2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Tough that Conley has still never made an All-Star team. Maybe he gets selected as Davis' injury replacement.

He’s never been better than the 4th best PG in the west.  I will acknowledge that you might be able to dig up a year or two when he was deserving, but that year ain’t this year. 

Curry

Luka

Dame

Paul

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He’s never been better than the 4th best PG in the west.  I will acknowledge that you might be able to dig up a year or two when he was deserving, but that year ain’t this year. 

Curry

Luka

Dame

Paul

I know. Going through his entire career, if they didn't divide the teams by conference he would have a shot.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Devin Booker gets the nod to replace Anthony Davis in the All-Star Game.

Deservedly so. Still no all star game for Conley. Can’t say there has ever been a year where I’d pound the table and say he got robbed, but hard to believe you can be that good for that long and not make the all star game. 

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Deservedly so. Still no all star game for Conley. Can’t say there has ever been a year where I’d pound the table and say he got robbed, but hard to believe you can be that good for that long and not make the all star game. 

The Ringer did a deep dive if you’re interested.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2/23/22298428/mike-conley-all-star-reservers-snub

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

they never figured out how to integrate Gordon Hayward, and now he's balling out in Charlotte, and Boston is slacking. bet they wish they could do that one over. 

There were locker room issues, and when that happens and you are third in the pecking order, you get moved.

Edited by conVINCEd

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

There were locker room issues, and when that happens and you are third in the pecking order, you get moved.

The "force feed" thing?  I mean, I think everyone had the best intentions as Marcus Smart pointed out, Hayward's body simply wasn't ready to react the way they hoped and in turn, they were stunting Jaylon Brown's development.  It's really a shame as circumstance thwarted the Hayward era for Boston.  Bad luck, not really anyone's fault on the court. 

Now, from a management perspective, you have to wonder about Ainge.  Won't go get Kawhi, loses Kyrie, overpays for Kemba, maybe overpays for Smart.  Tatum and Brown are good, but probably a little too young right now to lead a championship team.  They're sort of cursed with being good, but not great and that doesn't look to be changing.  Kemba had a bad knee and Ainge was trying to unload him at the beginning of the year which have muddied the water with some teams with trades.  Ainge has done a good job of stockpiling assets, but a lousy job of using those assets.  It's got to be frustrating for fans, but hey, they're still a team that wins a lot of games and gets to the playoffs.

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The "force feed" thing?  I mean, I think everyone had the best intentions as Marcus Smart pointed out, Hayward's body simply wasn't ready to react the way they hoped and in turn, they were stunting Jaylon Brown's development.  It's really a shame as circumstance thwarted the Hayward era for Boston.  Bad luck, not really anyone's fault on the court. 

Now, from a management perspective, you have to wonder about Ainge.  Won't go get Kawhi, loses Kyrie, overpays for Kemba, maybe overpays for Smart.  Tatum and Brown are good, but probably a little too young right now to lead a championship team.  They're sort of cursed with being good, but not great and that doesn't look to be changing.  Kemba had a bad knee and Ainge was trying to unload him at the beginning of the year which have muddied the water with some teams with trades.  Ainge has done a good job of stockpiling assets, but a lousy job of using those assets.  It's got to be frustrating for fans, but hey, they're still a team that wins a lot of games and gets to the playoffs.

I think it’s a little deeper than that.  Three or four different factors, none of which would be a dealbreaker on their own, but combined created some toxicity there.  He didn’t want to be there anymore, which is why he opted out of the final year of his deal and didn’t even negotiate with Boston. He cut his deal with Charlotte really quickly, and Boston was able to patch together a S&T after the act to at least get a trade exemption out of the deal.   If He doesn’t snap his leg in half 5 minutes after joining the team this whole conversation is probably moot, but he did.

35 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I think it’s a little deeper than that.  Three or four different factors, none of which would be a dealbreaker on their own, but combined created some toxicity there.  He didn’t want to be there anymore, which is why he opted out of the final year of his deal and didn’t even negotiate with Boston. He cut his deal with Charlotte really quickly, and Boston was able to patch together a S&T after the act to at least get a trade exemption out of the deal.   If He doesn’t snap his leg in half 5 minutes after joining the team this whole conversation is probably moot, but he did.

Definitely can see it, as it seems there's always some situation going on there.  But I agree with the last part, the injury just crushed his time there, it colored everything.

My questions are more about Ainge.  Again, not the worst situation in the world.  They win a lot and are in the playoffs with a chance in a weak conference.  A lot of organizations would trade with them.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

The Jazz might be legit. But I'm having a hard time getting a read on this AD-less Lakers team. I don't know if they're just bad or uninspired or what but beating them right now is barely an accomplishment.

Bron can deny it all he wants but the minutes are taking a toll. He has a fraction of the lift he used to have. He almost killed himself on an alley oop last night barely getting the ball over the rim. Two years ago he would have been eye level with the rim.

28 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Bron can deny it all he wants but the minutes are taking a toll. He has a fraction of the lift he used to have. He almost killed himself on an alley oop last night barely getting the ball over the rim. Two years ago he would have been eye level with the rim.

Time and pussy. 

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

The Jazz might be legit. But I'm having a hard time getting a read on this AD-less Lakers team. I don't know if they're just bad or uninspired or what but beating them right now is barely an accomplishment.

Pulled the trigger finally on a Rudy Gobert jersey. I love playing with that guy in NBA2k21, what can I say?

This whole "Kobe as the logo" movement is bizarre to me. Maybe because I hated Kobe as a player and he always seemed like a terrible person and I'm resistant to the whole whitewashing his untimely death unleashed. I'm not opposed to the NBA updating the logo to feature a black player, though. I could see Kareem's sky hook, Dr. J, Lebron, or even Curry. MJ probably not an option for licensing reasons. Basically I'm team anybody but Kobe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

This whole "Kobe as the logo" movement is bizarre to me. Maybe because I hated Kobe as a player and he always seemed like a terrible person and I'm resistant to the whole whitewashing his untimely death unleashed. I'm not opposed to the NBA updating the logo to feature a black player, though. I could see Kareem's sky hook, Dr. J, Lebron, or even Curry. MJ probably not an option for licensing reasons. Basically I'm team anybody but Kobe.

Cancelled. 

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

People have definitely gone over the top with the Kobe thing.    They already named the ASG MVP for him.   I think that is quite fitting and more than enough.

Kareem and the hook would be tight but honestly if it just had to be changed I would change it to Russell.    A black man going through all that he had to go through during that time and leading his team and consequently the league to greater heights.     He always carried himself with class and dignity but would never pass on an opportunity to stand up for what is right.    

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No reason to change the logo tbh. Especially not to Kobe. To me if you were gonna change it there are only two contenders. Russell, for that he did for the game and civil rights, or Jordan, because he’s the most famous athlete in history.

And Jordan’s logo is already taken. Who started this stupid discussion? Kyrie? Can we ship that motherfucker to flat-Mars yet?

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe just don't have a stupid fucking all star game.

Exactly. Absolutely no point to have one this year. Do like the NFL did and have some interactive gaming session or something. Otherwise, let the players get some rest and chill. Without the fans and all the experience of All Star Weekend, it is pointless. All Star Weekend was way more than just the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

Smart to just wait with Durant.  The Nets are now playing so well without Durant that there is no urgency at all.  I assume the second vote getter might have to do the draft stuff for the All-Star game?  Or do they let Durant do it anyway?  Or go with top rated by vote weight?  Beal?  Giannis?  And should I even care?  (this is the year to not do the game...)

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Maybe just don't have a stupid fucking all star game.

This all driven by TV contracts and the owners.   I cant imagine any players pushing for it but I'm sure it was a part of their agreement with ownership.    It is what it is