Sell me a luxury sedan

midtown

I do turn 50 in March but I have all my hair so I don't qualify to buy a Corvette.  I have considered a Porsche but I just can't justify a car that expensive.  Esp with younger kids.  And even if I stretched up to the $60k for a Cayman aren't those kind of frowned upon?
I really want to avoid a car that half the planet drives which leaves out BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi.
Caymans are great. Definitely drive one.

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Caymans are great. Definitely drive one.

The only one they have in SA is $100k.   They have nice white one in Austin at 80k.  Slightly out of reach today but if my business keeps up like it has; I handle that in a year.  What's the used market like?

Edited by midtown

43 minutes ago, midtown said:

The only one they have in SA is $100k.   They have nice white one in Austin at 80k.  Slightly out of reach today but if my business keeps up like it has; I handle that in a year.  What's the used market like?

The used market is pretty nice for ones a generation back, which is only a couple of years.  However, the older interiors are a bit spartan compared to what you see today.  Also, you see some pretty low miles older ones that are tempting, that must have been "weekend" cars or something.  There is kind of a consensus, though, that daily-driven Porsches tend to be more reliable than garage queens.

I couldn't get over my fear of krautwagens to pull the trigger.  They're also somewhat less than practical for even a kidless couple like us.

13 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Shit get a used gsf. Stupid powerful Toyota v8, will last forever. Will it be as fun to corner as an Audi/bmw? Hell no, but it’ll go in a straight line fast as shit, sound great, and last for fucking forever.

Hard to find, and not a bargain.

A CT5 is really the best of all worlds on a lease.

If we’re talking Caymans I think we would be remiss if we didn’t cover the new Cayman GTS 4.0. It’s got the flat six and 394 HP. I’ve been playing around with configurator trying to convince myself it’s worth it. They don’t come cheap though. Some basic options gets you to 90k with a lot of room for growth above that.  According to reviews they are supposed to be the purest sports car Porsche is making right now. 

On 12/22/2020 at 5:55 PM, midtown said:

I do turn 50 in March but I have all my hair so I don't qualify to buy a Corvette.  I have considered a Porsche but I just can't justify a car that expensive.  Esp with younger kids.  And even if I stretched up to the $60k for a Cayman aren't those kind of frowned upon?

I really want to avoid a car that half the planet drives which leaves out BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi.

You should test drive a genesis. I wasn’t looking for one, but a couple car nuts I work with swore I had to test drive a g70 when I was looking at other options. I was pretty skeptical and outside the absolute shit dealership experience, I’ve been happy. Just always arrange service through corporate, and you never have to step foot in the dealership. That will be my approach until they fix it. 

Really great value (performance for cost), and I’ve seen just a handful since I bought it 18 months ago. 

On 12/19/2020 at 4:15 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, Hyundai/Kia might, but not the empirical case with Genesis.

I just checked cars.com and there are comparatively a shit ton more G70s in Dallas than there were a year ago.  A 19 with under 10k can be had for 35 or under with the 2.0.  Closer to 45 with the V6.  Many or most with really low miles for some reason.

So they aren't exactly dropping like a rock.

Umm, The G70 hit the lots in the Fall of 2017 and most leases are 3 year.

On 12/24/2020 at 9:55 PM, bigcigar said:

You should test drive a genesis. I wasn’t looking for one, but a couple car nuts I work with swore I had to test drive a g70 when I was looking at other options. I was pretty skeptical and outside the absolute shit dealership experience, I’ve been happy. Just always arrange service through corporate, and you never have to step foot in the dealership. That will be my approach until they fix it. 

Really great value (performance for cost), and I’ve seen just a handful since I bought it 18 months ago. 

This is the number one issue up market buyers have with Genesis. They should have gone the Lexus, Infinity, Acura separate dealership route.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2020 at 10:18 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Umm, The G70 hit the lots in the Fall of 2017 and most leases are 3 year.

While true, and availability probably helps drive the price down, the fact remains that their resale isn't dropping like a rock, even with increased availability.

My in laws bought a used Hyundai Azera, which might be a Genesis had it come along later.  It's pretty nice for a midsize luxobarge.  They didnt' sell well at all so they got it for a steal.  I suspect they didn't sell well because they were pretty upscale and expensive for a Kia/Hyundai from five years ago, and resale did in fact drop like a rock.

• 4 months later...

Glad someone bumped this thread.  My 2007 CTSv has become a money pit, and driving two young kids around for years has jacked up the interior a bit (which was never high quality to begin with).  I’d been thinking a Stinger GT1/2 was in the cards but even trying to drive one in Austin ruined it for me with the horrible dealership experience I’d heard so much about.  

Every day picking up my 7yo from school I’d see a red 2018 G80 3.3T and after looking into them I think it may be what I want.  Going to test drive one with 40k miles on Tuesday, and understand I’d be trading some raw personality for luxury and interior quality.  

Of course the used market is all sellers right now, so prices are kinda high.  Any thoughts on the G80 reliability and should I try to sell the V private market (after fixing issues) since it’s kinda niche car a dealer won’t want?  

I have lots of patience and am not in a rush to have another car payment.  

10 hours ago, Homercles said:

Glad someone bumped this thread.  My 2007 CTSv has become a money pit, and driving two young kids around for years has jacked up the interior a bit (which was never high quality to begin with).  I’d been thinking a Stinger GT1/2 was in the cards but even trying to drive one in Austin ruined it for me with the horrible dealership experience I’d heard so much about.  

Every day picking up my 7yo from school I’d see a red 2018 G80 3.3T and after looking into them I think it may be what I want.  Going to test drive one with 40k miles on Tuesday, and understand I’d be trading some raw personality for luxury and interior quality.  

Of course the used market is all sellers right now, so prices are kinda high.  Any thoughts on the G80 reliability and should I try to sell the V private market (after fixing issues) since it’s kinda niche car a dealer won’t want?  

I have lots of patience and am not in a rush to have another car payment.  

Seems like quite a lot of miles for a 2018.  Looks like you'll have warranty for another 20k or two years.  Can you CPO it?

Hyundais are pretty reliable cars these days, generally speaking.  But most of them are pretty simple.

Start getting into twin turbo with all the driver assist stuff and there is a lot to go wrong.

On 6/27/2021 at 10:12 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Seems like quite a lot of miles for a 2018.  Looks like you'll have warranty for another 20k or two years.  Can you CPO it?

Hyundais are pretty reliable cars these days, generally speaking.  But most of them are pretty simple.

Start getting into twin turbo with all the driver assist stuff and there is a lot to go wrong.

Yes I have zero intention of buying that one in particular…the used market is stupid right now, it has too many miles, it’s white (don’t want that color), I’m paying out the ass for daycare for my two kids right now during summer and I still need to get yet more work done on the v to sell it.   

Used V1s don’t seem to come up for sale often, mine is bone stock and I’m comfortable enough financially that I want it in pretty good shape so I can patiently private sale it…no dealer wants a 14 year old stick shift Cadillac.  

However the G80 3.3T is rare enough in CenTex that I need to take advantage of one being 20 minutes away to test drive it…I’ve read about the car endlessly but haven’t driven one.  As I get older I envision myself moving into a sporty-ish luxury car but won’t know until I get it on the road if it feels right.  

Understood but I worry it’d be like when when I sold my old house, but in reverse: I sold it in 2011 for what I bought it for in 2005 despite upgrades, but bought my new house for almost half what it’s currently worth.  I.e. I’d get a covid premium on the V, but the G80 would cost more than enough to offset it.  

Moved the test drive to today, so will see if I even like it.  

Man I shouldn’t have done that…I was really impressed.  It’s not quite as sharp or engaging as the V, and I’m sure it’s a step down from a proper AMG or M or S car but it was very comfortable, tight, quiet, and hid it’s mass well.  It plows a bit on turn in, the auto is more old school slush box in delays to kick down, and obviously torque isn’t instant like my LS2…but I don’t go for Saturday morning sporty drives anymore and want more of a bruiser cruiser than full on sports sedan.  

Need to try to test a GT2 Stinger just to compare.  

Going to take it for an overnight test drive tomorrow to test out car seats and how well it’ll fit in the garage (it’s as long as our Explorer).  

Gotta stick to my plan to get the V sorted and not get serious until late August when I’m not spending $1500 a month on daycare (youngest starts K then) so I can afford payments and increased insurance.  

But yeah that’s a solid car, especially given the platform is a generation old at this point.  

Edited by Homercles

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

anyone have feelings one way or another on relatively recent A4s?  2018/19 range

I'm biased towards Audi, but I think their whole lineup is great.  Hard to go wrong with an A4.  Just get the extended warranty in case something goes wrong.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Man I shouldn’t have done that…I was really impressed.  It’s not quite as sharp or engaging as the V, and I’m sure it’s a step down from a proper AMG or M or S car but it was very comfortable, tight, quiet, and hid it’s mass well.  It plows a bit on turn in, the auto is more old school slush box in delays to kick down, and obviously torque isn’t instant like my LS2…but I don’t go for Saturday morning sporty drives anymore and want more of a bruiser cruiser than full on sports sedan.  

Need to try to test a GT2 Stinger just to compare.  

Going to take it for an overnight test drive tomorrow to test out car seats and how well it’ll fit in the garage (it’s as long as our Explorer).  

Gotta stick to my plan to get the V sorted and not get serious until late August when I’m not spending $1500 a month on daycare (youngest starts K then) so I can afford payments and increased insurance.  

But yeah that’s a solid car, especially given the platform is a generation old at this point.  

You can get a 3-4 year old S6 for 35-40k.  If you're already looking in that price range, it deserves a look.  I still love driving mine.  

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You can get a 3-4 year old S6 for 35-40k.  If you're already looking in that price range, it deserves a look.  I still love driving mine.  

I just see Audis everywhere and am hesitant on repair costs.  Again though it’s possible recency bias as my Cadillac has needed everything over the decade I’ve had.  

Might as well chime in since I started this. I. Just lost interest in car shopping but holy shit that C8. I'm 50 now and my hair is thinning a little and greying so Im eligible to drive a corvette. They want $20k over sticker.

Then again I did rent a car on. A business trip this week and getting in and out of a sedan was a bit of a pain in my back.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

I just see Audis everywhere and am hesitant on repair costs.  Again though it’s possible recency bias as my Cadillac has needed everything over the decade I’ve had.  

Yeah, but that ain't even fair.  I don't think you want to think too long or hard about a 10 year old Audi.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, but that ain't even fair.  I don't think you want to think too long or hard about a 10 year old Audi.

Yeah so far I’ve kept my cars a long time.  Drove my 97 Prelude for 9 years and the V for 10…so I’ve been hesitant to look at German cars just due to repair costs.  The V has nothing special in it outside the motor and brakes, so my local Firestone does most work on it.  

I do love Audi interiors, best in the business.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I had a client in Dallas that owned like 6 Audis. When he traded on 5 for 6 I said something like 'why are you trading in? That car is barely out of warranty' he said I've owned 5 Audis and everyone knows to never own an Audi out of warranty. That's stuck with me

• Like 1

I had a client in Dallas that owned like 6 Audis. When he traded on 5 for 6 I said something like 'why are you trading in? That car is barely out of warranty' he said I've owned 5 Audis and everyone knows to never own an Audi out of warranty. That's stuck with me
I own an Audi out of warranty. It hasn't exploded yet.

10 hours ago, midtown said:

I bought a used Audi once.

76861350.jpg

shopped audi and lexus this weekend
the rona has destroyed the supply chain

I bought a Lexus a couple of months back. When the dealer called to tell me my tags arrived, they mentioned my timing was impeccable - they are now selling their allocations because there is no inventory and they’ve already sold their in-transits.

The supply chain is screwed. I’m looking to buy another car and the little supply that exists is overpriced. I’m curious when supply will bounce back.

On 7/1/2021 at 5:51 AM, RPM said:

76861350.jpg

On 6/30/2021 at 7:38 PM, midtown said:

On 7/1/2021 at 5:51 AM, RPM said:

76861350.jpg

I have good friend that only buys 10-year old Audis. He drives them 2-4 years. When he buys a “new” one he said he sells the old one for close to what he paid originally.

Edited by Longhorn Fever
Autocorrect error