2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Google Karl Malone statutory rape.  The first page of google results didn’t give me a source I was familiar with, so I’m hesitant to provide a link from one of them, but that’s been out there for a long time.

I'm talking about Moses Malone...

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:
4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:
10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:
29 minutes ago, threesheets said:
2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Barkley is underappreciated for sure but IMO not like Malone, historically.

Being a child molester has its disadvantages. 

?

Google Karl Malone statutory rape.  The first page of google results didn’t give me a source I was familiar with, so I’m hesitant to provide a link from one of them, but that’s been out there for a long time.

I'm talking about Moses Malone...

This was the most hilarious sequence I've seen on Surly in weeks. Bra-VO, gentlemen.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

welp. 121-118 Portland.  avg KP  and basically zero help from the others(DFS had a decent game) = loss but at least it was close.  doncic 44-7-9

Enes Kanter was the difference here. We need a big 7'2 Shot blocker/defender (i know, i know...doesn't everyone?). Seriously if the GSW could trade for an Enes Kanter like player, they'd be dangerous.

• Like 1

Dame was supposed to be doubled when he hit that 3 with 33 seconds left. 

Carlisle said it was discussed in the last time out to force Dame to give up the ball and force someone else to score.

Carlisle doesnt say who in particular was supposed to leave their man to force the trap, either Luka or Brunsen were two closest defenders.  Watching the replay Brunsen starts to cheat towards Dame but then retreats. They just didn't execute what they were told to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, CBT said:

What am I missing? Dallas had FIVE positive tests and didn't have any games canceled. 

contact tracing?  Also, didn't the league amp up their C19 protocols vs what was in place at the beginning of the season?  I know there are stricter mask rules but unsure about if the threshold to get games cancelled went down.  Either way it is bullsh.  Contract tracing is the big wildcard as that is a variable that teams could fudge one way or another if so inclined. 

• Like 1

hopefully this break benefits us with fresh legs to finish out the rest of the first half rather than hurts us with disjointed rhythm, chemistry, and rust.  we have a back to back today and tomorrow then for the next week we're playing every other night.  finish strong these 6 games and we gotta like where we're standing and the story will be what we're going to do at the trade deadline instead of impending doom and gloom.  

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

hopefully this break benefits us with fresh legs to finish out the rest of the first half rather than hurts us with disjointed rhythm, chemistry, and rust.  we have a back to back today and tomorrow then for the next week we're playing every other night.  finish strong these 6 games and we gotta like where we're standing and the story will be what we're going to do at the trade deadline instead of impending doom and gloom.  

I really hope they've been able to do a mini-mini camp with a lot of practices to fix some of the defensive and rebounding issues. May be wishful thinking. 

15 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I really hope they've been able to do a mini-mini camp with a lot of practices to fix some of the defensive and rebounding issues. May be wishful thinking. 

There was an article in the DMN this morning that indicated this is exactly what they have been doing.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2021/02/21/mavs-understand-the-reasons-for-kristaps-porzingis-defensive-woes-but-theyre-not-making-excuses/

Edited by conVINCEd
Link
  • Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

There was an article in the DMN this morning that indicated this is exactly what they have been doing.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2021/02/21/mavs-understand-the-reasons-for-kristaps-porzingis-defensive-woes-but-theyre-not-making-excuses/

awesome to hear but that's paywalled for me

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so I'll cross post it a few places, but does anyone do anything with non-fungible tokens, specifically NBA TOP SHOT? From what I understand it's like cryptocurrency (powered by blockchain) but for basketball trading cards. I bought the cheapest Luka Doncic (assist) and a Joel Embiid on a whim just now after reading about it twice today, after never having heard of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fungible_token

https://www.nbatopshot.com/

On 2/17/2021 at 8:44 AM, CBT said:

What am I missing? Dallas had FIVE positive tests and didn't have any games canceled. 

Yeah it was really bad that Dallas had to play 2+ weeks with 3-5 of their top 7 players out. Other teams got weeks cancelled, while Dallas was losing 6 in a row.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

after 4 days off too.  if Cuban is depending on him to be a #2 we are fucked.

Yep. I was skeptical from the time the trade happened and never thought it was a great trade. When a team like the Knicks desperately want to unload a supposed star, you have to step back and question it. They seemingly took pennies on the dollar for him. But they knew what they were doing. They just wanted rid of him and his tired act. They took a chance on Dennis Smith Jr and it didn't work out so they move on with no issues. I think NY won the trade a little more as they found an out from KP. 

His act is old. Hurt guys stay hurt. 

What act? I mean, he is injury prone but that's not like being a locker room cancer or stat whore. He had indicated to the Knicks he would not sign an extension with them so they traded him rather than watch their most valuable asset leave for nothing. I would say the jury is still out, but you could argue the Mavs got some addition by subtraction just be dumping Smith and allowing Luka to grow.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. I was skeptical from the time the trade happened and never thought it was a great trade. When a team like the Knicks desperately want to unload a supposed star, you have to step back and question it. They seemingly took pennies on the dollar for him. But they knew what they were doing. They just wanted rid of him and his tired act. They took a chance on Dennis Smith Jr and it didn't work out so they move on with no issues. I think NY won the trade a little more as they found an out from KP. 

I have no idea the contract situations on the team but it is going to be funny when we panic and overpay for certain guys on the team because we can't get a big time free agent and KP isn't reliable.

My dream is to somehow someway get Jokic to play with Luka.  In the current NBA Doncic like Dirk is probably going to have to do it himself.

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

jfc vic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is ... not a good take. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah the Knicks still got worked over on that trade, even if the only Mavs left from that Trade are THJ(who's a microwave off the bench, just NOT as a starter) and Burke. 

If they do end up trading KP, and they get anything good for him, then it's still a huge win.

Mavs gave up a guy whos in the GLeague now(DSJ) a couple bad contracts, and just 2 mid to late first rounders.  Let's see what happens with KP but it's still leaning Dallas here.

52 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yeah the Knicks still got worked over on that trade, even if the only Mavs left from that Trade are THJ(who's a microwave off the bench, just NOT as a starter) and Burke. 

If they do end up trading KP, and they get anything good for him, then it's still a huge win.

Mavs gave up a guy whos in the GLeague now(DSJ) a couple bad contracts, and just 2 mid to late first rounders.  Let's see what happens with KP but it's still leaning Dallas here.

What happened to DSJ? I liked him a lot his rookie year. I thought he could be a strong player, not an all star, but a poor man’s Westbrook. Maybe a long career as a 6th man slasher/scorer/finisher.

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

DSJ was a big time bust but at least the Knicks didn't get stuck with many lingering bad contracts.

Haven't given up on KP but our defense is horrific right now when he's on the floor. Would still say he's a player but I had high hopes.

I guess what I'm asking is what happened here? He was a #9 overall draft pick. Had an amazing amateur career (HS/College), had a good rookie year...did the league just catch up to him? Did he lose a step or athleticism? Like I said I seemed to recall him being a poor man's Westbrook who could jump out of the gym. He was a fun slasher/finisher and seemed like his floor was at least a 6th man off the bench career with some longevity?