San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Puro Pinche Loteria

Kermit

I'll try to erase that abortion of a third quarter from my mind ASAP, but a solid win nonetheless. 

I was sure Rudy was going to miss one or both free throws and set up a train wreck at the end. Bottom of the net on both, good job Rudy. You're not completely useless.

Keldon's dunk stopped the momentum slide. That was great.

Edited by BradInATX

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Big game tonight. Could have a full roster for the first time since...December? 

It is a big game. W would put us into a tie for 4th. 

White is good to go? He's really been our only injury concern. I was worried DJ really fucked up his ankle against Dallas - glad to see him play the next game. 

Second quarter: significantly drunker. Jokic good. He looks like the product of Andre the Giant and Bea Arthur. I love Weller 12. Devin Vassel needs to play more. More good Patty, I fully expect him to suck the entire second half. It seems like the entire Nuggets offense is Murray and Jokic, which by the way the entire Spurs defense right now is let Jokic shoot anytime and I gotta be honest, that seems like a bad idea. DeMar still kicking ass. Hopefully either Keldon gets going or fucking Lonnie wakes up and realizes how badass he is and dominates. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Back to back wins against the nuggets and Celtics is impressive. I can't believe this team is in 4th place in the west with as good as the conference is and as difficult as their schedule has been. All without White. Fun team to watch and root for. They would be so much better off tanking this season but I'm still enjoying the hell out of watching them every night. 

GSG. 

Couldn't believe the league still does the "hack-a-shaq" when they tried it with Poeltl. But the highlight of the night was ceremony trophy commercial for being the best in the business... Mr. Coyote. Hell yeah! With a cool banner for the rafters. 

Edited by Halohal
Old commercial, First time seeing it.

Demar's efficiency on the offensive end has been off the charts. 30 points on 14 attempts. For the season he is at or near career highs in true shooting %, win shares/48min, PER, BPM (and + DBPM for the first time in his career). He's not a guy that can carry a team to a championship, but he's approaching 1997-1998 Scottie Pippen level performance from a statistics standpoint. It's too bad he hasn't really had an opportunity to play the Pippen role to someone else's Jordan in his career.

7 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Demar's efficiency on the offensive end has been off the charts. 30 points on 14 attempts. For the season he is at or near career highs in true shooting %, win shares/48min, PER, BPM (and + DBPM for the first time in his career). He's not a guy that can carry a team to a championship, but he's approaching 1997-1998 Scottie Pippen level performance from a statistics standpoint. It's too bad he hasn't really had an opportunity to play the Pippen role to someone else's Jordan in his career.

Pippen's best year was '95 iirc (sorry - maybe that was part of your point - he's statistically similar to past-his-prime Pip). And I wish DeMar was that good. Interesting stats comp but there's more to it than that - especially on D.

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Pippen's best year was '95 iirc. And I wish DeMar was that good. Interesting stats comp but there's more to it than that - especially on D.

My intent was not to suggest DeMar is at Pippen's level overall. Also, Pippen was 32 in the season I quoted, Demar is 31 this year, so a comparison at similar points in their career is more meaningful than simply taking Pippen's best year.

5 minutes ago, Llogg said:

My intent was not to suggest DeMar is at Pippen's level overall. Also, Pippen was 32 in the season I quoted, Demar is 31 this year, so a comparison at similar points in their career is more meaningful than simply taking Pippen's best year.

Right. See my edit. I get the point you're making.

24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Who cares..... it's the perfect time to sell Demar because he's playing well and a few underachieving contenders need a talent infusion.

Which of those contenders really have something to offer? Also, if you didn't tank last year why would you tank this year with a demonstrably better team?

Edited by Llogg

10 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Which of those contenders really have something to offer?

A good half dozen or more.  Behind door #2 is keeping him, playing it out, getting laid out in the first round (maybe we get lucky and over achieve and win a series), and then extend him in the summer for a long-term contract we will all bemoan for the next 3-4 seasons. 

FTR, I think we choose door #2.  We're right in the thick of the playoff race and have a very easy schedule to close out the first half.  *shrugs.  Demar is having a very good season and at 31 (32 this year), arguably his best season.  DeMar is also a solid citizen off the court and that's an added qualitative benefit in his favor.  But can we at least trade Rudy Gay?

22 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A good half dozen or more.  Behind door #2 is keeping him, playing it out, getting laid out in the first round (maybe we get lucky and over achieve and win a series), and then extend him in the summer for a long-term contract we will all bemoan for the next 3-4 seasons. 

FTR, I think we choose door #2.  We're right in the thick of the playoff race and have a very easy schedule to close out the first half.  *shrugs.  Demar is having a very good season and at 31 (32 this year), arguably his best season.  DeMar is also a solid citizen off the court and that's an added qualitative benefit in his favor.  But can we at least trade Rudy Gay?

Maybe I have a different definition of contender. The Lakers aren't in play. Can't imagine the clips are either, but what would they give for him? The bucks? Nets already gave up their future and every quality young player they had. Boston? I don't imagine utah or Phoenix as contenders. Denver is really the only contender with enough draft capital and quality youth to make an interesting offer, but I just can't imagine they actually would have interest.

But I'm with you on dumping Rudy.

Edited by Llogg

23 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We aren't playing like a first round exit right now. I promise you no one in the West wants this Spurs team in the 1st round. 

To add to this - I don't understand why we would tank this season. The West is a significant AD or LeBron injury away from being wide open. One of those guys is 36 with the most minutes in NBA history - the other can't stay healthy to save his life even though it's usually just nags - but that's true until it isn't. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Great play from SAS last night. Fun team to watch and damn good coaching for the Spurs.

Malone got outcoached and could not find the right combo to match the Spurs energy on the court. SAS exploited the defensive weaknesses of Denver's line up. Defense put the Nuggets on their 5 game win streak; lack of defensive prowess led to the Denver loss against SAS.  

And, I agree, no one wants anything to do with the Spurs in the playoffs. 

I’m just having fun. Would I like to have a chance at a lottery pick? Sure, it’s a fantastic year for young players. Do I really enjoy watching this team, warts and all? Hell fucking yes. I like winning, but they also play their asses off, even in a blowout. The question is, does Lonnie go to the bench with Derrick coming back? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I’m just having fun. Would I like to have a chance at a lottery pick? Sure, it’s a fantastic year for young players. Do I really enjoy watching this team, warts and all? Hell fucking yes. I like winning, but they also play their asses off, even in a blowout. The question is, does Lonnie go to the bench with Derrick coming back? 

They're all so interchangeable - I would think White would simply take a few minutes from DJ, Lonnie, DV and Patty each. And White is a perfect guy to come off the bench. 

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

Maybe I have a different definition of contender. The Lakers aren't in play. Can't imagine the clips are either, but what would they give for him? The bucks? Nets already gave up their future and every quality young player they had. Boston? I don't imagine utah or Phoenix as contenders. Denver is really the only contender with enough draft capital and quality youth to make an interesting offer, but I just can't imagine they actually would have interest.

But I'm with you on dumping Rudy.

Playoff contender..... which is what we are!  But I'd rather be championship contender, which we aren't.  There are a number of teams who would like to make the playoffs for money or culture reasons if they can regardless of the L-T impacts and that where I think you find arbitrage.  There and injury.  Look, I get it the logic, why sell when you can make the playoffs, but again for me, it's championship runs rather than playoff ones.  Folks are different though.

42 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I like the team a lot too.  The young guys are finally contributing and we play a nice brand of basketball with a truly team concept and plenty of hustle.  I enjoy them most nights because they play with spunk.  I think Derrick comes off the bench personally.  Pop tries to make him Manu.  I think you reduce all the guards by a tad but go small more.  I'd probably cut back on DD's minutes a bit (almost 34 minutes) and Patty and Rudy's.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Playoff contender..... which is what we are!  But I'd rather be championship contender, which we aren't.  There are a number of teams who would like to make the playoffs for money or culture reasons if they can regardless of the L-T impacts and that where I think you find arbitrage.  There and injury.  Look, I get it the logic, why sell when you can make the playoffs, but again for me, it's championship runs rather than playoff ones.  Folks are different though.

Okay yeah so maybe playoff contenders include Atlanta and Orlando that have some attractive assets. New Orleans? (not really a playoff contender I don't think)

I'm with you that middling playoff runs on their own are not satisfying and the goal every season should be winning a ring. That said, you could argue that these playoff runs are essential for building young players into championship teams. An extra ten games a year against the best of the best can only help them improve. 

I guess I just don't see any realistic chance of a deal for DD that makes the spurs significantly better two years from now. I also don't see them offering DD a max deal.

Edited by Llogg
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I wouldn't at all mind holding on to Demar. He's great at coming in and settling things down when the young guys lose their way and his game will age gracefully, unlike LA's.

We're in the 4 seed with a shitload of young talent, why would we blow it up?

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7xe3z67moudo5869mr002hx80h4z8i0m9004e2x6b&rid=giphy.gif

Is trading Rudy or DeMar or LMA really blowing it up?  And don't get fooled early on with closely collected standings.  Numbers say we're in the 10-15 range of teams.  You really think, except for the most homerish fan, that anyone looks at the Atlanta Hawks and says...... Yea, if Embiid gets hurt and Kyrie goes crazy, they really have a title shot.  I'm not sure.  Don't be satisfied with the playoffs, always look to get better.

13 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Okay yeah so maybe playoff contenders include Atlanta and Orlando that have some attractive assets. New Orleans?

I'm with you that middling playoff runs on their own are not satisfying and the goal every season should be winning a ring. That said, you could argue that these playoff runs are essential for building young players into championship teams. An extra ten games a year against the best of the best can only help them improve. 

I guess I just don't see any realistic chance of a deal for DD that makes the shoes significantly better two years from now. I also don't see them offering DD a max deal.

I don't see New Orleans.  They have two pieces IMO and maybe some draft capital but I think they need to take their licks, try and reset their cap and infuse some draft capital into their organization.  I guess a Steven Adams is a nice ball player, but he's older and doesn't necessarily fit the time line on the team.  If you could get him cheap and then resell him in 6-12 months for more than you got, then cool, but that's not how our FO is built. 

Apparently Andre Drummond is a buyout candidate.  Like that type of shit confuses me as it did that nobody wanted Christian Wood all of last year.  If I'm the Spurs, I offer up a 2024 2nd and Rudy Gay for Drummond and then hope to work a S&T in the summer and get a decent piece back.  Insert yourself into the offseason trade fray and again see if there's an arbitrage opportunity whereby another leveraged team has to give up some draft capital or talent to get under the apron.  I don't know, this isn't a championship team so I'm just looking for ways to get better.  Ideas to work the margins.  Concepts to get us a superstar level player, which are the only teams to win championships.  It's not mean to distract from the fun when the Spurs are playing but moreso look at the future and how can we get into those top 5-6 team conversations.

BTW,  in a COVID environment, I don't think Demar will get max money, but I think he'll get something rich and probably for minimum of 3 years unless it's his choice.  I'd say 4-5 years.

• Hook 'Em 1