2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

Will Manu retire?

Will Pop retire?

Tony's deal is up, will we resign him (we will) and what will his contract look like?

Danny Green has a player option, what does he do?

Will Rudy "Ben" Gay be back?

How can this team get more athletic (annual question)?

But the biggest question..... is what happens with Kawhi?  Does he want to be traded?  Will we trade him?  What could we get?  This is the biggest summer since Timmy's free agency and dalliance with Orlando almost 20 years ago.  Winds of change are a blowin'.....

Cap situation:

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio_spurs/

giphy.gif

Well, this nightmare of a season finally is over.

I hope R.C. can hit one in the Draft. I think Danny might opt out and perhaps go elsewhere. I was briefly reading someplace online that he can make more doing so and if he does it was nice run here and good luck.

We are about to see how fractured the relationship with Kawhi is, I guess.

Andre Roberson got 3 years 30m this offseason, so yeah, I think Danny could make a lot more than 10m for 1 season. If nothing else, he could at least get more years at that rate.

I would expect Rudy Gay to do the same, since he had a decent year. He may want to ring chase too, and would be a good bench player for a contender. 

Kyle Anderson has a $3,227,556 Qualifying Offer. Do you guys expect SA to pick that up and make him an RFA?  

If you had all 3 of those guys opt out, you would actually have money for a max slot. Giving Kawhi the Supermax would still work, and the cap hit wouldn't start until the following year, so you could make him happy and go after someone like Lebron, KD or Chris Paul. 

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Andre Roberson got 3 years 30m this offseason, so yeah, I think Danny could make a lot more than 10m for 1 season. If nothing else, he could at least get more years at that rate.

I would expect Rudy Gay to do the same, since he had a decent year. He may want to ring chase too, and would be a good bench player for a contender. 

Kyle Anderson has a $3,227,556 Qualifying Offer. Do you guys expect SA to pick that up and make him an RFA?  

If you had all 3 of those guys opt out, you would actually have money for a max slot. Giving Kawhi the Supermax would still work, and the cap hit wouldn't start until the following year, so you could make him happy and go after someone like Lebron, KD or Chris Paul. 

I'd be very surprised if Danny left and got more money. I could see him signing for a similar deal, but if he gave up 2-4 million a year (if I'm remembering his worth right when we resigned) 3 years ago, I don't see how he's improved (or even not regressed) since then. His value seems about the same, and looking back over the extension, $10 mil/year seems about the right rate considering what we got out of him. For the first time since before the championship he fell out of graces with Pop this year and was benched, maybe the team chemistry and the types of shots he gets changes with Kawhi int he mix, but maybe not.

25 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'd be very surprised if Danny left and got more money. I could see him signing for a similar deal, but if he gave up 2-4 million a year (if I'm remembering his worth right when we resigned) 3 years ago, I don't see how he's improved (or even not regressed) since then. His value seems about the same, and looking back over the extension, $10 mil/year seems about the right rate considering what we got out of him. For the first time since before the championship he fell out of graces with Pop this year and was benched, maybe the team chemistry and the types of shots he gets changes with Kawhi int he mix, but maybe not.

He'll be 31 in couple of months so his value may be on the decline because of age.  He could want to get one more L-T contract (3 or more years) and therefore opt out.  It could be as you say, a contract very much like Roberson, but if his shooting continues to decline, he probably won't be worth after the first year if his defense has the usual age based decline.

We are so screwed.  It's been a great run though.  This year was the least amount of Spurs basketball I have watched since probably 1982.  I've been ridiculously spoiled for a very long time.  I have no idea what my interest level will be next year, but it will directly hinge on whether or not we have any semblance of a chance at a title.  I don't see a way for that to happen right now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

I’m ready for Anderson to hit the bricks. 

I feel for Anderson b/c he would have been a game-changer in the 90's era with the half court game.  Long, lanky and clever, good poke on defense, and his slowness wouldn't be such a liability.  In today's NBA, not so much.

I feel like a teenage girl going through her first breakup listening to Losing My Religion by REM . I'm never going to love again.

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight
Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no, I've said too much
I haven't said enough

tim-duncan-manu-ginobili-tony-parker-kaw

1 hour ago, Hate said:

We are so screwed.  It's been a great run though.  This year was the least amount of Spurs basketball I have watched since probably 1982.  I've been ridiculously spoiled for a very long time.  I have no idea what my interest level will be next year, but it will directly hinge on whether or not we have any semblance of a chance at a title.  I don't see a way for that to happen right now.

Will definitely depend on what changes are or arent made.  Ill tune in to see some new guys playing, ill tune in to see kawhi if he happens to make it back. I might even watch for murrays improvement.    But if the roster is mostly the same, well I don't need to watch the sequel.

Danny Green reminds me of Avery Johnson.  Too much sentimental value at this point, probably sticks around until retirement if he wants to.  But no way in hell is he going to make as much money.  If a young core develops, he'll be a savvy veteran you'll want on the team.

Pau needs to be gone, or at least cheap as possible and minimal minutes.

No mo slo mo.

Pay Kawhi whatever he wants.  Draft wisely.  And  Let's get LMA his first ring.

I think Danny Green opts in, unfortunately. Nobody else is paying him $10 million next year. He was terrible this season. He just went 8-30 for the playoffs including 5-20 from three. He's a 3 and D guy on the wrong side of 30 who can't shoot and who they don't trust in the fourth quarters of games anymore. He also got exposed on defense this year because he has always been able to guard the other team's second best wing player with Kawhi in there.

Parker is coming back for somewhere around $5 million per, depending on how much they feel he's been underpaid for his career. He's taken a couple of team friendly deals and they will make him whole. People will bitch like crazy because he clearly can't play anymore, but it's the right thing to do and the Spurs thing to do.

I selfishly hope Manu comes back, but whatever he decides should be celebrated.

I hope Rudy Gay comes back. I don't think this is what he signed up for so he may go ring seeking and I wouldn't blame him one bit for opting out.

Kyle Anderson is easy to bag on but he has improved year over year and knows the system. I'd like to see him back on a cap friendly deal. I don't think there will be a lot of suitors for him. He's a solid rotation guy who can eat up minutes in an 82 game season.

As far as Kawhi goes, I would be stunned if they offer him the super max this summer. If he wants it, then he needs to come back next season and earn it. The Spurs have all the bargaining power here. The last CBA was all about the small market teams keeping their young stars. Even though the circumstances were much different, they sort of faced the same deal with Aldridge last Summer where they essentially told him that they could trade him, but would only receive pennies on the dollar back for him. Kawhi's situation essentially boils down to that. They aren't going to take lesser value for him. Period. So, they are going to have a come to Jesus meeting with him and tell him that if he comes back and plays, then he will get the super max. If he plays out next season and decides he wants to bolt SA, then he's going to give up tens of millions of dollars. It's pretty much that simple.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Will definitely depend on what changes are or arent made.  Ill tune in to see some new guys playing, ill tune in to see kawhi if he happens to make it back. I might even watch for murrays improvement.    But if the roster is mostly the same, well I don't need to watch the sequel.

I honestly took a lot of pride from this roster. They weren't assembled to be led by LaMarcus, but I was very proud of how hard they played given their limitations. I don't hold that against any of them. And I completely and fully trust in PATFO to re-tool the roster if for some reason we have to play next season without Kawhi. The team was built for him, if he's not there we will build around LMA for the next 3-4 years. I don't foresee us playing a sequel next year because this year's version was never meant to be.

19 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Kyle Anderson is easy to bag on but he has improved year over year and knows the system. I'd like to see him back on a cap friendly deal. I don't think there will be a lot of suitors for him. He's a solid rotation guy who can eat up minutes in an 82 game season.

also really conflicted with Kyle. He's unplayable in many situations and still prone to shitty shooting streaks, but if he doesn't have to start, is the 3/4 on the bench roster and is affordable and not taking away from us adding other talent, I'd resign. Having guys like Manu Kyle and Patty coming off the bench (where they should be) is a huge advantage, hell even with Pau. Bench units aren't as cohesive as ours can be, and having that many passers on the bench is invaluable, as we learned in 2014. The key is to make sure they aren't having to play against starters.

Oh and I see Derrick White joining us next year for Brandon Paul's spot. I don't think he's going to wait much longer.

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

I think we sign Kawhi to supermax if it is part of a deal with another star FA we pursue.

Kawhi-LMA-LeBron

Boom!

That would be more than enough on the interior to offset the Warriors on the perimeter... Just replace Anderson & it could work...

I can't recall the last time the Spurs headed into an off season with this many questions. There was a negative vibe at the conclusion of the 2010-11 season, but this season just blows that out of the water. That team was a #1 seed that choked away to a #8, but it had a strong foundation and just needed some tweaks. The 2017-18 team needs nuked from orbit and the bad contracts belonging to Pau/Patty will severely limit what the Spurs can achieve in free agency. With the loss of Pop's wife I'm severely questioning if he will return. What does he have left to prove? He's coached  a team to the playoffs for two consecutive decades and won 5 titles, his legacy is cemented as one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Edited by Chad

1 hour ago, Amos Moses said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23366667/inside-tension-kawhi-leonard-spurs

Lots of stuff to unpack in here.  I've got a bad feeling it's not going to end with Kawhi on the Spurs.  

It actually makes me worry less about Kawhi and worry more about how much he relies on his uncle going forward. We all knew he was an issue but I hadn't considered him to have this much influence on Kawhi and his relationship with the Spurs. The details of the injury are pretty troubling as well. I know this article is basically a compilation of everything that's been reported up until this point but I've tried to avoid a lot of it and hold on to blind hope that it'll all work out.

That was enlightening. The stuff that was less well known is the business arrangement between Frankel (his agent) and Uncle Dennis. Especially now that it seems like whatever Frankel had planned for Impact Sports has fallen apart. He's got no sports agency any more. Now he's probably in scramble mode, owes money all over town, and the only asset they have appears to be Kawhi. So his agent is up against it and he's got to leverage Leonard for as much cash as possible. Plus he's got his uncle gravy training him because none of the other agents would touch Uncle Dennis. So they don't get what they want from Nike and instead of the agent taking responsibility for the negotiation or the way they've marketed (or as the case is, not marketed) Kawhi, he blames the size of the SA market. Get Kawhi to LA or NY and he gets more cash is the sell.

Of course, none of that really explains why Kawhi couldn't get healthy enough to play. The idea that his injury is one more thing to blame on the Spurs in order to get him to a different market could be at play. But they know that he can't get the supermax anywhere else and the Spurs aren't going to give him up for less than equal value. Again, Spurs have all the leverage in this because of the last CBA.