(a little political) Tom Cruise goes apeshit on movie crew over COVID

Gil Bang

3 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Sounds to me like it’s his MONEY he’s worried about. 

Not anyone’s health. 

Maybe, but if production shuts down they're all unemployed. Tom will still be fine financially, but what about the crew, the caterers, set design, etc.

3 hours ago, ajax said:

Maybe, but if production shuts down they're all unemployed. Tom will still be fine financially, but what about the crew, the caterers, set design, etc.

Exactly.  He ranted about people losing their homes, about not being able to pay their kid's tuition.   He wasn't talking about him, Pitt, The Minister, and Clooney.   He was talking about the swinging dick gaffers, makeup people, etc. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chief Ouray said:

Tom Cruise is a horrible human being.  A friend of my son interacted with him on a ski lift.  Basically she said hi to him just being friendly with no idea who he was (he was wearing a helmet and gaiter), he told her he was Tom Cruise and she wasn't allowed to talk to him.

He should be skinned alive for that incident which I totally believe happened exactly as you describe third hand.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Exactly.  He ranted about people losing their homes, about not being able to pay their kid's tuition.   He wasn't talking about him, Pitt, The Minister, and Clooney.   He was talking about the swinging dick gaffers, makeup people, etc. 

Tom Cruise is a consummate professional.  He's been an A-list actor for 30 years and has been a mentor to younger actors about how to take care of yourself and prepare for a role.  He knows that these movies aren't just movies but huge businesses in their own right and some fucksters like the people on the set could bring it all down.  He's made they're not taking the movie as seriously as he is.  Everyone I know that has ever dealt with Tom Cruise has nothing but great things to say.

As to his height, he's about 5'5".  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Hollywood is a risky business but sounds like Tom made all the right moves. 

He wasn't going in with eyes wide shut so he put down his collateral and got a few good men, but it seems it like it might have been a mission impossible even tho he was filming far and away from an american made problem. The color of money won't prevent him form losin it

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

He wasn't going in with eyes wide shut so he put down his collateral and got a few good men, but it seems it like it might have been a mission impossible even tho he was filming far and away from an american made problem. The color of money won't prevent him form losin it

Sounds like you need a cocktail. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Going with the deep cut there.  I like it. 

On 12/16/2020 at 9:36 AM, Neonmoon said:

The rant was deserved, especially considering the health and economic implications. Good for him. 
He is a great actor. He deserved an Oscar. all his movies are entertaining as hell. 
He’s also the figurehead of a horrific cult that ruins people’s lives. 
I’m perplexed 

That's always been my take on him.  He's a great actor, and by all accounts, a true pro in the business.  And who treats the people he works with VERY well.  Who also happens to be a cult leader.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Time for Taps on the puns.

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

the firm grasp he has on his business both as an actor and a producer certainly puts him in the minority.  report shows that like the other movies in the series, financially, he can always make it rain.  man, i still remember the first one in the series, and at the time, for an action movie, i thought it was rather vanilla.  sky is definitely the limit on part 7 though, especially once they start shooting scenes that are a little more tropic.  thunder might delay them for a few days before they get back on track.  in the meantime, i'm gonna watch magnolia.  because that movie is awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The notion that Cruise would lose his temper for fear falling from the Three Commas club is pretty absurd. His Scientology stuff is weird as shit, but I don't think even there he believes he's doing anything but good (I despise the organization, BTW).

He's trying to manage a life flooded with advantages and the ironic pitfulls that accompany that. I also think he's a terrific movie actor. He has to be the reason that Kubrick got to make Eyes Wide Shut (the only blemish on my favorite director's resume), and that shows a dedication to his industry and the art of his industry.

Oddly, the movie reveals his only weakness as an actor in my opinion: he can't draw on personal experience for some normal scenes. He's  struggles acting where flirting with the women at the party and he's supposed to be awkward. I doubt he's ever walked with a woman who wasn't immediately interested in him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

in the meantime, i'm gonna watch magnolia. 

I watched it for the first time in the past year. I'd been deterred by the mixed responsed it got and that director, though supremely skilled, has some holes in his game. I was almost overwhelmed by how good that movie is.

Magnolia is fantastic -- one of my favorites.  All of the actors were great, but I thought Tom Cruise and William H. Macy stole the show.

Respect the cock! And tame the cunt! Tame it! Take it on headfirst with the skills that I will teach you at work and say no! You will not control me! No! You will not take my soul! No! You will not win this game! Because it's a game, guys. You want to think it's not, huh? You want to think it's not? Go back to the schoolyard and you have that crush on big-titted Mary Jane. Respect the cock. You are embedding this thought. I am the one who's in charge. I am the one who says yes! No! Now! Here! Because it's universal, man. It is evolutional. It is anthropological. It is biological. It is animal. We... are... men!

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

I watched it for the first time in the past year. I'd been deterred by the mixed responsed it got and that director, though supremely skilled, has some holes in his game. I was almost overwhelmed by how good that movie is.

i can be a pretty harsh critic of pta (mostly because of his recent stumbles), but at the time he made magnolia, he was in his prime.  his first five movies were hard eight-boogie nights-magnolia-punch drunk love-there will be blood.  out of the gate greatness.  i think i saw magnolia twice in the theater and probably 20x since then.  it's one of the few movies that you actually 'experience', rather than just watch and leave.  those are rare and becoming rarer.

the master and inherent vice are both pretty much dogshit.  whatever.  his next movie is gonna have a boogie nights feel, and stars bradley cooper.  i've heard good things about the script but i have not read it.

as for cruise - he kinda did his career in reverse.  some movie stars start off in cheesy blockbusters and then push to do more personal projects or work with bigtime talented directors.  other than top gun (simpson/bruckheimer, height of cheese), he worked with big stars (nicholson, newman, hoffman) and big directors (scorsese, levinson, howard, reiner, stone), then later with cameron crowe, pta, kubrick, speilberg, michael mann, redford, etc.  he's taken several roles outside of his wheelhouse - say what you will, but not everyone would do what he did in tropic thunder.  

now he's basically a mission impossible factory, because those, like bond movies, take forever to film, cost a fortune, and make a billion or so.

also hard lulz at anyone suggesting "he's worried about his own money".  cruise made the $600k he's spending on the lodging ship while i was typing this post.  he is giving studio heads and producers all over the world his word.  that's what he clearly cares about here.  if you're behaving this holiday season and staying home and wondering why there aren't more shows to binge, tom cruise is trying to fix that problem.  for you. 

he's the last samurai.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, RomaVicta said:

The notion that Cruise would lose his temper for fear falling from the Three Commas club is pretty absurd. His Scientology stuff is weird as shit, but I don't think even there he believes he's doing anything but good (I despise the organization, BTW).

He's trying to manage a life flooded with advantages and the ironic pitfulls that accompany that. I also think he's a terrific movie actor. He has to be the reason that Kubrick got to make Eyes Wide Shut (the only blemish on my favorite director's resume), and that shows a dedication to his industry and the art of his industry.

Oddly, the movie reveals his only weakness as an actor in my opinion: he can't draw on personal experience for some normal scenes. He's  struggles acting where flirting with the women at the party and he's supposed to be awkward. I doubt he's ever walked with a woman who wasn't immediately interested in him.

Very interesting take.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:31 PM, RomaVicta said:

Think it seems to be very underrated movie and is right up there with some of Cohen brothers best.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:59 AM, henrygandorf said:

stories are pretty common that he learns the name of every single person working on a project very very early and remembers them throughout. that’s pretty rare with mid level stars, let alone a mega star like cruise. 

he’s also a producer - he started producing mi films with his old caa agent paula wagner which has made both of them ridiculously wealthy and powerful, so this isn’t exactly like christian bale losing his shit on set. 

he’s the one who needs to make that speech/rant, and i bet protocol is followed moving forward. ghost protocol. 

A buddy of mine went to a ranch/resort type place, think in New Mexico, some years ago.  This place taught helicopter piloting.  Cruise was there learning to fly for a movie.  Said Cruise was the nicest person he'd ever met.  My buddy said hello to him briefly, not wanting to take much of his time.  Cruise ended up hanging out with him the entire week or two.  Said he was completely engaging and friendly to everyone there.  This was a pretty remote and self-contained place.

And no Cruise did not try and hit on him or anything.  Pretty sure he is straight.  Not that it matters.