Buy Rather Than Rent Cable Modem and Router for Xfinity System?

BevoSwag

We currently have four TV's that use boxes I rent from Comcast.  Two TV's are hard wired and two are on WiFi.  All four have capability to record.  After two years I've decided I'd like to try and purchase a box and router but I'm not sure what I need.

First, I only need to record on 2 tv's, not 4.  One of those is "hard wired" and contains the main cable box and the other is WiFi with Roku.

To replace just those two what do I need to purchase?  Recommendations for router and modem?   I currently have awesome WiFi speed from Xfinity.  Will that be degraded by owning boxes rather than renting theirs?

Thanks in advance.

With xfinity, you rent the modem/router ($15/mo) and also each additional TV box (one for each tv - $10/mo each).  The TV boxes can be wifi or wire.  There should be one main, wired TV box that controls the DVR function for all additional TV boxes (whether wired or wifi).  The DVR recordings for all boxes are actually recorded on the one primary TV box.

I am not aware of any options for replacing their rental equipment with something 3rd party, but I'd consider it if it were possible.

Edited by bernorange
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

what service level?  need to renegotiate but don't have a lot of leverage as there's no at&t fiber here and i can't get a vzw 5g signal

100 down/5 up.  Definitely plenty of speed for the number of devises we run.  They also have 200 and 500 down plans.  I'm also without fiber service here.

I bought an Arris modem 4 years ago and a pretty good wifi router. I have Xfinity as well.  From some quick math, I think I'm down to less than $5 per month. If Xfinity had charged me $15, the breakeven point was 16 months.

But buying the equipment was more about the principle of it than trying to save money, not too mention that online reviews were that the Xfinity wifi equipment sucked in 2017 compared to finding a router on my own.

Advice: If you buy a modem, don't go with the cheapest option but try to future proof it for higher speeds. The speeds may seem like overkill but you don't want the modem to limit you. I would pay extra today for the DOCIS 3.1 modem specs but 3.0 is enough for today if you want to save some money.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

THANKS to all.  I hope my images load correctly.  I currently have an Xfinity system whereby I can record on any TV and replay on any TV and have high speed internet.

There are different boxes for different TV's.  One is for a wired connection, one is for an internet connection, one is X1 box or the recording device and last is the tower or wifi.

I don't know what the difference is between the first photo on the wired tv and the second photo on the wireless connect (Xi5-P) unless it is hard wired and wi fi. I also have three Xpods to extend wireless to downstairs.

If I'm understanding correctly I should buy the ASUS router.  Does that replace the cube in the last photo?  Go to Best Buy?  135350890_3-Mq5aLwQ.thumb.jpg.4acb2dd442ab50de50bb032712a025e5.jpg1860821255_4-sNW4lU8.thumb.jpg.faec961a17d824c9a0b6c64f92186cac.jpg

2 - EGmIZ1P.jpg

1 - 7H62D74.jpg

• Like 1

You appear to have a "hybrid" system where your "cable" is actually "internet streaming" tv.

Most of us have a coax cable that comes into the house that does two things:  1) provides a connection for a modem to the internet and 2) provides a connection to either a TV or a set-top box for cable TV.

For most of us, we are renting or replacing the modem.  Some of the cable company modems combine both a modem and router (and they suck).  So we replace the modem with a ~$50 item that we no longer have to rent, and use our own router.  None of that affects the TV part, which comes from the coax cable into the set top box or direct into your tv.

Your set up seems to combine functions 1) and 2) above into one box.  I'm not sure I'd try to replace anything until someone with familiarity with the xfinity x1 system comes along and tells you what to do.

• Like 1

THANKS to all.  I hope my images load correctly.  I currently have an Xfinity system whereby I can record on any TV and replay on any TV and have high speed internet.
There are different boxes for different TV's.  One is for a wired connection, one is for an internet connection, one is X1 box or the recording device and last is the tower or wifi.
I don't know what the difference is between the first photo on the wired tv and the second photo on the wireless connect (Xi5-P) unless it is hard wired and wi fi. I also have three Xpods to extend wireless to downstairs.
If I'm understanding correctly I should buy the ASUS router.  Does that replace the cube in the last photo?  Go to Best Buy?  135350890_3-Mq5aLwQ.thumb.jpg.4acb2dd442ab50de50bb032712a025e5.jpg1860821255_4-sNW4lU8.thumb.jpg.faec961a17d824c9a0b6c64f92186cac.jpg
1367826558_2-EGmIZ1P.thumb.jpg.07267daff07efaf3ef2d345726b2e094.jpg
812068075_1-7H62D74.thumb.jpg.fb0f044cd98e2e9ebb174d7891c9f841.jpg

Twicehorn is right. You/we need more info.

I am unfamiliar with xfinity and not sure about that box. I’d call them and ask if you can utilize your own modem/router and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally took the step and returned the cable boxes (1 wired and 1 Wifi).  Also returned Modem.  Bought Netgear Nighthawk C7800.  Finally got it working with computers, phones, Ring, Nest, Rainbird and the biggest pain was the security camera.  Unfortunately after I bought the Netgear I did not know the Xfpods were not compatible.  The good news is the Netgear is so much more powerful it delivers to areas where pods were previously necessary.

Some odds and ends.  Problems with my Roku TV.  Without the cable box from Xfinity it no longer receives Xfinity channels.  The App will not work.  The irony is the Xfinity stream continues to work on computers and iPad.  Quick solution was to 1 - read up on Google and 2 - set up mirroring and broadcast Xfinity to Roku from computer.  Ut oh.  Not allowed.  I have no idea why.

Now I read that I can replace my Xfinity X1 Box also.  It looks like Tivo is an option.  Anyone have any input on good or bad with Tivo/Xfinity?  Thanks in advance.