Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

A shit stain on the universe.
Hypocrites.  Liars.  Helped create the instability in the Big 12, and then tried to pin the blame on someone else while they ran off to a paycheck and irrelevancy.  Stabbed their historic partners in the back and acts like they were forced into it.  Did nothing to help stabilize the Big 12 prior to leaving.
Their fans, and really the entire culture of the state, sans for some fun parts of Omaha and Lincoln, are stuck in 1995.  They think they're a blue blood and a true nationally relevant program.  They worship Tom Osborne.  They still wear fanny packs and t-shirts from Wal Mart.  They think Runza is really fucking good.  They play Keno.  Attending a game at Memorial Stadium is like walking into a church service of a different religion and being completely befuddled as to what's going on.  They suck at tailgating.
They like to refer to themselves as the "Greatest Fans in College Football".  Lots of people will thank you for coming to Lincoln, but only when they win.  They act nice, but it's so obviously disingenuous.  They think they really are the best people that watch this game.
I've enjoyed watching them become completely irrelevant in the cum dumpster that is the Big 10 West.  Iowa is the only road trip within 6 hours of Lincoln.  They have no history with anyone in the Big 10, and they rarely play Michigan, Ohio State, or Pedo.  But they have that check and they told Texas to fuck off, or something like that.
Fuck Nebraska.

At some point , please let us know your true thoughts on the matter.
J/k.... on point sir.
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, Nolacycling said:

Ahhh, the Iowa-Nebraska state hate. In Nebraska the joke is, "What does IOWA stand for? Idiots Out Walking Around" 

In Iowa the joke is The University of Nebraska.

Frost is going to make a monster in Lincoln.  If he had zero ties to Nebraska he'd be outstanding, with the ties he'll become the closest thing UNL fans will get to Tom Osborne.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

Frost is going to make a monster in Lincoln.  If he had zero ties to Nebraska he'd be outstanding, with the ties he'll become the closest thing UNL fans will get to Tom Osborne.  

He won’t build shit. 

On 4/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, Nolacycling said:

Ahhh, the Iowa-Nebraska state hate. In Nebraska the joke is, "What does IOWA stand for? Idiots Out Walking Around" 

I use that as self deprecating humor all the time.  The better quesion is "Why does the corn in Iowa lean west?  Because Nebraska sucks"

4 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

What difference do ties to Nebraska make? It's not exactly a recruiting hotbed.

1 hour ago, TXpride said:

1 hour ago, TXpride said:

I mean his ability to raise money which will be on a scale not seen in Lincoln, ever.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

He won’t build shit. 

From your keyboard to God's ear...but if he runs UNL like he ran UCF he'll be in the B1G Championship game often.

Edited by SnowAggy

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, TornACL said:

I was once waiting to get into an Ames bar and a fight almost broke out because this one kid (ISU student) proclaimed that even though he goes to Iowa State, he's a Nebraska football fan. WHAT THE FUCK? Yes, this is when both teams were still in the Big 12. It doesn't really matter though. There are also a lot of Nebraska fans who adopted Duke as their favorite basketball team in the 90s. Wow, way to go out on a limb, dipshits.

Um, Iowa and Nebraska are next to each other.  It's about 3 hours from Omaha to Ames, and ISU has really solid engineering program - particularly mechanical engineering.  So there a bunch of kids from Omaha, and eastern Nebraska in general, who go to ISU. Hell, there are bunch of Husker fans in western Iowa. Do you really think a Husker fan is suddenly going to prefer the Cyclones?

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I heard an interview with Scott Frost before their Spring game. I texted one of my Husker buddies, asking him if he thought Frost was the real deal. His response didn’t mention lunch pails:

“Frost is the real deal. Going to bring back physical play and blue collar attitude.”

I like the Frost hire, but that particular accolade seems misplaced considering the offensive style.  The first time we lose a game where they fail to convert on a 1st and goal, with all of the plays being run out of the shotgun, the fan base is going to lose their shit.  You'll be able to play bingo with the message board criticisms at that point with "that offense won't work in Lincoln" having the center square.  I'm a Husker fan, but we, like Texas and ISU, have our share of idiot fans.

Edited by Tuco
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Um, Iowa and Nebraska are next to each other.  It's about 3 hours from Omaha to Ames, and ISU has really solid engineering program - particularly mechanical engineering.  So there a bunch of kids from Omaha, and eastern Nebraska in general, who go to ISU. Hell, there are bunch of Husker fans in western Iowa. Do you really think a Husker fan is suddenly going to prefer the Cyclones?

You don't keep rooting for a different school once you go to college. 

What the hell is the matter with you? 

I guess you wouldn't find it poor form if a kid grew up an Aggie fan and then kept rooting for A&M while getting his undergrad at UT? 

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

I guess you wouldn't find it poor form if a kid grew up an Aggie fan and then kept rooting for A&M while getting his undergrad at UT? 

Sadly, I've met a fair number of people who do just that.

2 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Actually, I did keep rooting for Nebraska while going to a different school.  But, please, explain these rules to me.  What if the school you went to doesn't have a football team, or a FBS football team.  If you go to undergrad, masters, and doctorate at three different schools, are you required to throw out your fan gear each time you move.  I'm really curious about the arbitrary rules of fandom. 

56 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Tuco has a good point.  Iowa and Iowa State together have better academic programs than every single one on campus in Lincoln. 

Just now, SnowAggy said:

??? I thought you went elsewhere for school?

Hope UNL has invited this dude in to speak.  These are fucking awesome.

My daughter goes to UNL.  I figure that buys me the right to say "our." (She's studying microbiology, not quilts.)

4 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I for one miss Nebraska.  We could use all the guaranteed wins we can get these days.

No shit.  Mack Brown had his faults, but the guy owned Nebraska.  And say what you want about Nebraska's decline from dominance, but Lincoln was still a damn tough place to play during their time in the Big XII, and Mack was 4-0 there (1998, 2002, 2006, and 2010).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

I like the Frost hire, but that particular accolade seems misplaced considering the offensive style.  The first time we lose a game where they fail to convert on a 1st and goal, with all of the plays being run out of the shotgun, the fan base is going to lose their shit.  You'll be able to play bingo with the message board criticisms at that point with "that offense won't work in Lincoln" having the center square.  I'm a Husker fan, but we, like Texas and ISU, have our share of idiot fans.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Just now, SnowAggy said:

Well, hopefully she ends up in Iowa City for Medical School.  Creighton would do...

She's not planning on med school, but Nebraska Medicine (part of UN system, in Omaha) is excellent for multiple aspects.  That's one of the places they sent ebola patients a few years ago.  She did a research internship there.  I have no idea if their doctor training program is good, but I would imagine it would be considering the other aspects. UNL doesn't have a medical school.  

Cheering against your school is bush league.  I rooted for both Iowa and ISU growing up (had a parent attend each), and dropped that Hawkeye shit about 10 minutes after I got on campus.

I remember this kid who lived in my dorm at ISU.  Draped himself from head to toe in Iowa gear, every single day.  He was also, always, alone.  Ate lunch alone.  Never went to parties.  Sat by himself on the campus bus.

You make that bed, you sleep in it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

6 hours ago, Tuco said:

Actually, I did keep rooting for Nebraska while going to a different school.  But, please, explain these rules to me.  What if the school you went to doesn't have a football team, or a FBS football team.  If you go to undergrad, masters, and doctorate at three different schools, are you required to throw out your fan gear each time you move.  I'm really curious about the arbitrary rules of fandom. 

The rules are simple. If it makes you feel kinda like a dipshit, then it's probably a dipshit way to be. 

So congrats, dipshit. 

14 minutes ago, TornACL said:

The rules are simple. If it makes you feel kinda like a dipshit, then it's probably a dipshit way to be. 

So congrats, dipshit. 

Nebraska fans don't typically have the sort of self awareness required to achieve such introspection.  

Edited by SnowAggy

13 hours ago, South Austin said:

No shit.  Mack Brown had his faults, but the guy owned Nebraska.  And say what you want about Nebraska's decline from dominance, but Lincoln was still a damn tough place to play during their time in the Big XII, and Mack was 4-0 there (1998, 2002, 2006, and 2010).

Tough venue maybe, but I wouldn't say '98 and '02 were tough teams to play against.  2006 and 2010 were better teams.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, Machinator said:
Lose center Michael Decker to medical retirement. He was the starter last year before injury.

Offensive line and defensive secondary are two of the biggest concerns going into this year.  So, a loss there hurts.  I believe Decker was a starter on and off, which was part of the struggles the o-line had.  I think the o-line has some talent, with Farmer being a kid who shows flashes of greatness.  But we haven't built great depth and there have been hints of a lack of conditioning from the last regime.  Decker's reference to the "commitments" may be in regards to increased expectations in the weight room, or it might just be that the year to year grind was hurting his academic performance, when it was understood that he didn't have much chance to eventually make money from it.  I don't know much about Decker, but I certainly won't fault any kid who thinks the classes are more important than the game, because they are. 

Apparently Nebraska wants to put us and KSU back on the schedule.

Must need that SOS boost.  I'm all about "fuck the traitors", but I'd love to bring them into Jack Trice as long as Campbell is still here.  That atmosphere would be absolutely electric.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Apparently Nebraska wants to put us and KSU back on the schedule.

Must need that SOS boost.  I'm all about "fuck the traitors", but I'd love to bring them into Jack Trice as long as Campbell is still here.  That atmosphere would be absolutely electric.

Link?

That'd be cool.  The shittiest thing about being in the Big 10 is that outside of Iowa, we don't have any conference opponents that are in day trip distance.  I think that cuts down on the road game opportunities for fans, particularly the students. It'd be great to get some P5 teams on the schedule that are in a 300 mile radius.  (Non-P5 are irrelevant, because we aren't going to play in their house, for the most part.)

The article is poorly written though.  It's dependent on the Big 10 dropping from 9 conference games to 8, which it says won't happen until 2022 at the earliest.  Then it speculates whether K-State or ISU would be willing to bump one of their 2020 opponents for Nebraska.  Edit: also, since they mention Colorado as a possibility, it would make sense to mention that Nebraska is playing Colorado this year.

Edited by Tuco

17 minutes ago, Tuco said:

That'd be cool.  The shittiest thing about being in the Big 10 is that outside of Iowa, we don't have any conference opponents that are in day trip distance.  I think that cuts down on the road game opportunities for fans, particularly the students. It'd be great to get some P5 teams on the schedule that are in a 300 mile radius.  (Non-P5 are irrelevant, because we aren't going to play in their house, for the most part.)

The article is poorly written though.  It's dependent on the Big 10 dropping from 9 conference games to 8, which it says won't happen until 2022 at the earliest.  Then it speculates whether K-State or ISU would be willing to bump one of their 2020 opponents for Nebraska.  Edit: also, since they mention Colorado as a possibility, it would make sense to mention that Nebraska is playing Colorado this year.

Don't disagree.  Just how it came to my attention.

I think it would be a ways out.  FWIW, I don't think the Big 10 will drop to an 8 game schedule unless they have some kind of guaranteed scheduling alliance with another P5 league.