Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

12 hours ago, Tuco said:

It’s not like Frost kicked Gebbia off the team. I get that recruiting current players to stick around may be the most important task of a new coach, and one that Frost has not been successful at QB....Tanner Lee forgoes his final year (understandably), Pat O’Brien leaves after falling to 3rd string in the spring, and then Gebbia transfers after narrowly losing the job to Martinez in fall practice. I’ll fault Frost for not convincing these kids to ride the bench behind a freshman, but not because he planned on this depth chart.

This is a big part of our wandering the desert the last 8 years. Look at our QB transfer record, it’s very similar. Not saying it’s exactly the same but Harris (had eligibility left), overstreet, Kinne, locks, wood etc.. each of those guys could have contributed or at least got a shot if they stayed. 

Edited by jdhorn92

9 hours ago, Tuco said:

On the other hand, I’m glad the coaching staff drove to Millard in 1999 to coddle a disappointed, but talented, teenage QB who found himself second on the depth chart. Kids don’t always react the way you would like, and it’s up to coaches to guide them for the good of the team and the player. And, frankly, I was more excited about Gebbia in this system. I’d rather see a quick dealer than another electric runner at QB. Because even with best of them - Armstrong, Taylor Martinez - it’s hard to stay that fast throughout the season. This team has enough weapons; we needed the quick dealing QB to use them. (Note: I’m not criticizing the decision to go with Martinez. I didn’t see them in practice. It’s just that if they were relatively equal, Gebbia’s strengths made me more hopeful.)

I like Crouch, don't get me wrong and him catching the pass that fucked OU's season might be one of the greatest plays ever filmed

But I never liked that they coddled that situation, especially after the way Berringer had shown the right way to handle it.  You better be one bad mofo to play the position the way they are being asked to play it, and if you don't have the nuts to stick it out, there's the door.

My csb/

A coworker of mine is a Nebraska grad. And of course, he was talking mad shit and laughing back when we lost to Kansas (damn you Charlie!) and also ran his mouth when we lost to Maryland this season. Long story short, on Monday I went into the office and said, "Well, Scott Frost is off to a good start eh?" He tells me how we barely beat Tulsa. My rebuttal, "at least we beat them, you can't give us shit about losing to Maryland or barely beating Tulsa when y'all lost at home to NIU last year and to Troy this year. You mother fuckers lost to a Sun Belt school. Fuck you and fuck corn aggy." 

He's been quiet since. Music to my ears.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, GhostofDanJones said:

My csb/

A coworker of mine is a Nebraska grad. And of course, he was talking mad shit and laughing back when we lost to Kansas (damn you Charlie!) and also ran his mouth when we lost to Maryland this season. Long story short, on Monday I went into the office and said, "Well, Scott Frost is off to a good start eh?" He tells me how we barely beat Tulsa. My rebuttal, "at least we beat them, you can't give us shit about losing to Maryland or barely beating Tulsa when y'all lost at home to NIU last year and to Troy this year. You mother fuckers lost to a Sun Belt school. Fuck you and fuck corn aggy." 

Tell him a Nebraska fan said stfu

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GhostofDanJones said:

My csb/

Kindly direct us to the "Fire Scott Frost" thread on any Nebraska message board, please. Thanks in advance. 

A tale of the two thus far:

Tom Herman-
Sport(s)    Football
Current position
Title    Head coach
Team    Texas
Conference    Big 12
Record    9–7 (56.25%)
Annual salary    $5.2 million

- - - - -
Scott Frost-
Sport(s)    Football
Current position
Title    Head coach
Team    Nebraska
Conference    Big Ten
Record    0–2 (00.00%)
Annual salary    $5,000,000

Wait wait wait. Are you actually saying that Nebraska's walk on program was so much better than other school's because the players were country kids who threw hay bales in high school? Is that really what you're saying?

Then explain why Terry Conneally was a full ride football scholarship from Grant Co. Nebraska population 746 instead of having a county scholarship. Same with Lance Lundberg from Wausa, and Dean Steinkuhler from Sterling. 

The truth of the walk-on program is that the state actually used to support higher education and it was pretty cheap to go down to Lincoln and give it a shot. Couple that with steroids and the natural leverage developed by throwing square bales and you could crank develop linemen and fullbacks, especially when they would go unscouted by anybody else, because there wasn't film on dudes from Humboldt and Ansely.  There's a reason Hudl developed in Nebraska, because those folks knew how many kids were out there under the radar. 

20 minutes ago, Paco said:

Wait wait wait. Are you actually saying that Nebraska's walk on program was so much better than other school's because the players were country kids who threw hay bales in high school? Is that really what you're saying?

No, I’m making fun of people that believe that there was a county scholarship program. That being said throwing bales builds a ton of lower body strength while teaching good leverage. 

52 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

No, I’m making fun of people that believe that there was a county scholarship program. That being said throwing bales builds a ton of lower body strength while teaching good leverage. 

Endurance is sure built handling a thousand squares a day. (That is lifting 66,000 pounds a day, 33 ton) and sticking Ralgro under their armpits.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

And that the state made it easy for them to try out for a place on the team... and that they were probably juicing...

A list of current P5 schools with a similar "problem", as Nebraska, in struggling to "right the ship":

Miami
Georgia Tech

Pittsburgh

Indiana
Purdue

Texas Tech

UCLA
California

And of course, Oklahoma State...

These schools share something in common, in a that blue blood(s) reside within the state...
The rankings on theses states by population show an advantage for large population(s) areas:

#1 California - 39,536,653 / UCLA, California *state of California 8 FBS teams
#2 Texas - 28,304,596 / Texas Tech *state of *state of Texas 10 FBS teams
#3 Florida - 20,984,400 / Miami *state of Florida 7 FBS teams
-
#5 Pennsylvania - 12,805,537 / Pittsburgh *state of Pennsylvania 3 FBS teams
-
#8 Georgia - 10,429,379 / Georgia Tech *state of Georgia 4 FBS teams
-
#28 Oklahoma - 3,930,864 / Oklahoma State *state of Oklahoma 3 FBS teams

-
#37 Nebraska - 1,920,076 / *state of Nebraska 1 FBS team, one of these is not like the others, especially for that school to be a "franchise program"...

Without a great QB it is really tough to compete in this day and age. Can you win games? Of course, but if it’s championships you are chasing great coaching will never be the same as having a Vince Young type player in uniform.

Frost, Jimbo, Herman and all the rest will always look a lot smarter if they have that special player.

Christ, fucking Chizik won a title! A guy who’s career was a few points over .500 until Cam showed up. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

How is Okie Lite trying to "right the ship". Their past 10 years is probably their best stretch in program history. 

And for that matter - Tech's ship ain't ever been right. 

It is a comparison of what Oklahoma State, has done with less, vs Nebraska, which is the only D1 school in the state (or UCLA & Georgia Tech for that matter)...

Texas Tech is still trying to right the ship from allowing a former Pony alumni/ commentator for ESPN, to "help" fire the best coach the program has had, (other than Dykes)...

3 hours ago, kopp0e said:

It is a comparison of what Oklahoma State, has done with less, vs Nebraska, which is the only D1 school in the state (or UCLA & Georgia Tech for that matter)...

Texas Tech is still trying to right the ship from allowing a former Pony alumni/ commentator for ESPN, to "help" fire the best coach the program has had, (other than Dykes)...

Actually it's what you wrote that I was responding to.

But whatever your post was about is so fucking dumb I'm not even going to attempt to understand the point you're trying to make. 

On 9/11/2018 at 10:51 AM, Royalfan5 said:

You don't seriously believe the County Scholarship myth do you? 

My son was a D1 athlete in a non-revenue sport at a school not terribly far from NU. His future coach told us that he needed to divulge any outside scholarships he received if that had any basis in athletic achievement. Those scholarships would count that against the “equivalency” scholarships allowed for his sport.

The fact that the coach called it “The Nebraska Rule,” indicated to me that NU had been skirting the rules.

One of my best friend’s is a NU Law grad and huge Husker fan. I’ve mentioned the county scholarships a few times when we were giving each other shit, and he’s never denied it. My experience with lawyers is that they are good at denying things if they can. 

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My son was a D1 athlete in a non-revenue sport at a school not terribly far from NU. His future coach told us that he needed to divulge any outside scholarships he received if that had any basis in athletic achievement. Those scholarships would count that against the “equivalency” scholarships allowed for his sport.

The fact that the coach called it “The Nebraska Rule,” indicated to me that NU had been skirting the rules.

One of my best friend’s is a NU Law grad and huge Husker fan. I’ve mentioned the county scholarships a few times when we were giving each other shit, and he’s never denied it. My experience with lawyers is that they are good at denying things if they can. 

He hasn't denied because he thinks you're a gullible rube. I've had relatives that played for NU in the heyday of the supposed county scholarships that paid their way to walk on, when they would have been the obvious choice for said scholarship. If it was such as sustained thing, one would able to find some actual evidence rather than innuendo.  A coach saying something doesn't mean a whole fuck of a lot. OU coaches say it's a worthwhile school to attend. Doesn't make it true. Aggie thinks they are defending the country, and that doesn't make it true either. 

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Actually it's what you wrote that I was responding to.

But whatever your post was about is so fucking dumb I'm not even going to attempt to understand the point you're trying to make. 

That works fine too... (But the point was Nebraska has built in advantages that Oklahoma State does not have, yet OSU has done better the last 20 years)

16 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

That works fine too... (But the point was Nebraska has built in advantages that Oklahoma State does not have, yet OSU has done better the last 20 years)

Yeah bordering Texas is such a huge disadvantage. 

There are three times as many people and probably ten times as many black kids in DFW than Nebraska. 

Go look at OSU's roster and see where they're getting talent from. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There are three times as many people and probably ten times as many black kids in DFW than Nebraska. 

I won't disagree there, it shows the versatility and abundance of athlete available to those recruiting the Lone Star State, but still yet, NU should be able to do the same...

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I won't disagree there, it shows the versatility and abundance of athlete available to those recruiting the Lone Star State, but still yet, NU should be able to do the same...

Do you know how many schools recruit Texas? Almost all of them.

Do you know what the biggest advantage for recruiting is? Proximity. 

Go look at a map.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Uh it's not "Blacks" ,Dude. The preferred nomenclature is "skill position players that are rangey and increase team speed".

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Do you know how many schools recruit Texas? Almost all of them.

Do you know what the biggest advantage for recruiting is? Proximity. 

Go look at a map.

That's not always correct, (as pertaining to the angle of "proximity"), signed Arkansas...

Edited by kopp0e

6 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

That's not always correct, (as pertaining to the angle of "proximity"), signed Arkansas...

Arkansas is a joke of a program right now. Just because another school is shitty at recruiting their backyard doesn't mean it doesn't matter who's in your backyard. 

OSU actually recruits Texas well and has a good program. Arkansas doesn't. Nebraska doesn't and even if they did they would struggle to recruit Texas. 

So unless the "advantage" you're talking about is jacking off to Tommie Frazier highlights and getting the $3.99 special at LuAnn's because gosh darn they make the best home fried potatuhs then I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there is absolutely nothing Nebraska can do to put talent on the field that OSU can't. 

8 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

He hasn't denied because he thinks you're a gullible rube. I've had relatives that played for NU in the heyday of the supposed county scholarships that paid their way to walk on, when they would have been the obvious choice for said scholarship. If it was such as sustained thing, one would able to find some actual evidence rather than innuendo.  A coach saying something doesn't mean a whole fuck of a lot. OU coaches say it's a worthwhile school to attend. Doesn't make it true. Aggie thinks they are defending the country, and that doesn't make it true either. 

Yeah, I’m a gullible tube who doesn’t know his best friends. 

6 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Yeah, I’m a gullible tube who doesn’t know his best friends. 

Your best friends never fuck you just for funieses? If the county scholarship thing was a real thing, explain why Terry Conneally was on a football scholarship from Hyannis and not a county scholarship? Did Nebraska used to give track money to football players until they made them stop, sure. Did they talk truck loads of steroids, absolutely. Use Prop 48 for all it was, definitely. Look the other way for criminals, you bet. But County scholarships weren’t a real thing. 

Ironically, for those of us who traveled the old Big 8 schedule and spoke with people for over 30 years will see a number of similarities between how Tom did things. And how Saban does things. 

College football isn’t an exact science. The ability to quietly jettison players who don’t pan out. While at the same time staying within the scholarship guidelines is a huge advantage. 

No one is so fucking good at player evaluation that they never miss on a high profile high school kid. Far to many examples out there that show that many times it isn’t just the sport that hurts the kid. It’s the psychology of adjustment to the life of being self motivated, hungry, and accountable.

And for the first time in their lives they are competing against other players who are just as good. That breaks a lot of young men down who just were not ready to be on their own. I know I have two of them that absolutely struggled to get playing time. And I know how hard they fucking worked. Those were hard phone calls to take at 3 in the morning after they spent their entire lives being the man.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Arkansas is a joke of a program right now. Just because another school is shitty at recruiting their backyard doesn't mean it doesn't matter who's in your backyard. 

OSU actually recruits Texas well and has a good program. Arkansas doesn't. Nebraska doesn't and even if they did they would struggle to recruit Texas. 

So unless the "advantage" you're talking about is jacking off to Tommie Frazier highlights and getting the $3.99 special at LuAnn's because gosh darn they make the best home fried potatuhs then I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there is absolutely nothing Nebraska can do to put talent on the field that OSU can't. 

It seems that you have come around to the same conclusion I originally made, that Nebraska has done less with more, over the time OSU did more with less...
Nebraska had no "issues" getting Texas recruits when a member of XII/ Arkansas had no "issues" getting Texas players as members of SWC, both should have stayed...

7 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

Your best friends never fuck you just for funieses? If the county scholarship thing was a real thing, explain why Terry Conneally was on a football scholarship from Hyannis and not a county scholarship? Did Nebraska used to give track money to football players until they made them stop, sure. Did they talk truck loads of steroids, absolutely. Use Prop 48 for all it was, definitely. Look the other way for criminals, you bet. But County scholarships weren’t a real thing. 

I can’t be fucked for funsies.  My meter is too finely tuned. 

“County Scholarships” is a euphemism for a system of feeding scholarships to 2 and 3 star athletes from small schools across the state of Nebraska. Some were county scholarships while others were called something else. That’s why the NCAA put in rules to restrict these types of scholarships just like they made dual sport track athletes count against the football limits (that was abused all over the country, not just Nebraska).

My son’s coaches didn’t ask about county scholarships. They inquired about any scholarship that was based on athletic achievements.

Nebraska has 93 counties (I looked it up), and probably only a handful literally offered county scholarships to feed Tom’s monster. Other small towns had them under another name, and sometimes numerous smaller scholarships were awarded in combination based on athletics. 

There is a reason why Nebraska had a walk-on program that dwarfed all others. Add a dozen D2-level (or KU-level) athletes a year to your roster of 85 legit D1 blue chips, feed them steroids, then watch more than a few turn into true contributors. Think of it as adding a bunch of NDSU caliber players every year.

Nebraska apologists can pound their fist on the table and emphatically deny that they had a “county scholarship” program in place, but that’s just double talk. They systematically used local scholarships to build a walk-on program without equal. While other schools had a bunch of undersized tackling dummies on their expanded roster, Nebraska had legitimate college football players.

Why do you think Tom’s vaunted walk-on program went away so quickly?  You can’t blame it on Frank Solich not knowing about how Tom did it because he was a Nebraska lifer  

So go ahead and deny they had a county scholarship program. Do you need to substitute a broader term than “county” to believe it?

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

Why did it go away?  You think Billy Callahan had a clue about local Nebraska players?

answer:  I assure you he did not.  That hiring created what could have been at least continual 9 win seasons to disappear.

"The 2003 Alamo Bowl team had 173 players. Callahan began this season with 134 players. There are currently 12 true freshman walk-ons."

“During practice, when receivers would be running routes, a lot of times, balls would go through that gate,” Rice said. “Well, guys would just go in after the ball, then go right to the locker room (where walk-ons then lockered) and not come back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I can’t be fucked for funsies.  My meter is too finely tuned. 

“County Scholarships” is a euphemism for a system of feeding scholarships to 2 and 3 star athletes from small schools across the state of Nebraska. Some were county scholarships while others were called something else. That’s why the NCAA put in rules to restrict these types of scholarships just like they made dual sport track athletes count against the football limits (that was abused all over the country, not just Nebraska).

My son’s coaches didn’t ask about county scholarships. They inquired about any scholarship that was based on athletic achievements.

Nebraska has 93 counties (I looked it up), and probably only a handful literally offered county scholarships to feed Tom’s monster. Other small towns had them under another name, and sometimes numerous smaller scholarships were awarded in combination based on athletics. 

There is a reason why Nebraska had a walk-on program that dwarfed all others. Add a dozen D2-level (or KU-level) athletes a year to your roster of 85 legit D1 blue chips, feed them steroids, then watch more than a few turn into true contributors. Think of it as adding a bunch of NDSU caliber players every year.

Nebraska apologists can pound their fist on the table and emphatically deny that they had a “county scholarship” program in place, but that’s just double talk. They systematically used local scholarships to build a walk-on program without equal. While other schools had a bunch of undersized tackling dummies on their expanded roster, Nebraska had legitimate college football players.

Why do you think Tom’s vaunted walk-on program went away so quickly?  You can’t blame it on Frank Solich not knowing about how Tom did it because he was a Nebraska lifer  

So go ahead and deny they had a county scholarship program. Do you need to substitute a broader term than “county” to believe it?

Why should Nebraska get in trouble for a crime someone else noticed? They dont need double talk. They need Bob Loblaw.

latest?cb=20121117203508

So you have to believe this shadowy web of county scholarship and other scholarships paying the way of all these small town athletes to go to Nebraska and that was their secret adavantage, rather than the obvious explanation that it was cheap to go UNL back when the state actually supported higher education, and they had a staff that was willing to deal with the extra players and keep a freshman team around to see what they had in those players. Especially when there is only 1 D-1 school in the state and that was the only Ag school in an Ag State. 

The reason I use Terry Conneally as an example, is that he was a full ride football signee out of a class D-2 school in the Sandhills with a grad class of about 15, if we had this elaborate way of paying for small town kids, they’re not going to waste one of the regular scholarships on the one kid in the whole county that can play.

As someone who grew up in small town Nebraska, this county scholarship bullshit has always baffled me, because it’s not something I ever heard until getting on to non-Nebraska message boards much after Nebraska lost their way. 

3 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

So you have to believe this shadowy web of county scholarship and other scholarships paying the way of all these small town athletes to go to Nebraska and that was their secret adavantage, rather than the obvious explanation that it was cheap to go UNL back when the state actually supported higher education, and they had a staff that was willing to deal with the extra players and keep a freshman team around to see what they had in those players. Especially when there is only 1 D-1 school in the state and that was the only Ag school in an Ag State. 

The reason I use Terry Conneally as an example, is that he was a full ride football signee out of a class D-2 school in the Sandhills with a grad class of about 15, if we had this elaborate way of paying for small town kids, they’re not going to waste one of the regular scholarships on the one kid in the whole county that can play.

As someone who grew up in small town Nebraska, this county scholarship bullshit has always baffled me, because it’s not something I ever heard until getting on to non-Nebraska message boards much after Nebraska lost their way. 

Regarding your first paragraph, I’m sure the cheap tuition made it easier. And being the only D1 school in Nebraska had to help because some kids just want to stay close to home. Playing for the best team of the 90s made it an easy sell.

It sounds like Terry Connelly came from an area that probably had a $500 Farmers Co-op and a $300 Cattlemen’s Bank & Trust scholarship. That’s not much for Tom to work with. Perhaps Terry was good enough to have other offers and Tom thought he had legit talent. No one has ever said that Nebraska only gave “county” scholarships to small town Nebraska kids.

I first heard of the county scholarships 25 years ago when I still lived in Texas and had no reason to hold a grudge. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed Nebraska’s beatdown of Florida.

i also think my son’s coach’s Nebraska Rule comment didn’t refer to Nebraska bring the only school that did this. It’s more likely that Nebraska was just more aggressive in exploiting that loophole, and their success at doing so drew the spotlight of the NCAA.  

Why do you think Nebraska’s vaunted walk-on program became pedestrian so quickly?

BTW, this may be my last response on this subject. /crowd roars

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Nebraska walk program slipped for a number of reasons. The Dakota schools moving up to FCS put a lot more scholarship money out there for kids that would have walked on at the same time as tuition increased. Out of the 29 in state kids that have made the NFL since 2004, 17 played out of state, mostly at Dakota schools or for Solich at Ohio.  Pelini especially just expected instate kids to walk on without much effort put into the program at the same time too hurt, especially since they weren’t committed to getting kids reps like Osborne did. Nebraska used to run multiple stations at practices with all the kids that got players a lot of work in.  Hudl being started in Lincoln also got a lot of film out on Nebraska kids that wasn’t happening before which sent more kids to different schools. 

To expand the Conneally deal more, they have one of the most well known Angus purebred ranches in the world. There’s a ton of money there. 

Sure there a lot of farmers Coop scholarships and such but those get used at any school in Nebraska too. I had Purina feed scholarships to Doane in Crete. I don’t think you can really act like something that a ton of boys and girls got in Nebraska made a big difference.