2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

I wasn't even talking about the Road games(all though the travel this year has been talked about as tougher with less time between games) but the actual strength of schedule.  They had a top 3 toughest schedule to this point.  They haven't played any of the real scrub type teams yet.

I don't think Luka is a problem. Yes he needs help, and I liked what I saw out of Richardson last night defensively and taking it to the hoop and hitting some mid range shots late.

a whole lot of you are getting quite hyperbolic on our recent play and in looking for a scapegoat have rick zeroed in on the crosshairs , but only rick could have come up with this gem.  four years ago today.  

Bobby Karalla‏@bobbykaralla 4 years ago
Wesley Matthews said during a 2Q TO, Rick Carlisle literally drew a reset button, and Seth Curry literally pushed it. Launched a Mavs run.

Edited by gsoda3
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

The losing streak is over. It’s great to win, but a lot of the same issues. Out-rebounded, outshot from 3, and very shaky in clutch time. 

the FT's put us over the top today.  KP and Doncic need to up their game from 3.

16 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

What was/is Stephen Silas known for as a coach? I wonder if we are missing something he brought to the team. Once Houston got the Harden deal situated, he seems to have them rolling pretty good.

He was the OC.  Good win tonight.  We’re better than our record and hopefully that begins to show with the easy schedule the next few weeks

• Like 1

People are going to label the TNT halftime crew as anachronistic cavemen, who long for a game long since passed, but they had a point on Porzingis. Those halftime clips of Kristaps running from the paint with a midget guarding him only to launch a 30 ft three with that same midget guarding him was fucking laughable.

38 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I'm not sure how reconcile this in my head. Is the problem KP or Rick? I honestly do not know at this point. 

Both are flawed. I'd like to see what Luka/KP can do with a different voice and direction. Rick is stale now. Coaches are much more disposable than players.

We desperately need another legit scorer. If we got that, maybe KP could look better, I don't know. But the whole "Wait until Luka/KP are healthy" outlook is old now. It is not producing results we thought we would get. A better surrounding roster could make them look better, though. Absolutely could. This roster is so flawed around them two.

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I'm not sure how reconcile this in my head. Is the problem KP or Rick? I honestly do not know at this point. 

But the schedule gets easier, we aren't back yet, yada yada....miracle if this team makes the playoffs.  This is Rick Carlisle-Dallas Basketball.  

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Both are flawed. I'd like to see what Luka/KP can do with a different voice and direction. Rick is stale now. Coaches are much more disposable than players.

We desperately need another legit scorer. If we got that, maybe KP could look better, I don't know. But the whole "Wait until Luka/KP are healthy" outlook is old now. It is not producing results we thought we would get. A better surrounding roster could make them look better, though. Absolutely could. This roster is so flawed around them two.

KP is a #3 at best. failure as a #2. Does anyone worth a shit want to play with Doncic?

3 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

It may be Rick.  It's definitely Porzingis although he played okay tonight offensively.  He's just not that 2nd guy on a contender.  He's more of #3 and with his injury risk, you have to start wondering what's his upside?  

5 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Golden State with 100 points with 4 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. Strong D!

5 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

1) C Webb is regarded
2) Christ this team is soft

Off-season moves were made to shore up the defense and to become a tougher team.

5 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I'm starting to think we're just a bad basketball team. 

We/the Mavs are a bad team.

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

147 points....

The worst +/- performance on Golden State was some guy who was only +11.

The Mavs had two guys who came on late who were only +/- 0. Everyone else was negative.

5 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

And they were missing key players...

Golden State didn't PLAY anyone over 6'7".

Porzingas should have had ZERO 3 attempts on the night. (I hate having that guy on the team.)

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Off-season moves were made to shore up the defense and to become a tougher team.

We/the Mavs are a bad team.

The worst +/- performance on Golden State was some guy who was only +11.

The Mavs had two guys who came on late who were only +/- 0. Everyone else was negative.

Golden State didn't PLAY anyone over 6'7".

Porzingas should have had ZERO 3 attempts on the night. (I hate having that guy on the team.)

KP needs to go have a fundamental session with the big Fundamental and learn how to make a bank shot.  Every time he does stay 'near' the post with a smaller defender on him, he misses a bank shot from 10-12'.  The Mavs just cannot shoot and make baskets.  Watch any other good team and their 'just-a-guy' starters make fucking buckets.  Mavs shooting is putrid.  It's either talent, slumping or scheme is not getting the right players the right shots.  maybe a little from col a,b and c

12 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Think Rick is gone after the season but how do we get more talent? 

It's difficult when you are against the cap and don't have a ton of talent to move.

They will not be against the cap going into the off-season. THJ and Johnson are expiring deals which will either lead to a lot of cap space in the summer or be very appealing in trades. 

39 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Well let's move them because this team is a lottery team. 

What about Donnie Nelson? Anyone think he's been doing a good job?

Donnie is decent in recognizing high level talent(mainly Euros) but IMO, he's shitty on the second level/role player.  I could be convinced that it isn't Donnie but Rick not being able to get the team to play together.

For some reason, and I'm not positive what it is, the Mavericks can't get any big time FA's to come here and that is a huge problem.  It could be the owner, it could be the coach, could be the city.  The only thing you can change is the coach.

The Mavs will lose Luka after the 2023 season (he is a restricted free agent after '22 season) if don’t get a 3rd super star to stretch the floor, take scoring load off Luka, etc.  Bradley Beal (27 yo) is the perfect addition.  The Mavs need to offer the Wizards their: ‘22 (super draft), ‘24, ‘25, and ‘26 1st rounds + Hardaway+Powell (cap match).

This deal is not too far off the Nets Harden trade where they traded away their '22, '24, and '26 first round picks and pick swaps for '21, '23, '25, and '27 plus Caris Levert, Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, and Rodions Kurucs.  So this proposed offer to Wizards has one more 1st round pick, but less players and no pick swaps.  So, maybe to get the deal done the Mavs would have to throw in Brunson (one of the few young cheap Mavs who is playing well right now) and picks swaps in '27 and '28.  The Mavs traded away their '21 and '23 first round picks to the Knicks for Porzingis.

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

They will not be against the cap going into the off-season. THJ and Johnson are expiring deals which will either lead to a lot of cap space in the summer or be very appealing in trades. 

What does the cap space for the summer ever get us? Mavs are like the Cowboys in that regard. We miss out on all the big names that make an impact and have to settle for the leftovers. Every single time. We have been talking about cap space since immediately after the title. We were going to clear space to go after DWill and Dwight. We fell on our face and missed both of them. We then tried to save face and trade for Odom which was a disaster.

Dallas is like OKC. They built their team in the draft. Organic. And filled in around them very well. No one wants to head to OKC to play unless they are drafted or traded there. Dallas is the same way. No big names are coming here. Unless Luka is going to make that happen. We will see but not holding my breath. With that being said, we absolutely have to hit on the draft to be successful. And we have not. Donnie wanted the Greak Freak and Cuban said nope. Luckily we got Luka a few years later. But have did a poor job building around him.

And Rick is not the coach for young players. Who has he developed in his time here? He's lucky Luka was already seasoned as a pro when he came here. I suspect Dallas wants to build a young roster to go forward. He isn't the guy for that. He was better suited for the 2011 team which was vets who didn't really need his leadership like a young player does.

I just wonder how the front office is feeling right now. How much patience will they have for Rick and KP? This is now Luka's 3rd season and we are at the bottom of the West.

Knicks I think will win the KP trade in the end. They get rid of him and wash their hands and then could get some good draft picks if Dallas doesn't come around. But getting rid of him was a win for them off the top. The rest was gravy. Especially the draft picks. At the time, so many thought we would be at the top of the West so the picks would not matter at all.

i hope we start winning again if only to bring reason back to this thread.

also we don't need more offense as badly as we need more interior defensive presence. 

what would help immediately, immensely, is rebounding better on defense.  we're so much better when we're in transition.  body up your man.  instead we get a bunch of guys just watching when the shot goes up.  

i hope we see a heavy dose of boban when we run it back.

9 hours ago, UT Lax said:
The Mavs will lose Luka after the 2023 season (he is a restricted free agent after '22 season) if don’t get a 3rd super star to stretch the floor, take scoring load off Luka, etc.  Bradley Beal (27 yo) is the perfect addition.  The Mavs need to offer the Wizards their: ‘22 (super draft), ‘24, ‘25, and ‘26 1st rounds + Hardaway+Powell (cap match).

This deal is not too far off the Nets Harden trade where they traded away their '22, '24, and '26 first round picks and pick swaps for '21, '23, '25, and '27 plus Caris Levert, Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, and Rodions Kurucs.  So this proposed offer to Wizards has one more 1st round pick, but less players and no pick swaps.  So, maybe to get the deal done the Mavs would have to throw in Brunson (one of the few young cheap Mavs who is playing well right now) and picks swaps in '27 and '28.  The Mavs traded away their '21 and '23 first round picks to the Knicks for Porzingis.

You can’t trade draft picks in consecutive years so this trade is completely impossible. 

You can’t trade draft picks in consecutive years so this trade is completely impossible. 

Yes, the Stepien Rule! I realized it after I posted this. Therefore, the Mavs need to do a trade for Beal after '21 draft (or pick up extra late '21 1st), then they can trade their '22, '24, '26 and '28 first round picks if pick up an expected late '23 1st (Bucks, Lakers, Clipper, Jazz). To accomplish all of this, they would also need to add some 1st round swaps in '23, '25 & '27, some of their 2nd round picks, and Brunson, & Finney-Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

Yes, the Stepien Rule! I realized it after I posted this. Therefore, the Mavs need to do a trade for Beal after '21 draft (or pick up extra late '21 1st), then they can trade their '22, '24, '26 and '28 first round picks if pick up an expected late '23 1st (Bucks, Lakers, Clipper, Jazz). To accomplish all of this, they would also need to add some 1st round swaps in '23, '25 & '27, some of their 2nd round picks, and Brunson, & Finney-Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sort of expect him to move by the deadline this year, maybe?  
warriors make sense but so would the Mavs. They don’t have as much value as the warriors do, but no idea if the dubs want to go all in. 
If I’m Dallas I’d be all in on Beal.