Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

There are no cuts to athletics at UNL. I never accused you of blaming media revenue to the athletic dept. as a cause of the academic budget shortfalls. We know those are due to cuts in funding by the governor. What you said is that media revenues to the athletic dept. will help to mitigate the situation. They won't. The budget cuts have nothing to do with Husker athletics. They would still be happening even if they had never left the Big 12. And no, you weren't talking about how the move to the B1G helped the Nebraska economy nor pointing to anyone who said it did. We can all see what you said. It's on this page. 

Here's what I think happened: You just read the headline and thought Nebraska Cornhusker athletics were suffering. Experiencing jilted lover syndrome, you thought, "Ha ha! That move to the B1G didn't help you so much afterall, did it? I'll bet you regret leaving us now!" You rushed to post (just) a link and share your schadenfreude. Then you provided a completely incorrect analysis. And yes, you should be able to see why people interpreted the words you said as meaning what they mean. It's what you said. You're just backtracking, although I think it's possible that you still don't understand the situation. 

That could be fair depending on how I respond with a non descriptive analysis on how technically I was somehow right in this conversation...

But I would still then know that I was wrong in how I misrepresented the article in conjunction with my interpretation of said situation at Nebraska...

WhatTheBuck - 1 / kopp0e - 0...

I shall get you next time..! Mwahahaha...

38 minutes ago, lateshow said:

The fuck is runza?

Cabbage and ground beef sandwiches sold through a chain restaurant also called Runza based in Nebraska (some Iowa and Kansas locations as well).

Only Osborne has higher cult status there

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Cabbage and ground beef sandwiches sold through a chain restaurant also called Runza based in Nebraska (some Iowa and Kansas locations as well).

Only Osborne has higher cult status there

Bullshit. Dorothy Lynch salad dressing completes the trinity. 

5 hours ago, camel at sea said:

With all that talk of getting KU, KSU, and ISU on their schedule, maybe Moos is putting up some fan sentiment trial balloons about going home.

ISU won't be on the football schedule.  We're tethered to Iowa and there won't be any ISU schedules with two B1G teams on it for the foreseeable future.  If you're referring to basketball; that doesn't move the needle for UNL fans at all.  Universities don't leave the big ten.  UNL is home now. They're the dumbest child who occasionally gets a pat on the head for doing a good job at that one thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, camel at sea said:

I still maintain their home run recruiting situation was to end up in a 10 team Big 12.  If they'd just waited a couple of extra weeks before accepting that B1G invite it might have happened.  They never relied heavily on TX recruiting in the past because they didn't need to with the Prop 48 players they used to bring in.  But 4 games against TX schools every year would give them a chance to build real pipelines in Texas.  That situation also gives them annual games with OU and Texas - which are both more exciting for their fans than anyone on their annual schedule now.  Travel would be easier.  Basketball and baseball would be upgraded. 

Who knows.  With all that talk of getting KU, KSU, and ISU on their schedule, maybe Moos is putting up some fan sentiment trial balloons about going home.

No, it's not going to happen.  Moos doesn't have that authority and there is zero chance the Regents would be on board. Football opened the door for Nebraska, but that's not why they walked through it. 

And if it was all about Texas recruits, then Texas would be doing much better.  Texas has had two former Nebraska o-coordinators, and the results have been similar despite the dazzling aura of Texas recruits.  [I think Beck will have more success.] We both have been outperformed by programs with less recruiting pull.  Nebraska's path to relevancy isn't complicated: get a good coach, have some success, use that success for better recruiting, have better success, repeat if possible.

4 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

Universities don't leave the big ten.  UNL is home now. They're the dumbest child who occasionally gets a pat on the head for doing a good job at that one thing.

This guy gets it. 

Edited by Tuco

The B1G said publicly that they were worried about Penn State leaving.  So I'm not all in on the idea that "nobody leaves the Big 10."  Unlikely?  Sure.  Never?  I don't buy that.

As for whether Texas recruits help:  Scott Frost would trade rosters with Tom Herman with zero second thoughts.  You can overcome bad coaching and lousy player development very quickly if your program has recruited well.  Texas can be back in national title contention as soon as this season if one of the QBs makes major progress.   NU is a long way from being on the right side of the blue chip ratio.  And they don't have a good path forward on that front.  

• Like 1

It would be far simpler for Nebraska to have continued to recruit in the state of Texas, and to win blue chip athletes, over the current situation of competing against teams with decades long recruiting foothold in the B1G east; where the Huskers are behind the 8 ball...

Texas has a lot of great recruits.  Texas also has a lot of D1 programs recruiting them.  Playing Texas teams was certainly no magic formula for Nebraska when we were in the Big 12 and lack of recruiting TX didn't really seem to hurt when we were in the Big 8.  The most important thing Nebraska needs for success in recruiting is success on the field.  Historically, Nebraska has pulled in blue chippers from across the country: Frazier from Florida, Phillips from California, Suh from Oregon, etc..  New Jersey has provided Nebraska with the Peters brothers, Irving Fryar and Mike Rozier.  More recently, Taylor Martinez came from California and Ameer Abdullah came from Georgia. The highest profile Husker from Texas I can think of is Turner Gill.

Nebraska will always be behind the 8 ball in recruiting if it's not winning.  It doesn't matter what conference they are in or where they are recruiting. I think one thing that helped Nebraska under Osborne was running an unusual offense.  It was a lot easier to get run-first quarterbacks when you are one of 2 or 3 blue blood programs who operate a qb run game.  It was easier to get running backs when you consistently led the division in running. 

As far as Frost's current 2019 class, I'm okay with it.  It's fucking July, man.  He is definitely recruiting speed, speed, and more speed.  I just hope we have some big men who can play.

• Like 1

It is obvious it might take time to build up & nurture true rivalries in the B1G west for the Huskers, the Wiki page shows these "rivals":

(over half 6 out of 10, or 60% of the schools listed don't even compete in the same athletic conference with the University of Nebraska, but are still members of the XII)

13 hours ago, Tuco said:

Texas has a lot of great recruits.  Texas also has a lot of D1 programs recruiting them.  Playing Texas teams was certainly no magic formula for Nebraska when we were in the Big 12 and lack of recruiting TX didn't really seem to hurt when we were in the Big 8.  The most important thing Nebraska needs for success in recruiting is success on the field.  Historically, Nebraska has pulled in blue chippers from across the country: Frazier from Florida, Phillips from California, Suh from Oregon, etc..  New Jersey has provided Nebraska with the Peters brothers, Irving Fryar and Mike Rozier.  More recently, Taylor Martinez came from California and Ameer Abdullah came from Georgia. The highest profile Husker from Texas I can think of is Turner Gill.

Nebraska will always be behind the 8 ball in recruiting if it's not winning.  It doesn't matter what conference they are in or where they are recruiting. I think one thing that helped Nebraska under Osborne was running an unusual offense.  It was a lot easier to get run-first quarterbacks when you are one of 2 or 3 blue blood programs who operate a qb run game.  It was easier to get running backs when you consistently led the division in running. 

As far as Frost's current 2019 class, I'm okay with it.  It's fucking July, man.  He is definitely recruiting speed, speed, and more speed.  I just hope we have some big men who can play.

The first NU coach to ever make TX recruiting a priority was Pelini.  And he didn't get to see that experiment through to the end.  All of the people who blame NU's fall on losing Texas recruits are misrepresenting the actual history.  Nebraska never really recruited Texas heavily.  Solich and Callahan never really attempted to do what Pinkel did (successfully) at Mizzou.  The new-found TX recruiting exposure via the Big 12 was the obvious supplement to losing those Prop 48 players and it took a decade for someone up in Lincoln to realize that.  Mizzou was putrid before Pinkel got there and he built a program that won multiple division titles with TX recruits.  NU could have done much better coming off of three national titles in the 90s.

Obviously the Huskers weren't going to recruit Texas the way that Oklahoma does but could they have landed 3-4 four stars per recruiting cycle in the Big 12?  Absolutely.  It's baffling that it was never a focus until the end.  

As for it just being July?  Completely agree.  But with the December signing period, it's increasingly important to have a lot of hay in the barn before football season starts.  Light up some B1G West teams this year and I think Frost probably sees things pick up.  Struggle and maybe you end up dealing with a lot of "this scheme won't work in the Big 10" talk.  Either way, if a guy ends up a good recruiter in the long run, you usually see the evidence of that in the class after his first season.

Edited by camel at sea

On July 9, 2018 at 6:17 PM, camel at sea said:

As for whether Texas recruits help:  Scott Frost would trade rosters with Tom Herman with zero second thoughts.

Not at the QB position. Other than that, he'd also trade rosters with Wisconsin. But not at the QB position. 

On 7/9/2018 at 4:17 PM, camel at sea said:

The B1G said publicly that they were worried about Penn State leaving.  So I'm not all in on the idea that "nobody leaves the Big 10."  Unlikely?  Sure.  Never?  I don't buy that.

As for whether Texas recruits help:  Scott Frost would trade rosters with Tom Herman with zero second thoughts.  You can overcome bad coaching and lousy player development very quickly if your program has recruited well.  Texas can be back in national title contention as soon as this season if one of the QBs makes major progress our OLine miraculously improves from utter dogshit to top 10.  NU is a long way from being on the right side of the blue chip ratio.  And they don't have a good path forward on that front.  

fifm

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:26 PM, kopp0e said:

It is obvious it might take time to build up & nurture true rivalries in the B1G west for the Huskers, the Wiki page shows these "rivals":

(over half 6 out of 10, or 60% of the schools listed don't even compete in the same athletic conference with the University of Nebraska, but are still members of the XII)

The fucking rivalry thing.  This gets talked about quite a bit on Husker boards. To me, a rivalry game is one which frequently makes or breaks your season.  For many years, OU and Nebraska were the best two teams in the Big 8.  If we beat OU, there was a very good chance we'd go to the Orange Bowl, which was the best possible destination for us prior to 1994.  So, if we beat OU, it meant a great season.  If we lost, it was a disappointing season.  They were a rival. 

Eventually OU waned in power, and Colorado became good. So Colorado became a rival, sort of. Similar to KState, although by that time we were getting shaky enough that the path to a great season was muddled.

Nebraska doesn't have any real rivals anymore.  There is no single game that we would point to as being the watershed point of a "successful" season.  We are just trying to get to six wins, by any path available.  Eventually Wisconsin or Iowa may be an obvious hurdle for getting to CCG.  Perhaps at some point OSU or Michigan might be the obvious hurdle for getting at NCG. Playing OU would be nostalgic, but we'd certainly get our ass kicked and the results would have little bearing on how we perceived our season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

The fucking rivalry thing.  This gets talked about quite a bit on Husker boards. To me, a rivalry game is one which frequently makes or breaks your season.  For many years, OU and Nebraska were the best two teams in the Big 8.  If we beat OU, there was a very good chance we'd go to the Orange Bowl, which was the best possible destination for us prior to 1994.  So, if we beat OU, it meant a great season.  If we lost, it was a disappointing season.  They were a rival. 

Eventually OU waned in power, and Colorado became good. So Colorado became a rival, sort of. Similar to KState, although by that time we were getting shaky enough that the path to a great season was muddled.

Nebraska doesn't have any real rivals anymore.  There is no single game that we would point to as being the watershed point of a "successful" season.  We are just trying to get to six wins, by any path available.  Eventually Wisconsin or Iowa may be an obvious hurdle for getting to CCG.  Perhaps at some point OSU or Michigan might be the obvious hurdle for getting at NCG. Playing OU would be nostalgic, but we'd certainly get our ass kicked and the results would have little bearing on how we perceived our season. 

I miss some of the lost conference rivalries that have ended due to conference realignment...

I would hope that at some point schools as Nebraska/ Oklahoma, Kansas/ Missouri, Texas/ Arkansas, Texas Tech/ Colorado, TCU/ Texas A&M all restart old conference rivalries... I will have a peeked interest in seeing the Nebraska program return to the days of old when the school annually was a top 10 program, I think it realistic that the Huskers can be a top 15 team within the next 2 seasons in the B1G west...

3 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I miss some of the lost conference rivalries that have ended due to conference realignment...

I would hope that at some point schools as Nebraska/ Oklahoma, Kansas/ Missouri, Texas/ Arkansas, Texas Tech/ Colorado, TCU/ Texas A&M all restart old conference rivalries... I will have a peeked interest in seeing the Nebraska program return to the days of old when the school annually was a top 10 program, I think it realistic that the Huskers can be a top 15 team within the next 2 seasons in the B1G west...

What in the holy hell are you talking about? Not a single Buffs fan on the planet considers Tech a rival, and I'd wager the same is true for Tech fans.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2018 at 12:56 PM, Tuco said:

I agree that it would be a ways out and may not happen at all.   

My impression is that the Big 10 is mostly concerned about the Big 10 and tends to be a bit, inbred, for the lack of a better word.  Whether it hamstrings national contenders is a distant priority compared to that insular mentality.  And it seems to work for them, on a money basis, which is going to drive a lot of the decisions.  I'm not sure a scheduling alliance would do much to relieve that.  If you look at Nebraska's current schedule from a money standpoint: 9 conf game, 1 P5, 2 non-P5.  That's going to be typical schedule.  Assuming both non-P5s are straight pay days (home game with no away) and the P5 is a home and away, it means that 11.5 games per year will be played in a Big 10 stadium, with Big 10 TV rights.  If you replace 1 conf with another P5, then it drops to 11 games per year.  That .5 game for 14 teams is an extra 7 games the Big 10 stadium/TV.  Okay, maybe not strong because of the lower tier teams can't command as many money games, but it's still money they leave on the table.  And, frankly, that extra occasional visit by a Nebraska (or Michigan, OSU, etc.) means a lot for the lower tier schools financially.  You ISU fans may think we are all assholes, but we travel well, and spend money when we do. There are going to be a lot of schools voting against losing that pay day. 

this is not how the math works at all there is no such thing as a "half game" your math is not logical or based on reality

if you have a 14 team conference that plays 12 games total and 9 are conference games that gives you 168 total WINS AND LOSSES with 126 of those WINS AND LOSSES being conference WINS AND LOSSES and 42 being OOC WINS AND LOSSES......but the part you are not correctly accounting for is that each conference game has TWO conference members

so of those 126 WINS AND LOSSES in conference games you only get 63 actual GAMES for TV because they are conference games controlled by the conference media partners

now if you assume that the 42 OOC WINS AND LOSSES are home/home that means each year there would be 21 games that would be home for a Big 10 team so an additional 21 games for the media partners for a total of 84 Big 10 games for the media partners

now lets look at playing 8 conference games

you still have 168 total WINS AND LOSSES and now 112 of those are conference WINS AND LOSSES which makes 56 conference GAMES for the media partners

you have 56 OOC WINS AND LOSSES and if you assume those are home/home games then you have half each year that are home games for the Big 10 or 28 of them

so 56 + 28 = 84 the same exact number of GAMES available to the Big 10 media partners as with a 9 game conference schedule

so the ONLY way the Big 10 media partners would lose games with the Big 10 playing fewer conference games is if a conference game was replaced with a series that did not result in a home/home series or better for a Big 10 team......and even the worst Big 10 teams are not signing games in the OOC that are 2-1 in favor of the non-Big 10 team the worst Big 10 teams can still sign home/home games or they can sigh 2-1 games in THEIR FAVOR which would actually result in MORE Big 10 media partner games not fewer

people seem to want to forget that a conference game with TWO teams is still ONE game for the media partner and if you switch that to OOC then each of those TWO conference members now has a game and as long as team A plays at home and team B plays away in year 1 and then they swap and team A plays away the next year and team B plays at home then the media partners have THE SAME NUMBER OF GAMES each year......BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HALF GAME

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

What in the holy hell are you talking about? Not a single Buffs fan on the planet considers Tech a rival, and I'd wager the same is true for Tech fans.

I didn't say all rivalries are equal... I guess I could have just put Colorado vs Nebraska or Colorado vs Oklahoma, which I knew McCartney saw as the 1st & 2nd biggest rivals for the Buffs respectively... But in the sentence spoke of, I am actually speaking of conference "rivalries" that I actually enjoyed watching during the original incarnation of the XII, if you notice, I also included a TCU/ Texas A&M rivalry that has been dormant for the most part since the breakup of the SWC... And last but not least, I did not want to leave a vital school of the original Big8 left off the list that I grew up rooting for since the days of Rashaan Salaam, so I am sorry for the confusion...

(I think it's amusing that most posters that point out something that they see as a transgression, the response is: "What in the holy hell kopp0e..?" 😂), anyway, take care LTbear..!

57 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

this is not how the math works at all there is no such thing as a "half game" your math is not logical or based on reality

if you have a 14 team conference that plays 12 games total and 9 are conference games that gives you 168 total WINS AND LOSSES with 126 of those WINS AND LOSSES being conference WINS AND LOSSES and 42 being OOC WINS AND LOSSES......but the part you are not correctly accounting for is that each conference game has TWO conference members

so of those 126 WINS AND LOSSES in conference games you only get 63 actual GAMES for TV because they are conference games controlled by the conference media partners

now if you assume that the 42 OOC WINS AND LOSSES are home/home that means each year there would be 21 games that would be home for a Big 10 team so an additional 21 games for the media partners for a total of 84 Big 10 games for the media partners

now lets look at playing 8 conference games

you still have 168 total WINS AND LOSSES and now 112 of those are conference WINS AND LOSSES which makes 56 conference GAMES for the media partners

you have 56 OOC WINS AND LOSSES and if you assume those are home/home games then you have half each year that are home games for the Big 10 or 28 of them

so 56 + 28 = 84 the same exact number of GAMES available to the Big 10 media partners as with a 9 game conference schedule

so the ONLY way the Big 10 media partners would lose games with the Big 10 playing fewer conference games is if a conference game was replaced with a series that did not result in a home/home series or better for a Big 10 team......and even the worst Big 10 teams are not signing games in the OOC that are 2-1 in favor of the non-Big 10 team the worst Big 10 teams can still sign home/home games or they can sigh 2-1 games in THEIR FAVOR which would actually result in MORE Big 10 media partner games not fewer

people seem to want to forget that a conference game with TWO teams is still ONE game for the media partner and if you switch that to OOC then each of those TWO conference members now has a game and as long as team A plays at home and team B plays away in year 1 and then they swap and team A plays away the next year and team B plays at home then the media partners have THE SAME NUMBER OF GAMES each year......BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HALF GAME

Do you ever see a day, where if there are four 16 team conferences, that all conference schedules are pretty much uniform..? As in all leagues have a 9 game conference schedule, with 3 out of conference games..? Would that make inventory for broadcasters easier, and in the case of the XII actually remaining and expanding post 2025, how would streaming of individual 3rd tier content put the XII in an advantageous position vs traditional linear broadcasting..? 

I think the XII has a lot of potential to buck the trends of an expected even four conferences of 16 members each, as symmetrically it sounds great, but I don't really see it happening within the next contract cycles, maybe after the renewals of the ACC in the mid 2030's if the conference can't keep up with the B1G & SEC in media rights payouts...

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Do you ever see a day, where if there are four 16 team conferences, that all conference schedules are pretty much uniform..? As in all leagues have a 9 game conference schedule, with 3 out of conference games..? Would that make inventory for broadcasters easier, and in the case of the XII actually remaining and expanding post 2025, how would streaming of individual 3rd tier content put the XII in an advantageous position vs traditional linear broadcasting..? 

I think the XII has a lot of potential to buck the trends of an expected even four conferences of 16 members each, as symmetrically it sounds great, but I don't really see it happening within the next contract cycles, maybe after the renewals of the ACC in the mid 2030's if the conference can't keep up with the B1G & SEC in media rights payouts...

no there are a lot of reasons I see it makes no sense to do that and that some conferences will resist it, not be able to or will not get the money to

13 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I didn't say all rivalries are equal... I guess I could have just put Colorado vs Nebraska or Colorado vs Oklahoma, which I knew McCartney saw as the 1st & 2nd biggest rivals for the Buffs respectively... But in the sentence spoke of, I am actually speaking of conference "rivalries" that I actually enjoyed watching during the original incarnation of the XII, if you notice, I also included a TCU/ Texas A&M rivalry that has been dormant for the most part since the breakup of the SWC... And last but not least, I did not want to leave a vital school of the original Big8 left off the list that I grew up rooting for since the days of Rashaan Salaam, so I am sorry for the confusion...

(I think it's amusing that most posters that point out something that they see as a transgression, the response is: "What in the holy hell kopp0e..?" 😂), anyway, take care LTbear..!

That's a lot of words to just fail to admit you pulled that one outta your ass. Two teams sharing a conference for less than two decades doesn't make them rivals. CU-Nebraska was fun, even if the hatred was about as one-sided as UT/Aggy. Forgiveness granted due to mentioning Salaam.

• Like 1

People can claim the Huskers aren’t a blue blood, but the wins say otherwise..

Most Wins (Last 50 Years):

474 - Nebraska
463 - Ohio State
462 - OU
448 - PSU
442 - Alabama
442 - Michigan
429 - FSU
424 - UGA
419 - USC
418 - Texas
411 - BYU
411 - Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, DexterMorgan said:

474 - Nebraska
463 - Ohio State
462 - OU
448 - PSU
442 - Alabama
442 - Michigan
429 - FSU
424 - UGA
419 - USC
418 - Texas
411 - BYU
411 - Florida

Who said in this thread the Bugeaters are not a blueblood..? That's far different from pointing out a program that has fallen on hard times for roughly 20 years now...

On 7/20/2018 at 8:13 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Their days of being a blue blood are over. They havent done dick in the last 20 years and are on the verge of irrelevancy

Well, it looks like the days of BTN (B1G 3rd tier network) might be coming to an end (as pertaining to being a secure revenue driver due to the instability of the cable/ satellite subscription model), as carriage might be dropped in the league's own footprint by it's largest provider in Comcast...

What that would mean to Nebraska who had to wait 6 years (as a junior revenue earner), to get a full share of conference proceeds, only to have this happen, in it's 1st season receiving full shares, well that sucks...

http://www.keepbigten.com/

Edited by kopp0e

On 7/17/2018 at 11:59 PM, DexterMorgan said:

474 - Nebraska
463 - Ohio State
462 - OU
448 - PSU
442 - Alabama
442 - Michigan
429 - FSU
424 - UGA
419 - USC
418 - Texas
411 - BYU
411 - Florida

I don't think is fair to say they are not a blue blood, since all blue bloods have had major down periods at some point.   But I think it is fair to say that Nebraska's last 15 years has been pretty meh.   The question is, is it a slump or a trend.  In that past decade and a half Nebraska had a respectable 68% win percent, but still doesn't even crack the Top 20:

Power Five Win% Since 2003

1. Ohio State - 83.7%
  2. Oklahoma - 79.5%
  3. Alabama - 78.2%
  4. USC - 77.7%
  5. LSU - 77.4%
  6. TCU - 75.4%
  7. Wisconsin - 74.4%
  8. Georgia - 73.4%
  9. Clemson - 72.9%
  10. Florida State - 71.9%

Nebraska, at 68% was #23

Power Five Win% since 2008

1. Alabama - 89.9%
  2. Ohio State - 84.2%
  3. Oklahoma - 79.0%
  4. Clemson - 76.6%
  5. Oregon - 75.8%
  6. TCU - 75.4%
  7. Florida State - 75.4%
  8. Wisconsin - 74.8%
  9. Oklahoma State - 73.9%
  10. Stanford - 73.7%

Nebraska's win % drops to 64% in the past decade, in the past 5 years it has dropped to 60.3%.   Its not trending very well at all and the next 15 years need to improve significantly to get it back on track.   To your own point about blue bloods on your list, the one thing that stands out is that Nebraska has an advantage on brand and history, but it is the only Power Five school on that list that doesn't have an advantage in recruiting.   Now that everyone is on TV, it can probably recruit regionally like Iowa and Wisconsin, but is it going to be stealing 5* from Florida or Cali now that both Florida and Florida State are bigger deals then they were 50 years ago and other teams in that top ten recruit both regions heavily?   If you're FSU, or Bama, or OSU, or Texas, or Auburn, or USC, or Clemson, or Georgia, I don't think you're scared, at all, if Nebraska is recruiting a kid you want.  Hell, I'm not sure Iowa is scared at this point.

A couple of natties would cure all though.

On 7/20/2018 at 8:55 AM, Tuco said:

He'd be an expert on not being blue blood.

First, I don't see any ISU fans saying Nebraska isn't a blue blood in this thread so fuck you.

Second, take the ISU victories off UNLs wins total and compare them to UT.  Now take the KSU wins off and see what it looks like.  Typical Nebraska douchebag, uses wins against big 8 tomato cans to puff up profile then talks shit about them.

Third, the discussion of "bluebloodedness" is as much or more about elasticity or memory of a program over time as it is about win totals.  Blue blooded programs have bad patches (HC hires) but can be counted upon to rectify those errors, make the required changes and win national championships or high major bowls in a relatively short period of time.  It's the blue bloods whose sine wave is either the flattest (tOSUs is pretty flat - that is, steady) or the tightest (FSU had a dip early on with Jimbo and then won a championship).

If Nebraska is a blue blood we'll find out with Frost.  As I've already stated here somewhere, Frost will have the ability to raise money at UNL like no other coach before him.  He's a physical bridge from the Osborne era to now.  IMO UNL will be competing for the B1G West very soon, like next season soon and Frost will have them in the B1G Championship often.  

19 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

First, I don't see any ISU fans saying Nebraska isn't a blue blood in this thread so fuck you.

Second, take the ISU victories off UNLs wins total and compare them to UT.  Now take the KSU wins off and see what it looks like.  Typical Nebraska douchebag, uses wins against big 8 tomato cans to puff up profile then talks shit about them.

Third, the discussion of "bluebloodedness" is as much or more about elasticity or memory of a program over time as it is about win totals.  Blue blooded programs have bad patches (HC hires) but can be counted upon to rectify those errors, make the required changes and win national championships or high major bowls in a relatively short period of time.  It's the blue bloods whose sine wave is either the flattest (tOSUs is pretty flat - that is, steady) or the tightest (FSU had a dip early on with Jimbo and then won a championship).

If Nebraska is a blue blood we'll find out with Frost.  As I've already stated here somewhere, Frost will have the ability to raise money at UNL like no other coach before him.  He's a physical bridge from the Osborne era to now.  IMO UNL will be competing for the B1G West very soon, like next season soon and Frost will have them in the B1G Championship often.  

I said "their fans think they're a blue blood".

I think Nebraska was a blue blood.  I think they've lost that status at this point.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Florida State isn't a blue blood. They're new money, along with the rest of the P5 Florida schools.

Fair enough, but I'm sure you can think of a blue blood whose had a steep but short lived decline and bounced back.  Notre Dame's had a couple of those.

Top Ten All Time Winning Percentage

Michigan 0.72914 943 339 36 1318 
Notre Dame 0.72877 906 324 42 1272 
Ohio State 0.72510 898 324 53 1275 
Alabama 0.72306 891 328 43 1262 
Oklahoma 0.72262 884 323 53 1260 
Texas 0.70509 898 366 33 1297 
Southern Cal 0.70114 834 340 54 1228 
Nebraska 0.69535 893 380 40 1313 
Penn State 0.68783 878 387 42 1307 
10  Florida State 0.67928  539 250 17 806 

I'm cool with calling those the blue bloods. 11-13 are Tennessee, Georgia, and LSU. Are they blue bloods? If they are then why isn't FSU? I don't think anyone can argue with the first nine.

• Like 1

Former Husker signee Elijah Blades follows ex-Nebraska assistant Donte Williams to Oregon

• From staff reports
  •  
    • 10 hrs ago
    •  

Elijah Blades committed to Nebraska largely because of ex-Husker assistant Donte Williams. Blades will join forces with Williams again at Oregon.

Blades signed with the Huskers' 2017 recruiting class but didn't qualify academically. He was the only defensive back in that class. Williams, who was hired by NU two months before that signing day, was his lead recruiter.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/recruiting/former-husker-signee-elijah-blades-follows-ex-nebraska-assistant-donte/article_7577cd84-aa92-56eb-9289-fc59c96884fb.html

The Huskers lose a former signee to a non-blueblood, in Oregon...

8 hours ago, kopp0e said:

The Huskers lose a former signee to a non-blueblood, in Oregon...

So, you're telling me that sometimes Nebraska will lose juco recruits to programs that don't have the history that Nebraska has? Fascinating. 

As far as the "blue blood" thing, I see it as neither a huge compliment nor a black/white issue.  It's like saying someone is old-money or part of the aristocracy.  It's recognition of history, that does allow for some advantages - unjustified as it might be.  Neb went 4-8 last year while UCF went 12-0.  Because Nebraska is a blue blood, they still made more money than UCF, despite UCF having a much larger enrollment and more success on the field in 2017.  So Nebraska had the financial resources to hire away UCF's coach.  If Nebraska were to go 9-3 in the next couple of years, they'd probably get more hype than the 12-0 UCF team.  If Nebraska were to go 11-1, there is a much better chance of getting into the playoffs than a 12-0 UCF team.  (Granted, tougher schedule.) It's good to be a blue blood, regardless if it's a reflection of some objective virtue. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm cool with calling those the blue bloods. 11-13 are Tennessee, Georgia, and LSU. Are they blue bloods? If they are then why isn't FSU? I don't think anyone can argue with the first nine.

I think you could make an argument based on fsu only coming to prominence since the late 80's. Ya they started getting good in the late 70's but kind of disappeared for a few years before their 14 straight or w/e it was top 5 seasons. Their overall winning % is skewered by their fb program not coming into existence until like 1950. So really they've had about 30 years of relevance. So there is a rationale for including some of those sec schools but not fsu. I'd prob agree though on drawing the line at 9 on this list. 

7 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

I think you could make an argument based on fsu only coming to prominence since the late 80's. Ya they started getting good in the late 70's but kind of disappeared for a few years before their 14 straight or w/e it was top 5 seasons. Their overall winning % is skewered by their fb program not coming into existence until like 1950. So really they've had about 30 years of relevance. So there is a rationale for including some of those sec schools but not fsu. I'd prob agree though on drawing the line at 9 on this list. 

It's kind of like the playoff where that last spot gets kind of murky because there are multiple teams who can argue that they belong there but none of them are slam dunk, 'oh of course they belong' teams. 

19 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

For ease, why don't we just draw the blue blood line at 70+% win percent in excess of 1200 games played.

Solved.

12 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

For ease, why don't we just draw the blue blood line at 70+% win percent in excess of 1200 games played.

Solved.

That works for me: 

1-Wolverines/ 2-Fightin' Irish/ 3-Buckeyes/ 4-Crimson Tide/ 5-Sooners/ 6-Longhorns/ 7-Trojans/ 8-Cornhuskers, but what would the "fringe" #9 to 16 be called..?

Also, the list of all time national champions differs greatly depending on the poll system used, although even the NCAA recognizes some of these award titles...

College football national championships in NCAA Division I FBS

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Major selectors
A variety of selectors have named national champions throughout the years. They generally can be divided into four categories: those determined by mathematical formula, human polls, historical research, and recently, playoffs.

Math
The mathematical system is the oldest systematic selector of college football national champions. Many of the math selectors were created during the "championship rush" of the 1920s and 1930s, beginning with Frank Dickinson's system, or during the dawn of the computer age in the 1990s.

School Championships

Princeton28/ Yale27/ Alabama22/ NotreDame22/ Oklahoma17/ USC17/ Michigan16/ OhioState16/ Harvard12/ Nebraska11/
Pittsburgh11/ Miami(FL)9/ Minnesota9/ Texas9/ Florida State8/ LSU8/ Georgia Tech7/ Penn State7/ Tennessee7/ Georgia6/
Michigan State6/ Penn6/ Iowa5/ Army5/ Auburn5/ California5/ Cornell5/ Florida5/ Illinois5/ Washington4/ Lafayette3/
Ole Miss3/ SMU3/ TCU3/ Texas A&M3/ Arizona State2/ Arkansas2/ Chicago2/ Clemson2/ Maryland2/ Missouri2/
OklahomaState2/ Stanford2/ BYU1/ Centre1/ Colgate1/ Colorado1/ Columbia1/ Dartmouth1/ Detroit1/ Kentucky1/ Navy1/
Purdue1/ Rutgers1/ Syracuse1/ UCF1/ UCLA1/ Utah1/ Washington & Jefferson1/ Wisconsin1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleg...Division_I_FBS

Edited by kopp0e

5 hours ago, kopp0e said:

That works for me: 

1-Wolverines/ 2-Fightin' Irish/ 3-Buckeyes/ 4-Crimson Tide/ 5-Sooners/ 6-Longhorns/ 7-Trojans/ 8-Cornhuskers, but what would the "fringe" #9 to 16 be called..?

Also, the list of all time national champions differs greatly depending on the poll system used, although even the NCAA recognizes some of these award titles...

You were nicer than me, I wasn't rounding up.