2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

4 hours ago, staboner said:

was going to come and post the same thing. would love to watch more of the NBA for players like luka who are changing the narrative to being even more international with different skill sets. but damn the dude is a bit of a bitch out there. 

certainly is generational a bit as well. lots of flailing, complaining, and even recently i have seen players get pissed at refs and charge them? wtf? league needs to get some of this under control IMO. makes for a bad product (at least to me)

Tell me you don't watch the NBA without telling me you don't watch the NBA.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, staboner said:

was going to come and post the same thing. would love to watch more of the NBA for players like luka who are changing the narrative to being even more international with different skill sets. but damn the dude is a bit of a bitch out there. 

certainly is generational a bit as well. lots of flailing, complaining, and even recently i have seen players get pissed at refs and charge them? wtf? league needs to get some of this under control IMO. makes for a bad product (at least to me)

ytnbw2x6524z.jpg?auto=webp&s=dc7c30e1530

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Should we be hoping for the Nuggets in the 1st round? Other realistic match-up seems like the Clippers, maybe the Suns if the Mavs drop to the 7 seed.

The Murray-less Nuggets would be my preference.  It would also mean Lebron and Kwahi would be on the other side of the bracket and would probably have to play each other in the first round.  I won’t be 100% sold on Utah or Phoenix until they do something in the postseason.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

So no one's mentioned Maxi being out indefinitely. This is a problem. Really hoping it's not Achilles related.

They mentioned the other night that it was an achilles issue, but not torn or anything.  An abundance of caution seems to be our MO this year.

7 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Can't stop won't stop

I’m sure this has been discussed, but do these carry over to the playoffs? If so, I’d prefer him to just talk shit about a ref’s mom or something when we’re up by 30 in a game so we don’t have to worry about this. 

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

I’m sure this has been discussed, but do these carry over to the playoffs? If so, I’d prefer him to just talk shit about a ref’s mom or something when we’re up by 30 in a game so we don’t have to worry about this. 

Playoffs is a fresh slate.

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Somebody chasing is gonna drop a game.  We also have Cleveland on a back to back, so I’m sure we will fuck this up somehow.

Somebody chasing isn't gonna drop a game, and will gain on us if we do our Jekyll and Hyde routine against an over-matched Cleveland.  I think the "win/loss" sentiment is valid.

Edited by idigTexas
OU sucks

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Effectively a 2 game lead over the Lakers with 6 games left. Not a single one of those 6 games is against a team with a winning record (Memphis is .500), whereas 3 of the Lakers’ last 6 games are against playoff teams. What could go wrong?!

vs. Teams Over .500 25 -14  
vs. Teams Below .500 13 -14  

doomed!

4 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Somebody chasing isn't gonna drop a game, and will gain on us if we do our Jekyll and Hyde routine against an over-matched Cleveland.  I think the "win/loss" sentiment is valid.

It doesn't matter if one wins. The goal is to avoid the 7th seed at all cost. One of them losing helps that. I'd love to be two games up on Portland after tonight. 

5 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Does anyone have Zach's blurb about the Mavs

Spoiler

4. The enigma of Dwight Powell
It's no surprise how wildly Powell's role has fluctuated in Dallas. He's a tricky fit. He's a rim-runner -- the most dangerous screen-and-dive threat for Luka Doncic -- but he can't protect the rim on defense. Opponents are shooting 70% at the basket with Powell nearby, one of the fattest figures among big men. Ball handlers go right through Powell as if he isn't there.

He's a (way) below-average rebounder; lineups with Powell as the only big have been squishy on defense for years. Pairing him with another non-shooting big man is mostly a no-go.

His ideal frontcourt partner can block shots and shoot 3s. The Mavs have two such players in Kristaps Porzingis and Maxi Kleber. Dallas outscored opponents by about 12 points per 100 possessions last season with those two combinations on the floor. The Kleber version has been good this season; the Porzingis version has hemorrhaged points on defense in limited minutes.

Powell is not super well equipped to chase stretchy power forwards on defense either, and he has to do that next to Porzingis because Porzingis is too slow. Kleber is more versatile.

Playing two bigs alongside Doncic squeezes the Mavs' perimeter rotation, and in some cases makes Dallas a little plodding.

Most of the Mavs' role players have been up and down, so having options is nice. The Mavs are 30-15 since an 8-13 start in which they were upended by the virus, so they have clearly figured some things out. But night to night, you never know quite what you are getting. There have been clunkers where it feels like they just can't find themselves. Powell -- even amid a strong recent run -- epitomizes that haziness.

5. Keep an eye on Josh Green
Green has drawn angst from Mavs fans. He has played only 364 minutes. He's 3-of-21 on 3s. Meanwhile, Saddiq Bey -- taken one spot after Green -- and Desmond Bane are thriving as 3-and-maybe-D prototypes with some off-the-bounce juice.

But count me as at least a mild Green optimist. The fastest way to tell if a seldom-used rookie has any chance is to look for glimpses of advanced feel -- the ability to read the game in real time, or even from one step ahead. For deep bench rookies, that reveals itself in small things -- extra passes, on-time rotations, the occasional canny drive-and-kick.

Green has flashed those signs. A lot of his extra passes -- even some from midair, in heavy traffic -- are touch passes, indicating Green knows where he wants to go before he gets the ball.

He understands how defenses shift, and manipulates them with look-away passes:

He rotates in sync with the offense, arriving on time -- and sometimes before the defense expects him:

I get the Bane and Bey envy. Green is miles behind them as a shooter. But don't give up on him yet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1