Bastardizations that work

Walden Ponderer

Brisket does not need sauce. Every good Texan knows this. It is a basic fact of life. You can dab a little on the edges if you'd like, or, if you're putting it on a sandwich, you have a little more leeway, though, of course, not much. But the basic fact is, the meat speaks for itself. If it doesn't, it's not good barbecue.

In North Carolina, just finding a place that sells brisket to start with is a chore, so when you find a place like the Village Wayside Bar & Grille in Asheville that is actually run by a Texan, you think to yourself, holy hell, they just might do it right.

And then, you read the menu, and see that they only have one brisket offering. A sandwich. With a Cheerwine based sauce on it. That's a cherry soda, for y'all non-Southerners.

109406873_10158767569589479_6347343978108912154_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=3wrNpnzNmykAX_T2Ank&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=1f1bf23aa956e87e8ce2df94f150a7f3&oe=60045EE4

Thing is, it's actually a damned good sandwich. In spite of its heretical sauciness.

There's other bastardizations that seem to work -- Dr. Pepper is a pretty good marinade for stir fried chicken for example. Hmm... I'm sensing a carbonated beverage theme.

Anyway... what's your food combination or change-to-the-plan that in spite of violating God given food rules seems to work anyway?

Beans in chili.  I still don't do it for my own, but my long held outrage over it has waned considerably over the years.  If it works for you- and it does for many- go for it.

Peanut butter in a burger. I don't get why I like it, but I do.

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 1

Chicken Hanover at Island Grill in Houston (3 locations).  Cubed / grilled chicken, grilled mushrooms & red onion, hummus, tabouli, avacodo slices, a smatttering of raw walnuts and pita.  Tzatzki sauce on the side.  Add salt, pepper and Tabasco to your liking.

Very good and not particularly awful for you.

Do it.

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Sorry. On the burger.  I'm sure you could form two small patties around it before cooking (juicy lucy style) but that's not what I meant.

i figured it was as a spread, but how did you even manage to try that in the first place?  just thought it might taste good and gave it a shot?

There's a couple restaurants here in the twin cities that do it.

Here's a pic and a review from my favorite:

DxdX4OBXQAUJNXc?format=jpg&name=medium

Blue Door Pub's Jiffy Burger
Doesn't look too appetizing, does it? Well, wait till we tell you its secret ingredient and you'll think it's even worse: peanut butter. Yep, the stuff that toddlers eat with Wonder Bread and jelly or have worked into their hair by Mom trying to loosen a glob of chewing gum. Wrinkle your nose in disgust if you must, but hear us out, because Blue Door's Jiffy Burger is tasty enough to have captured last year's City Pages Best Burger prize. The improbable combination works in the same way Asian cuisine pairs beef with peanut sauce: nutty meets meaty, plus smoky bacon and pepper jack cheese means a rich, savory indulgence like no other among the Twin Cities burger scene. It'd probably also work as a gum-in-hair remover, though we wouldn't recommend it.

59 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i figured it was as a spread, but how did you even manage to try that in the first place?  just thought it might taste good and gave it a shot?

Hubcap in Houston has a legit burger with crunchy peanut butter, bacon and cheese.  Or try the version with grilled bananas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

There's a couple restaurants here in the twin cities that do it.

Here's a pic and a review from my favorite:

DxdX4OBXQAUJNXc?format=jpg&name=medium

Blue Door Pub's Jiffy Burger
Doesn't look too appetizing, does it? Well, wait till we tell you its secret ingredient and you'll think it's even worse: peanut butter. Yep, the stuff that toddlers eat with Wonder Bread and jelly or have worked into their hair by Mom trying to loosen a glob of chewing gum. Wrinkle your nose in disgust if you must, but hear us out, because Blue Door's Jiffy Burger is tasty enough to have captured last year's City Pages Best Burger prize. The improbable combination works in the same way Asian cuisine pairs beef with peanut sauce: nutty meets meaty, plus smoky bacon and pepper jack cheese means a rich, savory indulgence like no other among the Twin Cities burger scene. It'd probably also work as a gum-in-hair remover, though we wouldn't recommend it.

PB works very well on a burger. 

I also like Quality Meats App:

House-Cured Slab Bacon served with Peanut Butter & Jalapeno Jelly

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

@Walden Ponderer you may not be Deep South enough for this, but have you tried putting salt or salted peanuts in a Coca Cola?

No, I haven't, but I saw that at an old gas station on the Blue Ridge Parkway a few months ago. Weirded me out, to be honest. But hey, at least they were drinking Coke instead of Pepsi.

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

@Walden Ponderer you may not be Deep South enough for this, but have you tried putting salt or salted peanuts in a Coca Cola?

My father in-law wakes up every morning and, instead of coffee, dumps about a 1/4 cup of dry roasted peanuts into a 12 oz bottle of diet pepsi.  I think it's a hick thing more than a southern thing though, cause if he grew up any farther north he'd be Canadian.

• Haha 1

I hate Mayo but damn it makes the best crust. every time 

1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

You're the third person that's mentioned the grilled cheese + mayo thing within the last month to me.  Sounds like I need to give it a shot.

2 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

You're the third person that's mentioned the grilled cheese + mayo thing within the last month to me.  Sounds like I need to give it a shot.

It is excellent. Huge improvement over butter, and the outside of the grilled cheese is puffy and brown like perfect freedom toast.

Tried the Mayo grilled cheese tonight. Like it. 

Eta: I was watching a baking show and they put mayo in the cake mix. 
i just looked around online, and there’s recipes where it replaces egg, some where it replaces oil, some both, and some you add like 2 tablespoons in addition to what the recipe calls for. 
but apparently mayonnaise is the key to a moist chocolate cake. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Salt in sarsaparilla is an old grandma cure for sore throat in Taiwan.

2 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Mayo on outside of grilled cheese isn’t a bastardization. It’s just the better/correct way.

This.

And yes, it replaces both egg and oil in a baking recipe because...duh. But it is more oil than egg.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tried the Mayo grilled cheese tonight. Like it. 

Eta: I was watching a baking show and they put mayo in the cake mix. 
i just looked around online, and there’s recipes where it replaces egg, some where it replaces oil, some both, and some you add like 2 tablespoons in addition to what the recipe calls for. 
but apparently mayonnaise is the key to a moist chocolate cake. 

There are some recipes that call for an avocado. 

17 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

PB&J with bacon sammiches.  Love 'em when I need calories.  Used to make them all the time on ski trips and early mountain hike in/hike out hunts.  

Okay, this one actually has my attention. I'm gonna give it a whirl this weekend.

My wife does the mayo on grilled cheese thing. It's okay, I guess, but I still prefer the greasy "yes I'm coming for your arteries" honesty of a nice buttery outside on a grilled cheese. Purely aesthetic, though, because I do have to admit the mayo trick is certainly legit in terms of texture.

I ain't puttin' no damned nuts in my soda, though. Y'all are gross.