China Sucks

Hugo Stiglitz

On 5/30/2020 at 12:30 AM, Rougarou said:

I appreciated the thumbing of the nose at China today via WHO. I’ve been on record that we should do something or say something, and take a stand, against China and their wet market disease that has killed 100k Americans.

That said, I read a fantastic write up on the Taiwan chip plant being built in AZ and am glad to see some diversification away from making such sensitive and supply chain intensive products so close and easy to strike with middles from China.

Some thumbing of the nose.

The WHO is a UN organization.  The UN was basically founded by the US.  It may not serve our interests all or even most of the time, but if it has become Chinese-dominated, it's because we have abdicated our role.  That's a mistake.  If we want China to abide by international norms, we have to engage them in international fora, like the UN and the WHO.  Leaving an international forum to Chinese domination plays right into their hands.  They are more than happy to turn international norms into Chinese norms.

I have seen zero evidence that we are actually being tough on China in anything other than Trump's childish words and being tough on Huawei.  The other things we're doing in relation to Chinese academics in US institutions probably would have happened regardless of who was in office.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The WHO is a UN organization.  The UN was basically founded by the US.  It may not serve our interests all or even most of the time, but if it has become Chinese-dominated, it's because we have abdicated our role.  That's a mistake.  If we want China to abide by international norms, we have to engage them in international fora, like the UN and the WHO.  Leaving an international forum to Chinese domination plays right into their hands.  They are more than happy to turn international norms into Chinese norms.

I have seen zero evidence that we are actually being tough on China in anything other than Trump's childish words and being tough on Huawei.  The other things we're doing in relation to Chinese academics in US institutions probably would have happened regardless of who was in office.

I pretty much agree with everything you've said-- and I'm exasperated that the extent of our ability to punish China is little to none. We've allowed the upper hand to erode over many years to now we are the point where we are effectively afraid of calling out or punishing China for their culpability in the 100k+ deaths of Americans, because China is at equal standing (or better) in matters of money, technology, war machines, etc. and there is a mutually assured destruction in place. It's a shame and every American should be upset about it, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent post. Seriously, the abdication of our role in multiple respects has been most maddening. It only hurts us.
  • Like 1

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndca/pr/officer-china-s-people-s-liberation-army-arrested-los-angeles-international-airport

Also according to court documents, Wang provided information to CBP that he had been instructed by his supervisor, the director of his military university lab in the PRC, to observe the layout of the UCSF lab and bring back information on how to replicate it in China.  CBP received information that Wang had studies from UCSF with him which he was taking to share with his PLA colleagues, and he had sent research to his lab in China via email.  Wang similarly told his supervising UCSF professor that he had duplicated some of the work of that professor at the lab in China. 

Did the China-India skirmish develop because both were confused as to why in the U.S., people say "Asian" but it doesn't refer to people from India, but it can refer to people from China?  Because I've always found that bizarre.  

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

They reportedly fought and killed each other with rocks and wooden clubs according to a report I heard earlier on NPR. That must've been one hellacious and gruesome fight.

lucious lyon wtf GIF

On 6/10/2020 at 9:54 PM, Brisketexan said:

Excellent post. Seriously, the abdication of our role in multiple respects has been most maddening. It only hurts us.

There was a recent article in The Economist discussing the European members of NATO's desire to deal with China. Only issue is the former leader of the free world is no where to be found.

4 hours ago, F250 said:

There was a recent article in The Economist discussing the European members of NATO's desire to deal with China. Only issue is the former leader of the free world is no where to be found.

Well, no one ever said Europeans were very smart. They keep getting everyone in the world in world wars... I'm wondering how recent that article is, because after this Covid shit, if any country wants to sidle up to China they're really desperate or just don't give a shit.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

17 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

So it won't be bad. But there is a danger it's bad. This is some top-notch analysis.

This isn’t much of a turf war.  China/India invading each other isn’t in either countries interests especially given everything else going on right now.  I also think it would take and egregious miscalculation for the US to get involved.  The NK/SK stuff is more unstable as far as we’re concerned, (which is also China related.)

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well, no one ever said Europeans were very smart. They keep getting everyone in the world in world wars... I'm wondering how recent that article is, because after this Covid shit, if any country wants to sidle up to China they're really desperate or just don't give a shit.

What TwiceHorn said.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

The article in question. https://www.other-news.info/2020/06/nato-sets-its-sights-on-china/

Not so much sidling up to China as addressing/engaging it directly on an entity-to-country basis.

11 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This isn’t much of a turf war.  China/India invading each other isn’t in either countries interests especially given everything else going on right now.  I also think it would take and egregious miscalculation for the US to get involved.  The NK/SK stuff is more unstable as far as we’re concerned, (which is also China related.)

[Serious] question: do you think anyone reading this thinks otherwise? Is anyone thinking "holy shit, this is WW 3!".

We all know it's a skirmish, India and China have had this skirmishes for literally decades. Yes any incident is interesting to read about, and I talk to colleagues in India about their perceptions, but even for a discussion board your comments are essentially fluffy air with no weight. Hell, a post that just says "wow" is less insufferable than a post making obvious declarative statements with a voice of insight that offers no insight at all.

COVID-19 is making me cranky.

6 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

question: do you think anyone reading this thinks otherwise? Is anyone thinking "holy shit, this is WW 3!".

I hope not but who knows?  Trump could try to use this situation as a distraction and attempt to paint this as WW3 type calamity that he somehow solves and declares victory.  I recognize my take isn’t insightful by itself.  It’s more preemptive if Trump tries to exploit the situation for political gain which I sadly expect him to.

• 2 weeks later...

https://nypost.com/2020/06/30/china-reportedly-releases-fedex-pilot-held-for-nine-months/

China reportedly releases FedEx pilot held for nine months

The Chinese Communist Party released a FedEx pilot who had been held for nine months on charges that he was smuggling ammunition, according to a report.

Todd Hohn, a retired US Air Force colonel, was detained on Sept. 12 by Communist Chinese officials while waiting for a commercial flight in Guangzhou after flying deliveries for the air carrier in Asia, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday.

Authorities said they found nonmetallic pellets used in replica air guns in his luggage.

“After this lengthy legal process, his innocence was demonstrated and ultimately recognized,” Theodore Simon, Hohn’s lawyer, said in a statement. “He has been completely and officially exonerated. In fact, it was officially determined that no formal criminal charges would even be brought.”

Hohn was released from China on Saturday and reunited with his family in Florida.

“It should be noted that Todd, despite the ordeal, states he was treated with courtesy and respect and holds no animosity towards China, the authorities or the people of China and looks forward to returning there one day,” Simon said.

Hohn’s release comes amid turbulent tensions between Washington and Beijing over the coronavirus pandemic, trade issues and the situation in Hong Kong, where a harsh new national security law was just passed.

Last week, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called on China to free two Canadian citizens charged with espionage to coerce Canada to release a top executive of tech giant Huawei.

Meng Wanzhou, the company’s chief financial officer, is being held on charges filed in the US.

The Canadians – Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor – were detained weeks after Meng was taken into custody at the Vancouver airport in 2018.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

dear leader needs to be blown 24/7, around the world 

Bolton alleged that Trump would look the other way on the Uighurs in exchange for election assistance. These changes with Radio Free Asia do look to be shady as they make no sense when you consider the work they have been doing to expose China's human rights violations.

The most frustrating thing is that China will continue to get away with atrocities (e.g. Uighurs, wet-markets, etc.) because they are a global and world power at part with any of the top brass and their influence is just as strong if not stronger. We let them get this big and powerful, that's on us, because now we can't do anything about it without causing WWIII or millions of deaths via mutually assured destruction.

4 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

In the past, that has been a signal of a immediate hostilities between nations. 

But why? Are they essentially burning evidence a la companies shredding paper trail documents to avoid evidence? I guess I've never heard of this.

Also, am glad to hear it because I've been vocal and on record that China needs to pay.