Formula 1 2021

wood

Can someone explain to me why during his stop just prior to the Russell/Bottas incident (looked like an unfortunate coincidence of independent bad luck/fault to me - not surprising if each guy blames the other), Lewis put on a set of scuffs instead of a set of brand new intermediate tires? I think he later put on a new set of slicks during the red flag, didn't he? 

Can someone explain to me why during his stop just prior to the Russell/Bottas incident (looked like an unfortunate coincidence of independent bad luck/fault to me - not surprising if each guy blames the other), Lewis put on a set of scuffs instead of a set of brand new intermediate tires? I think he later put on a new set of slicks during the red flag, didn't he? 

Not sure why they didn’t put a new set on at the first stop. Conditions were fine for slicks but seems like everyone else used a new set. Then when he came in for the stop after going off, he got a new set of mediums and a new nose.

On the restart I believe he was on those same mediums to the end.

2 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

Red Bull looks like they may be ready to put up a fight this season. Too bad Perez couldn’t keep his car on the track. 

Perez needs to step it up for RB to have a chance to beat Mercedes. I’m not sure he can stay in touch with Bottas. 

McLaren made a mistake not putting Norris on mediums.  Ferrari was very strong today. The race for third in Construtors will be fun this year.  Riccardio did Norris no favors by not defending Hamilton better. I thought Russell and Bottas both made mistakes in that incident. 

I hate the ability to unlap under red.  Those guys were fairly lapped.  Bullshit that they get a get out of jail free card to get back into the race. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

McLaren made a mistake not putting Norris on mediums.  Ferrari was very strong today. The race for third in Construtors will be fun this year.  Riccardio did Norris no favors by not defending Hamilton better. I thought Russell and Bottas both made mistakes in that incident. 

I hate the ability to unlap under red.  Those guys were fairly lapped.  Bullshit that they get a get out of jail free card to get back into the race. 

They are required to move out of the way to get lapped. Take that away and make front runners race to lap, and I would agree with you.
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

They are required to move out of the way to get lapped. Take that away and make front runners race to lap, and I would agree with you.

Absolutely.  I hate the blue flag.  Nobody should be forced to let themselves get lapped.  If a car truly is faster and worthy of being ahead, then they should be able to make the pass.  If you can't make the pass, you didn't earn the spot.

But let's be clear-- that's not what happened to Lewis.  He wasn't blue flagged and forced to give up spots. 

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

The DRS was too strong to keep the Merc behind when the lead car didn't have it. Look at the difference between the laps when both had it and when only the attacking car had it. When both had it, Lewis could hardly even get close. When only Lewis had it, he easily blew right by before the braking zone. 

Re: the unlapping, in this particular case, it was the difference between Lewis finishing 2nd vs finishing what, 7th?

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

i hope he does.  and not just because i like Checo.  i also want to see an end to Red Bull's revolving door for a second driver.

I think Checo will be great in that car & it's just like Horner said ... he just needs more seat time. Once he gets comfortable he'll be a points machine like he always has been imho.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Absolutely.  I hate the blue flag.  Nobody should be forced to let themselves get lapped.  If a car truly is faster and worthy of being ahead, then they should be able to make the pass.  If you can't make the pass, you didn't earn the spot.

But let's be clear-- that's not what happened to Lewis.  He wasn't blue flagged and forced to give up spots. 

This. Fuck the blue flag. Do it like Indy car did today. No blue flag. 

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Miami is going to be a shitshow.

I don't know any of the specifics, but I lived there long enough to know that it won't be done well, efficiently, sensibly, or economically. 

So it's a lot like Austin then. Good to know!

• Haha 1