Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Username checks out. 

I guess it would check out from your perspective, with you being a faithful adherent to the scarlet and gray sect. I am sure that you would never understand anything I am saying. So, why dont you run along to your little Bucky board and sell dumb over there? We are all stocked up here.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:30 PM, Jabberwocky said:

It is really sad to see the history and reputation of a football program like Nebraska's be pimped out to cable providers and networks, as it is exploited by the likes of Ohio State, UMich, and Penn State. Their move to the B1G was as hasty and greedy as it was shortsighted. Nebraska has been turned into a paycheck for the elite of that conference, and nothing more. Now Nebraska has no conference authority, no reputation, no recruiting footprint, and no real connection to any of the other Universities in the B1G. I do not think they will ever climb out of this mess.

Great summary of exactly what has happened.  And I’m guessing, since it was the almighty Tom Osborne himself who brokered the deal and made the move, most people in Nebraska don’t realize it.  For a guy who brought them such short term success, he really fucked them hard in the long term.

I don’t even know if could be undone if they wanted to, but they should come crawling back to the Big12 with their hat in hand and tail between their legs begging us to let them back in.

• Like 2

They will occasionally compete for the right to lose the B1G CCG. They weren't ever going to be nationally relevant in the B12 either, and now they get a fatter media paycheck to go with their lifetime supply of 10-pound cans of suck. It is too late not to be classless on the way out the door. They are what they are now.

Had Nebraksa stayed and we just invited TCU or WVU to keep the conference at 10, they would have been in a much better position.

They would have annual games, not just 2 out of 4 years, against Texas and OU.  Those would be huge rivalry games for them.  Both are much better than the slop they play now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Had Nebraksa stayed and we just invited TCU or WVU to keep the conference at 10, they would have been in a much better position.

They would have annual games, not just 2 out of 4 years, against Texas and OU.  Those would be huge rivalry games for them.  Both are much better than the slop they play now.

Try telling them that. Most think that there move to the Rust Belt conference will only make them better long term.

Just now, Thiefery said:

Try telling them that. Most think that there move to the Rust Belt conference will only make them better long term.

They kind of have to say that now.  They went all in.  Like aggy with Fisher.  

Outside of Ohio State, Big 10 football is just horrible to watch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

They kind of have to say that now.  They went all in.  Like aggy with Fisher.  

Outside of Ohio State, Big 10 football is just horrible to watch.

I agree, but there's hope it's changing. One team with a fun offense to watch is Minnesota. They have three really good receivers in Tyler Johnson, Rashod Bateman, and Chris Autman-Bell. Their defense is soft though so they'll lose to PSU, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

I agree, but there's hope it's changing. One team with a fun offense to watch is Minnesota. They have three really good receivers in Tyler Johnson, Rashod Bateman, and Chris Autman-Bell. Their defense is soft though so they'll lose to PSU, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

have they been on TV once this year while rowing the boat?   I can't remember ever seeing them as an option.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:30 PM, Jabberwocky said:

It is really sad to see the history and reputation of a football program like Nebraska's be pimped out to cable providers and networks, as it is exploited by the likes of Ohio State, UMich, and Penn State. Their move to the B1G was as hasty and greedy as it was shortsighted. Nebraska has been turned into a paycheck for the elite of that conference, and nothing more. Now Nebraska has no conference authority, no reputation, no recruiting footprint, and no real connection to any of the other Universities in the B1G. I do not think they will ever climb out of this mess.

Agreed, Nebraska thinking that losing ties to all rivals wan't a dumb idea, all they had to do was see how all this worked out for Arkansas post 1991...

D4IG65YW4AA11gR?format=png&name=900x900

Now, the Huskers realize they lost ties to a recruiting hotbed state as Texas/ lost 2 old rivals in Colorado & Oklahoma, but gained the Minnesota "rivalry"...

think about the relative ceilings of Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska circa the year 2000

and now they're all roughly the same

that's some smart realignment, there, Nebraska

but I guess as long as the athletic department makes more TV money, what else could you as a fan ask for? I mean I know I personally would be jazzed if Texas could make another $10m, plow that extra money into women's sports, and lose eight football games a year and get blown out all the time. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

think about the relative ceilings of Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska circa the year 2000

and now they're all roughly the same

that's some smart realignment, there, Nebraska

but I guess as long as the athletic department makes more TV money, what else could you as a fan ask for? I mean I know I personally would be jazzed if Texas could make another $10m, plow that extra money into women's sports, and lose eight football games a year and get blown out all the time. 

WTF are you even talking about?!?!??!

Minnesota and Iowa are way fucking better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I mean I know I personally would be jazzed if Texas could make another $10m, plow that extra money into women's sports, and lose eight football games a year and get blown out all the time. 

You sound like the guy who is still bitter that his ex wives (Arkansas and Texas A&M?) walked out on him. 

Let it go, man. 

It's over.  We're not coming back.

• Fuck You 3

You guys are the Rosanne Barr of ex-wives....

...and yet you still keep driving past our house at 2 A.M. to see if anybody is parked in the driveway.  You guys need to concentrate on getting Texas A&M back and forget about the Huskers.  The Big 8  was always kind of a rebound thing after Arkansas anyhow.

I mean I know I personally would be jazzed if Texas could make another $10m, plow that extra money into women's sports, and lose eight football games a year and get blown out all the time. 
You sound like the guy who is still bitter that his ex wives (Arkansas and Texas A&M?) walked out on him. 
Let it go, man. 
It's over.  We're not coming back.

No shit. It’s been nine years. Let. It. Go. We sucked when we left. We suck now. Big 12 has nothing to do with it.

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe that's because they moved to tougher conferences/divisions.

yes, poor Colorado, poor Nebraska, how can they ever compete in the dog eat dog world of the Pac-12 South or the Big Ten Whatever

A&M's performing the same in the SEC West as they did in the Big 12. Missouri won their fucking division twice in their first three years in their tougher new conference/division. 

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

The difference is there was a high probability you would recover when you were in the Big 12.  In the B1G, there's not a chance in hell.

Bullshit.  Our ability to recover has nothing to do with the Big 12 or the Big 10.  

I love that folks on this board can simultaneously believe that :1) Texas was the cause of our decline from competitiveness and 2) Leaving a conference that has Texas is the cause for continuing our current status.  

Both can't be true.  As it turns out, neither is. 

I don't know of anyone around here that believes Texas caused Nebraska's competitive decline.

Plenty of people around here believe that Nebaska's many B12 losses to Texas were a driving factor in Nebraska leaving the conference, but those aren't the same thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I can't find it but on Saturday someone retweeted an exchange between an Nebraska fan and a Minnesota fan after Minnesota kicked the shit out of them.

Nebraska fan- yeah but how many national championships do you have?

Minnesota fan- 7

Nebraska fan- those were forever ago those don't even count....

Minnesota fan and the rest of us- 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

Our ability to recover has nothing to do with the Big 12 or the Big 10.  

Wrong. I explained this a page or two back. You're not in a conference where you play in any of the states you need to recruit from, and you're an afterthought in the Big Ten compared to your stature within the Big 8/Big 12. You regionalized yourselves. 

I don't know of anyone around here that believes Texas caused Nebraska's competitive decline.
Plenty of people around here believe that Nebaska's many B12 losses to Texas were a driving factor in Nebraska leaving the conference, but those aren't the same thing.

Not being able to recruit borderline criminals who couldn’t read and modernized offenses were reasons for their decline. That Texas pipeline would have definitely helped them. I’m too lazy but how many Texans are on Iowa State’s roster? That would be a good comparison.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Not being able to recruit borderline criminals who couldn’t read and modernized offenses were reasons for their decline. That Texas pipeline would have definitely helped them. I’m too lazy but how many Texans are on Iowa State’s roster? That would be a good comparison.

At worst, they should have been able to recruit Texas as well as Mizzou did.  Pinkel had a bunch of good TX HS players on his roster when they left for the SEC.  The weird thing is that Nebraska didn't really even attempt going all-in on Texas recruiting until Pelini took over.  They should have made that a priority on Day 1.  Even so, Pelini was doing reasonably well (on paper) with TX HS recruiting before they switched conferences.  Imagine if they'd hired a likable coach with TX HS ties?

If they rejoined the Big 12, their ceiling immediately gets higher.  Winning, the hope of winning big, and all the merch sales and ticket price hikes that go with it, would offset the media rights money to a big degree, I'd think.  

Texas has a lot of high school talent.  Texas has a lot of colleges recruiting that high school.  Having a "TX" after the high school does not make the player better. 

Nebraska did not build to elite status on Texas talent.  Turner Gil was the best player out of Texas that I can recall.  Going off the top of my head: Frazier - Florida, Rozier - New Jersey; Lawrence Phillips - California;  Ahman Green, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch - Nebraska.  You want to talk about the "success" of the Pelini era?  Ok.  Ameer Abdullah - Georgia, Roy Helu - Cal, Suh - Oregon, T-mart- Cal.   

You guys start with the premise that Nebraska must recruit Texas to be successful.  The premise is wrong.  Yes, Pelini had an enhanced focus on Texas.  But, he was a bad recruiter.  He did not bring in top talent.  Occasionally, he'd land a guy like T. Martinez, who flashed brilliance at times, but then at other times you'd realize why very few programs recruited his as QB .  Callahan, whose classes were ranked higher than Pelini and brought in many of the higher ranked recruits that staffed Pelini's early rosters, did not focus on Texas.  Osborne, whose classes put any other Nebraska coach to shame, did not focus on Texas.  But Osborne had two things going for him in recruiting: he was consistently successful and he was recruiting for an atypical offense, which got him access to the highest rated "dual threat" QBs.  That has nothing to do with the Big 12 or the Big 10.    

• Hook 'Em 1

Correction: Abdullah was Alabama, not Georgia.  

This is a list of the highest rated recruits over the last 15-20 years.  It includes the time in the Big 12.  It includes Pelini's focus on the Big 12.  There are some good players from Texas, but there is no drop from 2010.  And, as with most states, many of the top recruits never panned out for whatever reason.    

247Sports