2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

348639155a7a41b560d7c2b81c00d86d.jpg
Never forget.

They’re 30-14 since this infamous tweet.

This is a good team despite what the “sky is falling” and “Luka is leaving next year” idiots in here were crying about.

No they won’t win the title this year. But they’re in good shape. A year or 2 ahead of schedule.

They need to swing for the fenced this offseason and not play it safe, but they actually have a future. And some good young players with potential.

• Hook 'Em 2

They're fine but I wouldn't say they are ahead of schedule. They have a generational transcendent player and have maybe 4 other guys on the roster that could be meaningful contributors to a championship squad and zero reliable second options. THJ is painfully inconsistent. KP is perpetually pained. Powell is a one-trick pony. They have probably two years before the window starts to close.

They're fine but I wouldn't say they are ahead of schedule. They have a generational transcendent player and have maybe 4 other guys on the roster that could be meaningful contributors to a championship squad and zero reliable second options. THJ is painfully inconsistent. KP is perpetually pained. Powell is a one-trick pony. They have probably two years before the window starts to close.
I think the window is huge. 10 years. Our core is Luka, THj, brunson, maxi, and DFS. Build around them. Get a legitimate 2nd piece. Get athletic wing defenders. Get a big who can defend and rebound. Hope the rookies develop.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I think the window is huge. 10 years. Our core is Luka, THj, brunson, maxi, and DFS. Build around them. Get a legitimate 2nd piece. Get athletic wing defenders. Get a big who can defend and rebound. Hope the rookies develop.

You must have missed the very informed posters upthread saying that Luka is leaving. It's pretty much wraps on this window.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

You must have missed the very informed posters upthread saying that Luka is leaving. It's pretty much wraps on this window.
He's not going anywhere. Not when we're the only team that can give him a supermax contract.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Llogg said:

Nah, they were literally a Top 5 Lottery team less than 3 years ago, and have only had one late Teens pick since.  They weren't supposed to be legit contenders for about 5 years(took Steph and other MUCH longer), and here we are as Mavs fans bemoaning that they're "only the 5th seed, and struggling to do that" in year 3 of Luka.

The  problem is Luka's quick development from great rookie to MVP candidate last season warp speeded our expectations to being Top 4 seed contender THIS year, when they simply didn't have the roster or ability to makes moves, to actually become a Finals contending roster.

So yes, they're AT LEAST a year ahead of schedule, maybe 2 IMO.  

And the window is closing fast? Based on what?  Even their older key contributors like THJ and Maxi are just 28.  You're acting like they're over 30.  They have to make moves, but the window hasn't even opened for them yet.

9 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
13 hours ago, Llogg said:

Yep.  Provided they actually are aggressive and keep adding pieces and trying to get better, Luka will be here at least a decade and that window stays open as long as he's here with good role players.

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Yep. Based on them not winning a Title this year, or not adding last offseason in a shortened Covid filled off season, Luka is gone.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
7 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

He's not going anywhere. Not when we're the only team that can give him a supermax contract.

Yep.  He'll be here 8 years at least before he considers leaving(like AD stayed with the Pelicans).  if around year 7 of Luka we haven't made any improvement or become legit contenders like the Pelicans never did...then maybe he starts thinking it.

But honestly, even when the Pels were making the playoffs, they were much lower seeds with no chance.  There are people who think the Mavs and legit upset a higher seed THIS year.

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

So with tie-breaker over Lakers (and tie-breaker in event of 3-way tie)... 3 wins guarantees play-in avoidance, right?

Yep. Magic number is 3. And I think it’s 5 to clinch the 5th seed. With Denver falling to 4th, I really want that matchup. 

19 hours ago, Llogg said:

Seriously, just shut the fuck up and wait for the next loss so you can gang up with your fellow ass-talkers.

• Haha 1

Just now, threesheets said:

Seriously, just shut the fuck up and wait for the next loss so you can gang up with your fellow ass-talkers.

What did I say that was either predicting doom and gloom or really predicting anything? I'm saying that when you have a player like Luka the clock starts ticking immediately. That doesn't mean every non-championship season is a disaster, but it means the window is open and every year it doesn't happen is a year of opportunity you don't get back. Luka is a championship level player. The team around him is not even at supporting level on a consistent basis. If they haven't won a title in the next 2-3 years but then win one with Luka after that, how many of the current players do you think will still be on that future championship team? I would say 3 maybe 4.

Anyway, it must be weird having such an emotional response to such a bland comment about some guys that wear laundry you like.

We’ve got a puncher’s chance against anyone we meet in the playoffs.  Anyone.  We would probably be favored against a few higher seeds given that home court advantage is basically meaningless this year.  Some of y’all need to put your big boy panties on and get ready for the postseason.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Llogg said:

What did I say that was either predicting doom and gloom or really predicting anything? I'm saying that when you have a player like Luka the clock starts ticking immediately. That doesn't mean every non-championship season is a disaster, but it means the window is open and every year it doesn't happen is a year of opportunity you don't get back. Luka is a championship level player. The team around him is not even at supporting level on a consistent basis. If they haven't won a title in the next 2-3 years but then win one with Luka after that, how many of the current players do you think will still be on that future championship team? I would say 3 maybe 4.

Anyway, it must be weird having such an emotional response to such a bland comment about some guys that wear laundry you like.

What's weird is having to visit this stupid ass thread (I don't have to, granted) and watch armchair coaches/gms that don't have an ounce of a fucking clue, bitch about a team that is streaking right now.

What do you know about our complimentary players aside from how they pissed you off last time we lost?  Nothing.  Or how they compare to the guys you know jack shit about on the teams above us. Zero.

Your clock is retarded. Find me a guy that won a title in his first five years. 

Also, let’s be real: Luka being a pg makes this a much more attractive spot to land FA than in years past IMO. The fact that he’s what, 21? Make it even more appealing. He’s going to make a lot of other players a lot of money in his career. Dirk was the GOAT in Dallas, but I could see how it would be more appealing to plan with someone like Luka 

14 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Let’s play again, this time without the team being stacked and upper end playoff caliber when the star joins the team. (Wasted Dirk makes me cry)

I mean, that's the point though isn't it? We aren't debating whether Luka's a stud that can carry a team to a title. We're debating whether the organization is run at a championship level to construct the necessary team around him.

On 5/8/2021 at 12:20 PM, conVINCEd said:

No player in the history of the league has turned down the firstmax contract from the team that drafted them.

I mean that’s essentially what KP did is it not?  he didn’t wait until free agency but if he wanted to be there and sign the extension he could have done it. 

On 5/9/2021 at 12:59 AM, threesheets said:

And say Wade mf'er.

Fuck Wade.

-Everyone

On 5/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, Llogg said:

Magic. Bird. Duncan. I'm sure there are others.

All dropped in on ready made Title contenders. C'mon Bro. Do better.

Me: the Mavs are not a great organization and are potentially squandering a transformative generational superstar.

You guys: name one player that won a championship early in their career.

Me: here's several

You guys: lol those teams were already stacked

Me: exactly, their organizations were poised to take advantage of individual greatness

You guys: get him!

Edited by Llogg
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

Me: the Mavs are not a great organization and are potentially squandering a transformative generational superstar.

You guys: name one player that won a championship early in their career.

Me: here's several

You guys: lol those teams were already stacked

Me: exactly, their organizations were poised to take advantage of individual greatness

You guys: get him!

Ok bruh