Formula 1 2021

wood

6 hours ago, NoName said:

if you are listening to the ticket for sports talk you are doing it wrong.

that said, fuck corby.

I've never listened to any Dallas sports talk. I heard enough about the Ticket to know it would be worse than a waste of time.

Some good insight here from Budkowski re: the true nature of the car Alpine just won with. I think maybe I said earlier that they're using a 2020 engine. It's actually the 2019 engine, chassis, and gearbox.

“We don’t have a race-winning car on a normal race weekend. And that’s our objective, is to build one. So we want to taste that champagne in every race, and not once when we get a little bit of favourable circumstances. So super important for the team, don’t get me wrong. The objective is to do that by building a quick car.”
“We all have our competitive analysis,” Budkowski noted. “And we have a fairly good idea of where we stack in terms of both power, but also in terms of energy management, and weight and packaging and things like this.
“It’s the same engine we’re using for the third consecutive year, with very, very small changes in 2020 and 2021. It’s a ’19 engine we’re using. And some of our competitors made gains that we haven’t. And to be honest, it’s also the same chassis and the same gearbox as well. So the mechanical base of the car is the same for three years now.
“The choice was driven by the fact that we were planning to introduce all new engine in 2021, together with the new chassis regulations. Chassis regulations have been delayed, we have also delayed the introduction of that new engine to 2022. Because unfortunately, with the factory closures and the working from home requirements we had last year, we were just unable to deliver it for 2021.
“So we’re in a slightly not ideal situation where we had to delay our new power unit, which beyond improvements to propulsive power and energy management, the kind of usual things that make you go quicker on a straight line, has also a new architecture and changes that are designed to address some of our weaknesses compared to our competitors.
“But we didn’t have the resources to re-launch a development programme on this year’s engine, and continue to work on the 2022. So we’ve decided to put all our efforts on ’22. So it’s a strategic decision. I believe it’s the right one. But it’s painful, because as a result this year we lost ground compared to our competitors.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/alpine-boss-explains-how-ocon-regained-his-mojo-with-an-f1-win-as-proof

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

i don't know...i try not to be too cynical on these things, but mercedes's seemingly purposeful recklessness continuing to impact red bull in particular after verstappen took over the top spot is just a bridge too far for me.  between silverstone and hungary, they need to get hammered imo.

i may be overreacting, not sure.  i have no rooting interest between the two teams but just seems a bit shitty at this point.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, sidis said:

what are y'all's thoughts on the 5 spot grid penalty for bottas as the consequence for the shenanigans?  feel appropriate or way too weak?

Appropriate. It wasn’t shenanigans IMO. It was a mistake.

2 hours ago, sidis said:

i don't know...i try not to be too cynical on these things, but mercedes's seemingly purposeful recklessness continuing to impact red bull in particular after verstappen took over the top spot is just a bridge too far for me.  between silverstone and hungary, they need to get hammered imo.

i may be overreacting, not sure.  i have no rooting interest between the two teams but just seems a bit shitty at this point.

You think Bottas purposefully rear-ended Norris with the intention he could control the fallout from there and somehow hit both Verstappen and Perez? The most likely outcome of his mistake was only taking out himself and Norris, which would have been a huge benefit to RB.

If Valterri had purposefully tried to take out Max, he probably would’ve actually hit Max. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

holy fuck this dude put together a 1/18th of the aesthetically best racing car of all time

Yeah sometimes I think about doing a serious model build like that, but then I see someone like this guy & realize there's an approximately 0% chance I have the required patience to attend to the minute details so well, the way he does. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/10/2021 at 10:20 AM, sidis said:

what are y'all's thoughts on the 5 spot grid penalty for bottas as the consequence for the shenanigans?  feel appropriate or way too weak?

Did Bottas intend to punt Norris into Max and then hit Perez himself, thus eliminating his team's only competition in both championships? No. 

Did he screw up his start, react by screwing up his braking point, and lose downforce when Norris passed him? Yes. 

Is the penalty fair? Yes and no.  The penalty is for the incident, not the result. Sort of like when a DE or LB stumbles into the opposing quarterback, who subsequently rolls an ankle and misses a few weeks. The DE gets a 15-yard personal foul because that's the penalty for a late hit. The penalty isn't upgraded to a three-week suspension because of the effect of the penalty. That said, five grid places is no penalty.  At all. Bottas, in a Merc, at Spa, will make up those five places by the end of lap 2 (if not lap 1). Much like Lewis' 10-second at Silverstone.  With Max out and Bottas sure to jump out of the way when told to do so, Lewis had no one on track remotely as fast as he was at that track in the No.44 Mercedes. A win was forgone conclusion as long as he kept the car on the track and drove to his capabilities. 

But is it "fair"? No. Merc have wrecked out their leading competition at the last two GP in incidents in which their driver was judged to be at fault and regained the lead in both WDC AND WCC. What is the answer? I have no idea. Lewis crashing Max and Tsunoda barely going over the pit lane line both incurring the same penalty just seems unfair.

Are Mercedes pleased with the outcome?

spacer.png

Hell yes. Valtteri probably was the toast of the trailer that night; maybe even got a nice bonus envelope under his pillow.

[checks calendar] Damn... still two weeks until F1 returns. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

He can polish his 7 drivers championships with those calfskins.

He probably does. And probably wears them on all those private jet rides he takes while preaching to us about saving the planet, and the pollution caused by cows & all the cruelty they suffer. I have no problem with him driving a Zonda or wearing whatever kind of skins he wants. It's just the whole 'talking the talk' thing. Like so many celebs (and others, tbf), he talks it, but he's not too into actually walking it.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

9392fe1ae3bae7fda358ccb0fe4070ab.jpg

Nope. Not mad. I have zero problem with what Lewis wears, eats, drives, or flies in. Everyone knew he was never gonna stop driving his supercars or flying in private jets, no matter what he said. I just think it's funny & was very predictable. I do like pointing out celebs who preach one thing to us, lamenting the sad state of the world, caused by all of our bad behavior ... and then do pretty much the opposite.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Oof. Things are not looking up for our upcoming races.

F1’s off-track drama heats up as Covid threatens to scupper busy schedule https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/12/f1s-off-track-drama-heats-up-as-covid-threatens-to-scupper-busy-schedule

And then there's this from The Race. Matches up with what I've been hearing.

MotoGP calendar latest: Austin and Sepang likely to be lost https://the-race.com/motogp/motogp-calendar-latest-austin-and-sepang-likely-to-be-lost/

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah it was interesting when Stefano was talking about that, he said the 'objective' is to increase to two US races, with Miami as one of them, then went from talking about Miami to talking about Indy, Vegas, & other promoters as possibilities.

Losing COTA would be bad for race fans in general.  As much as I dream of seeing F1 back at Watkins Glen,  COTA is the only purpose-built track that's suitable for modern Formula 1 cars.

A road race in a parking lot in Miami isn't very compelling, and I really, REALLY hated F1 at Indy.  So did F1.

Las Vegas is just another Miami, really.

I sincerely hope they can come to another agreement to extend the series at COTA.  But I'd expect F1 to make some serious demands on a major reconditioning of the pavement at COTA, and I'm not sure that's ever going to happen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

No driver announcements yet in silly season. What are some rumors on movement that might actually happen?

Russell to Merc, Bottas to Alfa and Kimi retires seem to be the most popular. I saw something about Hulkenberg to Williams to replace Russ, but that seat seems the most up in the air.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, wood said:

Personally, I think Russell to Merc has been locked up for a long time.

I suspect you're right, but sadly I don't actually think that's a good thing for Russell, or for F1.  I like him and I think he's a good driver. I'd love to watch him excel-- somewhere else.

Since Nico split, Mercedes has made it 100% clear that all they want in their #2 is a "good wingman" for Lewis.  That's really all that needs to be said about such a "promotion."

• Hook 'Em 2

I suspect you're right, but sadly I don't actually think that's a good thing for Russell, or for F1.  I like him and I think he's a good driver. I'd love to watch him excel-- somewhere else.
Since Nico split, Mercedes has made it 100% clear that all they want in their #2 is a "good wingman" for Lewis.  That's really all that needs to be said about such a "promotion."

The question is how long is Hamilton going to keep going? He’s 36, has a two year deal through 2023 and seems to have interests outside of the sport. If Russell does well, he could be the #1 that is just looking for a “good wingman” in a few years time. At 23, he’s got a long career ahead of him.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Questioning if a Russell move to Mercedes is a good thing is laughable. The #2 driver at Mercedes is far and away the 3rd best seat on the grid. Weekly, you have a real shot at a win and a high likelihood of a podium. And, as been said, Hamilton isn’t a lifer and will probably retire in the not so distant future

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

Sure, if Russell is willing to bide his time until Lewis retires, that could be an attractive gig.  

I'd also want assurances that Toto was sticking around and that Mercedes was going to continue to make the same commitment to their works team.

Yep ... 

Mercedes Might Be Set To Quit Formula E Ahead Of New Era: Report https://jalopnik.com/mercedes-might-be-set-to-quit-formula-e-ahead-of-new-er-1847489811?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=_twitter

On 8/15/2021 at 11:11 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 8/14/2021 at 3:08 PM, Burt Macklin said:
Russell to Merc, Bottas to Alfa and Kimi retires seem to be the most popular. I saw something about Hulkenberg to Williams to replace Russ, but that seat seems the most up in the air.

Bottas is apparently taking to Red Bull. Is like to see that.

Well he is used to being second banana. And driver #2 at RBR is even more more of the red headed stepchild. 

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Well he is used to being second banana. And driver #2 at RBR is even more more of the red headed stepchild. 

If MB is tossing him to the curb, RB would be a great place to go.  He's a better driver than Checo, IMO.

Could just be RB stirring up shit, too.

2 hours ago, texas08 said:

Perez not consistent?

Yeah I've never thought of him as inconsistent. He's been a point-scoring machine in the past, given the equipment he's driven. He's definitely had a tough adjustment period going to RBR, but he's not the first to have a hard time adjusting to Newy's recent cars, and he's not the only guy who's had a tough time adjusting to a new car this year.

Re: Bottas, he's definitely quick over one lap, but that's pretty much where I run out of nice things to say about his abilities.

Edited by wood