Formula 1 2021

wood

McLaren’s Zak Brown calls for secret voting and F1 calendar rotation racer.com/2021/04/29/mclarens-zak-brown-calls-for-secret-voting-and-f1-calendar-rotation/

He's not wrong imho, and I've been calling for this kind of GP rotation for about 10 years now.

Edited by wood

20 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup, saw that this morning.  I've never seen him live, I'm looking forward to it.

Favorite team since I was a little kid, is Ferrari.

My favorite drivers are Fernando Alonso and Daniel Ricciardo.

And as a Michael Schumacher fan, I'm watching Mick with interest, although he's on a terrible, terrible team.

I just started season 2, which is 2019, and he retired. Guess he's back?

From what I've seen, I like Ricciardo. 

16 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Just checking out this thread after becoming addicted to the Formula 1 series on Netflix. Who is everyone's favorite team/driver?

Sup!

Team: McLaren. 

Drivers: ALO. . . . . NOR, RIC, RAI, VER, LEC, SAI, HAM, PER, and TSU is coming on strong.

2 hours ago, lateshow said:

Just checking out this thread after becoming addicted to the Formula 1 series on Netflix. Who is everyone's favorite team/driver?

My favorites are Leclerc, Norris, and Sainz. I don’t think this season will let me root for Ferrari and McLaren so I’ll have to go Ferrari because Leclerc if my favorite. What he did with the 2018 Sauber and that shitty Faerrari last year was damn impressive. I’m ready to see him get to compete in a car capable of winning the championship. Looks like the earliest that might be is 22 at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, lateshow said:

i started out cheering for Haas because it's the American team.  but i can't root for that Russian.

i don't really care for Verstappen, but it's hard to deny his talent.  and as interesting as Horner seems to be, i can't say i like the way he treated Gasley.  but i want Red Bull to beat Mercedes.  i also do like Checo.

i've never been a Ferrari fanboi, but i am rooting for them this year.  mainly because they sucked last year, and i like Leclerc and Sainz. 

i also want to see McClaren do well.  i like Zak Brown.  Lando seems like a good dude with talent.  Ricciardo also seems like a good dude with talent, but he seems like he goofs off too much and doesn't take driving as seriously as he should.  but that may just be the way Netflix portrayed him.

My wife and I are huge Mercedes fans and Hamilton is our #1 driver. We love the precision and utter domination of that team.

After that - I like McLaren and love the teaming of Norris and Daniel. I started watching Norris his last year in GP2. He’s an unreal driver.

Field is nicely bunched after FP2, 1 sec covering the top 12. Alpine with some pace, Max and Lewis tight at the top. Hope Sergio can get up there and fight with Valtteri. Also, what the hell is Vettel doing??

Looking forward to Quali.

FP2.png

• Hook 'Em 1

BTW, aside from from being cancelled for this year & extended through 2031 (good news ... can't wait to get back there!), there's more good news for the Canadian GP. Octane Group, the Canadian GP promoter, has been purchased by Bell Communications in Canada. Dumontier will stay on with Octane and all employees keep their jobs. Sounds like everyone wins, esp the City of Montreal and us fans.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=fr&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lapresse.ca%2Faffaires%2Fentreprises%2F2021-04-30%2Fbell-devient-le-promoteur-du-grand-prix.php

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm pretty confused--was there/is there qualifying today (Friday) for the sprint race tomorrow? Can find nothing about TV time/channel coverage for the qualifying that happened (?) today.

I see some Practice stuff for Friday, but are they calling today's qualis part of the "practice" sessions?

There is no sprint race tomorrow.  It's not this weekend.  FP1,2 and 3 and qualifying.
ETA:  There will be three and they have not been announced.  Silverstone and Monza are expected to be two of the three.
Saw Brazil a possibility? Curious to see it in action and if it changes the order much.

Can someone explain the tire rules for me? I understand what each type does, but there seems to be some rules on what order you can use them? Also, if you use a type for qualifying you have to start with that type on race day (may have made this up)?

I could be wrong on my interpretation but I feel like there are some confusing rules there.

Can someone explain the tire rules for me? I understand what each type does, but there seems to be some rules on what order you can use them? Also, if you use a type for qualifying you have to start with that type on race day (may have made this up)?

I could be wrong on my interpretation but I feel like there are some confusing rules there.

Firstly, there are 5 compounds to choose from. They call them C1 to C5, hardest to softest. Pirelli decides which 3 to bring to a race weekend depending on the circuit characteristics (abrasive or smooth) and the location temperature/climate. Typically they bring 3 consecutive compounds in order (like this week they have C1, 2, and 3), but sometimes they skip one and may do something like C1, C2, and C4. Regardless, these are always marked with corresponding colors, red is softest tire for the weekend, yellow is medium, white is hardest. They also being intermediate and full wet tires (compounds of these are always the same and do not change) just in case.

Teams get 13 sets of tires for a weekend. Pirelli will specify two sets that must be saved for the race (typically one set each of the two harder compounds), and one set of the softest compound is saved for qualifying.

For the other 10, the teams used to be able to choose what they wanted, but last year and this year Pirelli has made that decision for easier logistics during pandemic times.

So, for example, each car may have something like 8 soft, 3 medium, and 2 hard sets for practice, qualifying, and race.

Teams then give back two (used) sets to Pirelli after FP1, 2 after FP2, and 2 after FP3. Pirelli will study these used tires to see how they wore to help gather data for the future. That leaves 7 sets left for Q and the race (including the three mandatory sets as described above).

So, taking the two mandatory race sets away, teams will typically want to save another new set of tires for the race as well, leaving 4 sets for Q. For the top teams, that usually means using 1 in Q1, 1 in Q2, and 2 in Q3. However, if you make it to Q3, you actually get one more set of soft tires to use (a 14th set). Sometimes teams will make a run on used tires in some of the Q sessions as well, or, if they didn’t get a clean run in, may have to use another one of their new soft sets which means they may no longer have that extra new set for the race (but can still use used tires for it).

So in the end, the teams usually end up with 3 new sets (and 4 used sets) for the race, but they will always have 2 at minimum.

For cars that made it to Q3, they are required to start on the tires that their Q2 time was set with. This is why you see some teams try to use a harder medium compound to make it into Q3 with, since starting the race on a harder tire opens up more strategy options. Everyone else behind the top 10 on the grid can choose whichever tire of the sets they have left to start the race on.

Sorry that was long, but I think I got most of it. There’s some other rules that come in to play when it’s wet, like being able to trade some of your dry sets for intermediate or wet sets, but I don’t remember them exactly.
  • Like 5

Can you repeat that middle part?

Kidding, I love the detail. I’m a new Netflix fan too (after two seasons). Watching practice this week I was thinking “Wait, Daniel is with McLaren? Carlos is with Ferrari? Who the fuck is Alpha Tauri?” Then I realized oh, spoiler alert I guess.

That said I’m team Verstappen all the way. Guy is a stud and a fierce competitor. I like Christian Horner too. And I while Hamilton and Wolff are easy to like, you can’t pick the Yankees.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Can you repeat that middle part?

Kidding, I love the detail. I’m a new Netflix fan too (after two seasons). Watching practice this week I was thinking “Wait, Daniel is with McLaren? Carlos is with Ferrari? Who the fuck is Alpha Tauri?” Then I realized oh, spoiler alert I guess.

That said I’m team Verstappen all the way. Guy is a stud and a fierce competitor. I like Christian Horner too. And I while Hamilton and Wolff are easy to like, you can’t pick the Yankees.

You like Horner because he married a Spice Girl

😏

• Drool 1

I’m coming to F1 after watching DTS last spring and the new season last month, so I don’t know the drivers as well as others of you.

I think I may be in the minority in not liking Ricciardo. He just seems like the guy who thinks he’s way funnier than he actually is and gets on your nerves at the bar trying to be overly jovial all the time. I do like Zak Brown and Norris though, so have mixed feelings on McLarin.

I like both Sainz and LeClerc, so probably going to be a Ferrari guy. I also enjoy the story of a former power house trying to regain glory (much like our beloved football team).

1 minute ago, Stringer said:

I’m coming to F1 after watching DTS last spring and the new season last month, so I don’t know the drivers as well as others of you.

I think I may be in the minority in not liking Ricciardo. He just seems like the guy who thinks he’s way funnier than he actually is and gets on your nerves at the bar trying to be overly jovial all the time. I do like Zak Brown and Norris though, so have mixed feelings on McLarin.

I like both Sainz and LeClerc, so probably going to be a Ferrari guy. I also enjoy the story of a former power house trying to regain glory (much like our beloved football team).

I’ve been on the record as really liking Norris.  Brown, in my eyes, is a straightforward dude. I like him.  I think you are pretty accurate on Danny Ric. I think he’s a good guy but could probably be annoying, so he would fit in here.

• Like 1

All in all I want more teams being competitive. But I do root for German drivers and can’t root for an Englishman in a German car.  My German relatives and I concur on that point.

i want Alpine to be good. I want Ferrari not to suck. I want McLaren to be like they used to be. And I want Williams to not suck. In the end I will root for Vettel & Schumacher 

All the young drivers are pretty great, really (except Mazepin). Jury is still out on Mick, but he’s doing okay so far.

The grid is super talented right now nearly from top to bottom (only a few exceptions).

We will see some more quick guys in the coming years as well (I rate Piastri really high in F2).

I actually think Stroll has really shown he belongs here as well. Mazepin, to me, is kinda who we all thought Stroll would be.

• Hook 'Em 1

All the young drivers are pretty great, really (except Mazepin). Jury is still out on Mick, but he’s doing okay so far.

The grid is super talented right now nearly from top to bottom (only a few exceptions).

We will see some more quick guys in the coming years as well (I rate Piastri really high in F2).

I actually think Stroll has really shown he belongs here as well. Mazepin, to me, is kinda who we all thought Stroll would be.

You can have a rich daddy, but if you suck you suck. Stroll doesn’t seem like he sucks.

Hard not to pull for Mick.
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 5:35 PM, lateshow said:

team:  Alpine

driver: all the oldies (Alonso, Raikkonen), Ocon, LeClerc.....basically everyone except Mazepin and Verstappen, and dont particularly care for Latifi, Giovinazzi and other backmarkers

• Hook 'Em 1

Firstly, there are 5 compounds to choose from. They call them C1 to C5, hardest to softest. Pirelli decides which 3 to bring to a race weekend depending on the circuit characteristics (abrasive or smooth) and the location temperature/climate. Typically they bring 3 consecutive compounds in order (like this week they have C1, 2, and 3), but sometimes they skip one and may do something like C1, C2, and C4. Regardless, these are always marked with corresponding colors, red is softest tire for the weekend, yellow is medium, white is hardest. They also being intermediate and full wet tires (compounds of these are always the same and do not change) just in case.

Teams get 13 sets of tires for a weekend. Pirelli will specify two sets that must be saved for the race (typically one set each of the two harder compounds), and one set of the softest compound is saved for qualifying.

For the other 10, the teams used to be able to choose what they wanted, but last year and this year Pirelli has made that decision for easier logistics during pandemic times.

So, for example, each car may have something like 8 soft, 3 medium, and 2 hard sets for practice, qualifying, and race.

Teams then give back two (used) sets to Pirelli after FP1, 2 after FP2, and 2 after FP3. Pirelli will study these used tires to see how they wore to help gather data for the future. That leaves 7 sets left for Q and the race (including the three mandatory sets as described above).

So, taking the two mandatory race sets away, teams will typically want to save another new set of tires for the race as well, leaving 4 sets for Q. For the top teams, that usually means using 1 in Q1, 1 in Q2, and 2 in Q3. However, if you make it to Q3, you actually get one more set of soft tires to use (a 14th set). Sometimes teams will make a run on used tires in some of the Q sessions as well, or, if they didn’t get a clean run in, may have to use another one of their new soft sets which means they may no longer have that extra new set for the race (but can still use used tires for it).

So in the end, the teams usually end up with 3 new sets (and 4 used sets) for the race, but they will always have 2 at minimum.

For cars that made it to Q3, they are required to start on the tires that their Q2 time was set with. This is why you see some teams try to use a harder medium compound to make it into Q3 with, since starting the race on a harder tire opens up more strategy options. Everyone else behind the top 10 on the grid can choose whichever tire of the sets they have left to start the race on.

Sorry that was long, but I think I got most of it. There’s some other rules that come in to play when it’s wet, like being able to trade some of your dry sets for intermediate or wet sets, but I don’t remember them exactly.

Thanks.

good to know it is actually confusing as shit and I wasn’t just being dense.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Horner is an unbelievable dick.  To like him, is to not know him at all.

And as stated above, Ricciardo is a huge Austin/Texas/Longhorn fan.  

This was from the early stages of the pandemic, just him messing around at his house in Australia.  Notice the Longhorn and Texas gear.

• Hook 'Em 1