Bastardizations that work

Walden Ponderer

On 12/22/2020 at 11:23 AM, BHMCruiser said:

butter milk or regular milk?

either way no get out of here with that Yankee bullshit

My dad preferred it with buttermilk, but it was rarely available in our house, as he was the only one who would drink it.  He grew up on a farm outside Savoy, Texas.

With whole milk, he called it "cornbread and sweet milk".  He especially liked it for breakfast with any cornbread left over from the last night's supper.  Probably not a lot different from corn cereals.

24 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Frisco.  Haven't been in Austin since the late 90's.  Used to like the ones @ Kerbey Lane & Threadgills.  

i grew up in plano.  folks are still there so we go back now and then.  i like the FGT at whiskey cake.  actually i like most everything at whiskey cake.  

3 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

My dad preferred it with buttermilk, but it was rarely available in our house, as he was the only one who would drink it.  He grew up on a farm outside Savoy, Texas.

With whole milk, he called it "cornbread and sweet milk".  He especially liked it for breakfast with any cornbread left over from the last night's supper.  Probably not a lot different from corn cereals.

All of this is an important reminder to me that I am not from Texas and do not live in Texas and should not act like my experience in the Deep South is the same as the experience of people who grew up in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i grew up in plano.  folks are still there so we go back now and then.  i like the FGT at whiskey cake.  actually i like most everything at whiskey cake.  

Great place.  Been there so many times with friends, co-workers & vendors that I've had almost every item on the menu.  We rotate WK, Mi Dia, and Kona for lunches.  Italian place is decent as well.  

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

fried chicken does not belong with syrup.  never understood, never will.

History of chicken and waffles, Harlem, and the late night NY Jazz clubs is pretty cool to read up on.  Or the competing theories that it actually predates all that and had early slave origins in the deep south (as many traditional southern dishes date back to).

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

History of chicken and waffles, Harlem, and the late night NY Jazz clubs is pretty cool to read up on.  Or the competing theories that it actually predates all that and had early slave origins in the deep south (as many traditional southern dishes date back to).

Wow hopefully chicken and waffles don’t get canceled 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wow hopefully chicken and waffles don’t get canceled 

Jeez, no kidding.  Lots of fare started out a little wonky.  Texas' own Chicken friend steak (as I have heard) was a bastardized version from our German/Austrian ancestors take on Schnitzel but adapted for tougher cuts of meat.

Same with the history of Texas BBQ and the slow cooked brisket.  

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
23 minutes ago, Js1 said:
Plain maple, no. Needs good amount of heat. 

Maybe that's where I've gone wrong, I've never added heat. What do you use, tabasco? Cholula?

I don't like tabasco unless it's in a soup.

Cholula/Tapatio/Valentines all work as well as Louisiana Hot Sauce(Crystal preferably) 

just mix equal parts i've found best.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't like tabasco unless it's in a soup.

Cholula/Tapatio/Valentines all work as well as Louisiana Hot Sauce(Crystal preferably) 

just mix equal parts i've found best.

Any of those work but I prefer cholula or valentina

On 12/22/2020 at 8:32 AM, NOMAAA said:

peanut butter and jelly sandwich with cheetos, puffs or cheese balls in the middle.  A+ snack.

Huh, not a bad idea, I'm going to try that.

24 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Ketchup on cornbread as dessert after beans, soup, or chili and cornbread.  Awesomeness.

OK, cool. Not my thing, but sure, go for it.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:29 AM, BabaYaga said:

None of you southern farts ever mix your cornbread with a glass of milk and eat it with a spoon?  Learned this from gramps.  

Wait, seriously?

6 hours ago, TheUofTexas said:

Pickled jalapenos stuffed with peanut butter

Oh, come the fuck on! Now you assholes are just fucking with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rudiger said:

My grandfather toasted marshmallows and cheddar cheese on saltines. He also did cheddar on apple pie, which is a little more mainstream. Both are still good in my book. 

Sharp cheddar on apple pie is great, don't do it too often as I'm not a huge fan of apple pie, exceptions being the old style hand pies from McDs and currently at Popeye's. 

On 12/23/2020 at 12:44 PM, BabaYaga said:

Jeez, no kidding.  Lots of fare started out a little wonky.  Texas' own Chicken friend steak (as I have heard) was a bastardized version from our German/Austrian ancestors take on Schnitzel but adapted for tougher cuts of meat.

Same with the history of Texas BBQ and the slow cooked brisket.  

Yeah, I’d call schnitzel chicken fried pork. 

After eating a McRib this past weekend, I think a homemade McRib has infinitely more potential than the McDonald’s version. How do you mess up a pork cutlet with bbq sauce, pickles, and onions on a hoagie bun? 

On 12/21/2020 at 1:40 PM, TexasHooch said:

My father in-law wakes up every morning and, instead of coffee, dumps about a 1/4 cup of dry roasted peanuts into a 12 oz bottle of diet pepsi.  I think it's a hick thing more than a southern thing though, cause if he grew up any farther north he'd be Canadian.

Yeah, this is a hick thing.  I learned it in north Iowa as a kid.  Not exactly Southern.

Yeah, I’d call schnitzel chicken fried pork. 

After eating a McRib this past weekend, I think a homemade McRib has infinitely more potential than the McDonald’s version. How do you mess up a pork cutlet with bbq sauce, pickles, and onions on a hoagie bun? 

Slab BBQ has a deboned rib sandwich that’s pretty great.
  • Like 1

Pork rinds on salads instead of croutons, try it.
Cream cheese makes a good addition to poultry enchilada filling especially ground turkey.
This is foreign to Yankees but corn cooked in bacon fat with salt, sugar, and butter. My aunt even adds bell pepper. I add jalapeños. Delicious
Dad loved peanuts in his coke.

Cold sesame noodles sometimes are made with a peanut butter sauce and it’s delicious too.

No wonder I’m a pre-diabetic.

Wife sprinkles M&M's over buttery popcorn.  I didn't think I would like it but it's sweet and salty!  I found it better to have a little bowl of M&M's in the big popcorn bowl, that way you can get the appropriate ratio of one M&M to 2 or 3 popcorns.  

Is this where someone is going to mention fake crab meat and mayo sammiches?

Seriously, I will say Mac and Cheese and Worcestershire sauce. Specifically cheap boxed mac and cheese, don't do this one some glorious amped up Mac and Cheese. That being said, pretty much every time there's a giant bin of leftovers I'm going this route and eating it still cold. 

Fight me.