State star Cade Cunningham. 

Here is how the odds look at this moment:

1. Houston Rockets: 14 percent

2. Detroit Pistons: 14 percent

3. Orlando Magic: 14 percent

4. Cleveland Cavaliers: 11.5 percent (tie)

4. Oklahoma City Thunder: 11.5 percent (tie)

6. Minnesota Timberwolves: 9 percent

7. Toronto Raptors: 7.5 percent

8. New Orleans Pelicans: 4.5 percent (tie)

8. Sacramento Kings: 4.5 percent (tie)

8. Chicago Bulls: 4.5 percent (tie)

11. Charlotte Hornets: 1.8 percent

12. San Antonio Spurs; 1.7 percent

13. Indiana Pacers: 1 percent

14. Memphis Grizzlies: 0.5 percent