Texas Roster 2021 -- Turn This Shit Around

LTtxfan

15 minutes ago, Askew said:

There are a few questions I really want answered:

1) How does Sark treat the lowest guys on the depth chart? Actively process them out or let them stay if they want to stay? I think Harrison, Cain, Lee, Alexis are all safe regardless, since they are young guys with potential. But Lewis and Money have to be on the chopping block, with Woodard and Washington right behind if they continue to get passed up by Omeire, Dixon, etc.

2) If Sark actively processes, does he do that in the Spring? It kind of makes sense for '21 recruiting to free up the WR chart, but doesn't really makes sense for the season. Might as well try to keep everyone around and then work it out next Winter. 

3) How many of them go to the NFL next year? Unlikely, but there is a world where Moore, Smith, Whittington absolutely light it up in Sark's offense and all go to the NFL after '21. 

4) How much is Sark willing to balloon the position? If only Schooler and Estell leave, would Sark still recruit 5 elite receivers? 

What Tex said about Money. About the NFL, I guess it's possible but based on what we've seen so far Smith is more likely to portal and Whittington medically retire than both have good enough seasons to declare early. I can see Moore having a big season and declaring but all three is extremely unlikely. 

The numbers will work themselves out even if we aren't sure how. We won't have 12 returning WRs going into 2022, guys will portal out. Whether that's Sark actively processing or players just looking up at 5 guys on the depth chart and wanting to go somewhere to get some PT before their eligibility runs who knows. Point is if we can sign 4 or 5 elite WRs I don't' think there is any way numbers at the position will stop us. 

On 3/15/2021 at 3:58 PM, Askew said:

There are a few questions I really want answered:

1) How does Sark treat the lowest guys on the depth chart? Actively process them out or let them stay if they want to stay? I think Harrison, Cain, Lee, Alexis are all safe regardless, since they are young guys with potential. But Lewis and Money have to be on the chopping block, with Woodard and Washington right behind if they continue to get passed up by Omeire, Dixon, etc.

2) If Sark actively processes, does he do that in the Spring? It kind of makes sense for '21 recruiting to free up the WR chart, but doesn't really makes sense for the season. Might as well try to keep everyone around and then work it out next Winter. 

3) How many of them go to the NFL next year? Unlikely, but there is a world where Moore, Smith, Whittington absolutely light it up in Sark's offense and all go to the NFL after '21. 

4) How much is Sark willing to balloon the position? If only Schooler and Estell leave, would Sark still recruit 5 elite receivers? 

We’re not up against the 85 limit so there’s really no reason to process guys. Just play the best ones and let the other self-select. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Majors you don't often see on a college football roster:

Anthropology-Overshown

Human Dimensions of Organizations-Epps

Government-Dajon and Tannahill Love (walk-on DB)

Biomedical Engineering-Anton Simieou (walk-on LB)

Petroleum Engineering-Doak Wilson (walk-on DB)

Economics-Von Nacher (walk-on K)

Physics-Conner

Biology-Kai Money

Good on these guys for taking a path outside the usual jock majors.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 4:33 PM, Burt Macklin said:

We’re not up against the 85 limit so there’s really no reason to process guys. Just play the best ones and let the other self-select. 

How much more room on the 2021 Roster for more transfers??

• At least one LB is a definite need
  • Wouldn't hurt to add a quality WR if one becomes available
  • Still looking for another OL ??

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

How much more room on the 2021 Roster for more transfers??

• At least one LB is a definite need
  • Wouldn't hurt to add a quality WR if one becomes available
  • Still looking for another OL ??

We're hitting the class counter. With Oghoufo, Davis, Worthy, Gaoteote, mystery LB, and mystery WR all floating out there, OL is probably set.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We're hitting the class counter. With Oghoufo, Davis, Worthy, Gaoteote, mystery LB, and mystery WR all floating out there, OL is probably set.

Also Thornton right??

Thanks TEX !!! 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I wonder if we see a LB or 2 hit the portal.  I didn't get to watch all of the spring game, but I don't remember hearing/seeing Tillman or Ford at all.  

I think we will see exodus from WR/TE. 

seems like we are trying to get depth at all linebacker spots via portal. 

we are pursuing the Bama linebacker, USC linebacker right?

Defensive tackles

mystery WR? 

maybe @Machinator can give and updated run down here for those that don’t venture to recruiting board 

15 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think we will see exodus from WR/TE. 

seems like we are trying to get depth at all linebacker spots via portal. 

we are pursuing the Bama linebacker, USC linebacker right?

Defensive tackles

mystery WR? 

maybe @Machinator can give and updated run down here for those that don’t venture to recruiting board 

Not yet enrolled guys are

EDGE Oghoufo (Notre Dame - publically committed to UT)

EDGE/LB Davis (Bama)

LB Gaoteote (USC)

S Kaufman (Vandy)

WR X

52 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

The defense is going to look the part hopping off the bus. Hopefully PK maximizes his pieces. 

Another class of 2016 guy too. Between, Dunn, Thornton, Davis, and Schooler the average age of our defensive 2-deep would make BYU blush. 

• Haha 1

Detailed article on who's gone, who stayed and who was added

Tracking the transactions that are shaping the Texas football roster in 2021

ByJEFF HOWE 12 hours ago 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-football-tracking-the-transactions-that-are-shaping-the-roster-in-2021-Steve-Sarkisian-NCAA-transfer-portal-2021-NFL-Draft-163873594/#163873594_19

So after another 1st round with no player taken, who are our best chances for the 2022 NFL draft? We probably only have two players with a real shot of playing their way to being 1st day picks next year: Overshown & Josh Thompson. Thompson is probably a reach but physically he has that kind of upside.

Other guys that could be drafted next season:

Jamison, BJ Foster, Jacoby Jones, Thornton, Kerstetter, Coburn, Dunn, Schooler (?)

I think Jamison and Coburn are probably locks to be taken and the rest of the list has a chance with some good tape this season. 

I'm sure I missed somebody obvious but things still look bleak for true top tier talent. It potentially starts to look better in 2023 with Collins and Bijan. One takeaway is I think our defense has the potential to be pretty damn good this season with our combination of experience and hyper talented underclassmen. 

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So he quit on this team and no one else wanted him.....I'd say fuck him and don't let him return.

I hope you aren't conflicted about cheering for Ray Thornton, Ovie Oghoufo, and Darrian Dunn this season. Hell, Brendon Schooler has transferred from more than 1 school, he's a serial quitter I guess.

I don't care to have Adeoye back mainly because I don't think he's good enough to play at Texas. The quit on the team thing is silly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I hope you aren't conflicted about cheering for Ray Thornton, Ovie Oghoufo, and Darrian Dunn this season. Hell, Brendon Schooler has transferred from more than 1 school, he's a serial quitter I guess.

I don't care to have Adeoye back mainly because I don't think he's good enough to play at Texas. The quit on the team thing is silly. 

Quite a bit of difference between entering the portal and transferring vs entering the portal, not transferring, and then the likelihood of wanting to return to said university you quit on.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Quite a bit of difference between entering the portal and transferring vs entering the portal, not transferring, and then the likelihood of wanting to return to said university you quit on.

You're going to have to walk me through the difference I guess.

Ovie enters the transfer portal and transfers to Texas so he's not a quitter, Texas should be happy to have him and he's disappointing loss for ND. 

Had Ovie entered the transfer portal, decides not to transfer and wants to continue to play for ND, Notre Dame should tell him to kick rocks. He is a quitter.

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

You're going to have to walk me through the difference I guess.

Ovie enters the transfer portal and transfers to Texas so he's not a quitter, Texas should be happy to have him and he's disappointing loss for ND. 

Had Ovie entered the transfer portal, decides not to transfer and wants to continue to play for ND, Notre Dame should tell him to kick rocks. He is a quitter.

Yes. Quit on your team early in the hiring of a new staff only to realize no other major programs want you and you shouldn’t expect to return to said team.