Sell me a luxury sedan

midtown

Business has been great the last year and my daily driver (13 F-150 w 95k miles) is getting up there.    Keeping the truck because I have two kids and I need to put shit in the bed.  As a previous owner of Cadillac CTS V I immediately locked onto one of the new Caddys (CT4 and CT5).  I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a CT5 Sport.  No V because I got too many tickets in my V and I'm getting more into comfort vs speed.   Trying to stay around the 50k range.

Looking at a 3 yr lease because I don't know if I want to be a long time owner of a gas vehicle.   

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fuck Euro bullshit.

Do take a look at the Hyundai Genesis and Infiniti Q50. Not as much HP as a CTSV but both very fun to drive, luxurious and plenty fast.

2021 Q50 doesn't have great ratings apparently. I think the one I drove most recently was a 2015 and it was awesome.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Business has been great the last year and my daily driver (13 F-150 w 95k miles) is getting up there.    Keeping the truck because I have two kids and I need to put shit in the bed.  As a previous owner of Cadillac CTS V I immediately locked onto one of the new Caddys (CT4 and CT5).  I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a CT5 Sport.  No V because I got too many tickets in my V and I'm getting more into comfort vs speed.   Trying to stay around the 50k range.

Looking at a 3 yr lease because I don't know if I want to be a long time owner of a gas vehicle.   

The -V is a lot less crazy than it used to be, but I should think that 2.7 should be adequate.  A turbo engine is not going to be as long legged fast as your -V, but is gobs of fun 0- ramming speed.  I have an ATS Coupe (same platform) and it is a step up in driving fun from the Gen 1 CTS that you had, IIRC (I came from a Gen 2 CTS Coupe). Part of that may be the smallerness of it, but I think the consensus is that they keep tweaking the Alpha platform and it's just damn good regardless of the sheetmetal they hang off it (Camaro, CTS, ATS, CT4 and CT5).

The CTs are getting pretty solid reviews and by dialing it back a little bit, they're pretty good deals right out of the box.  I think they nailed the interior.  I am a little wary of first model year, though.

You absolutely should look at the Genesis G70 and 80 and the Kia equivalents, the Stinger and K900.  The base engine is lamer than the 2.7T in the Sport (I assume that's what you're looking at as opposed to the 2.0), but probably adequate.  When you get to their V6, they start to get a little spendy.

Edited by TwiceHorn

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The -V is a lot less crazy than it used to be

Yup.  Everyone is calling these V's V lights.  I drove a 4-V, 4 sport, and a 5 Sport.  The twin 4 on the sports had PLENTY of power to get me up and down the road.   They have a used 4 V that had everything I wanted but a sunroof.  Why on earth would you build a 50k car without a sun roof?  The blackwings which are expected to be more true V's are on the way apparently but I have no desire to spend 60-80k on a second car.  

Interior wise you really need to ramp up the option packages to get all the good stuff.   Im irritated at their option package combos though.   In order to get some stuff I want I have to eat stuff I don't.   I want cooled seats and side warnings but why do I have to suck down heated seats and AWD in the process.    This is like clothing stores removing all their shorts in August to get ready for fall.  Do you people not understand the weather in Texas?

The 4 just feels tight and small to me mostly because Im stepping out of a crew cab truck.   The 5 is about right.  Ill check out imports you guys mentioned. 

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, midtown said:

Yup.  Everyone is calling these V's V lights.  I drove a 4-V, 4 sport, and a 5 Sport.  The twin 4 on the sports had PLENTY of power to get me up and down the road.   They have a used 4 V that had everything I wanted but a sunroof.  Why on earth would you build a 50k car without a sun roof?  The blackwings which are expected to be more true V's are on the way apparently but I have no desire to spend 60-80k on a second car.  

Interior wise you really need to ramp up the option packages to get all the good stuff.   Im irritated at their option package combos though.   In order to get some stuff I want I have to eat stuff I don't.   I want cooled seats and side warnings but why do I have to suck down heated seats and AWD in the process.    This is like clothing stores removing all their shorts in August to get ready for fall.  Do you people not understand the weather in Texas?

The 4 just feels tight and small to me mostly because Im stepping out of a crew cab truck.   The 5 is about right.  Ill check out imports you guys mentioned. 

Yeah, I have seen complaints about the optioning.  I suppose they'll sort that out later.

Oh shit, I thought that 2.7L TT was available as a mid choice in the CT5.  I was wrong.

Well, I have a slightly higher rated 2.0 in a slightly lighter car and it is.  Quite. Adequate.  It's damned hard to find open road anywhere where much over 80 isn't dangerous just due to the other dipshits on the road.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

the everything must be AWD mantra from car makers nowadays annoys me.  IT"S RAINING IN LA HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO GET ANYWHERE WITHOUT CRASHING AND EXPLODING INTO A FIREBALL AARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Yeah, I'm not into it, myself.  Just seems like more shit to break.

It does seem to always knock a few fractions off the 0-60 and 1/4, though, despite the weight penalty.

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

i026388.jpg

LMAO at y'all calling those cars "luxury"

- my Grandparents, proud owners of pretty much every Caddy model except the Cimarron and the Escalade.

That series of Eldo and the STS were kind of the beginning of Caddy as the luxury performance division of GM.

Pretty far cry from the Fleetwoods and Devilles.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Genesis. Do it. 

This guy fucks. 

I almost got one for 21k - can't remember the year. But it was a niiiice fucking car that I just felt like I didn't need. SK is making some good cars. Settled on an Altima for 14k - which has been a good car so far but sometimes I wish I had gone with the Hyundai.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This guy fucks. 

I almost got one for 21k - can't remember the year. But it was a niiiice fucking car that I just felt like I didn't need. SK is making some good cars. Settled on an Altima for 14k - which has been a good car so far but sometimes I wish I had gone with the Hyundai.

I recall when the first Hyundai Sonata was brought to US market in the 80s. It looked good, but they were shit.    They have a come.a long way since then.   

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

First Northstars

Yep, and the handling and general appointments were more in the nature of a 5- or 7-series than a Deville.  My first boss had an STS, it was nice af.  I would have bought one, but I was 30ish and Cadillac.

Now I have no qualms and have owned two.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Don’t know much about them but you can get a nice Lincoln mkz with the 3.0TT with 400 horsies for under 50 for sure, and with the sedans being discontinued you might could get a continental at your price point. 

They're nice, but definitely in the luxobarge category, rather than sport sedan.  Also FWD.

I have no issues with any engine GM puts in their current Caddys. They've shown their ability to build amazing engines when you look at their LS line. Some of the best on the market. The Northstar were an epic fail

I do like Lincolns. My mom had a mkz and my bil has a mks but their quality is shit.

31 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I recall when the first Hyundai Sonata was brought to US market in the 80s. It looked good, but they were shit.    They have a come.a long way since then.   

my buddy bought the first Hyundai; paid $5200 out the door.   Fucker was junk in 40,000 mi.  

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

I have no issues with any engine GM puts in their current Caddys. They've shown their ability to build amazing engines when you look at their LS line. Some of the best on the market. The Northstar were an epic fail

I do like Lincolns. My mom had a mkz and my bil has a mks but their quality is shit.

From that perspective, the 2.0L is the most tried and true in the Caddy lineup.  It had some rough spots some years back, but they seem to be mostly worked out.  And the latest is slightly detuned (maybe only on paper), so it should be very good to go.

The 2.7L is fairly new, and all-new, and is a "truck engine," for whatever that's worth. The new emphasis on low-end torque rather than high-rpm peak HP for driveablity makes the difference between a "truck engine" and a "car engine" nonexistent, imo.

The 3.0T V6 is a relatively new variant of the 3.6NA V6.  Not sure what to make of it.

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i've been looking at those and it seems like they're a lot more spendy than an audi of similar appointments and speed (quattro a4 is quick) on the used market

They apparently have sold so few, or so few people are turning them back in, that there's nothing on the market, or there wasn't a year ago when I was looking.

Lots of 1500 mile courtesy cars or some shit.  I was hoping to find some screaming deal on a year-old one with 10k miles and no such luck.  I really wanted the V6, too.

Now that I am really digging my squirrel-cage turbo four-banger, I wish I had looked harder at them in the 2L config.  Still, the pricing wasn't compelling in the used market.

And, I don't think I'd die on that hill, but the T-handle shifter in the Genesii and the Audi reminds me too much of my 1983 Cutlass Calais.  Not a giant fan of the diamond stitched upholstery either, but not a dealbreaker.

Incidentally, the Lincolns or most of them, have bloody pushbutton shifters.  Which I guess beats M-B's "three on the tree" shifter.  They're all nothing but overgrown switches at this point, but I want a stick on the console, goddammit.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, midtown said:

Agree with others on checking out Genesis. They are making very nice cars now that give you a lot for what you pay. I'm hesitant to say it because if you were interested you would have already mentioned it, but my Model 3 has been a great purchase and the AWD is in your price range. Finally, a slightly used A6 would also be a good route (and would avoid the new ugly mug with a hockey puck on it).

I just looked at 21 A6s.  I didn't notice the grille being anymore offensive than the original variant from 10-15 years ago.

I gotta say, the addition of the sucked-in contours above the rocker panels make the newer Audis look pretty hot.  They were getting kind of slab-sided for a while there.

The new Caddies took a step down in price that makes them more compelling new than they used to be in comparison to BMW and Audi.  The CT4 starts at 33k, ffs and unlike BMW, you don't have to spend 15k to make it "acceptable."

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I just looked at 21 A6s.  I didn't notice the grille being anymore offensive than the original variant from 10-15 years ago.

I gotta say, the addition of the sucked-in contours above the rocker panels make the newer Audis look pretty hot.  They were getting kind of slab-sided for a while there.

The car itself is pretty. It is the puck they install on the front grill with all the sensors that is ugly. Hard to see in pictures. Really obvious in person. Not a big deal, but it isn't the sleekest integration in the world. 

• Hook 'Em 1

the everything must be AWD mantra from car makers nowadays annoys me.  IT"S RAINING IN LA HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO GET ANYWHERE WITHOUT CRASHING AND EXPLODING INTO A FIREBALL AARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!
Living in CO, i love the AWD everything. I can understand how people in warm states disagree.

The new Caddies took a step down in price that makes them more compelling new than they used to be in comparison to BMW and Audi.  The CT4 starts at 33k, ffs and unlike BMW, you don't have to spend 15k to make it "acceptable."
Do it.

Is it just me or has pricing taken a major jump of late? It doesn't seem that long ago when you could get something like a Corvette or 335i in the $40s, but now a 340i with any options is practically $60k or more. My mental map has always been that $40k is "premium high performance car" territory. Now it's Ford Mustang/Chevy Camaro territory.

23 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Is it just me or has pricing taken a major jump of late? It doesn't seem that long ago when you could get something like a Corvette or 335i in the $40s, but now a 340i with any options is practically $60k or more. My mental map has always been that $40k is "premium high performance car" territory. Now it's Ford Mustang/Chevy Camaro territory.

It wasn't all that sudden.  You're just getting old.  I'm the same way.

I got sort of suckered by buying a 2004 Acura TSX brand new, sticker at $27k, which kind of reset my pricing thinking to the low end.  Most equivalent cars at that time were pushing $40k or more.  The next time I bought a car, in the early 10's, I was shocked.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Paper_jam said:

Average price of a new car is over 38k now. 

42 minutes ago, elfenix said:

they're not tho.  at least, not the G70s.  and especially not the one with the TT V6.  stinger really isn't any better (from a buyer's standpoint, that is). 

Yeah, Hyundai/Kia might, but not the empirical case with Genesis.

I just checked cars.com and there are comparatively a shit ton more G70s in Dallas than there were a year ago.  A 19 with under 10k can be had for 35 or under with the 2.0.  Closer to 45 with the V6.  Many or most with really low miles for some reason.

So they aren't exactly dropping like a rock.

Edited by TwiceHorn

20 minutes ago, midtown said:

G80 looks really nice but they climb up in price fast if you want all the bells.

Yeah, they're kind of making the Cadillac mistake:  pricing like ze Germans when they don't have quite the credibility, although the cars speak for themselves.

I think the way Caddy has priced the CTs is a winner, winner chicken dinner.  And it may be the reason for all the kind of weird optioning.

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Kinda like the Gold Star electronics KMart sold back in the 80s. It was later rebranded LG and quality took off.

Yep.   Samsung was pretty much in the same category albeit some of Samsung’s stuff is not up to snuff compared to other brand such as their household appliances. 

13 hours ago, midtown said:

Hyundai needs to upgrade their dealerships or at least have a separate area for genesis sales especially if they want to sell 50-90k vehicles.

they've started a genesis dealer network.  unfortunately i think a lot of them are colo'ed at hyundai dealers.