Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

I agree that it would be a ways out and may not happen at all.   

My impression is that the Big 10 is mostly concerned about the Big 10 and tends to be a bit, inbred, for the lack of a better word.  Whether it hamstrings national contenders is a distant priority compared to that insular mentality.  And it seems to work for them, on a money basis, which is going to drive a lot of the decisions.  I'm not sure a scheduling alliance would do much to relieve that.  If you look at Nebraska's current schedule from a money standpoint: 9 conf game, 1 P5, 2 non-P5.  That's going to be typical schedule.  Assuming both non-P5s are straight pay days (home game with no away) and the P5 is a home and away, it means that 11.5 games per year will be played in a Big 10 stadium, with Big 10 TV rights.  If you replace 1 conf with another P5, then it drops to 11 games per year.  That .5 game for 14 teams is an extra 7 games the Big 10 stadium/TV.  Okay, maybe not strong because of the lower tier teams can't command as many money games, but it's still money they leave on the table.  And, frankly, that extra occasional visit by a Nebraska (or Michigan, OSU, etc.) means a lot for the lower tier schools financially.  You ISU fans may think we are all assholes, but we travel well, and spend money when we do. There are going to be a lot of schools voting against losing that pay day. 

16 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I agree that it would be a ways out and may not happen at all.   

My impression is that the Big 10 is mostly concerned about the Big 10 and tends to be a bit, inbred, for the lack of a better word.  Whether it hamstrings national contenders is a distant priority compared to that insular mentality.  And it seems to work for them, on a money basis, which is going to drive a lot of the decisions.  I'm not sure a scheduling alliance would do much to relieve that.  If you look at Nebraska's current schedule from a money standpoint: 9 conf game, 1 P5, 2 non-P5.  That's going to be typical schedule.  Assuming both non-P5s are straight pay days (home game with no away) and the P5 is a home and away, it means that 11.5 games per year will be played in a Big 10 stadium, with Big 10 TV rights.  If you replace 1 conf with another P5, then it drops to 11 games per year.  That .5 game for 14 teams is an extra 7 games the Big 10 stadium/TV.  Okay, maybe not strong because of the lower tier teams can't command as many money games, but it's still money they leave on the table.  And, frankly, that extra occasional visit by a Nebraska (or Michigan, OSU, etc.) means a lot for the lower tier schools financially.  You ISU fans may think we are all assholes, but we travel well, and spend money when we do. There are going to be a lot of schools voting against losing that pay day. 

All of these things are facts.

On 5/14/2018 at 9:02 AM, Tuco said:

Actually, I did keep rooting for Nebraska while going to a different school.  But, please, explain these rules to me.  What if the school you went to doesn't have a football team, or a FBS football team.  If you go to undergrad, masters, and doctorate at three different schools, are you required to throw out your fan gear each time you move.  I'm really curious about the arbitrary rules of fandom. 

It's not arbitrary. You cheer for your undergrad alma mater. It is known.

If you don't then you're a dipshit. If your undergrad alma mater does not field a team in a given sport it's fine to pick another favorite team, but saying "I'm a Cornhusker" when you're not is a lie and makes you a dipshit.

Glad to help.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If you don't then you're a dipshit. If your undergrad alma mater does not field a team in a given sport it's fine to pick another favorite team, but saying "I'm a Cornhusker" when you're not is a lie and makes you a dipshit.

Glad to help.

UT baseball fan right here, brotha.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Glad to help.

Does that go for all of the Texas fans on this board who didn't go to Texas for undergrad?

9 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Does that go for all of the Texas fans on this board who didn't go to Texas for undergrad?

If they went somewhere else that fields FBS teams for undergrad then yes. Did you think that was going to be some big gotcha or something? We're all dipshits for one reason or another, this just happens to be one of your reasons.

If they didn't go to such a place then being a fan is perfectly okay.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

My college didn't field a football team, so, per your rules, I'm in the clear. But don't worry, I'm sure some idiot has a rule about what color shirt I should be wearing when watching TV, or something equally inane. It's entertainment.  It doesn't fucking matter. You let me know when the Texas bookstore starts asking for your diploma before you buy an overpriced hat.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tuco said:

My college didn't field a football team, so, per your rules, I'm in the clear. But don't worry, I'm sure some idiot has a rule about what color shirt I should be wearing when watching TV, or something equally inane. It's entertainment.  It doesn't fucking matter. You let me know when the Texas bookstore starts asking for your diploma before you buy an overpriced hat.

I wouldn't let it get around to other UNL fans that you don't wear red during games...

You do though, you so do.

28 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If they went somewhere else that fields FBS teams for undergrad then yes. Did you think that was going to be some big gotcha or something? We're all dipshits for one reason or another, this just happens to be one of your reasons.

I always find this cut and dry reasoning to be funny. Texas (and any school and their fans for that matter) have no problem cashing those multi million dollar checks that boosters write every year. Many who never graduated from the school. 

It's a silly argument. Not every fan of a school graduated from that particular school. They could have grown up in Austin (or another college town) and went to another school for a major or whatever reason. Their entire family could have gone to that school, their kids go to that school, they are employed by that school, etc. 

I always find this cut and dry reasoning to be funny. Texas (and any school and their fans for that matter) have no problem cashing those multi million dollar checks that boosters write every year. Many who never graduated from the school. 

It's a silly argument. Not every fan of a school graduated from that particular school. They could have grown up in Austin (or another college town) and went to another school for a major or whatever reason. Their entire family could have gone to that school, their kids go to that school, they are employed by that school, etc. 

*cut-and-dried

(You might have learned that at Texas)

Also, injecting an athletics program's fundraising employees and concerns into the annual "should you ever root for a different FBS team than your undergrad alma mater" argument is silly. You act like Texas' attitude about money isn't hated by thousands of alumni.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

For those talking about Nebraska's schedule strength, they have a crossover game with tOSU on the schedule every year from 2016-2021 (so far). It's part of Delany's plan of parity scheduling to keep the schedules of the top brand teams attractive, at least, and hopefully competitive. 

It also gives a smart Nebraska coach a recruiting pipeline into Ohio. And if Nebraska should return to where we expect them to be, which is to say the best team in the B1G West, not necessarily a national championship contender, then tOSU would be competitively disadvantaged relative to division rivals UM and PSU who don't have to play them every year. 

But I get it and it's the right policy. At least for now. 

On 5/14/2018 at 8:56 AM, TornACL said:

You don't keep rooting for a different school once you go to college. 

What the hell is the matter with you? 

I guess you wouldn't find it poor form if a kid grew up an Aggie fan and then kept rooting for A&M while getting his undergrad at UT? 

The continuing increase in acceptance standards will prevent that from happening anymore.

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Therefore, it’s ok for me because i graduated from a D2 university. 

I somehow posted a comment in the wrong thread. but while I’m here...

family vacation in the old Osborne option days and we stop to check out the stadium on the way through Nebraska. I was probably 1st grade for context.

grounds keeper let us in and have free reign of the stadium. I stood on one sideline and my dad the other. The crown of the field was so rediculous that he could barely see my head from across the field. Downhill option football homefield advantage at its best

Edited by Majorcholas
Somehow posted in wrong thread

• 5 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

Expectations are low for this season. But the next season things should take off. When you look at all the other coaches who won National Championships in year two or year three, get ready to add Scott Frost to the list.

Bro, pass that shit over. 

25 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

Expectations are low for this season. But the next season things should take off. When you look at all the other coaches who won National Championships in year two or year three, get ready to add Scott Frost to the list.

I don't expect them to do it that early because I think they just have too much lack of talent to win big that quickly. I could see them winning a NY6 bowl in the 2019 season though. I don't like Nebraska, but Frost is clearly a great coach. I look forward to their games against Wisconsin for the next few years.

NU announces $9.2M in 'phase one' cuts; includes faculty, academic ...

journalstar.com/...cuts...academic/article_2f2bfe09-7d99-5fd6-944e-66c7668345f7.ht...
Feb 13, 2018 - University of Nebraska administrators announced $9.2 million in ... $9.2M in 'phase one'cuts; includes faculty, academic and athletic programs.

Nebraska going through a budget crunch by an across the board cut to both academics & athletics, I'm wondering if some fans feel the 6 year buy in for BTN is even worth it as the Huskers have a harder time than Arkansas on recruiting the most abundant state of blue chip athletes in the nation...

14 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Nebraska going through a budget crunch by an across the board cut to both academics & athletics, I'm wondering if some fans feel the 6 year buy in for BTN is even worth it as the Huskers have a harder time than Arkansas on recruiting the most abundant state of blue chip athletes in the nation...

Now I'm the first to pick on Nebraska that Kansas State has brought in more in broadcast rights than the Huskers have since they left the Big 12, to the surprise of everyone at the time that decision was made I'm sure, but this isn't about conference.   This is about states cutting back heavily on education.   States today pay for about a quarter of an education where it was about half in the nineties.   No conference is going to be able to make up that kind of difference.

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

Now I'm the first to pick on Nebraska that Kansas State has brought in more in broadcast rights than the Huskers have since they left the Big 12, to the surprise of everyone at the time that decision was made I'm sure, but this isn't about conference.   This is about states cutting back heavily on education.   States today pay for about a quarter of an education where it was about half in the nineties.   No conference is going to be able to make up that kind of difference.

Agreed, but a lot of this was unforeseen  in 2010, and while we all knew state funding was shrinking, I think it also added to the perilous situation of the media contracts of the time, I am mostly stating how most in the NU administration I am sure are more than happy with the outcome of realignment, but there are many fans who miss the local/ regional rivals in the XII...

And overall, the Nebraska revenues from donations/ media contracts & federal grants are about the same or less than their regional peers of Kansas & Oklahoma, and still trail Texas...

14 hours ago, kopp0e said:

You should at least read the article before posting a link to it, let alone speculating on its meaning. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

18 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yeah, I'm more worried about things like tuition increases and cuts to cancer research than I am about the variety of practice shoes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You should at least read the article before posting a link to it, let alone speculating on its meaning. 

I have read the article, now this article does not state what the actual budget crunch was (is) at the school going into this year, the campus had a -$49 million deficit...

Now a lot of that will be mitigated by the upcoming payments from the 6 year B1G media contracts, & yes I am aware that the budget cuts in the article I posted are from the governor signing them, not the same as a debt that the school actually had of it's own doing...

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I have read the article, now this article does not state what the actual budget crunch was (is) at the school going into this year, the campus had a -$49 million deficit...

Now a lot of that will be mitigated by the upcoming payments from the 6 year B1G media contracts, & yes I am aware that the budget cuts in the article I posted are from the governor signing them, not the same as a debt that the school actually had of it's own doing...

This has nothing to do with BTN revenue and everything to do with State budget cuts. The only way UNL is being affected is academically. They're not cutting sports. Athletic Dept. revenue is not a factor in the calculation. Nor is it a solution to the problem; media payments to the UNL AD won't mitigate State cuts to funding of the school. I think the cuts are a damn shame but that discussion belongs on the Politics board. 

How would BTN revenue affect sports being eliminated at the Kearney campus? The BTN payout could be $100 Million and still none of it would go to UNK. 

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This has nothing to do with BTN revenue and everything to do with State budget cuts. The only way UNL is being affected is academically. They're not cutting sports. Athletic Dept. revenue is not a factor in the calculation. Nor is it a solution to the problem; media payments to the UNL AD won't mitigate State cuts to funding of the school. I think the cuts are a damn shame but that discussion belongs on the Politics board. 

How would BTN revenue affect sports being eliminated at the Kearney campus? The BTN payout could be $100 Million and still none of it would go to UNK. 

This

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 1:49 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

There are cuts at both UNL & UNK, I never said that B1G revenues are a factor or reason for the issues at the school (but I can see where what I said could be taken that way), what I was pointing out is where some proponents of the B1G state that Nebraska moving to that conference has positively impacted the economy of the state... How do you quantify that..?

On 5/23/2018 at 1:31 PM, Huckleberry said:

Glad to help.

What if you're undergrad is a G5 school? Still plays FBS, but we all know very well that G5 and P5 are basically two different leagues. 

Phil Steele has Nebraska winning 8 games in 2018. Scott Frost going back home to coach the Huskers is the most intriguing story line for this upcoming season. I really miss our rivalry with them and having them leave the Big XII was a huge loss. I really like Frost as a coach and I want to see a blue blood traditional power like Nebraska start kicking ass again because college football is more fun when teams like them and UT are winning.

My older sister had ZERO interest in any sport before she moved to Omaha many, many years ago. She didn't know the difference between a football and a softball but she became "Lil Ms. Husker" within a couple of years of the move. An exchange I had were her when the Nubs were still in the Big 12 went like this:

LMH: "You guys should come over for a football game when ISU is playing Nebraska"

Me: "Hmmm, well I'll tell you what. We'll come over if you guys agree to come over when Nebraska plays in Hilton."

LMH: "Uhhh, we don't watch Nebraska basketball"

ME: "Yeah, why's that?"

LMH: "Well, they never win"

In short, LMH was a fan of winning which caused this exchange 3-4 years ago:

LMH: "We aren't getting season tickets anymore"

Me: "What? Why?"

LMH: "Oh, everything at Nebraska now is about the money. Donations...ticket prices...on and on"

Me: "Yeah, that losing sucks doesn't it?"

10 hours ago, Seneca Tinsley said:

My older sister had ZERO interest in any sport before she moved to Omaha many, many years ago. She didn't know the difference between a football and a softball but she became "Lil Ms. Husker" within a couple of years of the move. An exchange I had were her when the Nubs were still in the Big 12 went like this:

LMH: "You guys should come over for a football game when ISU is playing Nebraska"

Me: "Hmmm, well I'll tell you what. We'll come over if you guys agree to come over when Nebraska plays in Hilton."

LMH: "Uhhh, we don't watch Nebraska basketball"

ME: "Yeah, why's that?"

LMH: "Well, they never win"

In short, LMH was a fan of winning which caused this exchange 3-4 years ago:

LMH: "We aren't getting season tickets anymore"

Me: "What? Why?"

LMH: "Oh, everything at Nebraska now is about the money. Donations...ticket prices...on and on"

Me: "Yeah, that losing sucks doesn't it?"

Sounds like "fans" of many different teams and sports, not just Nebraska football.

Edited by SurlyORama

On 5/23/2018 at 5:29 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Again, there is zero chance Nebraska leaves the Big 12 if they weren’t our complete bitch on the field. They can say what they want, but if they were 9-1 against us, they don’t leave. 

I think you are on to something there, as I look at the film of Husker past wins in the XII, the video has few winning highlight clips against Texas...

Which I think did in fact lead Osborne to push for Nebraska to look at an "exit strategy": (Osborne was ticked off about the XII ending prop48)...

Our trip to Lincoln in 09 is among my very favorite football trips ever.  husker fans were great.

Frito Pie kicks the shit out of a Runza every day though.

With 11 commits on board for 2019, NU has one blue chipper.  And their 247 composite ranking is #39.  It's a long time until signing day but that's probably not as good as a lot of their fans would like.

Obviously he deserves some time but if Scott Frost - coming off a "national championship" at UCF - can't lure elite recruits to Lincoln, what's the plan?  Finally just accept a lesser stature? 

I still maintain their home run recruiting situation was to end up in a 10 team Big 12.  If they'd just waited a couple of extra weeks before accepting that B1G invite it might have happened.  They never relied heavily on TX recruiting in the past because they didn't need to with the Prop 48 players they used to bring in.  But 4 games against TX schools every year would give them a chance to build real pipelines in Texas.  That situation also gives them annual games with OU and Texas - which are both more exciting for their fans than anyone on their annual schedule now.  Travel would be easier.  Basketball and baseball would be upgraded. 

Who knows.  With all that talk of getting KU, KSU, and ISU on their schedule, maybe Moos is putting up some fan sentiment trial balloons about going home.

• Like 1

On July 6, 2018 at 1:13 AM, kopp0e said:

There are cuts at both UNL & UNK, I never said that B1G revenues are a factor or reason for the issues at the school (but I can see where what I said could be taken that way), what I was pointing out is where some proponents of the B1G state that Nebraska moving to that conference has positively impacted the economy of the state... How do you quantify that..?

There are no cuts to athletics at UNL. I never accused you of blaming media revenue to the athletic dept. as a cause of the academic budget shortfalls. We know those are due to cuts in funding by the governor. What you said is that media revenues to the athletic dept. will help to mitigate the situation. They won't. The budget cuts have nothing to do with Husker athletics. They would still be happening even if they had never left the Big 12. And no, you weren't talking about how the move to the B1G helped the Nebraska economy nor pointing to anyone who said it did. We can all see what you said. It's on this page. 

Here's what I think happened: You just read the headline and thought Nebraska Cornhusker athletics were suffering. Experiencing jilted lover syndrome, you thought, "Ha ha! That move to the B1G didn't help you so much afterall, did it? I'll bet you regret leaving us now!" You rushed to post (just) a link and share your schadenfreude. Then you provided a completely incorrect analysis. And yes, you should be able to see why people interpreted the words you said as meaning what they mean. It's what you said. You're just backtracking, although I think it's possible that you still don't understand the situation. 

• Like 1