(a little political) Tom Cruise goes apeshit on movie crew over COVID

Gil Bang

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

some people in the crew violated covid protocol and put the production at risk.  resuming production on mi7 is signaling that many other productions in the us and canada can also resume.  if people start getting sick on mi7, they'll shut down, and so will a bunch of other movies/tv shows, putting thousands of people out of work.  people work to make money to feed their families.

which part confused you?

None of it. I really meant I liked how he went pure money talk, nothing will catch people’s attention quicker. No sarcasm.

The “seems like a stable guy” was sarcasm. It’s hard to take someone yelling like that seriously no matter what the subject is.

56 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i would assume everyone on set is scared shitless of him.  all 5 ft 2 of him.

he's earned that respect by being a super nice guy who does his own stunts.  my opinion.

I don't know if he is or isn't a nice guy.  Here's what I do know: he's one of the biggest movie stars that ever lived, and every camera fuck, grip, electrician, and makeup artist owes their living to him and people like him.   I don't go to a movie because the set is well-decorated.  I go because Tom fucking Cruise (or somebody like him) is the motherfucking star. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

I don't know if he is or isn't a nice guy.  Here's what I do know: he's one of the biggest movie stars that ever lived, and every camera fuck, grip, electrician, and makeup artist owes their living to him and people like him.   I don't go to a movie because the set is well-decorated.  I go because Tom fucking Cruise (or somebody like him) is the motherfucking star. 

stories are pretty common that he learns the name of every single person working on a project very very early and remembers them throughout. that’s pretty rare with mid level stars, let alone a mega star like cruise. 

he’s also a producer - he started producing mi films with his old caa agent paula wagner which has made both of them ridiculously wealthy and powerful, so this isn’t exactly like christian bale losing his shit on set. 

he’s the one who needs to make that speech/rant, and i bet protocol is followed moving forward. ghost protocol. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Movie industry is probably operating under a lot of waivers as it is, and a few staff members fucking things up puts an uncomfortable spotlight on them.

Plus, as pointed out, Cruise is a producer.  If a movie production gets shutdown over covid, that could easily jump into tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of lost dollars, and he, as a producer, is going to catch a lot of the shit that rolls down from up high.

And some of those folks probably do not get paid if they are not actively working.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I wasn't doubting you.  i was just reinforcing that the star is the draw.  I'm sure that bad camera work can ruin a movie, but nobody buys a ticket because Joe Lunchmeat was camera #4

Totally agree on the star part.  Choice of directors is sometimes a draw to me as well.  But it's never anybody outside of those two things that draws me in.

Except Roger Deakins.  I will watch any of his movies.

Tom Cruise is a horrible human being.  A friend of my son interacted with him on a ski lift.  Basically she said hi to him just being friendly with no idea who he was (he was wearing a helmet and gaiter), he told her he was Tom Cruise and she wasn't allowed to talk to him.

That could be his go-to move to avoid talking to fat chicks.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Chief Ouray said:

Tom Cruise is a horrible human being.  A friend of my son interacted with him on a ski lift.  Basically she said hi to him just being friendly with no idea who he was (he was wearing a helmet and gaiter), he told her he was Tom Cruise and she wasn't allowed to talk to him.

That’s because your son’s friend is ugly.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chief Ouray said:

Cool story, bro. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I worked with Tom once. He’s a pretty cool guy actually and willing to work extremely hard. Clearly he feels the weight of the production on his shoulders and that makes sense given his position on his films. And right now with Covid, all these productions are a few cases away from shutdowns. It’s sucks right now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

As a producer I assume that basically makes him CEO of that particular movie, so when those people put the movie at risk it’s literally his business, not just his job (as it would be if he was just the star). I can understand the rant. He didn’t fire them on the spot for getting his Starbucks order wrong like a prima donna, and as someone else pointed out I bet they don’t do that shit again. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Ouray said:

How does she know it was actually Tom Cruise? That sounds like something one of my jackass friends would say to a girl on a lift. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

How does she know it was actually Tom Cruise? That sounds like something one of my jackass friends would say to a girl on a lift. 

That was my first thought.

Then my 2nd thought is I'm totally stealing it when I don't want to chat with people on the lift.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol. Cruise’s rant is absolutely warranted

I mean, jesus fuck, if everyone ranted on people not following rules during a pandemic, then we may not be in as bad of shape that we are

Not sure why anyone is hating on him not wanted the production to get shut down

PS - He is still the best actor to never win an oscar, ever

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

he’s also a producer - he started producing mi films with his old caa agent paula wagner which has made both of them ridiculously wealthy and powerful, so this isn’t exactly like christian bale losing his shit on set. 

he’s the one who needs to make that speech/rant, and i bet protocol is followed moving forward. ghost protocol. 

Sounds to me like it’s his MONEY he’s worried about. 

Not anyone’s health. 

The rant was deserved, especially considering the health and economic implications. Good for him. 
He is a great actor. He deserved an Oscar. all his movies are entertaining as hell. 
He’s also the figurehead of a horrific cult that ruins people’s lives. 
I’m perplexed 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, taybo20 said:

I worked with Tom once. He’s a pretty cool guy actually and willing to work extremely hard. Clearly he feels the weight of the production on his shoulders and that makes sense given his position on his films. And right now with Covid, all these productions are a few cases away from shutdowns. It’s sucks right now.

I didn't know that people who actually knew what they were talking about were allowed to post on the internet. You've made this really awkward.

• Like 1

Lol. Cruise’s rant is absolutely warranted

I mean, jesus fuck, if everyone ranted on people not following rules during a pandemic, then we may not be in as bad of shape that we are

Not sure why anyone is hating on him not wanted the production to get shut down

PS - He is still the best actor to never win an oscar, ever

Best. In the world?

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

As a producer I assume that basically makes him CEO of that particular movie, so when those people put the movie at risk it’s literally his business, not just his job (as it would be if he was just the star). I can understand the rant. He didn’t fire them on the spot for getting his Starbucks order wrong like a prima donna, and as someone else pointed out I bet they don’t do that shit again. 

Completely agree.  Instead of Tom Cruise on a Hollywood movie set, make it the head chef at a restaurant struggling to get by in this pandemic who finds out folks on his staff have been deviating from COVID protocols.  If the health department shuts them down for that, they're all fucked.  That chef has every right to go on a 15-minute Gordan Ramsey tirade.

And don't call Tom Cruise "son."  He's a lawyer and an officer in the United States Navy.  And you're under arrest, you son of a bitch.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2