Formula 1 2021

wood

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Laughable that RBR is crying for Hamilton to be suspended considering how Max drives, do we want these race car drivers to actually race each other or just parade around the track?

This is basically lebron bulldozing into people in the lane and then crying for fouls

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

This is basically lebron bulldozing into people in the lane and then crying for fouls

More like LeBron James getting knocked over as Shaquille O'Neal shoves him out of the paint with his giant ass, knocking him out of the game, and then LeBron asking for a foul.

I have no sympathy for either.  

Obviously though I hope Max is not injured.  I guess I have that much sympathy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

This is a definite HOLY SHIT view. Can’t image being peppered by all the pebbles and dirt was very pleasant.

Thanks for this, holy shit!

I see it as a racing incident, two alphas going into that corner. Someone was always gonna lose out. Max would've punted Lewis no question if the roles were reversed.

Schumacher, Mansell, Senna, all those old greats with bowling ball testes would've done the same.

Glad Max is ok.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Looks like RB might dodge a bullet if Honda can salvage Max's power unit. Otherwise... he's using his final allocation for Hungary and will probably have to take a 4th and the accompanying grid penalty at some point late in the season.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-says-verstappens-f1-engine-could-be-saved-/6633616/

1 hour ago, faps said:

Schumacher, Mansell, Senna, all those old greats with bowling ball testes would've done the same.

Glad Max is ok.

One of the first things I thought of yesterday... 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2

First,  glad max is OK. Second, fuck max. Roles reversed he does the same thing 100 times out of 100.  

If it were Lando or leclerc or Ricardo the bitching would be minimal. I get the hamilton hate, but max had plenty of room to bail and cut the apex. Plenty of room to argue whether he should have to and I get both sides. 

I dont want to see anyone going into the wall like that (well, except maybe mazepin) but I also want to see fucking racing. Max clearly has the best car and is equal to or better than Hamilton in skill. 

Hopefully red bull can save the engine because a late season grid penalty would suck. If max wins the title great. He deserves it. If Lewis wins again because max has to serve a grid penalty in saudi arabia or Abu dabi (or both) then that is definitely hollow. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I am no team Max or Lewis guy.  It is fun watching these two race and that is what they were doing when the wreck happened.  I get people saying enough wasn't done regarding Hamilton's penalty though.  Both these guys are THE apex predators on the track and as others have said, they were bound to have something like this happen.

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Jolyon Palmer always has solid analysis. This was a good one. Gives good insight into what drivers are probably thinking at certain times. I had also forgotten about that Grojean/Sainz incident in 2018.

That's a good breakdown. Max clearly dives down knowing Lewis is trying to go inside going flat out and lewis has to back off the throttle because he's missed the apex a bit. Helluva move by Lewis to fake going high then dive low. 

Everyone is going to see it through their own lens but I don't know how anyone can say max isn't part of the problem here. That's two mofos racing. Sometimes shit happens. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

Who doesn't like a system where you can wreck your no. 1 competitor, fix your car during the red flag, serve a slap on the wrist penalty and then still win the race while making up 14 points in the championship standings?

Nvm

Edited by Burt Macklin

5 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Jolyon Palmer always has solid analysis. This was a good one. Gives good insight into what drivers are probably thinking at certain times. I had also forgotten about that Grojean/Sainz incident in 2018.

Great video. Watching this and reading/watching all the other material, begrudgingly I’m 60-40 Max’s fault. 

Max’s in car camera is the main reason. The check up in his turn and then the harder turn in after he clearly saw Lewis’s front wing at least even with the front tire (before the breaking zone for the corner). Lewis got him and had the inside line and enough position. 

I think Max was trying to do the same move he made three corners prior where he nearly clipped Hamilton’s front wing snapping in front of Lewis after completing the turn. (And Lewis backed off)

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I am no team Max or Lewis guy.  It is fun watching these two race and that is what they were doing when the wreck happened.  I get people saying enough wasn't done regarding Hamilton's penalty though.  Both these guys are THE apex predators on the track and as others have said, they were bound to have something like this happen.

Yep, I feel the same way.  Not a fan of either driver (although I like both of them) but that was fun shit right up until the wreck happened.  And Max absolutely would have done the same.  I want to see more driving like that, and I think we're going to for the rest of the season.

I'm sure Lewis was fine with the outcome, but nobody's going to want contact at that speed even if you have the chance to put your competition out of the race.  That's just dumb to say that.  And if Max didn't want contact, he could have easily avoided it.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I like hard racing but F1 won’t ever be  “if you’re not rubbin, you’re not racing”. First, it’s more dangerous. Secondly, it’s really expensive when you crash these cars. It will cost Red Bull almost a million dollars to fix Max’s car. 

Edited by TonyTexas

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I like hard racing but F1 won’t ever be  “if you’re not rubbin, you’re not racing”. First, it’s more dangerous. Secondly, it’s really expensive when you crash these cars. It will cost Red Bull almost a million dollars to fix Max’s car. 

Yeah, I’m not sure your math checks out there Lou……

it’s gonna be significantly more than that. Even more if he has to use a new PU.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, UnivTex34 said:

Yeah, I’m not sure your math checks out there Lou……

it’s gonna be significantly more than that. Even more if he has to use a new PU.

Speaking to German RTL, Marko let it be known that there is little left of the RB16B after the hard impact into the tyre piles of the Silverstone circuit. "The car is total loss," said Marko, who also revealed that the cost of repairs is currently estimated at €750,000. "It's a significant amount that hurts us, especially in times of budgetary constraints."

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

And it's carbon fiber,  not steel that you can bang out. They don't want contact but it's still fun to see guys playing with inches at 180 mph. Max is vettel 2.0. Lewis has seen this before and said fuck it and went for it. 

Now that it is confirmed, how big of hit to the cap are crashes like Max’s?

As said above, it can easily cost a million just to construct all the parts to put a car together.

They of course have spares of everything, but they still have to now spend more time and money to replace those. Something like a monocoque takes a TON of labor hours to layup carbon for (though it’s possible they may not make a new one if they feel that they have enough current extras, since most teams are carrying over monocoques from last year because of the token system). Outside of the straight cash cost, all labor time they spend doing those things they can’t use doing other things or building improved parts.

All of that said, the actual biggest issue would be if the power unit is not still usable. That would cause them to have to take an engine penalty later. But, we will see.

31 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

As said above, it can easily cost a million just to construct all the parts to put a car together.

They of course have spares of everything, but they still have to now spend more time and money to replace those. Something like a monocoque takes a TON of labor hours to layup carbon for (though it’s possible they may not make a new one if they feel that they have enough current extras, since most teams are carrying over monocoques from last year because of the token system). Outside of the straight cash cost, all labor time they spend doing those things they can’t use doing other things or building improved parts.

All of that said, the actual biggest issue would be if the power unit is not still usable. That would cause them to have to take an engine penalty later. But, we will see.

Damn, they really don’t have a ton of wiggle room then for crashes like this that cause a substantial amount of money to be allocated to repairs instead of improving other parts. 

The cap is brand new and I’m sure they will review how crashes etc work with the cost caps. They seem to be flexible on all of their experiments and proposed changes.  They could have teams sacrifice wind tunnel time for going over the cap etc. For now, I believe any team exceeding the cap will have that amount deducted from the next seasons cap. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.formula1.com/en/latest/article.how-f1s-new-sliding-scale-aero-testing-rules-work-and-what-impact-they-will.pn0sG8N4A0cjbNRbdYx8a.html

for the very first time, each team’s allowance of wind tunnel and CFD testing time will be defined by on-track performance.

It’ll be based on the championship position at the end of the previous season and then reset on June 30 each year to reflect the current state of play.

There is a balance point somewhere between teams rightly getting penalized because their driver is shitty and wrecks all the time like Mazepin and hurting a team in the championship race that they will need to find.  Maybe they raise the damages cap or come up with a fault system on wrecks which would probably end up being a nightmare.  Someone getting wrecked or caught up in a crash they did nothing to cause shouldn't get penalized in terms of the cost cap though.

Edited by kevwun

16 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Then maybe next time Max can back out of it instead of initiating contact.

• Like 2