Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

19 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I really thought Frost was a great hire.  Seemed like he was a good coach and because he’s “their guy,” he’s be given every opportunity to succeed.  Man, what a disaster thus far. Husker fans have to be in absolute hell. 

Personally, I'm enjoying this bit of schadenfreude way more than is probably healthy for me, after the butthurt way they left the Big XII over a decade ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Well the best games would be Mich, OSU and Iowa, but it would also be nice to possibly see a win so I'd probably go with NW, Purdue and Iowa

There's gotta be 1 win there right?

right?

Your selection could likely be 2-1. Michigan, OSU and Iowa is probably 0-3.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Frost goes into next year needing to turn the corner to keep his job.  Not sure how he will attract any good offensive coaches (needs 4 now) or recruits.  Will be rebuilding team with discount bin assistant coaches and adding to team through transfer portal.  What could go wrong?

Translation, “We don’t think we can get a good coach this cycle.”

it’s probably not a terrible play. Replacing Frost with another mediocre option doesn’t solve anything. 

I’m really interested to see what LSU and USC do. The coaching market is shit. 

Edited by texasstrong12

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Translation, “We don’t think we can get a good coach this cycle.”

it’s probably not a terrible play. Replacing Frost with another mediocre option doesn’t solve anything. 

I’m really interested to see what LSU and USC do. The coaching market is shit. 

Tom Herman to USC? Most of his players are there anyway, oh Orlando too.

Yeah, but what proven P5 coaches are out there that you can get? 

Hell, the market just gets smaller every year. Mullen was one of the names thrown around in all these coaching searches, at a P5 school, and nobody wants him now. 

Mel Tucker, Kiffin, Campbell, Franklin types could work out but that's the top tier of the P5 coaches you might be able to get for USC and LSU. Which is pretty bad. I guess Brian Kelly is also mentioned at USC. 

Edited by texasstrong12

16 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

How do you fire the entire offensive staff with games left to play? Are they going to have GA’s coach all the offensive positions and Frost be the OC?

Kinda my thinking.  I assume that maybe they have some offensive analysts on staff that can be put into action as well.  Or hell, just let Martinez call plays himself.  What could possibly go wrong.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

22 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

How do you fire the entire offensive staff with games left to play? Are they going to have GA’s coach all the offensive positions and Frost be the OC?

Here's the answer:

https://theathletic.com/2945458/2021/11/09/whats-next-for-scott-frost-and-the-huskers-after-an-eventful-monday-at-nebraska/

Speaking of fill-in assistants, Nebraska needs a few, starting this week to help with recruiting (and presumably practice) and to coach against Wisconsin and Iowa. Senior analyst Ron Brown, a former longtime assistant coach, appears a likely fit, along with senior analyst Frank Verducci and defensive analyst Bill Busch, another former full-time coach at Nebraska, LSU, Utah and Wisconsin. Frost might also look to quality control assistant Steve Cooper, who has worked with the offense, and offensive analysts Keanon Lowe and Mike Cassano.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nebraska comes up a lot on the local talk radio and some of the other feeds I listen to. One of the big things Scott Frost did wrong when he started at Nebraska was with the physicality, the size and strength of the offensive and defensive lines. His teams get pushed around by teams regularly. In the B1G West especially, its a game of big guys on the lines as opposed to skill players on the edges. PJ Fleck understood this and started signing 400 pound guys to play guard and lines up a fullback every now and then. Wisconsin and the new Bert regime at Illinois are both building their teams around o-line play. The weather in Nebraska is suited for run option football, the wind and cold makes passing difficult and scores are low. They need big guys, and lots of them. Their quarterback could be great but he is running for his life all the time. They can't get first downs in the second half when they have a lead.

On 11/8/2021 at 5:36 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, but what proven P5 coaches are out there that you can get? 

Gary Patterson will be tanned, rested, and ready by the time Frost gets let go mid-season next year.  His style of coaching fits perfectly there.  

14 minutes ago, nnm said:

Gary Patterson will be tanned, rested, and ready by the time Frost gets let go mid-season next year.  His style of coaching fits perfectly there.  

Gary Patterson has been bad for a few years now. Maybe he just needs a new landing spot but Patterson is a .500 coach over the last 4 seasons. 

He’s also a meh recruiter which is a big problem at Nebraska right now. 

I actually don’t hate the idea because there aren’t many better options but that says how shit the coaching market is vs Nebraska making a good hire. 

11 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

the old "we keep you a bit longer with a much shittier contract"......seemed to work for Michigan so far

Michigan has been solid pretty much every year under Harbaugh, though. Much more similar to Pelini's teams than Frost's. 

Granted Michigan is probably a lot easier to win at at this point.

Edited by ztejas

• 2 weeks later...