Formula 1 2021

wood

17 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

If only there was something like a line painted on the ground that everyone could see....

Yup.  Looks pretty clear to me.

Of course Toto has to say things like that, since for some reason the racing stewards DID allow his team to cheat the line on numerous occasions. 

I think a lot of the consternation about this recently is because Michael Masi is a shit race director. Yes, this stuff happened sometimes when Charlie was the race director, but I think that Masi just doesn’t do a good job at conveying and clarifying what he actually means. They seem to miss a lot of little details in the race notes and in the drivers’ meetings, then *issue occurs*, and people are up in arms. Rinse and repeat.

Ahem.

16 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

The stewards should have threatened him the first time he went over the line, assuming they gave a shit. As a driver, push all limits you can to win, especially if all you get is a warning before a penalty.

Exactly.  

Similarly, Texas should be cheating in football just as much as OU, A&M, and all the rest of the SEC.  They're not getting punished for it in any meaningful way, so what's the point in following the rules?

Exactly.  
Similarly, Texas should be cheating in football just as much as OU, A&M, and all the rest of the SEC.  They're not getting punished for it in any meaningful way, so what's the point in following the rules?

If they are willing to risk it... Max went too far and passed. Cash in envelopes vs getting momma a nice job at the bank.

Just caught up. Was an entertaining race. But yeah, those track limits are just stupid the way they are enforced

Hopefully there will be decent competition but it’s hard to say this early.

Haas just gets shittier every year, pretty amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

China (April 11) was canceled, so Imola (April 18) was added and split the difference between China’s date and the already canceled Vietnam race slot (April 25), then the Vietnam slot was then given to Portimão (May 2nd), one week later than the original date.

There are like 3 back-to-back to-backs later in the year though. The second half of the schedule after the summer break is loaded.

I bet we still lose a few races, however. Canada probably isn’t likely to happen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was told today that a May Miami race might be announced in the next week or two. Then tonight I saw these tweets...

Adam Beasley 
@AdamHBeasley
Exciting news in @CityofMiaGarden: Mayor has introduced a resolution with a deal for @F1 racing at @HardRockStadium. 

Adam Beasley
@AdamHBeasley
Package includes $5M commitment and benefits for local residents, businesses and restaurants in @CityofMiaGarden. Key items include noise mitigation barriers and no racing on MG public roads incl 199th St or during school hours. https://t.co/OYG405Dvwu

Adam Beasley
@AdamHBeasley
@CityofMiaGarden would be the first predominately African-American city to host @F1 and race would bring significant economic impact to South Florida. 

Adam Beasley
@AdamHBeasley
Latest proposal could end impasse and bring Formula One Racing to Miami Gardens 
https://t.co/FZq5uwesLh

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Is COTA not happening?

AFAIK, it's ok for next year (which is the final one currently under contract). I have heard that it could be in trouble for this year, esp if Canada, MxC, and Brazil don't happen. Canada and Brazil are already looking pretty doubtful. That's probably the biggest hurdle for COTA - if Canada, Mexico, and Brazil get cancelled, is it worth it for F1 to send the circus to Austin?

ETA: Check that. Brainfart. THIS year is the final race under the current contract with F1. So, re: next year, who knows?

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wood said:

AFAIK, it's ok for next year (which is the final one currently under contract). I have heard that it could be in trouble for this year, esp if Canada, MxC, and Brazil don't happen. Canada and Brazil are already looking pretty doubtful. That's probably the biggest hurdle for COTA - if Canada, Mexico, and Brazil get cancelled, is it worth it for F1 to send the circus to Austin?

ETA: Check that. Brainfart. THIS year is the final race under the current contract with F1. So, re: next year, who knows?

Canada is in June, a week after Ajerbaijan and 2 weeks before France. Australia is another race that is bracketed by distant lands. If they can do it them, why can’t they do it for Austin?

26 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Canada is in June, a week after Ajerbaijan and 2 weeks before France. Australia is another race that is bracketed by distant lands. If they can do it them, why can’t they do it for Austin?

They might be able to. The way it is now, though, they get 4 races out of making one Atlantic crossing & return. That's what has some people thinking that crossing might not be financially palatable for just one race. Houston & Dallas are also about 50% farther from the UK than Montreal. Next year, it looks like they'll also be getting 2 races out of the Montreal/Miami crossing, too, which I think is something they've been after. 

I have no idea what they'll do. 

Edited by wood

5 minutes ago, faps said:

Re: Miami, So they are gonna set up in the Hard Rock stadium parking lot?

Reminds me of Champ Car and ALMS in the Reliant/Astrodome parking lot... it was shitty.

That really sucked, and was unsafe AF. My boy and I watched the start from the grandstands where Franchitti wrecked. We left there after about 5 minutes when I decided it just didn't look safe to be there. The fencing was an absolute joke and the bleachers were way too close, right up next to the joke of a fence. 

That circuit was literally just run on the actual parking lot surface. Bumpy AF. The Miami renders make it look like they'll lay down new asphalt for the entire circuit. But who knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

They might be able to. The way it is now, though, they get 4 races out of making one Atlantic crossing & return. That's what has some people thinking that crossing might not be financially palatable for just one race. Houston & Dallas are also about 50% farther from the UK than Montreal. Next year, it looks like they'll also be getting 2 races out of the Montreal/Miami crossing, too, which I think is something they've been after. 
I have no idea what they'll do. 
Canada is in June by itself on the schedule so that's one race for one crossing. And Sao Paulo is almost as far from Mexico City as Austin is from Silverstone. So it's more like 1 race for 6500 miles and then another 3 for 16000 miles.

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

Canada is in June by itself on the schedule so that's one race for one crossing. And Sao Paulo is almost as far from Mexico City as Austin is from Silverstone. So it's more like 1 race for 6500 miles and then another 3 for 16000 miles.

Yep, but I think they're trying to get more bang for the buck from the flyaways, which may be one reason they're pushing for a May Miami race, pairing it with Montreal (and because they don't want it in hurricane season). In a normal year, it probably wouldn't matter as much, but it's a bigger consideration in this covid climate, where they have reduced revenues. I still don't know either way what will happen to Austin this year, but I was told way before Oz was cancelled that Oz was not gonna happen and all the Americas races were in doubt. With Canada and Brazil looking very doubtful at this point, that's 3 of those 5.

It also seems like pitting a new Miami GP against Indy & NASCAR on Memorial Day weekend seems less than optimal. So who knows ...

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yep, but I think they're trying to get more bang for the buck from the flyaways, which may be one reason they're pushing for a May Miami race, pairing it with Montreal (and because they don't want it in hurricane season). In a normal year, it probably wouldn't matter as much, but it's a bigger consideration in this covid climate, where they have reduced revenues. I still don't know either way what will happen to Austin this year, but I was told way before Oz was cancelled that Oz was not gonna happen and all the Americas races were in doubt. With Canada and Brazil looking very doubtful at this point, that's 3 of those 5.

It also seems like pitting a new Miami GP against Indy & NASCAR on Memorial Day weekend seems less than optimal. So who knows ...

and move monaco?

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

and move monaco?

That was my first thought too, when it was brought up elsewhere, but they've already moved Monaco to May 23rd for this season. No Memorial Day weekend race at all. I thought that was interesting when I first saw it come up that way on the schedule.

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, wood said:

That was my first thought too, when it was brought up elsewhere, but they've already moved Monaco to May 23rd for this season. No Memorial Day weekend race at all. I thought that was interesting when I first saw it come up that way on the schedule.

Wow, I totally missed this.  Monaco isn't Memorial Day weekend...  instead. it's on the NASCAR weekend at COTA.

Thinking about this a little bit though, it could be pretty cool to mix in watching F1 practice and qualy on TV, all around NASCAR and support race stuff.  And then waking up that Sunday morning, watching Monaco, and then walking into COTA to watch the NASCAR race.

This could be pretty interesting.

• Like 1