Formula 1 2021

wood

And yay-- it's finally time for Monaco.

I'll go ahead and state my annual reminder that Monaco runs a little different, with P1 and P2 on Thursday, nothing on Friday, and then P3 and qualy on Saturday and the race on Sunday as usual. 

SESSIONS DATE TIME
Free Practice 1   Thu May 20th 04:00 AM
Free Practice 2   Thu May 20th 08:00 AM
Free Practice 3   Sat May 22nd 05:00 AM
Qualifying   Sat May 22nd 08:00 AM
Race   Sun May 23rd 08:00 AM

We're going to be out at COTA starting Thursday morning for the NASCAR race, so to watch it time-delayed we'll have to tether the roku to the phone to watch on the ESPN app.  For the live race on Sunday morning, we'll probably set up the dish.

Edited by utee94

Obviously, the Australian GP will need to know well in advance of the race date. 

Australian Grand Prix boss wants September deadline https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/05/18/australian-grand-prix-bosses-want-september-deadline/

...and then there's this:

Australian PM casts fresh doubt over Melbourne GP https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/05/18/australian-pm-casts-fresh-doubt-over-melbourne-gp/

“I thought the decision they made on Formula 1 previously [to postpone] was a wise one largely because they’re used to operating in countries where covid was already in and Australia we don’t have it to the same extent as other countries, so that is something we want to protect.”

“Australia has avoided 30,000 lives lost when you compare it to the average fatality rate of like countries in the OECD [Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development].

“And so I think that has to be understood. 910 Australians have lost their lives and every single one of those was a terrible tragedy.

“The pandemic is ranging, morphing, every day. On the medical advice we have now it is not safe to take those paths [to open up]. I’m not going to take risks with Australians’ lives. I’m not going to do that.”

I've got to see if I can get some McLaren-Dell-Gulf schwag.  I actually work for one of those three companies. 

But now that we're all working remotely, schwag is a lot harder to come by.  Also, since events have been few and far between, they're just not making as much of it.

But it is now my duty, to make it happen.

This is the first season I've added the practice runs to my watch list.  Those are much more informative and interesting than expected.  The announcers go into a lot of detailed background on the teams and drivers, talk rumors and strategy etc.  I assume they just don't have time to get into that stuff during qualifying and race day.

Anyway you Netflix newbies (like me) ought to check them out, helps flesh out everything going on behind the scenes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

This is the first season I've added the practice runs to my watch list.  Those are much more informative and interesting than expected.  The announcers go into a lot of detailed background on the teams and drivers, talk rumors and strategy etc.  I assume they just don't have time to get into that stuff during qualifying and race day.

Anyway you Netflix newbies (like me) ought to check them out, helps flesh out everything going on behind the scenes.

Yep. I've always been a big FP watcher. Pretty much never miss a session if I can help it. Lots of good info.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Totally, the practices are where you can learn the most behind-the-scenes stuff, since let's be honest-- there's not much else to talk about. :)  Plus they'll talk some expected race strategy for the teams, which you can then see play out during qualy and the race (or not, if things go south).

The Sky Sports pre-show that's before FP1  is also very informative, and then post-race wrapup is worthwhile as well.  

Edited by utee94

6 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Agree. I don’t usually watch FP3 unless it’s at a normal time, but I watch every minute of FP1 and 2.

If I'm really short on time and/or want to make sure I watch the race live instead of time-delayed, then I might skip FP1 (because they'll hit the high points in FP2) and I'll skip FP3 (because they'll recap anything big during qualy).  But normally, I'm watching ALL of those time-delayed, so I just put them on whenever, while I'm doing the dishes or folding laundry or whatever.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

And Natalie Pinkham’s voice is sexy. 

• Drool 1

I would like to once again register my disgust and frustration that Monaco, the Indy 500, and the Coca Cola 600 are not on the same day this year. 
Whose fault is this? I need to know who to send shitty tweets to this weekend. 

Blame wood

Jk. Finally started watching free practice tonight. Love the mclaren

P3, and Ferrari still looking good. 

The German cousin drove to St Tropez yesterday.  It’s our normal vacation, but not normal because I am not there due to the Kung Flu. One year, after the race, a bunch of the drivers were at a beach bar just down from where we stay. Some of the kids in our group went down but, not me. I don’t really care about them if they are not in the cars.

I'm mildly concerned about my boy Danny Ric.  I'm hoping he just needs time to adjust to his new car.  He had this to say post Q:

“It’s more confusing than frustrating at the moment, that’s the emotion I'm feeling. There were some laps that, for sure, were a bit messy which explained maybe a couple of tenths. Since Thursday we’ve made some progress and this was continuing throughout qualifying with each run. I had to stop at the scales towards the end of Q2, so we didn’t have the tyres as we wanted which put us on the back foot a little bit for the final run.

“Usually, you can feel when you’re a bit off the pace, but I haven’t had that, and I don’t feel like I've forgotten how to drive this track. I’m still getting up to speed with the driving style needed to get the maximum out of this car, and maybe that’s amplified here in Monaco. But, we know what we need to work on and we’ll keep pushing for the race tomorrow.”

I don't recall anything said about this scales issue on the coverage, so I did some googling and came across Vettel's hissy fit in Brazil.  You F1 vets know all this shit, but the weighbridge was a new thing for me.