Texas Roster 2021 -- Turn This Shit Around

LTtxfan

Yes.  Height / Weight / Speed has been the foundation of picking football players for as long as football players have been picked.

I can't imagine we have a challenge in this space...  I'm pretty sure we're evaluating the guys we have vs some criteria and we're going to qualify a bunch of them in/out and move on.

Doing this right is not going to be fast... It just won't.  That doesn't mean we can't get better along the way, but to get stocked, locked, and fully loaded takes years.  Let's get it right and keep rolling.  

3 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Yes.  Height / Weight / Speed has been the foundation of picking football players for as long as football players have been picked.

I can't imagine we have a challenge in this space...  I'm pretty sure we're evaluating the guys we have vs some criteria and we're going to qualify a bunch of them in/out and move on.

Doing this right is not going to be fast... It just won't.  That doesn't mean we can't get better along the way, but to get stocked, locked, and fully loaded takes years.  Let's get it right and keep rolling.  

Historically it seems like we’ve never prioritized speed over other measurables. It seems like this is the first staff that has. Correct me if I’m wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Yeah, but SARK has to continue to upgrade SPEED, quickness, and athleticism on this roster...

The current roster at some positions is too slow, weak, and overweight -- not sure this strength and conditioning staff should be retained. 

We lack explosiveness on both the DL & OL as well as LBs...

Edited by LTtxfan
BurntOrange&White beat me to it...
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Historically it seems like we’ve never prioritized speed over other measurables. It seems like this is the first staff that has. Correct me if I’m wrong. 

Brown and Strong seemed to like speed.  Herman seemed to prefer size (except OL) and most of his people are gone.

The Insider from 247 had some good roster stuff on it (Also said that Whittington practiced this week and is going to play Saturday):

Steve Sarkisian said Monday there could be as many as 33 new players on the Longhorns’ roster next season.

Talk about a complete rebuild - unless all the new talent can ball like Sarkisian’s top recruit of 2021 - freshman receiver Xavier Worthy.

Texas currently has 20 seniors listed on its roster. At least six of those seniors - DeMarvion Overshown, D'Shawn Jamison, Ryan Bujcevski, Anthony Cook, Josh Thompson and Cameron Dicker - could use their COVID-19 redshirt to return next season if the coaches want them to return and if the players want to return.

We’re hearing the coaches would like for Overshown, Jamison, Thompson and Cook to return. But, as of right now it’s unclear what those players will do.

Where things get interesting is on special teams. While Bujcevski is likely to move on, Dicker is seriously considering coming back for the 2022 season, because he’s closing in on several big school records, including the most points scored in a career, according to a source close to the situation.

Right now, Dicker has scored 371 points in his UT career, which trails only running backs Ricky Williams (452, 1995-98) and Cedric Benson (404, 2001-04). Dicker has scored 73 points this season on 9-of-11 field goal attempts and 46-of-46 points after touchdowns. And this has been a light year for Dicker in terms of field goal attempts. He was 18-of-25 as a freshman in 2018; 14-of-18 in 2019; and 15-of-21 in 2020.

The problem is Texas already has a scholarship tied up in punter Isaac Pearson, who is currently listed as Dicker’s backup at punter. And Texas has a commitment from three-star kicker Will Stone of Austin Regents. Two scholarships tied up between kickers/punters is considered a lot - let alone three scholarships.

“Right now, I think it’s 70-30 that Dicker wants to come back for another year,” a source said. “We’ll see what the coaches want.”

Obviously, there would have to be a whole lot of players run off … er … who decide to move on from the program to make room for 33 new players.

And that process has begun, we’re told.

I mentioned being surprised not to see sophomore offensive lineman Tyler Johnson as part of the travel squad to Iowa State a couple weeks ago.

As I’ve stated previously, Tom Herman’s staff placed a high priority on getting Johnson developed as a starter for the 2021 season - even starting Johnson at right guard in last season’s Alamo Bowl victory over Colorado - a game in which Johnson graded out pretty well.

Johnson, however, hasn’t been practicing or traveling with the team for the past three weeks, a source told Horns247. Depending on who you talk to, Johnson is either suspended from the team or simply done with football at Texas (or both), although his name hasn’t surfaced yet in the transfer portal.

Johnson never exhibited the urgency and intensity offensive coordinator Kyle Flood was looking for, according to a source.

Another team source said Johnson, a four-star recruit in UT’s 2019 class, was content to be a part of the team and wear the UT gear around campus and down on Sixth Street, but “had other interests and just lacked the want-to to be great. Had the physical tools. Just didn’t want it badly enough.”

Johnson was the No. 58 prospect nationally; No. 9 in Texas and the No. 8 offensive tackle in the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports composite ranking.

Senior receiver Montrell Estell is also no longer with the team, a source told Horns247.

Estell played in 27 games as a defensive back, including two starts in 2019 against Oklahoma State and TCU, before switching to receiver for the 2021 season.

On Monday, Sarkisian said there’ll be a priority on bringing in top offensive and defensive linemen as part of his roster overhaul.

“This is still an in-the-trenches game,” Sarkisian said. “And when you can win the line of scrimmage, you bolster your chances of winning football games, and I think we’re doing a heck of a job recruiting that.

“If we can keep the guys here that are good players for us, which is the plan, they’re more mature. They’re more physical. They’ve been in a college weightlifting program. They’re becoming grown men. They have more experience either blocking or taking on blocks.”

From what we’re hearing, the guys currently in the trenches who Sarkisian would like to keep on the offensive line include: juniors Junior Angilau and Christian Jones; sophomore Isaiah Hookfin; redshirt freshmen Jake Majors, Andrej Karic, Logan Parr and Jaylen Garth; as well as true freshman Hayden Conner.

On the defensive line, the coaches want everyone currently in the two-deep to come back and want to add to that group - as evidenced by UT’s current list of commitments for 2022.

Heard this week junior tight end Jared Wiley (seven catches for 43 yards and two touchdowns in 2021) is thinking about moving on from UT.

Texas loses super senior tight end Cade Brewer (14 catches for 115 yards and two TDs in 2021) to graduation.

Sarkisian has said he believes freshmen tight ends Gunnar Helm, Ja'Tavion Sanders and Juan Davis are going to be big-time players for Texas.

• Like 1

I mentioned being surprised not to see sophomore offensive lineman Tyler Johnson as part of the travel squad to Iowa State a couple weeks ago.  Johnson, however, hasn’t been practicing or traveling with the team for the past three weeks, a source told Horns247. Depending on who you talk to, Johnson is either suspended from the team or simply done with football at Texas (or both), although his name hasn’t surfaced yet in the transfer portal.  Johnson never exhibited the urgency and intensity offensive coordinator Kyle Flood was looking for, according to a source.  Another team source said Johnson, a four-star recruit in UT’s 2019 class, was content to be a part of the team and wear the UT gear around campus and down on Sixth Street, but “had other interests and just lacked the want-to to be great. Had the physical tools. Just didn’t want it badly enough.”

Tyler Johnson has always seemed more interested in his music career than football which is fine -- glad to hear he no longer will be taking up a roster spot.

Heard this week junior tight end Jared Wiley (seven catches for 43 yards and two touchdowns in 2021) is thinking about moving on from UT.

Wiley needs to go somewhere else for a new start -- he was unhappy all last year.  

Texas currently has 20 seniors listed on its roster. At least six of those seniors could use their COVID-19 redshirt to return next season if the coaches want them to return and if the players want to return:  - DeMarvion Overshown, D'Shawn Jamison, Ryan Bujcevski, Anthony Cook, Josh Thompson and Cameron Dicker.

We’re hearing the coaches would like for Overshown, Jamison, Thompson and Cook to return. But, as of right now it’s unclear what those players will do.

Where things get interesting is on special teams. While Bujcevski is likely to move on, Dicker is seriously considering coming back for the 2022 season, because he’s closing in on several big school records, including the most points scored in a career, according to a source close to the situation.

Right now, Dicker has scored 371 points in his UT career, which trails only running backs Ricky Williams (452, 1995-98) and Cedric Benson (404, 2001-04). Dicker has scored 73 points this season on 9-of-11 field goal attempts and 46-of-46 points after touchdowns. And this has been a light year for Dicker in terms of field goal attempts. He was 18-of-25 as a freshman in 2018; 14-of-18 in 2019; and 15-of-21 in 2020.

The problem is Texas already has a scholarship tied up in punter Isaac Pearson, who is currently listed as Dicker’s backup at punter. And Texas has a commitment from three-star kicker Will Stone of Austin Regents. Two scholarships tied up between kickers/punters is considered a lot - let alone three scholarships.

“Right now, I think it’s 70-30 that Dicker wants to come back for another year,” a source said. “We’ll see what the coaches want.”

So Dicker could return... Wonder if any of these Senior DBs that still have a Covid year will choose to return for Texas... 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Unless the HORNS win next two games, I hope SARK/CDC are smart enough to turn down a bowl invite if the team is 5-7.
  •   Go right to work on Roster rebuilding thru recruiting and Transfer Portal  
  • This locker room is a mess and it's both the coaches and players faults. 
  • We really are in a tear it down to the "studs & foundation" moment as described by Joel Klatt

Go to the 6 minute mark...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

So is Omeire done or is that an assumption?  I know he's out this year, but I guess I missed anything on him taking a medical out.  Which is too bad, I was really hoping he could show out next year.

Some on Surly have predicted medical retirement -- but Omeire had a 2nd knee surgery back in August, and has been working on rehabbing to return... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I din't really know where else to put this and at this point it doesn't warrant it's own thread, but...

What the fuck is Ja'tavion Sanders still doing as the 5th string TE when we're in such desperate need of an Edge rusher?

I assume he'll portal.

He's been a WR the last two years of high school. He's having to learn to be a complete tight end, including blocking. He needs to develop more physically as well. He has no desire to play defense and forcing him to is a waste. He's happy with his progress, he's happy to be at Texas and they are redshirting him. We will see him next year. Your post is stupid and you should feel bad for even asking. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/17/2021 at 11:39 AM, LTtxfan said:

West Virginia Game...

FEV1eEkX0AIHF-M?format=jpg&name=large

Merging this with rumors and Sarks comments, I think we will be fine at RB, WR, TE, DL, and ST (I expect Dicker back) without help from the portal or incoming true freshman.  So that leaves:

QB: Thompson and Card have shown pretty conclusively that they aren’t good enough.  This will need to be addressed via the portal. Other teams have shown you can get a stud QB that way, and Sark is supposed to be the fucking QB whisperer.

OL: Angilau and Majors are adequate starters, while the other guys expected to return will fill out the 2nd and 3rd string adequately.  So Texas will need to add 3 starters.  That’s an extremely tall order given the difficulty freshman typically have playing right away.  Which OL Sark adds via the portal will likely define Texas’ success next season.

LB: They might be able to develop one internal option as a decent starter, and should have a solid 2nd string between the returnees and recruits.  And obviously if they somehow are able to talk Overshown into returning then this problem is pretty solved.  Otherwise, they need to find at least one really good LB in the portal (unless they somehow get Harold Perkins).

DB: I don’t know what Jamison and Thompson’s NFL prospects currently look like, but getting either or both of those guys back would be big.  I think even if they get both back they will need to add at least one portal player (unless they get Denver Harris).

So the minimum portal need is 2 OL, 1 LB, and 1 DB.  Ideally between covid seniors and the portal they would get: 1 QB, 3 OL, 2 LB, and 3 DB.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

I din't really know where else to put this and at this point it doesn't warrant it's own thread, but...

What the fuck is Ja'tavion Sanders still doing as the 5th string TE when we're in such desperate need of an Edge rusher?

I assume he'll portal.

he has less than zero interest in playing DL.

IT on players who could return or leave:

Staying or leaving

A number of Texas players will have the option to return for one final year or leave early. Along with the team underwhelming, a numerous individual players who expected to have breakout seasons did not. Most of these players are leaning one way or the other with a decision yet to be made. We'll continue tracking these players going forward.

CB Josh Thompson: The corner had a solid season and already fit NFL size/athleticism specs. The physicality he displayed this year will give him a good ceiling as a safety if corner doesn't work out in the NFL. With his injury, we feel confident Josh T. has played his final game at Texas.

CB D'Shawn Jamison: Jamison did not display the improved consistency we were hoping to see at corner. He was at times dangerous as a returner, and that has caught the eye of NFL scouts. He's had his share of scouts come through and check him out. At this time, no decision has been made. He seems to go back and forth. A return is possible and would be big for the program as corner depth could help the staff address issues elsewhere in the secondary.

DB BJ Foster: We do not expect Foster to return but have not heard that definitively.

DB Anthony Cook: The nickel had a pretty strong year in his first season as an entrenched starter. He's heavily considering returning to Texas. His thinking per a source is, "It's not the right time. We're not done yet."

LB DeMarvion Overshown: Overshown is probably leaving, but like Cook, he doesn't want to go out like this. There's a chance he returns but we'd call it slight.

DL Keondre Coburn: One source thinks he's leaving and another thinks he's staying. So, we're not sure.

DL T'Vondre Sweat: Sweat is another player we're monitoring. There's some talk he may depart, and maybe not necessarily for an NFL training camp.

While fans may not see individual ability, partially due to unit struggles, who knows what scouts and agents are telling them.

These decisions are in a constant state of flux, not unlike recruits getting ready to pick a school. We'll continue monitoring as best we can.

We also know of a few guys who will hit the portal in search of playing time. We'll keep those names private until after the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He's been a WR the last two years of high school. He's having to learn to be a complete tight end, including blocking. He needs to develop more physically as well. He has no desire to play defense and forcing him to is a waste. He's happy with his progress, he's happy to be at Texas and they are redshirting him. We will see him next year. Your post is stupid and you should feel bad for even asking. 

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

he has less than zero interest in playing DL.

Who gives a shit what he wants?

Listening to Burton and Nahlin talk about the o-line, they want to get two OT’s who can start next year, through the portal most likely.  Even all of the elite OL they are recruiting won’t be on campus until the summer and you can’t expect them to start right away. Apparently the staff would like to move Angilau to C, move Jones inside to G, and probably play Conner at the other G position. 

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

if you don't want to see him portal in about 0.2 seconds, then you should. he has made it clear in interviews how he feels. IIRC he touched on this in the Burnt Ends podcast, right @RGBIII?

Ya he has zero interest. Forcing something like that would be stupid

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I just thought it was him being mediocre. The interview he gave a week ago or whatever was more definitive for me, and of course now this

Gotta say Coburn's on the field "effort" definitely has been lacking at times -- not sure why SARK has featured him so often in the weekly player availability segments (unless Coburn is really popular w/teammates?).  

The Coburn thing really begs the question - if he’s either not good enough or not committed enough that you’d want him back, which would seem to be a relatively easy sell with the playing time and opportunity to improve draft standing and go out on a better note - why has he been on the field at all?

2022 scholarship roster based on senior day release and compiled rumors:

QB (4): TBD portal, Card, Wright, Murphy

RB (6): Bijan, Roschon, Keilan, Brooks, Miller, Blue

WR (10): Worthy, Whittington, Washington, Dixon, Omeire, Cain, Alexis, Winfield, TBD recruitx2

TE (3): Sanders, Helm, Davis

OL (15): TBD portalx2, Angilau, Majors, Karic, Jones, Conner, Parr, Hookfin, Garth, Merril, Robertson, Hutson, TBD recruitx2

DL (17): Collins, Ojomo, Sweat, Oghoufu, Murphy, Brown, Broughton, Tapp, Sorrell, Bledsoe, Finkley, Thomas, Jones, Bryant, Ross, Swanson, TBD recruit

LB (12): Overshown, TBD portal, Ford, Gbenda, Richardson, Brockermeyer, Abiara, Harris, Blackwell, Johnson, Kerry, TBD recruit

DB (13): Jamison, Cook, Adimora, Thompson, Barron, Crawford, Johnson, Allen, Jordan, Coffey, Ibraheem, Lewis, TBD recruit

ST (3): Pearson, Stone, St. Louis

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1