2021 ATP/WTA Thread

UDontKnow

14 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Aslan Karatsev just beat djoker in his own house (seriously it's called the Novak Djokovic tennis center) to advance to the championship of the Serbia Open. He saved 23 breakpoints. Three and a half hour long match.

Insane stat line there.  Aslan is fun to watch and I can’t wait until regular ratings unfreeze, he and Sinner are going to jump.

Nadal and Tsitsi for the final in Barcelona.

Ash Barty has to be the favorite for RG on the women’s side , right? 

• Like 1

Pretty nice weekend on both sides of the X vs Y chromosome court.

Aslan and his calves are a crazy story. Rafa looked like Rafa again. Stefanos is looking really impressive this year. And the ladies are looking pretty impressive to boot.

And it is always nice to see Djokavic get humbled.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Hot Sorana won her first title in 13 years, that’s a rather long gap. 

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/2118774/cirstea-storms-to-first-title-in-13-years-in-istanbul

OIP.fCXmbyICImt9kpBhg0zaqAHaKG?w=205&h=2

OIP.j71QJl4U-0OkUBuSa6--8QHaJQ?w=205&h=2

OIP.g396NGgp1I8HxFouICa7gQHaK9?w=205&h=3

Can you imagine going 13 YEARS between your 1st & 2nd titles? That has to be a record, right?

It makes you think, hmmm...

OIP.lmZcPY9J1iIh7iDSWHCtNQHaIy?w=205&h=2

20 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

WTA Madrid draw, it’s pretty strong 

http://wtafiles.wtatennis.com/pdf/draws/2021/1038/MDS.pdf

Tuned in to see Teichmann hold her serve to go to 5-5 in the 3td set vs Svitolina. 

Svitolina ultimately fails to convert 6 match points and falls... again. 

Now Kvitova vs Bouzkova in the second set. 
KVIT: 6-2, 1-3 and Bouzkova serving to stay one break up.

Edited by Napoleon

Muguruza and Sloane Stephens were supposed to play yesterday (Thursday), but then Muguruza pulled out with a leg injury, so Sloane played Danka Kovinic, who did quite one in Charleston, SC recently.

Sloane looked about 10 pounds lighter than she has recently and had definite muscle definition in her upper arms. She looked like she did about 3 years ago, which is to say that she looked NOTHING like she has since the end of the lockdown.

Sloane won 6-4, 6-1

She looked like she actually gave a shit about playing tennis and that she has either gotten over whatever it was that was leading her to play like absolute shit over the last 8 months (or more?) and wanted to end her freefall and get back up into the top 32 in time for Wimbledon, if possible, but if now then definitely in time for the US Open. Or maybe she just did the math and realized that if she didn't start giving a shit, she would be well out of the Top 100 by the time the funky ratings wore off and she would start 2022 having to go through qualifiers and looking for clothing/racquet/shoe sponsors. 

Anyway, it was nice to see a Sloane who kind of wanted to be on court. She will play Ons Jabeur on Saturday.

If anyone is up at 4:04am Central Daylight Time, there are three matches starting momentarily, which is roughly 11:00am Madrid Time. (All matches are in warmup stage.)

Sabalenka (5-Belarus) Sabalenka_Hero-Smile.png?width=1900

vs  Zvonareva (RUS) IAqDfUwR.jpg?width=300&height=400

Sakkari (16-Greece) Sakkari_Hero-Smile.png?width=1900

vs Anisimova (USA-ish)  Anisimova_Hero-Smile.png?width=1900

Wang (CHN) WangQ_Hero-Smile.png?width=1900

vs Muchova (Czech) Muchova_Hero-Smile.png?width=1900

4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Sakkari finally survives. 

Sabalenka & Muchova won the other two easily. 

Jessie Pegula is currently ranked 33rd in the world and just beat the aforementioned, and displayed, Sorana Cirstea, 7-6 (5), 6-3.

7 6 Pegula
6 3 Cirstea

6 7 Halep
0 5 Sorribes Tormo

On court in the 2nd set...

7 1 Gauff
5 1 K. Pliskova

On court in the 1st set...

2 Alexandrova (RUS)
2 Azarenka (BLR)

19 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Gauff continues to have mental meltdowns on the court. We didn’t really see this from her when she was 15

She needs to talk with Swiatek about working with a sports psychologist, because it is becoming a problem and there's no reason for it. (Or nothing good can come of it.)

And if she's uncomfortable to watch, then sponsors aren't going to want to sponsor an athlete like that, so it will hurt her on and off the court.

Figure that shit out, kid!

8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Barty dispatched Swiatek in straight sets. Yeah Barty has to be the favorite in the FO

She played great and that could have been the final.

Watched Osaka yesterday, she really doesn’t play well on clay because it takes her power to a more manageable level.  Muchova handled her pretty well.

Ash Barty looks unbeatable right now on clay.  Sabalenka if she is locked in, may be able to beat her, but I don’t see anyone else left in the draw.  The way she beat Swiatek and Badosa, I am picking her for RG.

And Medvedev is a funny fucker.  If he wasn’t so good he’d be a twat but he’s very fun to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

This is an unexpected quarter final run for Isner

He is a pox on the sport. The fact that he's able to do this on clay is very disturbing.

You never want to wish injury on a person, but I wish injury on Isner.

I have a friend / former flatmate who lives in Madrid, but I know the the's not at these matches because of COVID, but I'm thinking that catching top tennis would be another fun thing about living in Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Munich, Stuttgart, Paris, London... (I have friends in all those cities... #formerexpathumblebrag)

I would like to see some live tennis soon. Preferably outside.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

He is a pox on the sport. The fact that he's able to do this on clay is very disturbing.

You never want to wish injury on a person, but I wish injury on Isner.

I have a friend / former flatmate who lives in Madrid, but I know the the's not at these matches because of COVID, but I'm thinking that catching top tennis would be another fun thing about living in Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Munich, Stuttgart, Paris, London... (I have friends in all those cities... #formerexpathumblebrag)

I would like to see some live tennis soon. Preferably outside.

Besides being a raging asshole he was always pretty terrible on US Davis cup when I've watched him.  His game is soooo boring.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nadal looked like his knees may be bothering him.  He hit his returns short the entire match.  

And I am so happy Isner lost.  I kind of want to see Ruud in the final against Thiem.  Ruud has a cool game.  Bublik needs to serve underhand to him though.

13 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Good for Kenin. She seemingly has lacked that same drive since winning the 2020AO. A coaching change could get her back focused and on track again 

I don't know how to break this to you, but she made it to the French Open Final to end the 2020 season before losing to an Iga Swiatek who absolutely steamrolled EVERYONE! (She also won a tournament in France in the spring of 2020 a few tournaments after winning the Australian Open.)

The problem is that they are both a bundle of nerves and that isn't helping her mental health. Now that she can support the family AND hire a full time coach, it's time to get a full team like a Top 10 player.

13 hours ago, satyanash said:

Am I missing the apathy towards Isner? Is it just because he's a servebot?

Y'all must have hated 90s-era tennis, lol.

90s tennis with Edberg, Agassi, Chang, Rafter?  Yes Sampras was massive on serve (and had a great volley game) as were a few others but I think you're off base here.  Isner has a decent forehand but otherwise he is a one trick pony.  Just not fun to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Aryna wins the last 10 points to lift the trophy. 

Sabalenka was on a Serena level in the first set.  She has absolutely the highest ceiling of a player right now ( Osaka included) but she dug deep to win today.  

I really don’t care much for Zverev but if he plays like he did today Berrettini doesn’t have a shot.  But with that head case you never know if the double fault machine is going to show up. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

^ Draw is filled out now, Sloane didn’t qualify.

Bianca is out again due to ‘Rona restrictions, always something fucking different with her. 

It’s funny that Sloane fucked around for a year+ and it has now caught up to her. 

She looked decent last week and won some matches, but she was soft and lazy for over a year and now she is having to go through qualies and sometimes not making it.

😆 ...oops.

16 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I just watched two sets of WTA tennis that I can’t even accurately describe. SST beat Camila 7-6, 6-7, 7-5 in just under 4 hours. There were 19 breaks, & the chair had to call the head tourney ref because she was intimidated by Camila’s dad. That shit was crazy. 

Argentines are a little fucked in the head.

Plus, Sergio looks at Camila like Tony Montana looked at his sister.

italy_tennis_giorgi_c0-203-4928-3076_s88

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 7.45.55 AM.png