2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Kid seems to have a lot of issues.  May have to go play overseas for awhile and mature.

Yeah that is why he fell in the draft.     He seems to be extremely talented though.   I think he gets another shot somewhere especially if he ends up just being cut.    A team will give him a non-guaranteed deal to see if he can produce and not be too much trouble.

24 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah that is why he fell in the draft.     He seems to be extremely talented though.   I think he gets another shot somewhere especially if he ends up just being cut.    A team will give him a non-guaranteed deal to see if he can produce and not be too much trouble.

Possibly.  Normally I'd say yes and throw him in the G-league, but with the bubble environment of the G-league plus the challenging protocols, not sure if that's best for him.  No idea what his specific problems are other than obviously being immature and "attitude" issues.

57 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Kid seems to have a lot of issues.  May have to go play overseas for awhile and mature.

He hit em with the ol' JR Smith soup toss.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Possibly.  Normally I'd say yes and throw him in the G-league, but with the bubble environment of the G-league plus the challenging protocols, not sure if that's best for him.  No idea what his specific problems are other than obviously being immature and "attitude" issues.

Yeah. You can also get your ass busted in the G League if you aren't careful. Some guys never make it back out. 

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Have fun.

The Ws needed to win to snowball things but it's not like winning was the only factor there. The Bay Area is a massive market - 6th in the US in terms of TV homes. The markets ahead of it, in terms of their team valuations, are:

1. New York - Knicks 1st, Nets 4th

2. LA - Lakers 3rd, Clippers 8th

3. Chicago - Bulls 6th

4. Philly - Sixers 11th

5. Dallas - Mavs 9th

6. Bay Area - Ws 2nd 

The Knicks, Nets and Clippers are all in the top 8. Off the top of my head - the Knicks haven't been in a conference final in 22 years - Nets 17 years - Clippers - I think it's up to like 50 years?

The Spurs are the other good example of how winning changes things.

30. San Antonio - Spurs 13th 

There's no reason the Spurs should be in the top half of that table. Except that they won a fuckton and have a rabid, loyal fanbase because of it. 

Portland is a weird one too as they are middle of the pack valuation wise but way down in terms of size as a TV market. But they get a bump from the Blazers being their only pro team (only pro team in the state, in fact) and I would imagine from Seattle not having a team. 

The worst valuations compared to market size are Phoenix (11th TV market, 23rd in valuation) and Atlanta (10th, 25th). Phoenix has never won a title but they've been far from bottom of the barrel in the past 30 years. 

#s 4-10 in TV market size are all very comparable and the only outlier is the Wizards who come in at 14th. Every other team in a top 10 market is in the top 11 at least, I beleive. 

Not sure where I was going with all of that - just some thoughts I guess. 

15 minutes ago, d2o said:

Dude may be flaky but between this and paying for college for a bunch of kids and paying salary for WNBA players dude has been putting his money behind his talk about social issues.

He also donated food, PPE and other supplies to a native American tribe.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

that was a very good last few minutes of basketball (might have been a complete game of it, but i only saw the last 3ish minutes).

Just caught the end so no context how the rest of the game went, but it looks like I missed a fun one.  Wow, Green/Harris 9-12 from 3 checking box score, now that's getting it done, wow!  Harden getting them some great looks?  (Harden to me is sometimes underrated as a play maker because of his scoring, and I definitely think he should dominate the ball the most with Durant off ball and Kyrie kind of playing a small SG in a sense at times.)  I hope these two teams meet in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, UTDD said:

Just caught the end so no context how the rest of the game went, but it looks like I missed a fun one.  Wow, Green/Harris 9-12 from 3 checking box score, now that's getting it done, wow!  Harden getting them some great looks?  (Harden to me is sometimes underrated as a play maker because of his scoring, and I definitely think he should dominate the ball the most with Durant off ball and Kyrie kind of playing a small SG in a sense at times.)  I hope these two teams meet in the playoffs.

harden is an incredible playmaker.  i don't know where the national narrative that he's a ball stopping hero ball player came from, but as someone who has watched him night and night out for 8+ years, it always baffled me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

harden is an incredible playmaker.  i don't know where the national narrative that he's a ball stopping hero ball player came from, but as someone who has watched him night and night out for 8+ years, it always baffled me. 

It's not what he does with the ball, but what he does (or doesn't do) when the ball's not in his hands.

36 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

he's a great point guard, and while he handled it like a toddler...he did finally admit to himself his NBA ceiling is a #2 on a title contending team.  He said as much when saying the Rockets weren't good enough, he wasn't good enough, but so few truly are (they all think they are as they should).  I'm sure Wall and Cousins thought the same thing at some point.

But fuck him and may he never win a title

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And almost for the loss. Middleton had a great look to end it. 

KD did lose the ball for no apparent reason, but KM's shot was not a great look. he makes that shot 2-3 times out of 10. 

also, it was cool to see KD and DJ on the court together. I wonder if they swapped jerseys afterward. 

I think there is a reasonable chance that Kyrie's recent actions were part of the strategy to get Harden.  If he were healthy and playing well, it is possible he would have been part of Houston's demands.  Or involved in the 3-4 team trade in some way.  I don't think it is LIKELY this happened, but it is possible.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, conVINCEd said:

Steph is 100% completely untouchable.  The riots in the Bay Area would make the recent violence in our Capitol look tame (a little sarcasm there). He is probably the last guy that is absolutely, completely tied to his team.  Dirk, Duncan, and Kobe were the last guys before Steph, and Steph will be the last one.

unconVINCEd

although i will say this- Nikola Jokic has an outstanding playoff record- definite skins on the wall for a guy with his best basketball still ahead of him. he's proven that he not only maintains his elite play during the playoffs, but he even steps up his play, and along with Murray has led the Nuggets to multiple comebacks down 3-1 in a playoff series. Jokic, and to a lesser degree Doncic and Giannis, are nipping at the heels of the LeBron/KD generation of stars. the new wave of stars ascending and winning titles is going to be something to behold over the next 8-10 years. 

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that was a lot of people's opinion before his injury. not gonna argue with anyone who feels that way now. 

Felt that way before injury, his performance against the Cavs where he came down and nailed a cold-blooded 3 in front of LeBron in the Finals just sealed it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Felt that way before injury, his performance against the Cavs where he came down and nailed a cold-blooded 3 in front of LeBron in the Finals just sealed it.  

I'll never forgive Breen for that lackluster call of one of the biggest shots in NBA history.