Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

They have lost 9 of the last 10 meetings to Texas, 5 on their own field, and trail significantly in the series 4-10 overall.  They won their first championship and began their prominence after Texas already had won and started theirs and have yet to win one since Texas won another in 20005.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

A shit stain on the universe.

Hypocrites.  Liars.  Helped create the instability in the Big 10, and then tried to pin the blame on someone else while they ran off to a paycheck and irrelevancy.  Stabbed their historic partners in the back and acts like they were forced into it.  Did nothing to help stabilize the Big 12 prior to leaving.

Their fans, and really the entire culture of the state, sans for some fun parts of Omaha and Lincoln, are stuck in 1995.  They think they're a blue blood and a true nationally relevant program.  They worship Tom Osborne.  They still wear fanny packs and t-shirts from Wal Mart.  They think Runza is really fucking good.  They play Keno.  Attending a game at Memorial Stadium is like walking into a church service of a different religion and being completely befuddled as to what's going on.  They suck at tailgating.

They like to refer to themselves as the "Greatest Fans in College Football".  Lots of people will thank you for coming to Lincoln, but only when they win.  They act nice, but it's so obviously disingenuous.  They think they really are the best people that watch this game.

I've enjoyed watching them become completely irrelevant in the cum dumpster that is the Big 10 West.  Iowa is the only road trip within 6 hours of Lincoln.  They have no history with anyone in the Big 10, and they rarely play Michigan, Ohio State, or Pedo.  But they have that check and they told Texas to fuck off, or something like that.

Fuck Nebraska.

They were actually nice fans but after a few years a few cracks in the façade started to appear.

Their love of Runza, as mentioned above. That shit is fucking foul.

I was once waiting to get into an Ames bar and a fight almost broke out because this one kid (ISU student) proclaimed that even though he goes to Iowa State, he's a Nebraska football fan. WHAT THE FUCK? Yes, this is when both teams were still in the Big 12. It doesn't really matter though. There are also a lot of Nebraska fans who adopted Duke as their favorite basketball team in the 90s. Wow, way to go out on a limb, dipshits.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

They were actually nice fans but after a few years a few cracks in the façade started to appear.

I was once waiting to get into an Ames bar and a fight almost broke out because this one kid (ISU student) proclaimed that even though he goes to Iowa State, he's a Nebraska football fan. WHAT THE FUCK? Yes, this is when both teams were still in the Big 12. It doesn't really matter though. There are also a lot of Nebraska fans who adopted Duke as their favorite basketball team in the 90s. Wow, way to go out on a limb, dipshits.

Dipshits from Western Iowa often cheer for Nebraska.  They come from generations of weak willed cowards who were unable to embrace the institutions of their home state because they needed validation from victories.  So they globbed on to the "GO BIG RED" tomfucckery because they suck.

This kid also could have been from Nebraska.  I knew two guys at Iowa State from Nebraska who still cheered for the Huskers.  One of them (actually one of my best friends) walked it off.  He still roots for them a little, but he'd never cheer for them over ISU.  The other one was a fairly cool guy who softened his stance, but probably puts Nebraska first.  In their defense, they were both Nebraska natives.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Hypocrites.  Liars.  Helped create the instability in the Big 10, and then tried to pin the blame on someone else while they ran off to a paycheck and irrelevancy.  Stabbed their historic partners in the back and acts like they were forced into it.  Did nothing to help stabilize the Big 12 prior to leaving.

Their fans, and really the entire culture of the state, sans for some fun parts of Omaha and Lincoln, are stuck in 1995.  They think they're a blue blood and a true nationally relevant program.  They worship Tom Osborne.  They still wear fanny packs and t-shirts from Wal Mart.  They think Runza is really fucking good.  They play Keno.  Attending a game at Memorial Stadium is like walking into a church service of a different religion and being completely befuddled as to what's going on.  They suck at tailgating.

They like to refer to themselves as the "Greatest Fans in College Football".  Lots of people will thank you for coming to Lincoln, but only when they win.  They act nice, but it's so obviously disingenuous.  They think they really are the best people that watch this game.

I've enjoyed watching them become completely irrelevant in the cum dumpster that is the Big 10 West.  Iowa is the only road trip within 6 hours of Lincoln.  They have no history with anyone in the Big 10, and they rarely play Michigan, Ohio State, or Pedo.  But they have that check and they told Texas to fuck off, or something like that.

Fuck Nebraska.

So true.  I have nothing to add

• Like 1

Our last trip to Lincoln I walked out of the stadium thanking the College Football Gods that I would never have to return to Lincoln, Nebraska - ever - again.  To put the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval on those sentiments an elderly Husker fan must have seen the smile on my face and cut a beeline through the crowd to plant herself in front of me to give me an earful.  She promptly told me to fuck off and that despite the results was had observed just a few paces away, that we sucked and Nebraska would kick our ass in the Big 12 Championship Game.

To which I just smiled and politely explained that her beloved Huskers had just lost to the worst Longhorn team in the better part of a decade, with Garrett Gilbert at quarterback.  Not only did Texas have no business winning in Lincoln that day, but that there wasn't even a snowball's chance in hell there would be an opportunity for a grudge match in the title game.  In fact, you probably even won't live long enough to see Nebraska and Texas play again.

It makes me warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

This.  Straight up blind taste test and Ohio sweet corn destroys that ethanol product they grow in Nebraska

You gotta compare sweet corn to sweet corn.  Field corn is a totally different animal.

Corn talk not going away.

But I agree with your general "fuck Nebraska" sentiment.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Fuck Nebraska.

Ahhh, the Iowa-Nebraska state hate. In Nebraska the joke is, "What does IOWA stand for? Idiots Out Walking Around" i think Osbourne is a bad person  and filled his kids w/steroids. Outside of that it was fun to watch us own them and it  continues as they  flail about in the B10. I wouldn't mind seeing them coming to a level that throws a corncob into osu, um,wi parade. That conference is as bad as the sec in terms of finagling with schedules so that the few good teams they have don't play each other. That's how Iowa is relevant every few years.

• Like 1

Two of the greatest "fuck you, Nebraska" moments, courtesy of heartbreaking defensive stops in Lincoln.

First, Nathan Vasher with the game-saving INT in 2002 (which was the day before my first date with Mrs. South Austin).

Second, Aaron Ross forces a fumble in a potentially clock-milking game-saving Nebraska drive.  A walk-on kicker from Anderson High then boots the game-winning field goal in the final seconds in what looked like falling snow, but was in fact frozen Nebraska tears.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 1

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/04/92718/urban-meyer-jim-harbaugh-scared-scott-frost

From Chris Heady of The Omaha World-Herald (emphasis ours):

“You’ve got Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh thinking, ‘We better put a little more into that Nebraska game coming up.’ And that's the way we want it. They're running a little bit scared right now. And they won't admit it. We'll leave that at that.”

No mention of '99?  That was the motherfuckin dagger.  Nebraska was the best team in the country by the end of the year.  Mauled defending NC Tennessee in the bowl game.  

Nebraska fumbled 137 times inside the Texas 10 yard line en route to a 24-20 loss, the only blemish on the year.

That was #6 wrapped up bitches.  Fuck you, fuck you and fuck you.  

Hunter Lawrence Photos»Photostream
Main
Articles
Pictures

Big 12 Championship - Nebraska v Texas

Big 12 Championship - Nebraska v Texas
In This Photo: Hunter Lawrence
Hunter Lawrence #15 of the Texas Longhorns watches the ball after kicking the game-winning field goal to win the game 13-12 over the Nebraska Cornhuskers at Cowboys Stadium on December 5, 2009 in Arlington, Texas.
(Dec. 4, 2009 - Source: Jamie Squire/Getty Images North America) 

00:01. The. Kick.

A great burgeoning rivalry that was ended due to NU leaving old conference mates of Texas/ Oklahoma & Kansas behind...

Edited by kopp0e

19 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The army sent my grandfather to Nebraska for a semester or two during WW2. He said the girls were ugly and cornfed. As with Battle of the Bulge and Okinawa survivors, he didn't like to talk about it much. 

Holy shit, what did your grandfather do to be sent to Nebraska?  Did he kill an officer?

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The army sent my grandfather to Nebraska for a semester or two during WW2. He said the girls were ugly and cornfed. As with Battle of the Bulge and Okinawa survivors, he didn't like to talk about it much. 

Lincoln is the only major college town I've been to where there were more ugly chicks than hot.

I find the "women from ______ are hotter" conversation to be 95% bullshit and an extension of "my patch of dirt is better than your patch of dirt", but not when it's about Nebraska.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Holy shit, what did your grandfather do to be sent to Nebraska?  Did he kill an officer?

All I ever heard about came from my grandmother: "The army didn't know what to do with him." They tried to make a codebreaker out of him. He was in the 10th Mountain Division for awhile. At some point he wrecked his back in a base football game and so never went overseas and wore a brace for the next 60 years. He did tell me once that most of the dudes he trained with in the 10th did not make it back home. 

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

All I ever heard about came from my grandmother: "The army didn't know what to do with him." They tried to make a codebreaker out of him. He was in the 10th Mountain Division for awhile. At some point he wrecked his back in a base football game and so never went overseas and wore a brace for the next 60 years. He did tell me once that most of the dudes he trained with in the 10th did not make it back home. 

Well, at least the dudes he trained with in the 10th never had to live in Nebraska.

• Like 1

Nebraska just hired the best coach in college football, things are already changing in Lincoln. If the spring game is any indication, this will be the fastest tempo team in all of college football next season. Scott Frost is the real deal, he knows how to coach and how to get to players and interact with the media.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

We can talk all the shit about Nebraska we want, but Frost for them is every bit on par with Herman for UT.  Buncha glass house livin mother fuckers if you think otherwise.

My house is a masonry/Hardie siding combo. Fuck Nebraska and fuck Frost.

qZBMQD9.png

• The white bar for represents Nebraska Pre-Season AP Poll Ranking and Nebraska's Highest AP Poll Ranking for that season.
  • The Circled :Nsmilie: Logo represents Nebraska's final Post-Season AP Poll Ranking.
  • The Green and Red arrows on each bar represent where Nebraska started the season, and indicate whether Nebraska rose/fell past the original Pre-Season Ranking.
  • Seasons WITHOUT any arrow mean that Nebraska FINISHED the season EXACTLY at their same Pre-Season Rank.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:42 PM, Longboard Horn said:

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
SPORTS
Nebraska Football’s Enduring Identity Crisis

The Cornhuskers fired athletic director Shawn Eichorst this week. Head coach Mike Riley might be next. The program keeps changing course in an attempt to reclaim its spot atop the college football pecking order, but is a return to glory even possible?

By Jonathan Tjarks Sep 22, 2017, 9:15am EDT
SHARE Getty Images/Ringer illustration
There’s an old saying that only two things matter to the people in Nebraska: the weather and the Cornhuskers. My dad grew up on a farm near Hastings, a small town about a hundred miles west of Lincoln on Interstate 80. He was two years behind Tom Osborne, the legendary Nebraska head football coach, at Hastings High School, and shared his passion for the sport. Some of my earliest memories are watching the Big Red Machine tear through teams from all over the country, one option run at a time. From 1993 to 1997, the Huskers went an unfathomable 60-3 and won three national titles. Given everything that’s happened since, that feels like a lifetime ago. For the players the program is now trying to recruit, it might as well be.

I was 9 years old the last time Nebraska won a national championship. The Huskers haven’t won a conference title since Bill Clinton was president. On Thursday, five days after an embarrassing 21-17 home loss to Northern Illinois, the school fired athletic director Shawn Eichorst. Times have changed in Lincoln, and no one knows how to turn back the clock.

Nebraska is 16-13 in two-plus seasons under head coach Mike Riley, who Eichorst hired to replace Bo Pelini in December 2014. Football coaches and ADs tend to go in pairs, and Eichorst picked the wrong guy. Riley was an unexpected hire who’d spent the previous 14 years at Oregon State, where he went 85-66 from 2003 to ’14. And without the man who brought him to Lincoln, Riley faces long odds to retain his job beyond this season. In the press release announcing Eichorst’s ouster, Nebraska chancellor Ronnie Green said that the school’s fans “deserve leadership that drives the highest level of competitiveness.” To quote Clint Eastwood, though, deserve got nothing to do with it.

This might just be the loss that puts Nebraska back in the national spotlight, as if Riley wins that & 1 or 2 more games last fall, Frost might be the coach at Florida now...

On April 27, 2018 at 6:17 PM, Landomatic said:

We can talk all the shit about Nebraska we want, but Frost for them is every bit on par with Herman for UT.  Buncha glass house livin mother fuckers if you think otherwise.

The first thing Frost did was to go out and sign a stud freshman QB who is perfectly suited to run his offense.