2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

Got my tinfoil hat on here but anyone else think Harden and Kyrie are working together to a) force HOU's hand to trade him and b) make Kyrie look bad enough that HOU would do the deal without insisting on Kyrie being a part of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

it's four first rounders though.  how is brooklyn going to have a team? they just lost a lot of depth.

Four late first rounders.    They will fill in their roster with vets that wanna try to win a ring after buyout season starts and min guys 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Seems like all this was orchestrated by Kyrie and Harden to force this to happen quicker.

I have no idea how Harden, KD and Kyrie are going to exist on the court but it'll be entertaining to watch.

1 minute ago, McCroskey said:

Bunch of teams that thought they had a nice shot to win a title just said "oh shit."  Still, as just stated who is to say how well these three will play together but they certainly have the talent to go all the way, easily.

I am going to guess that Giannis is not scared to play against them. The East now has three teams who have a realistic shot at playing the Lakers for the title. Good luck to whichever one gets to be victim #18.

The NBA is insane. That's a pretty good haul for Houston all things considered, especially if they can re-sign Oladipo.  Brooklyn certainly putting all of its chips into the center of the table but there's only one basketball to go around and all three of those guys need it in their hands. They also gave up a good chunk of what used to be a very deep bench.

I'm going to need some sort of diagram to keep up with all of those pick swaps.  I thought Houston gave up a bunch of them to get rid of Chris Paul?

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The NBA is insane. That's a pretty good haul for Houston all things considered, especially if they can re-sign Oladipo.  Brooklyn certainly putting all of its chips into the center of the table but there's only one basketball to go around and all three of those guys need it in their hands. They also gave up a good chunk of what used to be a very deep bench.

I'm going to need some sort of diagram to keep up with all of those pick swaps.  I thought Houston gave up a bunch of them to get rid of Chris Paul?

They did give up quite a few picks to get cp3 so this gives them back some picks but most of them will be pretty late as BKN will be good most of the next 6 yrs with those 3.  the pick swaps are just fluff in these kinda deals HOU's picks will better that BKN's during that time so no swap would happen

16 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I am going to guess that Giannis is not scared to play against them. 

Is Giannis the current belt-holder in the East? He already had Philly and Boston to worry about. Not to mention the Heat and Nets as already constructed. He has a lot to prove whether he's "scared" or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
14 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
Now the Nets are a contender.

Now?? They were already one before Harden got there. They gave up a lot of depth for Harden. 3 ball dominant guys who need the ball to succeed.

I don't think they were.

But I just looked at the trade. They traded all their young depth and not Kyrie? Yikes.

Shit show incoming.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Yeah... maybe. Or (more likely) they are wanting to cash in on a 2-3 year window and don't give a fuck what 2025 and 2027 look like right now.

"What are you doing? What if you guys suck in 2026! You might be giving away a top 5 pick!"

(Looks at roster with Kyrie, Harden and KD on it) 

"I guess we'll have to take that risk"

10 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Great trade for Cleveland.

Taurean Prince & Jarrett Allen for Dante Exum and the Bucks 2022 first rounder?

Take a bow Koby.

Just need to unload Drummond and Love for some young talent and/or picks.

Yep, them and IND are the clear winners in the trade.   IND got a borderline all-star on a good deal for the expiring contract of Oladipo

26 minutes ago, d2o said:

They did give up quite a few picks to get cp3 so this gives them back some picks but most of them will be pretty late as BKN will be good most of the next 6 yrs with those 3.  the pick swaps are just fluff in these kinda deals HOU's picks will better that BKN's during that time so no swap would happen

Agreed. Barring some sort of injury or rash of injuries, the pick swaps in the near term are useless. They're like LSU self-imposing a bowl ban this year. The rest of the picks honestly aren't much better.

Here is the breakdown
2021 Right to swap with BKN -- ain't happening. It's not worth the effort typing it up in a tweet.
2022 BKN first -- last 4-5 picks in the first round most likely
2022 MIL first -- last 4-5 picks in the first round most likely
2023 Right to swap with BKN -- another doubtful swap.
2024 BKN first -- maybe this will be worth something. Durant would be 35 and his contract is up after 2023 if he doesn't re-up. Harden is a year younger but he's up in 2023 too.
2025 Right to swap with BKN -- crapshoot. 
2026 BKN first -- crapshoot.
2027 Right to swap with BKN -- crapshoot.

Who knows what the Nets will be by 2025-27, but their ability to attract free agents and having a competent front office probably portends pretty well for them. I don't know that the Rockets got a ton out of this other than getting below the cap and rolling the dice betting against the Nets. Oladipo is a weird deal - great player, but expiring contract and fairly extensive injury history and he's probably going to want a max or near max deal. 

54 minutes ago, d2o said:

20 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Agreed. Barring some sort of injury or rash of injuries, the pick swaps in the near term are useless. They're like LSU self-imposing a bowl ban this year. The rest of the picks honestly aren't much better.

Here is the breakdown
2021 Right to swap with BKN -- ain't happening. It's not worth the effort typing it up in a tweet.
2022 BKN first -- last 4-5 picks in the first round most likely
2022 MIL first -- last 4-5 picks in the first round most likely
2023 Right to swap with BKN -- another doubtful swap.
2024 BKN first -- maybe this will be worth something. Durant would be 35 and his contract is up after 2023 if he doesn't re-up. Harden is a year younger but he's up in 2023 too.
2025 Right to swap with BKN -- crapshoot. 
2026 BKN first -- crapshoot.
2027 Right to swap with BKN -- crapshoot.

Who knows what the Nets will be by 2025-27, but their ability to attract free agents and having a competent front office probably portends pretty well for them. I don't know that the Rockets got a ton out of this other than getting below the cap and rolling the dice betting against the Nets. Oladipo is a weird deal - great player, but expiring contract and fairly extensive injury history and he's probably going to want a max or near max deal. 

Wait you guys think that those three are going to stay cohesive and together for six-plus years?

I would be a near-infinite amount of money that those three won't all be on the nets in 2027. Literal free money.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I would be a near-infinite amount of money that those three won't all be on the nets in 2027. Literal free money.

How about late-2022?

I actually think they'll be pretty compatible for about a year. They'll bond over being misunderstood and thinking the media is out to get them. But if they don't have a title by next June, that shit is going sideways quick.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Wait you guys think that those three are going to stay cohesive and together for six-plus years?

No. I think that Brooklyn, right behind the Lakers, is the premiere free agent destination in the league and that even if they blow it up by then they will be able to attract the next disgruntled free agent superstar. 

• Hook 'Em 2