Formula 1 2021

wood

Definitely not a procession. Sucks for Sainz. He probably could’ve gotten 6th or 7th if Russell didn’t hit him. It looked like the Ferrari’s have better pace than McLaren. Norris was losing a good bit of time to Leclerc each lap even once he got into free air.

The driver’s championship is looking more and more over, but the constructor’s might still be a battle. I think Perez will struggle to get better than 8th. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Flames shooting out of Max’s brakes and then he blows by Lewis. Alonso shooting up to 4th on lap 1, Perez spinning out. That was fun!  

Edited by Dutch
“Spell his name right, you flippin’ newb!”
  • Hook 'Em 3

Max got his shit up to temperature better/more aggressively than the other dudes at the front of the grid. For example, during one of the replays of the start, it looked to me like Alonso didn't even scrub the stickers off of his tires during the formation lap. And because the brakes are designed to be air-cooled at speed, they don't cool very well while stationary. Finally, because he was at the front of the grid and not the rear, he had to stand still for a relatively longer time while the rest of the grid formed up behind him. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

So it's like an F1 version of a power brake launch in a street car?  He was just too heavy/early on the throttle or does that happen a lot?

intentional.  well, not setting it aflame, but to put more heat into the rotor which in turns heats up the tire, and provides more grip at the start of the race (where normally they would have grip deficit).  driver probably adjusted the brake balance to favor the front in the staging lap. 

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Haven't been able to watch religiously as much this season, so I'm a little out of the loop about why this new Calvinball qualifying format was adopted for a few races, but that all made for a fun morning of TV. 

more viewership on friday where there is Q, and more viewership on saturday with the mini race.  they also pushed the friday session late in the afternoon for same reason - to get eyeballs when europe comes home from work.

• Hook 'Em 1

broken record played here, but this is why im looking forward to the aero simplification next year.

in the race to eke out every cm of aerodynamic advantage theres random flaps and blades at every surface of the car, and at some point aesthetically it stops being a car and is just a scientific prototype.  this predator cheesegrater thing is hideous

image.png

image.png

There's a WRX in my area that has all kinds of dive planes and canards and whiskers and flaps and slats and "aero" JDM Pep Boys (Peppubōizu?) shit all over it. I have yet to see it parked, but when I do, I plan to take 20-30 pictures of it - taking a photo while in motion won't do it justice. 

Anyway, that's what all of the aero shit on F1 cars reminds me of, except for the fact that the F1 shit is undoubtedly functional. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Overall, the sprint race was entertaining and I enjoyed it, but the main thing I didn’t like about it is it gives away a lot of the teams’ pace for the full GP, so I’m finding myself less excited for the race tomorrow. 

I guess we’ll see if that holds true, but it seems like Merc will struggle to challenge Max unless Lewis can eke out a one stop, and if today is any indication, then Lando and Danny will really struggle to keep up and challenge Charles. 

Overall, the sprint race was entertaining and I enjoyed it, but the main thing I didn’t like about it is it gives away a lot of the teams’ pace for the full GP, so I’m finding myself less excited for the race tomorrow. 

I guess we’ll see if that holds true, but it seems like Merc will struggle to challenge Max unless Lewis can eke out a one stop, and if today is any indication, then Lando and Danny will really struggle to keep up and challenge Charles. 

Yeah, the reason I don’t like it is that it renders actual qualifying much less important, which makes me a bit sad, because I really enjoy the current qualifying format.

I think that qualifying and racing should be two separate things, as they have always been. They are two different skill sets. Some cars might otherwise start higher or lower on the grid than they probably should because of qualifying. The sprint race negates a lot of that.

If they did say FP1 and a sprint race on Friday, FP2 and regular qualifying on Saturday, and the normal race on Sunday, I could deal with it, though I still prefer the weekend format as is. I just really don’t want the sprint race tied to any kind of qualifying order.

Like you said, a lot of the questions we would traditionally have pre-race might now be gone. Teams pretty much know that a 2 stop is likely necessary already. Even with the free tire choice, I think it will remove tire parity, because teams don’t have to worry about what they use in Q2 whatsoever anymore.
  • Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Saw someone on Reddit describe it as like a mini GP on cocaine, with the first 8 laps being pretty intense and after that it was normal. I thought it was fun but I don’t know how it will hold up in the long run. Teams could be bolder tomorrow with the knowledge they gained from today or it could go like you said, which seems more likely. 

11 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Max got his shit up to temperature better/more aggressively than the other dudes at the front of the grid. For example, during one of the replays of the start, it looked to me like Alonso didn't even scrub the stickers off of his tires during the formation lap. And because the brakes are designed to be air-cooled at speed, they don't cool very well while stationary. Finally, because he was at the front of the grid and not the rear, he had to stand still for a relatively longer time while the rest of the grid formed up behind him. 

I think all that brake heat is what caused the blistering on this front tires. He's lucky he didn't melt all his brake ducts when the thing caught fire.

So I get home from work, make a drink and turn on ESPN... I turn on ESPN... FUCK! My sat is out again. 3rd time this month. DirecTV sucks ass. My internet is too slow to stream on FireTV. Grrrr. Guess I'll watch the SRX race I recorded last night before the sat died.

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

So I get home from work, make a drink and turn on ESPN... I turn on ESPN... FUCK! My sat is out again. 3rd time this month. DirecTV sucks ass. My internet is too slow to stream on FireTV. Grrrr. Guess I'll watch the SRX race I recorded last night before the sat died.

spoiler alert:  mazepin spins and crashes out holding up a lapping car.  everyone else holds constant order, except bottas who loses a place due to poor pitstop.  raikkonen makes it through the race on 1 set of tires.

Lewis better get a stop go. That was bullshit and even if unintentional, Lewis shouldn’t get to benefit form that.

I’m also not convinced it was unintentional. Lewis knows if he misses the apex, Max has to back out or gets clipped. Win win for Lewis. Have to punish that kind of behavior. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2