China Sucks

Hugo Stiglitz

Cheer on your Hong Kong brothers because your (grand)kid’s lives probably depend upon it.

Someone must put a dent into the China authoritarian regime, or in 20 years they may dominate many technology based industries while hoarding the wealth within a small chosen elite class.

Freedom is at stake. You think I’m kidding. You think I’m over exaggerating. In 20 years, you won’t.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Looks like another manufactured distraction in the making.

The idea that we’ve underestimated China is borderline laughable.  We’ve always known they were the emerging super power after the fall of the Soviet Union. 

This is a major policy shift. The DC elite always assumed that engagement would lead to reform. 

Edited by tucker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Chinese say they are ready to go to war over Taiwan.

Selling 2.2 billion dollars worth of arms to the Taiwanese seems to have pissed them off.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/wjvv44/china-says-its-ready-for-war-if-the-us-keeps-pushing-for-taiwanese-independence?utm_campaign=sharebutton

Actually this is the kind of pressure we should be applying to China instead of hurting ourselves with a trade war.  Sell them guns.

• 3 weeks later...

man this shit in HK is out of control. Airport fully shut down.

here is a vid of thugs beating people in the subway. fucking hell. one can assume they are hired goons by China to get some scare going

https://us.cnn.com/videos/world/2019/07/22/china-hong-kong-protests-mob-attack-metro-ge-lon-orig.cnn

Edited by staboner

1 hour ago, staboner said:

man this shit in HK is out of control. Airport fully shut down.

here is a vid of thugs beating people in the subway. fucking hell. one can assume they are hired goons by China to get some scare going

https://us.cnn.com/videos/world/2019/07/22/china-hong-kong-protests-mob-attack-metro-ge-lon-orig.cnn

Beijing tends toward a broad definition of terrorism, including in it nonviolent protests of government policies on the environment or in minority regions such as Xinjiang and Tibet. Such a designation adds to the regime’s descriptions of protesters as clowns, criminals and traitors intent on overthrowing Chinese rule in Hong Kong.

https://apnews.com/1131c0f97db34e1293862ca7fa8d4f06

and of course.

_107187256_p07bxgvc.jpg 

I assume this ends the same way Tiananmen Square did with a lot of protesters getting slaughtered. Then Hong Kong will fall under Beijing's authoritarian rule. Not coincidentally, we have a president who explicitly stated that defending democracy and human rights wouldn't be a consideration when it comes to American foreign policy. 

Yep, Trump is allowing Russia, China, Iran and NK throw their weight around with limited to no consequences. I fully expect China to get their islands and HK. NK to get their nukes. Iran rulers to further suppress the protesters. Russia to stomp down their resistance movement. And the Western alliance is no longer there as a check. 

Just now, bernorange said:

NK already has nukes Smokey.  It's had them since 2006 or so.

~~~

I have no doubt that the events in Hong Kong are going to end with a lot of bloodshed.  The only question is if it successfully leads to political change and/or a wider revolution.

You are right, meant to clarify as long range nukes that can really threaten us. 

2 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

You are right, meant to clarify as long range nukes that can really threaten us. 

Remember when the photo of N. Korea's map of nuke targets were revealed about 6 years ago and it included Austin as a target?

I remember someone explaining the psychology of Kim Jong Un when that information came out.

1. He likes to play military.

2. Has delusions of grandeur.

3. Wants to nuke Austin.

He is an aggy.

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Remember when the photo of N. Korea's map of nuke targets were revealed about 6 years ago and it included Austin as a target?

I remember someone explaining the psychology of Kim Jong Un when that information came out.

1. He likes to play military.

2. Has delusions of grandeur.

3. Wants to nuke Austin.

He is an aggy.

Their guidance systems would be such that the missile would just collapse back on them.

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2019 at 7:01 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

How so? Don't hog the interesting. 

the young ones are posting like crazy.  by young i mean anyone under 35.  lots of articles-  on the side of democracy and the protestors.  

the group over 50 have been very very quiet.  when they do post it's about how the US and UK are using the CIA and MI6 to organize the protestors.  there's a large group of people in HK who think the west is behind this.  surprisingly and anecdotally the people i know who fall in that camp were not pro-China until the past few years.    

• Like 1

China buys an unlicensed copy and gets burned.  #karma

Remember that Russian carrier-based jet that China copied without permission? Those airplanes are crashing, and Russia doesn't seem too broken up about it.

Though Russia and China are now friends, even holding joint exercises, Russia's Sputnik News recently trotted out an article titled "Chinese Navy Short on Carrier-Based Fighters, Only Has Problem-Ridden J-15."

The J-15 is an unlicensed copy of Russia's Su-33 carrier jet, which is a 1980s derivative of the Su-27K land-based fighter. China had acquired a T-10K-3, an Su-33 prototype, from Ukraine and then reverse-engineered it.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/russia-china-you-shouldnt-have-copied-our-jet-fighter-design-75671

Hong Kong police have used tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannon to disperse crowds as tens of thousands marched in the city, defying a ban.

Demonstrators lit fires, threw petrol bombs at riot police and attacked the parliament building.

An event to mark five years since Beijing ruled out fully democratic elections was banned in Hong Kong, a special administrative region of China. 

On Friday, several key pro-democracy activists and lawmakers were arrested.

The protest movement grew out of rallies against a controversial extradition bill - now suspended - which would have allowed criminal suspects to be sent to mainland China for trial.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49534439

Edited by InkaUtexas

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn’t sure where to put this. Not really Trade war, not really just a Trump thing.  More markets related, but this came out Friday and is a fascinating and potentially extremely effective way to fight back against China.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-27/white-house-weighs-limits-on-u-s-portfolio-flows-into-china-k12ahk4g

Here’s a long interview digging deeper with Kyle Bass, former member of BoD of UTIMCO and big time advocate of confronting China head on. Pretty interesting perspective. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

thanks for the video-  is there a transcript?

Just came out a couple of days ago. No transcript that I could find. 

Great point at the end about what it comes down to, Wall St greed vs national security.

They are using our greed against us to gain access to markets and therefore USD. 

Edited by GRHorn

22 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Just came out a couple of days ago. No transcript that I could find. 

Great point at the end about what it comes down to, Wall St greed vs national security.

They are using our greed against us to gain access to markets and therefore USD. 

yeah i ended up watching all of it.  would've been quicker to read but oh well.  really interesting video, thanks.  does kyle bass have trump's ear?  seems like what kyle's saying mirrors what trump's threatened to do with china.  another interesting point is that we as a capitalist minded society have disjointed interests-  tech, wall street, nat sec, whereas china has the ability to control everything and they're masters at creating plans and executing them. 

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

yeah i ended up watching all of it.  would've been quicker to read but oh well.  really interesting video, thanks.  does kyle bass have trump's ear?  seems like what kyle's saying mirrors what trump's threatened to do with china.  another interesting point is that we as a capitalist minded society have disjointed interests-  tech, wall street, nat sec, whereas china has the ability to control everything and they're masters at creating plans and executing them. 

He’s working with Bannon. I don’t how much influence that carries in the Trump universe nowadays, but he was in DC during that interview. I imagine he can get face to face meetings with some pretty big people and he makes some strong arguments imo.