Formula 1 2021

wood

Sochi just got a hell of a lot more entertaining! We might get to see the new Ferrari PU and possibly have both Charles and Max fighting through the pack the entire race. that would be (Super) Maximum entertainment. Hell, maybe Lewis has a bad quali and he takes his penalty too. That would be borderline erotic IMO. 

Edit: sounds like they rushed the new PU ahead of schedule bc Leclerc lost PU 2 at Hungary and his PU 3 was having issues at Monza. Carlos will take the new PU at Turkey as originally scheduled. 

The smart thing to do would be to run the old PU through quali since it might be raining and Leclerc could possibly have a very high finish, but who knows if Ferrari will do that. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sochi just got a hell of a lot more entertaining! We might get to see the new Ferrari PU and possibly have both Charles and Max fighting through the pack the entire race. that would be (Super) Maximum entertainment. Hell, maybe Lewis has a bad quali and he takes his penalty too. That would be borderline erotic IMO. 

Edit: sounds like they rushed the new PU ahead of schedule bc Leclerc lost PU 2 at Hungary and his PU 3 was having issues at Monza. Carlos will take the new PU at Turkey as originally scheduled. 

The smart thing to do would be to run the old PU through quali since it might be raining and Leclerc could possibly have a very high finish, but who knows if Ferrari will do that. 

Will Ferrari be forced to supply the new engine spec to its engine customers this season?  

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Will Ferrari be forced to supply the new engine spec to its engine customers this season?  

Not necessarily, because their customers have likely already used 3 engines for the season, so the customer would have to decide to take the penalty first. Alfa might, but they don’t have the most funds. I’m sure Haas won’t unless Ferrari give it to them for free to get more data on the engines. 

2 hours ago, wood said:

W Series season to conclude with Austin double-header https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/09/23/w-series-season-to-conclude-with-austin-double-header/ 

I guess their 2nd race will replace the cancelled F3 race.

So we know F3 is out, and F4 and W series are in-- are there any other support series that are expected to be there?

21 minutes ago, utee94 said:

So we know F3 is out, and F4 and W series are in-- are there any other support series that are expected to be there?

Not that I know of, and COTA's website does not address support series at all that I can find. Twitter, too. No schedule of events, no nothing. Just "Buy tickets" buttons.

3 minutes ago, wood said:

Not that I know of, and COTA's website does not address support series at all that I can find. Twitter, too. No schedule of events, no nothing. Just "Buy tickets" buttons.

Yeah same thing I was seeing.

They don't seem ever to get the F1 weekend schedule on the website until maybe 2 weeks beforehand.

ESPN’s coverage has been good and has helped expose F1 to the US audience, but I do wish they’d stick with the post-race coverage instead of immediately cutting to SportsCenter. If I wanted to watch SportsCenter, I’d be watching it on whichever other channel is broadcasting it. I’m watching F1 because I want to watch F1 coverage. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

On 9/19/2021 at 7:09 AM, ConferenceRoom said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/michael-schumacher-went-piste-high-speed-french-prosecutors-confirm-9045840.html

You’re right. I thought I remembered the initial reports saying off piste without a helmet but et voila.

I believe they said he would have died without a helmet

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

ESPN’s coverage has been good and has helped expose F1 to the US audience, but I do wish they’d stick with the post-race coverage instead of immediately cutting to SportsCenter. If I wanted to watch SportsCenter, I’d be watching it on whichever other channel is broadcasting it. I’m watching F1 because I want to watch F1 coverage. 

If you use the ESPN app, you can stream the entire post race show. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I have no doubt Netflix can acquire it if they want it. I just have doubts that they really want it. The way I've been seeing it framed is that they'd be buying the F1 Commercial Rights, not buying just the Broadcast Rights. But who knows...

Edited by wood

thems fighting words:

Lewis Hamilton has decided not to back out of on-track battles when he believes he has a right to the corner, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff says.

Wolff said it followed discussions over the aggressive approach to racing of title rival Max Verstappen of Red Bull.

"The change in approach is that Lewis pretty much decided not to bail out any more when he thinks the corner is his," Wolff said.

"Now it needs two to understand when a collision can be avoided."

thems fighting words:

7d67fd41-5546-4a9a-a106-e2f2f0f47413.jpg Andrew Benson
BBC Sport’s chief F1 writer
Lewis Hamilton has decided not to back out of on-track battles when he believes he has a right to the corner, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff says.
Wolff said it followed discussions over the aggressive approach to racing of title rival Max Verstappen of Red Bull.
"The change in approach is that Lewis pretty much decided not to bail out any more when he thinks the corner is his," Wolff said.

Nice. These two can keep knocking each other out an Lando wins!

Does anyone know when tickets will be delivered for the USGP? I know they are digital, but do not know when we get them.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

thems fighting words:

Horner saying they're going to run into each other again.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.they-cant-race-with-velvet-gloves-on-horner-and-wolff-wont-rule-out-more.1MSQqiy3p2abG2b8PveyHm.html

“If both wanted to avoid collisions, we would have less collisions. If they don't avoid collisions because they feel it's right to not bail out, or not give room, then we will have more.”

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Makes sense from RBR/Max's standpoint. Charleclair will also be starting at the back with a new engine; should be interesting with both fighting like hell to get through the field.

Edited by Dutch

22 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Our dream scenario fo Charles and Max fighting from the back is fulfilled. I’m looking for a Hakkinen-style double overtake circa Spa 2000. 

I believe Charles will be P19 because he had the new engine in for FP1. 

Edit: not sure if P19 is based on who takes penalty first or who does better in qualifying. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'm very far behind on my bathroom reading (unintended consequence of #BidetLife) but I just finished reading this interview and found it too good not to share. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/amp34329787/lewis-hamilton-blm-activism-interview/

I was never a huge fan of Lewis in the past due to some of his antics and general butthurtedness ("oversensitive about nonsense" would be the best way to put it, though to be clear I do not group his activism with this), but I'm regularly and continually finding myself more impressed with the man he's growing into. 

While I'm still a little tired of the Mercedes dominance, the emerging "self confident Lewis" and the fact that his main rival is currently much the same kind of brat as Lewis used to be is drawing me closer to becoming a true fan of his. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

i thought netflix documentary used this clip to show hakkinen scolding schumacher for having intentionally tapping him during a race

They may have, but that picture is definitely from them discussing the pass from the 2000 Belgian GP. Poor Zonta wasn't allowed to be in their chat.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Our dream scenario fo Charles and Max fighting from the back is fulfilled. I’m looking for a Hakkinen-style double overtake circa Spa 2000. 

I believe Charles will be P19 because he had the new engine in for FP1. 

Edit: not sure if P19 is based on who takes penalty first or who does better in qualifying. 

IIRC it's who takes the penalty first.

1 hour ago, faps said:

I always loved this picture of Mika explaining that move to Michael.

wrktk43yhy031.jpg.d9e43e628e3ef55b7f3a81e57eb8c768.jpg

Whenever I see that pic I always think of this pic I shot of Mario Andretti and Derek Bell in the COTA Paddock in 2013, and the reverse. It also reminds me of the way fighter pilots describe their moves...

15606033595_b823c0790b_o.jpg

Edited by wood
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, wood said:

Whenever I see that pic I always think of this pic I shot of Mario Andretti and Derek Bell in the COTA Paddock in 2013, and the reverse. It also reminds me of the way fighter pilots describe their moves...

15606033595_b823c0790b_o.jpg

I get a kick out of how Mario's hair makes it look like he's always traveling at speed, even when stationary. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

So that would make Charles P19 and Max P20. It would also means Max’s first overtake would likely be on Mazespin.

Can you imagine the internet if Mazespin takes out Max with a late move in Lap 1? 😂

Fuck...they will both be past mazepin before turn 2. Unless that idiot takes out the back of the grid from ineptitude. 

1 minute ago, pops said:

Fuck...they will both be past mazepin before turn 2. Unless that idiot takes out the back of the grid from ineptitude. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s a big fan of late blocking on straights, which he’s done multiple times to Schmaucher. I could see Mazespin causing a crash before they even get to T1. 

So the "Haas Maz Maneuver," taking out the back of field, would be the opposite of the "Mercedes Bottas Maneuver" then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

thems fighting words:

7d67fd41-5546-4a9a-a106-e2f2f0f47413.jpg Andrew Benson
BBC Sport’s chief F1 writer

Lewis either had to do this, or he had to give up the championship. He's just saying he will race the way Max does going forward.
  • Hook 'Em 1