Kendrick Lamar, Pulitzer Prize Winner

Mole

I didn't see this mentioned elsewhere and it seems notable. He's the first hip-hop artist to win a prize that has largely been given to classical composers. Former winners include Aaron Copland, Charles Ives, Samuel Barber, Elliot Carter, and former UT faculty member Kevin Puts.

http://www.pulitzer.org/winners/kendrick-lamar

Recording released on April 14, 2017, a virtuosic song collection unified by its vernacular authenticity and rhythmic dynamism that offers affecting vignettes capturing the complexity of modern African-American life.

Recording released on April 14, 2017, a virtuosic song collection unified by its vernacular authenticity and rhythmic dynamism that offers affecting vignettes capturing the complexity of modern African-American life.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

While I do think the album is very good, I think its pretty fucking ridiculous that this would be the first non-classical or jazz album to win this award.   Not Songs in the Key of Life, not Trouble Man, nothing by the Beatles or Dylan.     But this does.  

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

While I do think the album is very good, I think its pretty fucking ridiculous that this would be the first non-classical or jazz album to win this award.   Not Songs in the Key of Life, not Trouble Man, nothing by the Beatles or Dylan.     But this does.  

Blame the Pulitzer committee for being so stoggy all these years. 

Jazz has been underrepresented as well. Wynton was the first jazz musician to win one, not Miles, Coltrane, Ellington, or Bird. Ornette Coleman won one, but not for The Shape of Jazz to Come, which is his greatest work.