Can we have a Bob Seger appreciation thread?

tbone_

One of my all time favorites. Anyone else a fan?

In 1982 when I was 14 and flipping burgers at Sonic on Shady Grove Road in Irving and very certain that Iron Maiden and Judas Priest we’re the end all be all of music, we would routinely give our manager shit for being a Bob Seger fan. When you dipshits grow up, he said, you’ll understand.

Well, Kenny, you were right.

I’ll start with this:

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Welp I should probably put this in the unpopular opinion thread but I think he sucks. I’m from 40 mins out of detroit. 

Well, if you were from Detroit, or maybe an hour outside, you'd think differently.

"Against The Wind" for me.  Fantastic song.

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

His sax player was "Alto Reed", which is high in the running for douchiest musician name of all time. 

His sister's name is worse--- Soprano Spitvalve      I bet high school was rough for her.  

I've been digging Seger's back catalog during pandemic.  These threads have turned me onto to some lesser known gems.  He is reminding me of John Prine the more I listen to him, maybe I'm just being sentimental since Prine died earlier this year and because they were friends.  I wonder if there's anything out there by the two of them together.  

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not a superfan, but there are some really great Seger tunes.  When a child is born in the Midwest, I'm pretty sure it's a law that they be given a copy of the Greatest Hits album upon checking out of the hospital.

It's also required that any prospective bar proprietor seeking a liquor license obtain a copy for the jukebox before said liquor license can be issued.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have mixed feelings.  I feel like I should be too hip for Bob Seger.  Like, as referenced above, his mawkishly sentimental lyrics are heat and serve classic rock that merit some form of musical disdain.

Yet, driving along in my car, I rarely flip the station if one of his tunes comes on, and I often find myself singing along at the top of my lungs.

So point to Mr. Seger. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 9:28 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

I'm not a fan but he had some good songs-- this is just a great fucking rock and roll song

I think it’s one of the most under-appreciated songs of that entire decade.  It’s right up there in the tier with House of the Rising Sun and some tunes of that nature.  Just a flat out jam.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

In order to be a tribute to Bob Seger, the title of this thread should be: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

One of my all time favorites. Anyone else a fan?

In 1982 when I was 14 and flipping burgers at Sonic on Shady Grove Road in Irving and very certain that Iron Maiden and Judas Priest we’re the end all be all of music, we would routinely give our manager shit for being a Bob Seger fan. When you dipshits grow up, he said, you’ll understand.

Well, Kenny, you were right.

I’ll start with this:

My favorite Seger song, always puts me in a good mood and makes me want to hit the highway...