2018 Texas Women's Tennis

texasstrong12

Bianca just beat the former world junior number 1 today. She'll also have a new career high when this tournament's points are added! Pretty good considering she is not playing a full pro schedule.

I know on the other page I had doubts about Bianca going pro, but I wouldn't be surprised now if she decides to go pro after this spring season (based on other players who forewent their final year)

Didn’t realize how loaded with pros this tournament was.

There’s a 25% chance Bianca plays Lauren Davis in the first round. Also a 25% chance she plays Madison Brengle in the first round. Top seed is Belinda Bencic who has wins over most of the current top 10 players in the WTA plus Serena Williams. If I was in Tyler TX I would be there watching! 

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Bianca drew #140 Claire Liu in the first round. Claire was a very accomplished junior player. I think she won one of the slams 

Yeah Claire won Wimbledon, beating Ann Li (who has also decided to turn pro instead of going to college). Not to downplay that, but Bianca did beat Galfi who won the US Open Juniors three years ago.

Bianca lost first set before rain came. Play is to finish tomorrow.

Some of the girls are in Lawrence this week for a 25K event. Katie Poluta won her first round of qualifying but lost in the second round. Anna Turati breezed through the first two qualifying rounds and she'll play 20 year old Shibihara for a spot in the main draw tomorrow. Bianca was auto accepted into the main draw and will face top 300 Robin Anderson first round. Anderson beat Bianca a month or two ago at an ITF event in Lubbock so good opportunity for redemption there.

Both Turati's win! Bianca will improve her career high ranking (top 450).

Fernanda wins in Chile too, taking advantage of her WC by beating another WC. This is her third tournament victory with points, meaning she should get a WTA ranking in the next few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.instagram.com/lexiryngler/

Joffe just got his first Blue Chip American to UT---Alexa Ryngler!

Significant victories include Andie Daniell (current number one at Alabama), Maria Smith (Cal player who beat Bojana last year), Emiliana Arrango (former junior top 10), Dominique Schaeffer (former junior top 30), and Gail Broadsky (currently ranked WTA top 300).

Edited by Aleemay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Top 10 recruit for sure?

Pretty sure. She doesn't show up on tennisrecruiting due to not playing junior tournaments in the last year. But when she was still playing under 18s, she was rated in the top 10 for the past 4 years.

Her UTR rating is above 11.5. There are probably at most 7 Americans with a higher UTR than hers.