2018 Texas Women's Tennis

texasstrong12

Some story lines for the tournament:

-Kansas State and Oklahoma are on the bubble and needs to perform well 

-Kansas is on the borderline of hosting

-Texas needs to position itself for an ideal Sweet 16 match up (if they can get this far). The dreaded team I think most teams ranked in the top 8 don't want is Pepperdine (runner up at indoors WITHOUT their top player). Due to their weak conference schedule, Pepperdine is going to finish somewhere between 11-14. So funny thing is a lower seed might be better than whatever higher seed is paired up with the Waves.

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

At what point do we think this team might be a final 4 caliber team? 

15 in a row and they are just dominating other teams right now. 

There are only a few teams that I would say would beat us more times than they would lose to us. Vandy, Duke and UNC I think would beat us most of the time, but we are also very capable of beating them. 

Also, we are an outdoor tennis team, so throw away that 0-3 record at the ITA indoors. The NCAA tournament is all outdoors weather permitting 

Big match tomorrow against Tech (aka team left handers)

B. Turati vs. Talaba: Talaba won last year but this year Bianca has won twice.

A. Turati vs. Valenstein: I honestly think Valenstein is not the second best player on her team but we'll see what happens.

Granic vs. Maltby: Petra will be slugging the balls no matter who her opponent is- that's just her style. Been in fine form this tourney. Let's hope this continues.

Markovic vs. Federici: Unfortunately Federici is favoured in this one. Has beat a lot of mutual opponents more convincingly this season.

Perez-Mur vs. Dvorak: Marta narrowly won in Lubbock. Lost pretty convincingly in the semi's but I think the style of play (her opponent was semi moonballing) just doesn't suit Marta's game. Should be a more competitive match with Dvorak.

Wagland vs. Jackson: Both players came into the middle of the lineup mid season. Wagland (coming into form) and Jackson (coming back from a broken arm) are both seniors too. Hard to gauge this one.

I think Tech should be favoured in doubles (?)

Edited by Aleemay
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Did that Jackson chick break her arm playing? Seems like a tough injury. 

Just got back.....what a day. But to answer this question.....I don't know the exact details but she broke it at practice.

Most impressed by the doubles play. After losing so many early in the season to come back and win all three doubles points in the tourney without dropping the other match is a huge accomplishment!

Looks like Texas will finish number 5 in the rankings. However I think the NCAAs can move teams up and down by 1 spot if the adjacent team has a win. Thus Ole Miss should slide up and Texas will be seeded 6 in the tournament. Potential Sweet Sixteen Match would be either Pepperdine or Texas Tech (for a third time!)

• Like 1

Also interested to see the end of year conference awards coming out later this week. Joffe should get coach of the year and Bianca player of the year.

Freshmen of the year...depends on how they choose. Best record (like when Lina got it) or the one who played the highest line (like how Bianca got it last year)? If they do it like they did last year, expect Cvetican of TCU to get the honors. Newcomer of the year will most likely be Vogasari of Kansas.

The selection show is today at 4pm. Here is the link
https://www.ncaa.com/sports/tennis-women/d1

Will the NCAA let Arkansas in the tournament? They have a high enough RPI, but are they going to reward them playing one cupcake team 6 times in one day to get to the required .500?

Edited by perfectchaos007

Just as I predicted Texas 6th seed. Hosting all schools within the 400 miles rule. Potential Sweet Sixteen match with Tech if they can make it that far.

Arkansas didn't get in. KSU was last team in. Washington State was ranked higher but KSU had the regular season win.

Edited by Aleemay

On 4/29/2018 at 3:26 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Texas wins the Big 12 tourney! We def. Tech 4-1

Now we await the selection show on Tuesday.

I don't think we'll get one of the 4 top seeds, but we'll definitely host a first round.

I think we'll host aggy, Rice, and McNeese State

We will host aggy, Rice, and McNeese State.

Don't think I've hit it like that on the nose before. I guess the NCAA's are getting too predictable for me. 

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I think I would prefer Tech over Pepperdine anyway in the 3rd round. At least we know Tech well and have them well scouted. Pepperdine is a bit of an unknown 

Tech doesn't have it easy though. They've got Illinois in their regional.

http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/ITA+Third+Party+Protest+Ruling+-+University+of+Arkansas+vs+Tennessee+State+University+2018.04.22.pdf

Interesting. K State protested some of the lineup changes. I'm interested in this statement.

"had these line-up violations been challenged by the opposing coach, under precedent set by this and other ITA committees, the final result could have involved the nullification or overturning of all or some of the dual matches in question."

Looks like Arkansas got to keep the 6 wins and the coach only got a letter of reprimand by the ITA. Wonder what will happen to the $15,000 Arkansas paid TSU. Though I do understand TSU is massively underfunded. I actually think the TSU coach is doing a good job (if we ignore this incident). TSU had gone years without any wins and a full roster. With this coach, they're getting conference wins.

My stance is that I'm ok with teams scheduling multiple matches to be above .500 IF the regular season calendar were set that way. To do it after a conference tournament and to do it six times is too much. The athlete's welfare was definitely not in anybody's best mind.

How convenient that the last at-large bid team protested the Arkansas matches. Considering the ITA just sent Arkansas a sternly written letter/slap on the wrist, I'm surprised they didn't let Arkansas in the tournament. Guess they didn't want to set a precedent. Good decision imo but I'm sure Arkansas is feeling like they are being punished unjustly for exploiting unwritten loopholes about match scheduling. 

• 2 weeks later...

McNeese's #1 singles player is Italian. Shots fired at Bianca!?!? lol

In singles action Giovanna Fioretti will face-off against the top ranked player in the country at the number one line, Bianca Turati.

"I'm just going to play and be relaxed, I don't have anything to lose" said Fioretti. "I know Bianca from Italy and I have played her once five years ago and won. We have no pressure and we have already made it so I am just going to play tennis."

Fioretti's only hope of not losing to Bianca, imo, is if her teammates lose their matches too fast for Bianca to win and their match goes unfinished.

Big 12 awards

WOMEN’S ALL-BIG 12 AWARDS Coach of the Year: Howard Joffe (Texas)

Player of the Year: Bianca Turati (Texas)

Newcomer of the Year: Despoina Vogasari (Kansas)

Freshman of the Year: Maria Linares (K-State)

First Team  Singles - Anna Turati, Texas, and Bianca Turati, Texas

First Team Doubles - Bojana Markovic, Fr. / Petra Granic, So., Texas

Second Team Singles:  Petra Granic, Texas

Second Team Doubles - Anna Turati, So. / Bianca Turati, So., Texas

All-Freshman Team - Bojana Markovic, Texas

• Like 2

Texas had control the whole match. Good thing to see. Things really went downhill for the Ags when they double faulted three times at 3-4 in line two doubles.

Facing Tech for the third time. It's tough beating the same team three times in one season...And once again Tech has made some switches in their lineup.