2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

Also, blow an uncontested layup to tie and get rewarded with an offensive rebound. Get tied up and then lose the jump ball and get rewarded with the ball out of bounds. To set up the winning 3 where Dallas doesn’t foul in 8 seconds of Paul dribbling for some reason. Just an improbable last possession for phx. 

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

It’s really hard to see a way out of this. This team is going to have to win 8 or 9 straight just to get back in the thick of things. That’s really tough to see right now. 

they are done.  its Luka and spares and Rick.   this team isn't mentally prepared to win.  This can easily spiral out of control.

we were 24 of 25 from the line and had a 14 FT made advantage and still couldn't win.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Pop is gonna take the spurs to the playoffs again and we are stuck with Rick.

If Rick coached the Spurs, our fans would give him a pass because of lack of talent.

We always hear how much Rick does with how little he has. Exactly when has he ever overcame the odds with lesser talent? If you want to say the 2011 team, I mean, they were full of great vet talent. It was a perfect storm. And we would have probably been a 1 seed had Dirk and Butler not been hurt. So let's not act like that was some bottom seed team that overcame all the odds.

But many Mavs fans will tell you he walks on water and invented the game. Almighty Rick. So lucky to have him.

1 minute ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Is there any teams out there that want to take some of our bad players and give us some good ones? We have at least five guys getting minutes that would be more end of the bench types on other teams. 

Not sure how Rick survives after the season.

Cuban doesn't have the balls to fire RIck.  he's a pussy.

Relax. We're a quarter way through the season and we're starting to get everyone back. We're going to be just fine. We played a lot better tonight than we have the past couple of weeks. We actually played pretty good defense in spurts. Once this hellish part of the schedule is done and we get our legs back we're going to be hard to stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Cuban fired Avery after taking a team to the finals and being a number 1 seed the next year. That’s a stupid statement. 

if you remove the one NBA champ year he as won exactly 1 playoff series in the 12 seasons he has been the coach.  Cuban is going to waste Doncic if he keeps him.

Just now, gsoda3 said:

Relax. We're a quarter way through the season and we're starting to get everyone back. We're going to be just fine. We played a lot better tonight than we have the past couple of weeks. We actually played pretty good defense in spurts. Once this hellish part of the schedule is done and we get our legs back we're going to be hard to stop.

My concern is that RC is going to have lost the team by the time the “hellish part of the schedule” is over. In hindsight, the blowout when we were short-handed should have been a red flag. We still had our two best players but we’re being ran out of the gym 

1 minute ago, LurkingHorn said:

Cuban fired Avery after taking a team to the finals and being a number 1 seed the next year. That’s a stupid statement. 

He specifically said too pussy to fire Rick specifically. Avery is not Rick. No reason to even compare the two.

It's really not a stupid statement. I'd love to know why a thought to change coaches never even crosses minds of fans or media. Hell, the Rangers are on their 3rd manager since their back to back WS. With the exact same results since their success i.e. nada. Not one series win. Blunder after blunder. Yet not a peep about him. Just come out and say he gets a lifetime pass for the lone ring. I will actually understand (not agree). But if you won't say that, there is literally nothing he has did since then to warrant still coaching here.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

if you remove the one NBA champ year he as won exactly 1 playoff series in the 12 seasons he has been the coach.  Cuban is going to waste Doncic if he keeps him.

Do I need to remind everyone of the stupid amount of roster turnover after 2011? We floated in no man’s land for 5 seasons before we finally decided to tank. Pointing to playoff series wins is a stupid argument. He’s clearly been out-gunned roster wise just about every postseason. 

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

He specifically said too pussy to fire Rick specifically. Avery is not Rick. No reason to even compare the two.

It's really not a stupid statement. I'd love to know why a thought to change coaches never even crosses minds of fans or media. Hell, the Rangers are on their 3rd manager since their back to back WS. With the exact same results since their success i.e. nada. Not one series win. Blunder after blunder. Yet not a peep about him. Just come out and say he gets a lifetime pass for the lone ring. I will actually understand (not agree). But if you won't say that, there is literally nothing he has did since then to warrant still coaching here.

What are you talking about? Firing Rick literally comes up every season from the mouth breathers. 

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

you realize the schedule really doesn't get any easier.  its every other day the whole season basically. sure this stretch was more difficult but we weren't competitive in many of the games.

The West is going to chew the mentally deficient and poorly coached team up.  I'll gladly eat crow if we actually make the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

What are you talking about? Firing Rick literally comes up every season from the mouth breathers. 

actually I've never mentioned firing Rick until this season.  This is damning how uncompetitive they have been.  Doncic was right.  they play like they don't care, but I think it is more they aren't mentally prepared. and thats on Rick.  Doncic is not immune to the criticism.  He's fucking around out there on D and Rebounding sometimes like its an All Star game.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

actually I've never mentioned firing Rick until this season.  This is damning how uncompetitive they have been.  Doncic was right.  they play like they don't care, but I think it is more they aren't mentally prepared. and thats on Rick.  Doncic is not immune to the criticism.  He's fucking around out there on D and Rebounding sometimes like its an All Star game.

Firing the coach has come up in every season thread for probably the last 4 or 5 years. I didn’t single you out. Not sure why you took it that way. 

9 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

He's sub 32% for his career. He's not that great a 3pt shooter.   We miss Curry a lot no matter what anyone says.  this team could use a little JJB attitude as well.   DFS is back down to earth.

maybe something will change and certainly the bad luck with covid hurt but the bad signs are there.

• Like 1

We have the worst 3 point % in the NBA, get crushed on the boards every game, and our defense is abysmal.
Other than that we're in good shape.

Basically the exact opposite of what you could have anticipated before the season. Sure, losing Seth was gonna hurt a little, and I know some of us thought that was a dumb move, but the potential gains in rebounding/defense seemed worth the squeeze.

At this point, that couldn’t be further from the truth...

6 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Basically the exact opposite of what you could have anticipated before the season. Sure, losing Seth was gonna hurt a little, and I know some of us thought that was a dumb move, but the potential gains in rebounding/defense seemed worth the squeeze.

At this point, that couldn’t be further from the truth...

To add to this, the three best players (Luka, KP, & Richardson) are shooting 30% or under from 3 on the season so far. If that doesn't get better, no amount of coaching is going to change things. You cannot have the 7th most attempts in the league and be 30th in %. 

58 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

To add to this, the three best players (Luka, KP, & Richardson) are shooting 30% or under from 3 on the season so far. If that doesn't get better, no amount of coaching is going to change things. You cannot have the 7th most attempts in the league and be 30th in %. 

well then fire Donnie or someone because this is ridiculous.  we all knew the 3 point shooting was going to shit without Curry.

KP is whatever - I never know what to expect from him game to game.

Luka is a 31%

THJ is streaky as fuck and always has been.

DFS shot out of his mind last year and is now back to suck

If Kleber takes and makes more 3ptrs I suppose he could replace Curry

The damning thing on Rick is the D and rebounding is awful.  He can't coach guys to make wide open shots but he has to be responsible for something right?  I mean if he's not responsible for O or D or Rebounding then what the fuck are we paying him for?  Its sure not for winning a playoff series.

Like the Cowboys, the Mavs front office overrates their roster way too much. We absolutely have to have a better surrounding cast around Luka. This current cast will not get it done. They can be streaky and can steal a few games in a playoff series as a low seed but they are never going to compete. When DFS is playing as much as he does, that is never a good sign. How many minutes would he get on a true contender? Hardly any? Something needs to be fixed with this roster as it fills out around Luka. It is extremely flawed.

I just wonder how much patience they are going to have with KP. Donnie and Cuban had to know this would happen unless they prayed KP would miraculously change his health and they would hit the lottery. But his injuries for someone of his height and how he plays is a huge concern. We are here right now, gave him a ton of money and still don't even know what he can do for us.

35 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

well then fire Donnie or someone because this is ridiculous.  we all knew the 3 point shooting was going to shit without Curry.

KP is whatever - I never know what to expect from him game to game.

Luka is a 31%

THJ is streaky as fuck and always has been.

DFS shot out of his mind last year and is now back to suck

If Kleber takes and makes more 3ptrs I suppose he could replace Curry

The damning thing on Rick is the D and rebounding is awful.  He can't coach guys to make wide open shots but he has to be responsible for something right?  I mean if he's not responsible for O or D or Rebounding then what the fuck are we paying him for?  Its sure not for winning a playoff series.

I'm not arguing against the rebounding and D needing to be better. The D was really good until we lost everyone two weeks ago. Surely they can find it again. 

25 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Like the Cowboys, the Mavs front office overrates their roster way too much. We absolutely have to have a better surrounding cast around Luka. This current cast will not get it done. They can be streaky and can steal a few games in a playoff series as a low seed but they are never going to compete. When DFS is playing as much as he does, that is never a good sign. How many minutes would he get on a true contender? Hardly any? Something needs to be fixed with this roster as it fills out around Luka. It is extremely flawed.

I just wonder how much patience they are going to have with KP. Donnie and Cuban had to know this would happen unless they prayed KP would miraculously change his health and they would hit the lottery. But his injuries for someone of his height and how he plays is a huge concern. We are here right now, gave him a ton of money and still don't even know what he can do for us.

What on Earth makes you think they overrate their roster? Doesn't the fact that they made several moves this past offseason indicate they know they had areas of need? Do you also think they are satisfied with the roster as it currently sits? You know the answers to these questions but you seem to want to complain for the purpose of complaining. 

17 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Pretty sure the front office realizes they need better players around Luka but how do we get them?

How many teams will trade you good players for your below average ones?

They are about to have a TON of cap space with THJ and James Johnson coming off the books. They could also leverage those expiring contracts in a trade this season. 

4 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

They are about to have a TON of cap space with THJ and James Johnson coming off the books. They could also leverage those expiring contracts in a trade this season. 

this is true.  the problem is they tend to strike out in free agency more often then not.  not sure if it was don't want to play for Cuban or Rick or it was they didn't want to play with later era Dirk.

We are going to find out if anyone wants to play with Doncic.

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this is true.  the problem is they tend to strike out in free agency more often then not.  not sure if it was don't want to play for Cuban or Rick or it was they didn't want to play with later era Dirk.

We are going to find out if anyone wants to play with Doncic.

No one wanted to really come here before Rick as well. I am trying to think of the biggest FA we have landed. Our biggest stars we have either drafted (Dirk, Luka) or we have traded for like Kidd, Tyson Chandler, Jason Terry, Steve Nash, Jerry Stackhouse. I think Marion was a sign and trade with Toronto or Miami. KP was also a trade.

At some point, you have to land some free agents without giving up any current players or draft capital. Look at the Warriors did with KD. Lakers with Lebron. The Heat when they got Bosh and Lebron. All those moves changed the NBA landscape. Or Lebron going back to Cleveland after Miami. Dallas never has a chance in the world for these players. Some think we now have a better shot with Luka but we will see. Is it Cuban and the front office? Does no one want to come to Dallas itself as it isn't "sexy" enough for their needs? Or a combo of all of it. It definitely is not flashy like LA, Miami, NY, etc. This is why we had to settle for a seriously injured KP in a trade to pair with Luka. We had no other real options. But KP is definitely not someone who is going to transform you into a contender. So Dallas has to rely on trades and second and third tier free agents to fill out their roster. This is why I always chuckle when people post about the pipe dreams of all these huge free agents that are on the market and how we have a chance.

17 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Exactly. They're about to have 7 of 9 home games against a very week schedule.  Tell me how they're looking after the next 10 games.

17 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

My concern is that RC is going to have lost the team by the time the “hellish part of the schedule” is over. In hindsight, the blowout when we were short-handed should have been a red flag. We still had our two best players but we’re being ran out of the gym 

Why would he? They're playing poorly, not being coaches poorly.  They know what they have in Rick.  

17 hours ago, dcar00 said:

you realize the schedule really doesn't get any easier.  its every other day the whole season basically. sure this stretch was more difficult but we weren't competitive in many of the games.

The West is going to chew the mentally deficient and poorly coached team up.  I'll gladly eat crow if we actually make the playoffs. 

Wait what?!? They literally have the 5th easiest schedule from here on out, after having the 29th toughest before this point. Plus they've STILL played more road games than any team in the league.

No the schedule wasn't the only reason they sucked(covid/missing players, those players not being ready to play like Luka/KP, and obviously some chemistry issues), but I'd be shocked if they don't go on a 6 out of 8 wins run or something in the next week or so.

5 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

What on Earth makes you think they overrate their roster? Doesn't the fact that they made several moves this past offseason indicate they know they had areas of need? Do you also think they are satisfied with the roster as it currently sits? You know the answers to these questions but you seem to want to complain for the purpose of complaining. 

Exactly.  Vic just like's to use hyperbole so much.  Anyone who thinks this front office sucks is nuts.

5 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Pretty sure the front office realizes they need better players around Luka but how do we get them?

How many teams will trade you good players for your below average ones?

I don't think all their players are below average. I think the Starters down to Brunson/THJ are pretty good.  The ones they had playing every night for 3 weeks while 3-5 players are out with Covid aren't.

But that still leaves them with the issue of gutting the roster to get someone even close to what KP was worth when we traded for him.  Much less better.

3 hours ago, threesheets said:

KP coming here was 100% his decision.

I'm still laughing at the notion that Rick was at fault in the Rondo situation.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA holy shit.

Yeah who the fuck think Rick was the issue with Rondo? That piece of shit quit on the Mavs in a playoff series. Fuck him, and Perkins for always taking shots at Rick just because of what Rondo Told him.

1 hour ago, speed817 said:

Every team not named Dallas.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

Wait what?!? They literally have the 5th easiest schedule from here on out, after having the 29th toughest before this point. Plus they've STILL played more road games than any team in the league.

No the schedule wasn't the only reason they sucked(covid/missing players, those players not being ready to play like Luka/KP, and obviously some chemistry issues), but I'd be shocked if they don't go on a 6 out of 8 wins run or something in the next week or so.

Road games mean shit this year. I'm talking about the amount of games in a given span, which means KP being held out because he can't take the pounding.  that 5th easiest schedule will change over time.  we'll see.  we don't have a guy we can count on late if they harass Luka.  He has to get better mentally. he's still young so maybe he gets there.