Formula 1 2021

wood

Great race. 

Wish Lando could have caught Bottas. George. So close. 

And Kudos to Ferrari and Carlos for going with the hard tire to start the race. Bad luck for Daniel the race didn’t end one lap sooner, but still a great day for him.  

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Great race. 

Wish Lando could have caught Bottas. George. So close. 

And Kudos to Ferrari and Carlos for going with the hard tire to start the race. Bad luck for Daniel the race didn’t end one lap sooner, but still a great day for him.  

Indeed! Danny did all he could do defending the Ferraris there at the end but there was nothing he could do against Carlos. Really hope he figures out day 2 next race because he’s done pretty good making up ground here recently on day 3. 

The Norris & Perez penalties seemed way harsh. I’m still rather new to F1 (got hooked in ‘19), but those all looked like hard racing. What say you vets?

Danny needs to figure out Saturdays. That car has serious pace, and he can drive it on Sunday. Also a nice bit of respect from Lewis to Lando. 

Edited by Dutch

The Norris & Perez penalties seemed way harsh. I’m still rather new to F1 (got hooked in ‘19), but those all looked like hard racing. What say you vets?
Danny needs to figure out Saturdays. That car has serious pace, and he can drive it on Sunday. Also a nice bit of respect from Lewis to Lando. 

Hell, it all started with the penalty lewis got for the same thing when Albon tried to pass there last year. IMO that one was harsh too, but they called these the same. The Norris one was really nothing, though. Perez I agree with if they are calling it that way.

Is the RB Ring that much of a home field advantage or do these races (and the good results in earlier ones) signify the end of Merc dominance?

My wife won’t really watch since she thinks Hamilton is the Alabama of F1 racing and loves it when he loses but wants him to be a back marker as opposed to just not winning.

Sad for Williams not finishing in the points but I do like Alonzo.

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

This is great

Really hard not to like that kid. His “I’d like to thank all the orange folks in orange coming out to support McLaren” was awesome.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Dutch said:

I say the two times Pérez ran Leclerc off the track were fucking awesome.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:31 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Even Horner said it was just a racing incident 

On 7/4/2021 at 9:00 AM, RPM said:

Annnd confirmed. Do not pass.

23 hours ago, Dutch said:

It's consistent, but it's complete bullshit. Masi continues to demonstrate week after week that he doesn't understand racing in general or the physics of racing. When someone attacks on the outside like that, the inside driver is already committed to a line and a braking point. It's always been understood that if you're going to try the outside, you'd better be ready to back out unless the inside guy just brakes early and concedes the position to you (a la when Alonso tried the outside on Russell, realized it wasn't there, & backed out of it). They're effectively telling the inside driver that if a car tries the outside, they have to just concede.

18 hours ago, Austinvines said:

Sad for Williams not finishing in the points but I do like Alonzo.

Yep, sad for Williams, but Alpine & Alonso also got screwed massively in Qualifying. He started P14 when he was very likely looking at P7 or better had he not been blocked. Russell likely would not have been in the points for as long as he was yesterday had that not happened.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Nice gesture by Fernando!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 9:10 AM, RPM said:

Is the XII calling this?

On 7/4/2021 at 9:10 AM, TommyGufano said:

Tsunoda. Lolz

Yeah "Hey, let's penalize TSU for going a cm over the pit line the same amount as we penalized these other guys for running people off". Followed by  "Anyone seen this week's version of my re-definition of track limits?"

On 7/4/2021 at 9:11 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

LeClerc might be drunk

Yeah. he might be.

• Like 1

LeClerc was crazy, I really have no idea what he was doing.

Fred had a good drive, Danny Ric had a really good drive, Lando had a great drive.  Really easy to root for him.

McLaren is figuring something out and Lando and Ricciardo look quite capable of taking advantage.

So what is the deal with Australia? I haven't kept up too much with their Covid situation. Are they just very stringent in their covid response? European races have been pretty packed as of late.

Also, I flew out of ABIA on Thursday. So here's another COTA aerial.

PXL_20210701_212106790.jpg

2 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I've already got my tickets for the original week.  You think it'd be overkill to go for two weeks?

I think it might kill me.

I'm not sure how they could fit two weeks in to Austin, now that the Turkish GP will be on 10/3 and they're doing Suzuka on on 10/10.  I don't think they could realistically make it from Japan to the US in one week, for a 10/17 race, so if they wanted to do them back-to-back they'd have to do them on 10/24 and 10/31, and push Mexico back a week.  I just don't know how well that would go over.

I suppose they could do Austin-Mexico-Austin but that seems difficult to justify to the teams.

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, faps said:

So what is the deal with Australia? I haven't kept up too much with their Covid situation. Are they just very stringent in their covid response? European races have been pretty packed as of late.

PXL_20210701_212106790.jpg

They are way behind on vaccinations.  

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

I think it might kill me.

I'm not sure how they could fit two weeks in to Austin, now that the Turkish GP will be on 10/3 and they're doing Suzuka on on 10/10.  I don't think they could realistically make it from Japan to the US in one week, for a 10/17 race, so if they wanted to do them back-to-back they'd have to do them on 10/24 and 10/31, and push Mexico back a week.  I just don't know how well that would go over.

I suppose they could do Austin-Mexico-Austin but that seems difficult to justify to the teams.

Yeah the way I go, go, go on just one GP Weekend, I'm pretty fucking wiped out.  It's certainly possible that 2 would kill me. BTW there was an Autoweek article that said a second COTA race was rejected by F1, fwiw. 

And pushing Mexico back a week would not go over at all. That's the weekend they want - last Sunday before Dia de Muertos. Pretty sure they even have it in their contract.

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

They are way behind on vaccinations.  

Yep, and they've stayed relatively covid-free by strictly limiting who can come into the country, even forcing their own citizens to apply for re-entry, wait to return, then quarantine.

20 minutes ago, elguapo said:

This is really cool

That’s amazing. It’s also crazy to think Max still beat Lando after giving him a tow and it looks like Max missed the apex a bit on turn 3. 

Speaking of turn 3, it was crazy to see how tight the Ferrari’s could go in turn 3 and still have speed out of the corner. A couple of Charles’ moves in that spot were wild. His entry and exit out of there that led to his initial pass of Perez was amazing. 

PXL_20210701_212106790.thumb.jpg.86bca01915f98a0300c4dd135fc1ee66.jpg

I remember it being more stripey, but I haven’t seen that view in years.