2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

I feel like luka has had a 20 reb triple double this season or last as well. 

wonder what the list of guys that have had a triple double with at least 20 in 3 categories (I’d say all 3 but I guess it’s possible someone had 20 steals or blocks)

hell I wonder what the list of guys that have ever had 20 rebounds in a game as well as 20 assists in a game looks like. 

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The list of people who have done it is relatively short.  It’s like 5 people if the Mavs broadcasters are to be believed.

Big O

magic

russ

luka

eta: I think that’s 20 assist specific. May be others with 20 reb. Surprised wilt isn’t on the list, I know he had a 20/20/20 game. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

20 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Embiid, Zion, AD

Zion's post game is nothing to get excited about. He's huge but his game is not really built on that low post, back to the basket skillset. Embiid is a good one. AD is phenomenal but I'm not sure his back to the basket game is that developed.

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Zion's post game is nothing to get excited about. He's huge but his game is not really built on that low post, back to the basket skillset. Embiid is a good one. AD is phenomenal but I'm not sure his back to the basket game is that developed.

I suppose we may have different definitions of what constitutes a post up. If a guy catches it in low/mid post and then faces up, his back isn't to the basket but I'm still counting that as a post up, which is where Zion makes hay. 

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/playtype-post-up/?sort=POSS&dir=1

I guess here's some data on all discussed. IDK what the exact definition of a post up is that goes into this. And it appears to only count possessions where the player posting up takes a shot or turns it over, which seems dumb. Assists should be cooked into that number as well.

45 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I suppose we may have different definitions of what constitutes a post up. If a guy catches it in low/mid post and then faces up, his back isn't to the basket but I'm still counting that as a post up, which is where Zion makes hay. 

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/playtype-post-up/?sort=POSS&dir=1

I guess here's some data on all discussed. IDK what the exact definition of a post up is that goes into this. And it appears to only count possessions where the player posting up takes a shot or turns it over, which seems dumb. Assists should be cooked into that number as well.

Pretty sure my "back to the basket" definition is the more widely accepted usage. Facing up in the post area is not really a different skillset from doing so from the wing or point position.

https://www.sportslingo.com/sports-glossary/p/post-up/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_basketball_terms#P

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

Pretty sure my "back to the basket" definition is the more widely accepted usage. Facing up in the post area is not really a different skillset from doing so from the wing or point position.

https://www.sportslingo.com/sports-glossary/p/post-up/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_basketball_terms#P

Maybe I'm missing something, but those definitions seem to just deal with where/how you're positioned when you catch the ball. They're inclusive of a Zion face up rip through/ jab step etc and exclusive of other plays like, for instance, catching the ball on the wing or point position.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Everyone faces the basket at some point to shoot it. I don’t see many shots taken back to basket. 

But you do see plenty of shots in which the shooting motion is initiated with the back to the basket. That's the entirety of turnaround jumper, a drop step dunk, or a baby hook. If you face up and then make a move to get your shot started you are no longer posting up, you are facing up. It's literally the opposite thing.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Sorry; I get into it because I’m a former post player. And my 11-year old son is on a really good hoops team. Our coach is great at teaching players of all sizes every fundamental. My son is a guard/forward but tough enough to run the short corner against zone. Every big man they have can handle the ball reasonably well and break a press. Very useful skills for this age. Nobody knows a damn thing about playing with their back to the basket, and I suspect that’s part age and part change in the game. 

I like good post play.  My IM team at Texas had a starting 5 that was 6-2, 6-4, 6-4, 6-5, 6-8.  I was the short guy, but the best post player, and I would normally have a midget guarding me.  We started every game with me in the post until they stopped it.  Once they started switching it became a game of whack a mole.  We just bludgeoned people to death.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Our boys play AAU ball and I’ve never seen anyone throw a post move out. Most of that is age, though. It’s fast break chaos and some zone offense where we’ll play a 2-man high post and short corner game. I suspect the post play will come more in the middle school years. 

No one with a size advantage will just back a guy down?  Not saying that should be the focus of the offense, but use it like Luka does.  If he has a mismatch he just backs them down and overpowers them.

We are losing to the Kings at the half. Why the fuck have we struggled against them this year blows my mind.

For low post play, besides location I think the key element is receiving the ball with your back to the basket. You can reverse pivot out and hit the short jumper and I still consider it a post move because of the initial position. Compared to I cut baseline and receive the pass into a layup is not a post move.

only caught the last 7 minutes.  luka's last tech was strange.  the mavs broke their huddle and luka started walking towards the scorer table without saying anything and the ref came at him from the side and pointed at him saying he was ejected.  luka literally hadn't opened his mouth since they broke the team huddle. 

anyway, 64 points for the kings in the paint.  dismal from beyond the arc.  i love dodo, but the last 7 minutes running PnR with dodo and luka ain't gonna cut it. 

There’s that, and the game plan / set plays were dogshit. Just zeroooo adjustments from the coaches as we continued to chuck the ball from deep. Once Boban finally made an appearance he did exactly as one would expect, only to see the bench shortly thereafter.

The lack of pnr from Powell tonight was also frustrating. Basically, terrible coaching, worse shooting, abysmal officiating going both ways and Sac getting every bounce. That’s a loss 10-10 times.

10 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

only caught the last 7 minutes.  luka's last tech was strange.  the mavs broke their huddle and luka started walking towards the scorer table without saying anything and the ref came at him from the side and pointed at him saying he was ejected.  luka literally hadn't opened his mouth since they broke the team huddle. 

anyway, 64 points for the kings in the paint.  dismal from beyond the arc.  i love dodo, but the last 7 minutes running PnR with dodo and luka ain't gonna cut it. 

Did a little internet sleuthing... The T was for chucking the ball the length of the court before the timeout. I guess Luka didn't realize it had been assessed so as he's walking back onto the court it was "hey, you're supposed to be kicked out" not "we're giving you a T for walking to the scorers table"

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Maybe but refs are clearly sick of Luka whining. 

I'm sure they are, but the techs were all warranted. (except for the second tech on Luka, where he literally didn't do anything.)

edit: This is assuming Rick deserved his, but given the game he probably did. BUT, all of Rick's techs this year have come from the same ref. So, make of that what you will.

Edited by CBT

yeah, i am over caring about Luka crying to the refs all the time.  if he misses a playoff game from techs it's a problem.  otherwise, it's part of the package.  Mavs fans, opposing fans, broadcasters complaining about it.  WGAF? 

I would be pissed to if this was what it was like at my job with no help

2b0e4b96853b01ea2dd7d55319c9b58d_w200.gi

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Luka may already be more skilled than prime Dirk, but I'm not sure that he will ever come close in likeability.  Maybe it's a generational thing, but the whining doesn't help.  That said, I'm really glad he's a Mav, and I hope he stays one his entire career. 

15 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Luka may already be more skilled than prime Dirk, but I'm not sure that he will ever come close in likeability.  Maybe it's a generational thing, but the whining doesn't help.  That said, I'm really glad he's a Mav, and I hope he stays one his entire career. 

No arguing there. Even Boban is more likable.

41 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

was going to come and post the same thing. would love to watch more of the NBA for players like luka who are changing the narrative to being even more international with different skill sets. but damn the dude is a bit of a bitch out there. 

certainly is generational a bit as well. lots of flailing, complaining, and even recently i have seen players get pissed at refs and charge them? wtf? league needs to get some of this under control IMO. makes for a bad product (at least to me)

23 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

We have the good THJ tonight 

I'm all in on THJ.  While he's not untouchable I hope he plays the next 5 years for Dallas.  Big Jet Energy.  Plus he seems like a great teammate.  He can play for me any day.