2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

I hate to go into Vic mode after a win, but Luka predetermining that he is going to take a step back three before he crosses half court is not a healthy habit.  Game was tied, he needs to push, push, push, and try to get to the rim.  One free throw wins it there, and if he draws the entire D, dump it off for a dunk or wide open J.  That said, Luka fucks.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I hate to go into Vic mode after a win, but Luka predetermining that he is going to take a step back three before he crosses half court is not a healthy habit.  Game was tied, he needs to push, push, push, and try to get to the rim.  One free throw wins it there, and if he draws the entire D, dump it off for a dunk or wide open J.  That said, Luka fucks.

It looked like to me he was just in the zone and he knew it. I have zero problems with that

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Tell me where the better play was than his step back. four guys in white cheating to cut off penetration, zero guys in blue making an effort to get open.

Screenshot_2021-02-23_22-02-51.png

He walked the ball up with 7 seconds left.   You eliminate a lot of options when you do that.  Everyone on the planet knew what he was doing.  It worked, I’m happy.  I would be happier if he would have gotten his ass in gear, probed a bit, and used the step back as a last resort.

Yeah but, where’s the fun in that? I completely get what your saying and don’t disagree completely.

But guys make their names and build their legends in shots like that. It’s why Dame is so highly regarded despite never doing anything but getting to the WCF.

In this particular case it was a “team with the ball last will win” situation and he was killing the clock. Worst case is he missed and there’s no time left and they go to OT.

I’ve been preaching he falls in love with that 3 way too easy. But, to be fair, after starting the year shooting like crap from 3, he’s shot it so well the last month or so that he’s all the way up to 34/35% from 3. If he can keep his average around there, and can utilize it smarter, he’s just that much more dangerous.

Tell me where the better play was than his step back. four guys in white cheating to cut off penetration, zero guys in blue making an effort to get open.
Screenshot_2021-02-23_22-02-51.png.4a681eb1be09c8730dbe2b8072dbac7a.png

Lol 3 guys in white just staring at him too. It was clear they were collapsing and going to accept any one else taking the last shot.

33 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

So I'm just going to ask it: they've now won two in a row without KP and have looked a lot better defensively; that has to be a little bit damning, no?

they are 7-5 w/o KP this season and I think they had a wining record w/o him last season as well.  I think the defensive metrics go way up when he is not on the floor, but there are games when KP will get 6 blocks and you think it's alright.  

KP is unguardable as far as getting his shot off, but very guardable if he is missing that bankshot from 12'.  so it's a mismatch tradeoff both ways, but if the guy KP is defending can get the rim at will it takes a tremendously hot hand for him to keep the balance. 

throw old school fundamentals out the window on Luka's last shot.  you need the ball to go in with no time on the clock.  That's Luka's shot and he obviously works on that stepback a ton.  He was perfectly set; he chose the exact spot we was going to shoot from and had a clean look.  If he drives, they collapse and he has to pass.  Not sure i want anyone else to take the last shot. Contrast that with Texas' last possession in regulation vs Kansas.  About the same scenario, but Texas took a running fade-away 3.  not a good shot, not one they had practiced and worked on and was taken with a man right in his face.  you can say Texas should have driven or run something else there and i agree.

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

And yet, you did anyway.

And not after just any ol' win. But a win in which your young superstar hit a last second step-back ice-cold bad-motherfucker dagger of a three to end the game. That's full-on satya shit right there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Good fucking god. Luka took the ball out with 9 seconds left at the other baseline. Sorry we didn't have time to run four high across-slug-motion left. Everyone hates on all the iso shit cause it can be boring, but y'all do realize that a Luka isolation (ESPECIALLY if the defense is switching all screens) has a higher expected PPP than ANYTHING ELSE THE MAVS COULD POSSIBLY RUN. That's why so many team instantly double. And that's fine cause Luka is going to find the open man who is going to get a wide open look.

Edited by CBT
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CBT said:

Good fucking god. Luka took the ball out with 9 seconds left at the other baseline. Sorry we didn't have time to run four high across-slug-motion left. Everyone hates on all the iso shit cause it can be boring, but y'all do realize that a Luka isolation (ESPECIALLY if the defense is switching all screens) has a higher expected PPP than ANYTHING ELSE THE MAVS COULD POSSIBLY RUN. 

only one person has argued otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

I am seeing more tweets/articles about KP trade rumors. Cuban has denied it.

Most of the scenarios the Mavs taking back expiring contracts, draft picks, and young players with potential. All of the ones I read had me very meh.

i saw one yesterday which probably had no legs at all that had us taking wiseman, someone else, and one of their protected picks for kp, green, johnson, and one of our picks.  

7 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

So I'm just going to ask it: they've now won two in a row without KP and have looked a lot better defensively; that has to be a little bit damning, no?

You're not the only one asking.  I"m not quite on the trade KP at all costs bandwagon, as we really saw a GOOD player in the Bubble and last half of the season before...but we've seen that way too little for my liking.

5 hours ago, CBT said:

Good fucking god. Luka took the ball out with 9 seconds left at the other baseline. Sorry we didn't have time to run four high across-slug-motion left. Everyone hates on all the iso shit cause it can be boring, but y'all do realize that a Luka isolation (ESPECIALLY if the defense is switching all screens) has a higher expected PPP than ANYTHING ELSE THE MAVS COULD POSSIBLY RUN. That's why so many team instantly double. And that's fine cause Luka is going to find the open man who is going to get a wide open look.

They should have run the Picket Fence tbh...

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I'd do that in a heartbeat, so GS won't.

Everyone should.  I'd like to keep Green as his potential as a 3andD is much higher than DFS...but I'd do that deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/24/2021 at 11:26 AM, RexWilson said:

I am seeing more tweets/articles about KP trade rumors. Cuban has denied it.

Most of the scenarios the Mavs taking back expiring contracts, draft picks, and young players with potential. All of the ones I read had me very meh.

they may not move him but they are seeing what everyone else is seeing.  he's not a #2 that can take you to the next level.  too fragile and is a negative on D.

They're not trash.  Far from it. They ran into a buzz saw.  Anyone who had them winning Last night, or against the Nets, is a bigger homer than me.  They need to just win the last 2 games before the Break, and then they got a pretty easy schedule after the Break.

Still expecting them to make a move(KP or not).

2 hours ago, Drew said:

They're not trash.  Far from it. They ran into a buzz saw.  Anyone who had them winning Last night, or against the Nets, is a bigger homer than me.  They need to just win the last 2 games before the Break, and then they got a pretty easy schedule after the Break.

Still expecting them to make a move(KP or not).

this is true they aren't trash.  they are just a team that is very likely not going to make the playoffs.  they could maybe sneak out an 8 seed.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:39 PM, dcar00 said:

Insert Vic's claim that they're close to being trash than a contender here.  Quoted the wrong post, sorry. 

Merely having a top five player makes that statement fucking absurd right off the bat. 

Throw it on the pile with the rest I guess. 

Edited by threesheets
Fucked it up.
  • Like 1