2021 ATP/WTA Thread

UDontKnow

Putintseva doesn’t do it for me but Giorgi does.  Both have the resting bitch face down as well as the crazy tennis thing so who knows?

Venus should play doubles with her sister but she is done in singles.  

I was looking somewhere at double bagels in tennis and it was unbelievable that Steffi handed one out in a FO final.  She was so good... She’s still my GOAT for women because of my dislike for Serena.

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Putintseva doesn’t do it for me but Giorgi does.  Both have the resting bitch face down as well as the crazy tennis thing so who knows?

Venus should play doubles with her sister but she is done in singles.  

I was looking somewhere at double bagels in tennis and it was unbelievable that Steffi handed one out in a FO final.  She was so good... She’s still my GOAT for women because of my dislike for Serena.

Giorgi has the look of a battered wife/ sex-trafficked daughter who doesn’t eat enough because she is messed up in the head. (And she applies make up as well as my friend’s alcoholic closeted lesbian mom who was pushed into marriage with my friend’s older & boring-as-fuck dad by family pressure.)

Putintseva has a great lower body if you like a “strong fit base”.

Venus should retire and marry whomever it is that she may marry. Training to go get your ass kicked in the first round several times of year is hardly a noble endeavor.

Steffi was so dominant that she won TWO Annual Grand Slams whereas Martina & Serena never won one. The closest either came was owning all 4 titles at once, but across consecutive years, like Tiger in golf. (Of course, Serena made it sound like she did the unimaginable when she did it.) Steffi was helped in her GS accumulation by the German fan who stabbed Monica Seles, because Monica had gotten to the point where Steffi was only superior on grass, but pre-peak Monica, Steffi was insane. And she won all of those Grand Slam events by the age of 30, playing many more no-name tournaments per year than “today’s stars”.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Fed out in 3 tight sets. 

2-all in the third of Sloane/Kasatkina now. 

The announcer just said:

"In case you are wondering, it is 7 breaks to 6."... but now it is 8 breaks to 6.

So out of 22 games in this match, there have been 14 service breaks.

HOLY CRAP!!

Wouldn't you think about working on a serve and trying to make it into a weapon? or at least NOT a huge liability?

63.63....% of the games have resulted in a broken serve.

Stephens lost her 2 serve of the 3rd set at LOVE! Then Stephens won the first point returning, so the returner won 5 straight points (if not more. I just turned it on.)

This is pitiful! 😂

Now Kasatkina is down 15-40... and Sloane duffed the return into the net.

EDIT: Stephens with a really nice anticipation volley to win the game.

15 breaks out of 23 games. 65.2% of all games have ended in service breaks

Edited by Napoleon

16 of 24 games: 66.66666666667% breaks

Sloane has been broken 9 times (so far)

Kasatkina broken 7 times (so far)

EDIT: Apparently it is really windy.

Both players are just trying to let the other one make the mistake.

The lofted returns to get out of trouble are frequently drifting off to the right and out. The win is blowing cross court. This is just a clusterfuck of an ugly match that they both want to just get through and then play again on Thursday with better weather and a day of rest that their opponent won't be getting.

Edited by Napoleon

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Technically, Sloane ‘wins’. 

Sloane was up 0-40 in the final game, Kasatkina played 3 really strong points to take it to deuce. Then Sloane won a point and then a nice point for the match.

She looks fit and hungry... for the first couple of weeks since early 2020. 

Now we are treated with a Schmiedlova vs Anisimova match.

Schmiedlova 2 . 1
Anisimova(5) 6 . 2

Today, Shmiedlova appears to be a spritely feminine German man. (Hair back, pinned to her head, and wearing shorts & polo shirt.) 

Anisimova now up a break in the 2nd set. She looks to be playing fairly clean tennis. First set took 39 minutes and they are 15 minutes into the second set.

They are playing on a side court, but it doesn't appear to be as windy as the court that Sloane & Kasatkina were playing on. Amanda's loose-haired ponytail doesn't seem to be moving from the wind at all. Her left knee/ lower thigh is taped, but no idea what for.

Edited by Napoleon

9 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Sounds like Dallas is getting an ATP event 

Indoor or outdoor?

I went to a WTA event in the original Moody Coliseum [a long time ago].

My brother worked a WTA event in the early’90s where he remembered this skinny young player made a lot of noise and beat the crap out of the ball with both hands...

... the following spring, that young girl beat Steffi Graf to win the French Open. 

I watched an ITF (men’s) futures event on The Tennis Channel in early 2020 (before the pandemic shut shit down) that took place at T Bar M tennis club in Dallas, just up from Preston Rd. & I-635 (LBJ Freeway)...

But I don’t recall Dallas ever having an ATP, unless it was in the ‘70s/ early ‘80s during John McEnroe’s reign. 

(However I did play indoor soccer with Patrick McEnroe when he was in Dallas because he was dating my friend’s sister back in 1987.)

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Gauff/Giorgi on now. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

2 & 3 for Coco, that was easy. 

Giorgi has a ceiling that she hit a few years ago. She is usually steady, but is only having a threat when someone is coming up & learning how to temper emotions, or... when a good player is having a bad day. 

She is easy to pull for, gives her all, can look lovely at times, but just doesn’t have Top 50 ability. She’s steady, so with enough events, she could sneak into the Top 50 on occasion, but it would be due to playing an excessive number of semi-obscure events and matching up with enough players who beat themselves. 

She’s close to the polar opposite of Coco.

Start of the press release is below. I’m thinking the indoor SMU center is small (very nice but small) and not sure how they’ll set up the stands. I don’t know what type of players they’ll attract, but looking forward to it for sure. 

The ATP Tour will return to Dallas, Texas, for the first time in more than 30 years next season when one of America’s longest-running tournaments takes anchor in the Lone Star state as the Dallas Open. The ATP 250, the only indoor tour-level event in the United States, will be held at the Styslinger/Altec Tennis Complex at Southern Methodist University.

The tournament, which will be held from 6-13 February 2022.

1 hour ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Start of the press release is below. I’m thinking the indoor SMU center is small (very nice but small) and not sure how they’ll set up the stands. I don’t know what type of players they’ll attract, but looking forward to it for sure. 

The ATP Tour will return to Dallas, Texas, for the first time in more than 30 years next season when one of America’s longest-running tournaments takes anchor in the Lone Star state as the Dallas Open. The ATP 250, the only indoor tour-level event in the United States, will be held at the Styslinger/Altec Tennis Complex at Southern Methodist University.

The tournament, which will be held from 6-13 February 2022.

I don't know anything about the inside of the "Styslinger/Altec Tennis Complex", but I doubt that the center court can accommodate more than 2,000 for a match.

The "Center Court" should be Moody Coliseum, if there isn't a basketball conflict.
(Having to schedule Men's & Women's games AWAY for a week might be too much.)

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 4.16.32 PM.png

Edited by Napoleon

Here’s plain text for us dark mode users. 

The tournament, which will be held from 6-13 February 2022, had been played in New York for the past three years. It has a storied history, with former champions including legends John McEnroe, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Andy Roddick, Michael Chang, Andy Murray and Kei Nishikori.

The Dallas Open marks the return of ATP Tour tennis to Dallas for the first time since 1989. The World Championship of Tennis Finals was held in Dallas from 1971-89.

They call it ‘one of America’s longest-running tournaments’, but only mention it has been in NY the past 3 years. Where the hell was it before? 

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Here’s plain text for us dark mode users. 

They call it ‘one of America’s longest-running tournaments’, but only mention it has been in NY the past 3 years. Where the hell was it before? 

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Looks like Memphis from 1975-2017. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Open_(tennis)

If the rights move from one city to another and then to another, it is NOT the same fucking tournament, no matter what the bozo writing that shit into wikipedia says.

But apparently I may have seen McEnroe play in "The World Championship of Tennis Finals". Can't recall for sure on that one like I can recall with Martina at Moody in the late '70s-ish.

The quote Kevin & I posted is directly from the ATP’s site, but there are some discrepancies. When Roddick & Murray were winning, it was in San Jose. Compare these past winners to the Wiki list. 

https://www.atptour.com/en/tournaments/new-york/424/overview

Basically, this tourney just bounces around to whoever’s check can clear for a few years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Lethargic Sloane lost to Wang in straight sets. Wang will play Gauff for the title 

Didn't watch, but saw that Sloane went to a tie-breaker in the 2nd set.

She's been like her old self the last couple of weeks. Sorry that she didn't make it to the final if she's going to try.

Former champ Halep withdraws from French Open due to calf injury

f707f6e036085432db6f3c02a1eab266

(Reuters) - Former French Open champion Simona Halep said on Friday she will not play at Roland Garros this year because she is recovering from a calf injury.

Halep retired from her Italian Open second-round match against Angelique Kerber last week. An ultrasound later revealed a tear in her left calf.

"It’s with a heavy heart that I announce my withdrawal from @rolandgarros this year," she tweeted https://twitter.com/Simona_Halep/status/1395666060054044672. "Unfortunately the tear in my left calf needs more time to recover and the timeline is just too short.

"Withdrawing from a Grand Slam goes against all my instincts and aspirations as an athlete, but it is the right and only decision to make."

Halep won her maiden Gram Slam title at the French Open in 2018, beating American Sloane Stephens in the final.

The claycourt showpiece is set to begin on May 30.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tennis-former-champ-halep-withdraws-093335548.html

Poor Bianca, seems like she can never quite get a run where she stays healthy.  

I am stoked for RG.  Want to see if Tsitsi can finally win a slam.  I think he is right behind the big 3 now (and who knows if Fed still belongs) especially on clay.  Thiem looks like dogshit and Med is terrible on clay.  

I think Swiatek or Barty takes the women’s side.  Although Sabalenka blitzing her way through would be entertaining.

7 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This will certainly piss some people off. 

7 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I mean I guess she has the money to pay the fines For missing the press obligations. She is the highest paid female athlete in the world so she has that privilege

And she currently sucks on clay. I'm fairly certain that she still has never won consecutive matches on clay as a professional.

I repeat: NEVER WON CONSECUTIVE MATCHES ON CLAY AS A PROFESSIONAL.

That was her start going into Madrid and I don't think that anything has changed since.

She knows that she's going to lose and doesn't want to answer bullshit questions when it happens.

• Rage+1 1

She’s made R3 of French three times. Come on, bro. 

This year she has been awful on clay.  Bad form tends to predict performance.  I thought at first she was going political then realized it was simpler than that.

43 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

#4 Kenin v. Ostapenko is a tossup. Not the 1st round Kenin was hoping for

If were forced to wager, I would take Ostapenko in this matchup.

Kenin has been playing like dog shit the last several months, fired her dad, is still trying to figure out how to pick & choose tournaments, and is basically a head case at the moment.

Ostapenko hasn't challenged for any tournaments this spring, but she has had some solid wins in the clay court season. She's not much of a threat to string 7 matches together at the moment (nor was she when she won the French Open a few years ago), but she is much more likely to win a one-off.

RG women's draw

I'll get a thread up later. 

The bottom quarter of the draw is a toss up.:
-Naomi Osaka (2) is horrible on clay
-Bianca Andreescu (6) has been dealing with injuries and I'm not even sure she'll play
-Alison Riske (27) hasn't done anything in at least a year, but is benefitting from the crazy scoring system
-Johanna Konta (19) only wins 1 to 3 games at majors
-Kiki Bertens (16) [same]

I would pick Belinda Bencic (10) to make it out of this quarter if she can get past last year's semifinalist from Argentina, Nadia Podoroska, in the first round.