Formula 1 2021

wood

Yeah, once they didn’t pit first for the second stop, they were forced to go long on the one stop.

Kind of ironically, the vibration issues Bottas had from locking up caused him to pit first on the first stop, causing Max to cover him off and then subsequently undercut Lewis.

At the same time, Perez being able to be right there is going to throw a lot of wrenches in the spokes for Mercedes.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

That's certainly possible as well, but good luck with that.  Max was the fastest car all weekend and he was on fresher tires.  Nobody was going to slow him down.  He went straight around Lewis as well.

Great Video of Max/Hamilton qualifying side by side. The merc was right there in the first segment but is dusted when things straighten out. Wish they did more of these each week with more drivers. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Great Video of Max/Hamilton qualifying side by side. The merc was right there in the first segment but is dusted when things straighten out. Wish they did more of these each week with more drivers. 

That's really cool.  They've got Max's setup on point.  Just unreal how much better he is than everyone else right now.

Also, WTF is happening to Ferrari right now?  They looked like dogshit yesterday.  I've read that their cars are really hard on tires?  Is that it, or is there more to it?  Feels like there has to be more.  

Love seeing Danny and Lando do well yesterday.  Hope Danny has figured out that car finally.

There wasn't much Bottas could do to slow down Max, but using him to potentially delay Max was their only chance.

7 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah, once they didn’t pit first for the second stop, they were forced to go long on the one stop.

Kind of ironically, the vibration issues Bottas had from locking up caused him to pit first on the first stop, causing Max to cover him off and then subsequently undercut Lewis.

At the same time, Perez being able to be right there is going to throw a lot of wrenches in the spokes for Mercedes.

Yeah a very good #2 like Checo has been what RBR has needed since RIC left. Their stubborn insistence on pulling drivers only from their YDP was stupid.

4 hours ago, faps said:

Awesome video, would love to see more of those too. Gotta give Honda tons of credit for the motor this year. Too bad they saw fit to pull out right when they might have a championship winning package.

Again.

And too bad they waited so long to let the adult Honda engineers get serious about developing a proper PU.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

That's a huge point in all of this. During this whole run Mercedes hasn't had to deal with two cars coming at them.

I wonder if there has been much of a change in the way they are going about the second car, especially now that we see Gasly running very well.

That's a huge point in all of this. During this whole run Mercedes hasn't had to deal with two cars coming at them.
I wonder if there has been much of a change in the way they are going about the second car, especially now that we see Gasly running very well.

I think that they should put their eggs in the Lewis basket here pretty soon. The WCC is starting to become out of reach, but they have a shot at the WDC if they go all-in on Lewis, I think.

However, this is really all dependent on if they bring any damn upgrades. They have only brought a few very small things, with the last being in Imola. There are rumors they may have some stuff in Austria, but if not, hell, I don’t know how they expected to win this year.

42 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I think that they should put their eggs in the Lewis basket here pretty soon. The WCC is starting to become out of reach, but they have a shot at the WDC if they go all-in on Lewis, I think.

However, this is really all dependent on if they bring any damn upgrades. They have only brought a few very small things, with the last being in Imola. There are rumors they may have some stuff in Austria, but if not, hell, I don’t know how they expected to win this year.

All it takes is one bad race by Red Bull and Mercedes is back in it. This shit is gonna go down to the wire.

Pardon My Take podcast had a couple of fun interviews with Horner (about a month ago) and Ricciardo (last week) for anyone who is interested. The hosts fully admit that they know nothing about the sport, so the interviews are short on detailed analysis, but are fun insights into both guys.

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Also, this is a cool comparison video. Like a ghost in racing games.

That's really cool.  It clearly illustrates exactly what Max was talking about before the race, regarding their choices vs. Mercedes' decisions on the downforce for the race.  Max admitted they were going to sacrifice the turn entries to Merc, and focus on the turn exits.  And you see it obviously play out in the video.  So cool!

AD finally fixing their track. Likely a massive improvement. It's amazing to me that they didn't do the hairpin this way in the first place. That chicane there always killed overtaking at what should have been a great spot for it.

racefansdotnet-yas-marina-changes-2048x1

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Mind the horrible Nord VPN ad thing at the beginning (skip ahead to 1:24), but this is the best that I have ever seen the undercut/overcut visualized.

Also explains what I was saying yesterday really well.

this is excellent, thank you!

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The Race does them.

Just disregard anything Edd Straw says. Reading/listening to Edd Straw is worse than a waste of time. You'll actually come away less informed about F1 than you were going in. Dumber than a box of rocks.

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for F1 podcasts? I listened to the latest episode of F1 Nation and thought it was pretty good. 

I just got into F1 a little over a month ago so I can't really speak to their credibility but I have been listening to 3 Legs 4 Wheels and WTF1 and I've really been enjoying both of those.  

11 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for F1 podcasts? I listened to the latest episode of F1 Nation and thought it was pretty good. 

I only listen to one, but Missed Apex is really good. They have tow mainstays and then have tow other rotating panel members. It’s a good mix of informative and funny and they have some good guests, like former Lotus team principal Matthew Carter. 

7 hours ago, wood said:

OBTW ... Moto GP Japan moved to COTA.

Yeah it's signed for the first weekend of October (which is also 1st ACL weekend).  Rumors that MotoGP is also considering a second date at COTA, similar to what F1 is rumored to be looking at.

I suspect that's why MotoGP went ahead and locked down at least one date right now-- weekends in October at COTA could get booked up.

Great day by Norris. His qualifying has been outstanding all year. 

it was nice to see the tire difference actually play out on a Saturday. Good mix of medium and softs in the top ten. 

George sitting pretty for points tomorrow. 11th and can start on new mediums with zero laps if he chooses to do so, or he will spin on the formation lap. 

Seems like no one lists the starting tires anywhere when looking up the starting grid online. Best I can tell it’s 

Max - M
Perez - S
Ham - M
Bot - M
Nor - S
Gas - S
Lec - S
Yuk- S
Alo- S
Str- S

11-15 could go M/H as a counter strategy?

Edited by ChickenSandwich