Formula 1 2021

wood

Welp, off to 2021 we go! Hope it's at least a little more compelling than 2020.

Alonso, in. Perez, in RBR. Alex, out. Mazepin in (assuming he doesn't torpedo himself before the season starts). Toto, back for 3 more. Lewis, next to re-up? Aston Martin & Alpine, in. Carey, out. Domenicali, in. Danny to McLaren. Carlos to Ferrari. Vettel to Aston Martin.

Kimi and Alonso will have raced with Jos and Max, and Michael and Mick. Amazing.

Check out this Alpine concept livery by Dessga Arturo Garcia. Wow ...

https://www.behance.net/gallery/105559233/Alpine-Formula-1-Team-2022

96a4cf105559233.5f7c07719a9fa.jpg

0407ba105559233.5f7c07719bb36.jpg

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 2:07 PM, wood said:

Welp, off to 2021 we go! Hope it's at least a little more compelling than 2020.

Alonso, in. Perez, in RBR. Alex, out. Mazepin in (assuming he doesn't torpedo himself before the season starts). Toto, back for 3 more. Lewis, next to re-up? Aston Martin & Alpine, in. Carey, out. Domenicali, in. Danny to McLaren. Carlos to Ferrari. Vettel to Aston Martin.

Kimi and Alonso will have raced with Jos and Max, and Michael and Mick. Amazing.

Check out this Alpine concept livery by Dessga Arturo Garcia. Wow ...

https://www.behance.net/gallery/105559233/Alpine-Formula-1-Team-2022

96a4cf105559233.5f7c07719a9fa.jpg

0407ba105559233.5f7c07719bb36.jpg

That is sharp as hell!

20 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

And HAAS once again. with a craptacular livery ... no rhyme, no reason, no identity. As vacuous and forgettable as the team itself.

Are there pics out there, or is this your prediction? I agree though ... shitty, uninspiring team. I don't see them being on the grid past next year as Haas.

2 hours ago, wood said:

Are there pics out there, or is this your prediction? I agree though ... shitty, uninspiring team. I don't see them being on the grid past next year as Haas.

I have not seen any pics and don't know anyone on the inside. Just random speculation.

It's livery last year looking a lot like the old John Player Lotus looked sharp.

They're an embarrassment.

In.

And belatedly want to thank all you guys who add to my knowledge of the sport - I've been fairly casually following it for +/- 20 years (still kind of like to get up at the crack of hell West Coast time to watch the races live) - but I've learned a ton from reading you surly bastards and the info you've posted both here and at TOS.

Cheers to the lot of you - and hopes for normal racing in 2021 (although I'd really liked to have seen Portimão back on the calendar).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Australia likely to get postponed till "later in the year." Apparently, Melbourne has a 14-day quarantine policy in effect, which would require all personnel to arrive three weeks prior.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12179113/formula-1-2021-season-opening-australian-gp-set-to-be-postponed

Yeah I've been hearing for a couple of months that Australia is in doubt because of the travel restrictions there, and that all the Americas races are in doubt as well. Of course they put everything on the calendar as normal because they have to honor contracts & all that. While I don't see this year's calendar being quite as messed up as 2020, I think there will still be a fair amount of disruption and they'll have to continue in Semper Gumby mode.

ETA: ...and here we go. 

Todt not expecting "a normal F1 season" in 2021 https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/todt-2021-season-not-normal-covid/4935656/

I'm sure that over the next days, we will hear quite a lot of potential changes on the different calendars, not only Formula 1, but on other calendars.

"If I had to commit on a back to kind of normal, even if I feel it will be a different life behind the COVID-19 crisis, I think half of next year, in my opinion, will not be as we could have expected to have in a normal season."

Edited by wood

https://www.racefans.net/2021/01/06/f1-races-will-start-on-the-hour-again-in-2021/

In a further change which will also be discussed, Formula 1 may also bring the start times for European races forward by an hour. Most European races began at 3:10pm local time last year; this year’s races could therefore start at 2pm instead.

Cyril was apparently all set to be Alpine CEO and was even announced as such to the F1 team recently. Some big shit must have happened to derail that. Losing out to a customer team yet again and coming in P5 in the championship even with a shit year from Ferrari couldn't have done him any favors though. From everything I can tell, De Meo is a racer at heart and is going after guys who can get shit done in that regard. Everything I've read about Brivio tells me he's a fantastic hire for Alpine. From what I'm reading on Autosport, the guys there think Brivio will run more in the TP role on the pit wall, reporting to Rossi as CEO of the Alpine brand.

This Motorsport article reads like Cyril left of his own accord. They also seem to think Budkowski will assume TP duties. I have no idea what to think.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/cyril-abiteboul-leaves-renault-alpine/4961628/?ic_source=home-page-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-1

Edited by wood

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a35173837/alpine-f1-team-principal-cyril-abiteboul-out-as-part-of-major-shake-up/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=011121&utm_campaign=nl22624908&utm_term=AUT_Autoweek_Racing_Daily_Newsletter_Subscribers

There has been a big shake-up at Alpine with Laurent Rossi being named as the CEO of the company and in charge of the company’s sporting activities, including the Formula 1 team. The news is a surprise. 

Abiteboul, 43, is leaving the company after 20 years. It remains to be seen whether he is moving to a new role in Formula 1.

-----------------

interesting to read the stories about this. 

Now there's some talk that Budkowski's spot is in doubt as well.

F1 Calendar adjusted, too. Austin, Mexico, and Brazil are now a triple header, if they happen.

Revised F1 2021 calendar
March 28 - Bahrain (Sakhir)
April 18 - Italy (Imola)*
May 2 - TBC (TBC)
May 9 - Spain (Barcelona)
May 23 - Monaco (Monaco)
June 6 - Azerbaijan (Baku)
June 13 - Canada (Montreal)
June 27 - France (Le Castellet)
July 4 - Austria (Spielberg)
July 18 - United Kingdom (Silverstone)
August 1 - Hungary (Budapest)
August 29 - Belgium (Spa)
September 5 - Netherlands (Zandvoort)
September 12 - Italy (Monza)
September 26 - Russia (Sochi)
October 3 - Singapore (Singapore)
October 10 - Japan (Suzuka)
October 24 - USA (Austin)
October 31 - Mexico (Mexico City)
November 7 - Brazil (Sao Paulo)
November 21 - Australia (Melbourne)*
December 5 - Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)**
December 12 - Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi)

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Not going to dog F1 because it is like soccer with its world wide popularity but...

What is the allure exactly?

I have tried to watch it and the cars are amazing but there is no actual racing.

How many times does the pole sitter win the race?

Seems like a lot to me.

The allure for me IS the cars.  Absolutely. 

You're right that the racing could be better, at least at the top.  It wasn't always this way.  And having one team so dominant, isn't helping either.  Not unlike the Alabama fatigue in college football, lots of people are tired of watching Mercedes and Lewis dominate.

When the world feed directors CHOOSE to show the middle of the pack, a lot of times there's some good racing there.  I'm not talking about the back-markers, but when you have quality drivers like Ricciardo and Leclerc in cars that most weeks aren't vying for the podium, it's still fun to watch them race each other midpack.  The problem is, television doesn't show a ton of that.

• Like 1

Yeah aside from a handful of drivers, the cars are the stars, even if less so than in past formulae for many fans. For me, the often exotic locations also play a role. There's always been dominance in one form or another in F1, but the sheer predictability at the pointy end right now is just a beating, as is the huge gulf between the top teams and the midfield. Even when RBR had their run, the pecking order varied more from race to race and the outcomes of the races and championships  typically weren't essentially a foregone conclusion the way they are now.

A lot of people also try to compare it to MotoGP, but the problem there is that they have Marc Marquez.

He got hurt in the first race, was out the entire year, and the rest of the season was basically a show of inconsistency by everyone else. It was really cool that Suzuki and Mir won, but the season was kind of a Tour de France type thing.

Now, obviously in MotoGP the rider makes quite a big difference, but when Marc is riding, he’s pretty much guaranteed to win the championship every year, not unlike a Mercedes.

Also, it obviously helps that my driver keeps winning, but I enjoy looking at the super high res photos of the updates to the cars every race just as much as anything else, because they are absolute works of art.

12 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Not going to dog F1 because it is like soccer with its world wide popularity but...

What is the allure exactly?

I have tried to watch it and the cars are amazing but there is no actual racing.

How many times does the pole sitter win the race?

Seems like a lot to me.

All the money and all the tech propelling humans down the asphalt as fast as they can go. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, pops said:

All the money and all the tech propelling humans down the asphalt as fast as they can go. 

That is great and all but I like to watch a race and not a parade as F1 seems to be.

Pretty sure NASCAR has more passing (overtaking) and lead changes in one race than F1 has all year.

Not knocking it, just do not understand the allure.

12 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

That is great and all but I like to watch a race and not a parade as F1 seems to be.

Pretty sure NASCAR has more passing (overtaking) and lead changes in one race than F1 has all year.

Not knocking it, just do not understand the allure.

Then I guess this thread isn't for you?

NASCAR has what what I call "fake passing."  if you're on a massive oval going 200 mph with a line of cars behind you, and someone in that line moves out and breaks your draft, and the other line of cars immediately next to you also going 200 mph all of a sudden starts passing you in great numbers, there's nothing interesting to me about that "pass."  It's just a matter of physics.  That doesn't entertain me.

But, I'm not headed over to the NASCAR thread to tell fans of those races that there's no allure to the things they like.

Several of us have explained why we enjoy it.  You don't get it.  That's fine.  Not sure what else you really need to say about your opinion.  

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

However, I'll certainly agree that some of the races become pretty processional, and I'd love to see more movement especially at the top of the field.  We're in an era of F1 where overtaking is pretty difficult, and where one team dominates the championships, and that's not nearly as interesting as many of us wish it were.